Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Options
    bedabibedabi Member Posts: 149
    If I have time, I let my engine warm up till the coolant temp gauge (the one on the dash) hits the middle. And even then I take it slowly, because the coolant heats up far quicker than the oil, and warm oil is what you'r really waiting for. If I'm in a rush (like everyday weekday morning)I drive very slowly, not letting the RPMs go above 3000 until it warms up. It's pretty easy to tell when the engine's ready, because it responds much better. Just tap on the gas while in neutral (manual). If's it's cold, the engine will hardly rev at all. When it's warm, it revs freely.
  • Options
    mgreene1mgreene1 Member Posts: 116
    For going up steep hills when engine is cold:

It would be easier on the car to use higher rpms (4000 to 5000) in a lower gear than to make the turbo work in a higher gear.

Turbos hate to spin with cold oil and they will make a more distinct whine.

Over time, you can get a pretty good idea how the turbos ought to sound under different conditions, so the turbo noise can be your "oil temp" gauge.

As paisan noted, a good rule of thumb is to wait until the water is up to temp, but if the turbo still complain more than it should, the oil is not yet warm enough.
  • Options
    mike367mike367 Member Posts: 6
    Why are there 3 WRX message boards in here when the topics in each are alomost always related?Would anyone else here like to see just a single WRX board so you don't have to check all 3? If so, any suggestions as to how to accomplish this?
  • Options
    huibregtsehuibregtse Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know something abouty the agreement between GM and Subaru for development of products? My immediate interest is the chance that GM employee family discounts will extend to Subaru products. Sounds like a longshot, but can't help hoping.
  • Options
    taos2taos2 Member Posts: 31
    I posted the identical opinion weeks ago and
    was totally ignored.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    taos2, if you posted that here, I'm sorry, I did not see it.

When you are on the Owners Club board, you are looking at some discussions that are exclusive to that board, and some that reside on other boards but are linked to the Owners club for convenience.

In the Subaru Owners Club, there are two WRX discussions that are actually hosted on the Station Wagons board, and one hosted here on the Sedans board. Since the Town Hall is divided into Sedans, Station Wagons, Hatchbacks, SUVs, etc., it does make sense to maintain separate discussions on each of the appropriate boards.

I'm not sure why there are two separate discussions under Station Wagons, though. Perhaps a post to Revka asking about that would give you an explanation.

I realize this doesn't resolve your request, but I hope it helps you understand why you see what you do.

If you use subscriptions, it is very easy to keep up with new posts in all discussions of interest to you by using your Message Center and the Read Subscriptions button. If you haven't tried this, I highly recommend it.

Happy holidays to everyone!!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    ltcolumboltcolumbo Member Posts: 40
    I'm concerned with rock chips/dings on the front of the hood. Has anyone used the acrylic deflector? Did it make any difference in wind noise due to airflow disturbances? Thanks!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Why not put a link in sedans and wagons to the same actual board? Since they are the same cars then it will in effect be consolidated but at the same time appear to people looking in both the sedans and the wagons boards. That would make more sense to me, but what do I know.

-mike
  • Options
    ramiller1ramiller1 Member Posts: 124
    The front hood deflector is not recommended for the WRX--probably because rapid acceleration and high top speed might cause it to separate from the hood. Stongard would be a better (if more expensive) solution to protect the paint.

To answer your original question, the acrylic deflectors do the job well--we have one on our Forester--no real wind noise that I've noticed, and help protect your windshield too.
    --RA
  • Options
    I also see the trailer hitch is not listed as an option for the WRX either. Wonder why that is. I've always wondered if the "bras" don't do their own kind of damage to the paint (gentle sanding).
  • Options
    my buddy who is a subie dealer has hitches as an option on the WRXs from the port.

-mike
  • Options
    um, guys, before we start discussing a set of Back-Off! mudflaps and a horse trailer for the WRX, I think you two may have stumbled onto the wrong forum . . .I believe the Chevy Suburban is listed under SUVs. :)))
  • Options
    The WRX *can* tow and mud-flaps are std equipment outside the US, unless of course when you are rallying you want to ruin your paint! :)

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd want to tow with a WRX. The powerband and turbo lag make for a less than ideal tow vehicle IMO.

I'm not even sure Subaru recommends towing with the WRX.

Bob
  • Options
    towing is not really recommended but you can if using a proper set-up. I agree that the lack of low end torque wouldn't help things any.
    But I'll go along with installing the mudflaps to protect the paint.
    Say, where can I get a satellite dish to mount on the roof . . .ok, just kidding--I'll give it a rest :)
  • Options
    I think it is up to 1500lbs which isn't much, but if you tow something like a jetski or motorbike it wouldn't be bad. Also a hitch can be useful for extra storage on trips and/or bike rack.

-mike
  • Options
    Exactly my point!! Thanks for "gettin' real".
  • Options
    where you guys are going with this. . . my apologies. I imagine something fairly light like that wouldn't present a problem as long as you don't tax the engine too much.

