Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1955/56 Chrysler New Yorker vs, C-300

parmparm Member Posts: 724
edited August 2014 in Chrysler
Okay, I'm not a Mopar guru, so this may be a painfully stupid question. In 1955/56, Chrysler's New Yorker Coupe and C-300 look pretty similar and both have the Hemi motor - are they tweaked differently? And, perhaps the C-300 has stiffer springs for better handling. But other than that, they look to be pretty similar. But, I'm guessing their market values are drastically different.

What am I missing?

Comments

• parmparm Member Posts: 724
    Here are two 1955 New Yorker (St. Regis) coupes for reference. Both are listed for sale with the same dealer.

Red & White one asking price = $34,000 - though I think I've seen this same car listed for $29,000 thru another dealer?

Corak & White one asking price = $41,000.

Are these asking prices in the ballpark?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    They New Yorker and C300 both used a 331.1 Hemi V-8 in 1955. However, in the New Yorker it only put out 250 hp...an impressive number in and of itself for the time...but the C300 put out an even 300. Of course, that was gross hp...in today's net terms, that 300 was probably more like 225-230, while the 250 was probably more like 175-180.

For 1956, the Hemi was enlarged to 354 CID. In the New Yorker, witha 4-bbl carb, it put out 280 hp. In the 300, which that year was called the 300B, it put out 340 hp standard, or 355 in optional tune. Chevy likes to whine about having the first engine to get 1 hp per cubic inch...the fuel-injected 283 from 1957. And technically they're right, since Chrysler actually got slightly MORE than 1 hp per cubic inch in 1956!

The 1955-56 Chrysler 300's used an Imperial grille to make them look different from a New Yorker or Windsor. And I'm sure the 300's had a beefed up suspension. I believe they had nicer interiors, as well. In 1956, the 300B also offered a wide variety of axle ratios. I forget what the tallest was, but the shortest was a 6.17:1. Probably not much top speed with something that short, but getting there was probably a wild ride!
    edited November 2010
    I figured there had to be some pretty significant differences with the engine output because I thought they had the exact same engine displacement. I've not looked very closely at the interior materials between the two, but they both appear to have the same (over very similar) dash - which is also the same one used in the corresponding Desoto coupe I believe.

Compared to a 1955/56 Cadillac Coupe Deville, the New Yorker coupe looks pretty nice and the Imperial would be even more so. Anybody know the difference between the New Yorker St. Regis and the other New Yorker? (was it the Hampton?)

Can't believe New Yorker coupes are that much. Geeez, how much is a "real deal" C-300 for God Sakes?!

BTW, the link to that 2nd New Yorker is supposed to say "Coral". :P
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    These Chrysler hardtops that you fancy had about 1/2 the production rate of comparable Cadillacs, and probably have a much lower survival rate--so that tends to boost prices in the supply and demand equation.
    In 1956, the cheaper New Yorker hardtop coupe was called the Newport, and the nicer one was the St. Regis. Newport cost $3951 and they built 4,115, while the St. Regis was $3995 and they built 6,686. Probably not much difference between the two; even though that was a lot more money in those days, $44 might have been the equivalent of $340 or so today. probably some extra trim on the outside, and nicer interior trim.

In the Windsor lineup, they had two hardtop coupes...the cheaper Nassau and the nicer Newport.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I always felt that Virgil Exner's 55/56 models were very attractive, particularly the Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge lines, but for whatever reason were overshadowed by both GM and Ford. Talking about 300's, the 57 is still drop dead gorgeous.
    So, the $34K and $41K asking prices for those '55 New Yorker coupes are market correct?
    I always felt that Virgil Exner's 55/56 models were very attractive, particularly the Chrysler, DeSoto and Dodge lines, but for whatever reason were overshadowed by both GM and Ford.

Mopar was still outsold by GM and Ford in those years, but that Exner styling was good enough that it helped Mopar gain market share in 1955, 1956, and by 1957 they had something like 22% of the market. They forecast boosting that to 25% for 1958, but once the recession hit, and word got out about the bad quality, the final tally wa something like 15%. And I think it slipped to 13% for 1959.

Mopar was usually stronger than Ford in the middle-priced market. Mercury tended to be priced in range of the more expensive Dodges and the cheaper DeSotos, but Dodge/DeSoto/Chrysler combined would outsell Mercury by a wide margin. In the low priced market though, Ford would blow Plymouth away. And in the luxury market, Lincoln would usually outsell Imperial by a pretty wide margin, although I think 1957 was the one year that Imperial beat Lincoln.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    More towards the $34K mark, yes.
This discussion has been closed.