The Stongard is not really a car bra in the conventional sense. It is a clear plastic that is applied with adhesive directly to the front end--protects very well, although it will set you back several hundred bucks or more, depending on where you go.
    --RA
  • Options
    alaskans13alaskans13 Member Posts: 22
    Hood deflectors aren't recommended because besides deflecting rocks, they also deflect air that is meant to hit the hood scoop.
  • Options
    rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Member Posts: 140
    plus they act as a wing and create lift. Or maybe they are reverse spoilers and create downforce.
    Wait, I know. What am I thinking? The deflectors are used to ward off Klingon torpedoes.
  • Options
    If anything they would create downforce, but the point that it may deflect air over the IC intake may merit some research. i like the deflectors on my cars and they've saved my windshields and hoods from much damage. Traditional Bras are a no-no unless you like to take them off weekly and clean under them. Any dirt that builds up will act like sand paper and take your paint off in a month or 2.

-mike
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's more the WRX's powerband. As you know, there's not much (power) down low, which is what you need for towing. I'd be worried about abusing the clutch, assuming it's a manual.

Bob
  • Options
    Depending on how far etc, you can probably tow a decent amount. For a few years we towed our boats the 10 or 15 miles from our house on our lake upstate NY to a nearby lake with our plymouth reliant K and our boats weighed about 2K lbs. If you have a house with a boat and need to move em down the road a piece a few times a year it's not going to be an issue. Of course if you are planning on towing something a few 100 miles then it's a different situation.

-mike
  • Options
    I think I've heard of that before. It just didn't click with me when you said that. Some motorcyclists use it on their farings. What kinds of places sell/install it? Will it "yellow" in a few years? I'm getting a white WRX. Can it be removed and replaced without damage to the paint? Thanks again!
  • Options
    by bedabi a ways back on this forum--it's #4057.There's a picture of his silver WRX with the kit applied and a link to the Stongard web site.
    A good window tint shop can put it on for you--yes, it might yellow a bit after a number of years but will stay nice for quite a while--as far as I know, you can't really take it off without damage to your paint and warping the pieces.
    --RA
  • Options
    I'm picking up my WRX wagon automatic next week and was wondering about the speedo accuracy. My Legend is off by 8%. AAA can't test AWD vehicles. Any feedback here would be appreciated!!
  • Options
    Hmmm how is that? You must have the wrong size tires or something on it.

Generally I use the milemarkers and a stopwatch doing 60mph or compare it to a friend's vehicle or now that I have GPS I compare it to that. All the cars I own are dead on balls accurite.

-mike
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Have someone follow you, and use two cell phones, or two FRS radios.

FWIW, I use my hitch for the bike rack more often than I tow.

-juice
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I believe the acceptable speedo error percentage is upto about 10%. Automakers would not consider it a warranty issue, if it is within these limits.

Later...AH
  • Options
    Hmm then they can pay for my ticket when I'm caught speeding. That seems awfully high. But none of my cars given proper tire size have ever been off by more than 1mph @ 80-90mph.

-mike
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Mine is always spot-on with those traffic radar set ups.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I was just looking for other info at http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
    They also say that 10% is the UK law.

-Dennis
  • Options
    bouncingbobbouncingbob Member Posts: 19
    I prefer to change the oil myself in my 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon. I am approaching the 3,000 mile mark.

The dealer insists that I should use regular oil only. I would prefer to use synthetic oil (Mobil 1) instead, but I do not want to go against what the dealer is stating.

Should I stick with the dealer's recommendation, and use regular oil, and change every 3,000 miles? Or alternatively, should I use synthetic oil, and use the same 3,000 mile interval, or possibly extend to 5,000 miles?

The manual recommends 5W/30 oil, but does list 10W/30 in hotter weather. I live around New York City, where the coldest days in winter are around 5-10F, and the hottest days in summer are around 95F. Should I use a different grade of oil in winter vs. summer, or just use 10W/30 all year round? Or should I use synthetic 5W/30 all year, and take advantage of the more durable synthetic oil, and lower viscosity for better cold weather protection?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!
  • Options
    Yippie you have to come hang with us sometime.

-mike
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Use the one which you can afford.
    I think that dealer hopes that each 3000 miles you will visit his/her shop. Ask wheather the place where you change the oil makes any difference.

Krzys

PS I would use Mobil 1 at 3000 miles. If manual says 5W/30 use it. I have been using Mobil 1 for 6 years in my Neon at it still works (5W/30 too).
    I think 5W/30 is quite safe for year round but if you want to you can try to use 0W/30 for winter and 10W/30 in summer.
    I am using "easy" schedule for my oil changes and it is 5000 miles but sometimes I stretch it to 7500. In Europe car manufacturers are recomending 12500 intervals but they have cleaner gasoline (I think).
  • Options
    the myth dies hard about Mobil 1, and a lot of dealers still tell their customers not to put it in until you've clocked 6-10,000 mi. on the engine.
    Use it if you can afford it and want to keep the car a long time. (It's actually cheaper than regular oil in the long run, because fewer engine overhauls.)
    Subaru's official line is it's OK to use after the first 1000 miles.
    Mobil 1 now uses a special ester in the formula which helps the rings seal like regular dino oil, so my feeling is you can use it from day 1 (but best to stick to what Subaru advises to avoid warranty problems).
    Your climate sounds a lot like Denver and 5W/30 year round works fine out here.
    Best to change every 3000 if you do a lot of stop and go city driving--if you do a lot of hwy miles, you could go 6000 without any problem. Mobil changed it every 7500 mi. in the BMW test and the engine was still like new after a million miles. The nice thing about synthetic--if you forget and go a little too long between changes, it's not going to hurt that much.
    --RA
  • Options
    My dealer said they have a lot of customers that bring in their own synthetic engine oil. Personally, I change my own. It's a piece of cake. When changing the differential oil, I couldn't get the rear diff plug off. My dealer put the synthetic in the rear for me.
    When I was talking to a shop foreman about synthetics, he had seen the inside of an engine that used Mobil1 and it was "spotless".
    Like everything, different dealers have different opinions.

RA - Where did you read about Subaru's official line on synthetic.

-Dennis
  • Options
    but rather the info they gave when I called the SOA hotline. The people on the Mobil 800 line said I could put it in right away--so I compromised and put it in at 640 mi. It's at 4300 mi. now and runs great--not really using any oil, so the rings sealed OK.
    It's good to hear about other Subie owners using it--it's great stuff for any car--not just for rich guys with Jaguars and Porsches!
    --RA
  • Options
    hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I will be putting in Synthetic, once my WRX hits 10,000 miles. I did the same with my Acura, and it has been running fabulously till now.

Later...AH
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    The owner's manual states that the WRX can tow 2000lbs with a tongue weight of 200lbs. The impression I get is that towing something small, like a motorcycle, snowmobile, jet ski, or small sailboat is no big deal. You can also mount a trailer hitch bicycle rack, and still get into the trunk. Towing your 40 foot Scarrab is probably not a good idea.

I think Subaru may be going after the mini-SUV crowd especially via wagon owners by including this towing rating. Why give up your performance car for an SUV just to tow a couple 300lb jet skis 4 miles to the local pond.

Maybe it's a little hard on the clutch, but most people won't tow with this car more than 5-6 times a year. One good launch from a stoplight probably puts as much wear on the clutch as a weekend of light towing.
  • Options
    OK, I give up--I'm getting the whole package--mud flaps, trailer hitch w/2 jet-skis, hood (and Klingon torpedo) deflector, and satellite antenna for the roof. Anyone know where I can get a Romulan cloaking device for the WRX?
    Never know when you're going to have to outrun a Klingon battle-cruiser! :)

AH--if you decide to put it in your WRX now, I promise you it won't hurt a thing.
    When Mobil first came out with synthetic back in the '70's the formula was a little raw and engines were not manufactured to the precise tolerances they are today--so you needed to wait for the engine to break in 10,000 mi.
    Today is different--the formula is perfected and the engines are better, tho I can't vouch for every synthetic out there--Mobil has the most experience and definitely a trustworthy product,IMO.
    --RA
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What, no missile launchers? ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    guess they'll have to get mounted on the hood--maybe we can get a discount deal on some surplus Sidewinders? :))
    --RA
  • Options
    rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Member Posts: 140
    little more expensive than MobilOne, but its a premium synthetic.
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    RA - I found one on Ebay. It doesn't specify that it is for the WRX but with an adaptor and a torque wrench .. I bet it can be made to work. Here is the link ...

www.ebay.romulan.cloak

- Hutch :)
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I will be buying one off the lot in Dallas in the next few days. What price over invoice have people been paying? There seems to be quite a few in stock at our three dealers in the area.

Thanks
    Mike
  • Options
    I'm puttin' in the bid right now! With that baby installed and maybe a Vishnu performance upgrade those war-cruisers won't stand a chance . . .! :)
    --RA
  • Options
    esqknightesqknight Member Posts: 78
    Until my WRX arrives with the January allocation and I can't wait. Hopefully, I won't be picking up my car in the snow (might be fun though). Since I don't have a garage or car port, I am considering the car cover sold by subaru parts. Has anyone bought the cover? If so, was it worth it?

Still waiting (damn it!)

Eric
  • Options
    Someone commented (maybe here) that the bad thing about them is that if you have any dirt/sand on the car, it will scratch the car when you put it on.

-Dennis
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Eric - Mine has been under-cover since the day I got it back in April. I didn't buy the cover Subaru sells, mine came from CarCovers4U.com. There are a variety of materials used to make covers and some can be abrasive. I've never had that problem .. maybe the one sold by Subaru isn't a good one. The price appears pretty cheap compared to what I paid so maybe you're getting what you pay for.

- Hutch
This discussion has been closed.