Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    nmifr300mnmifr300m Member Posts: 28
    I believe that a H pipe will aid in the performance. The Magnaflow with two inputs and two outputs should do this and the total crosssectional area is always the same as two 2.5 inch pipes. This will all fit in the channel nicely. Having the cut outs and the quick change pipes let me have the best of both worlds. A configuration with dual out the back for normal crusing, and for the wife, and the side exhaust if I want to tear up some roads.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    and open up header possibilitys.
  • Options
    They should have called it the stealth instead. It is really hard to find information on this car.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    What snow? It takes more than 82" of snow in 5 days to stop a native Buffalonian!
    Out come the skiis, and the 300M with 4 winter tires does just fine, thank you.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I was reading that parts of the city got over 6 feet of snow! I don't care what kind of snow tires you have on when it's like that! I remember years and years ago getting a couple of feet in philly and seeing long lines of cars behind snow plows...thinking eventually the plow would take them where they wanted to go (or where they could get some rum and eggnog) :) Be safe up there! I guess Big Red would be good in that kind of snow...only because she'd be easier to see!
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    The HID's don't have washers on them. Each headlight does have something that looks like a chrome gun barrel with with cap on it. I can't really tell what the purpose is.

There's no choice on the tires, the Pilot Sports are it. Actually the car only has three factory options besides color and interior to pick from: sunroof, side airbags, and cold weather package.
  • Options
    sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    When I last left off it was Christmas Eve and I developed a shaking problem on my way back from Michigan the day before.

I took my M to a Goodyear dealer for inspection. They found the following...a nail in the right front tire tire, a tack in the left rear tire, and the grand finale...a herniaiated right front tire requiring warranty replacement. Talk about them being in the Christmas spirit! The pro-rated warranty replacement with 8000 miles on it came to $10 according to their new math and even better the also replace the other front tire for $10. I got everything balanced now and it's looking good.

Remember that problem I had holding pressure awhile back? If not I put a very small amount of fix-a-flat in it and was prompted chastised for it on here. Well, they unmounted that tire and cleaned out the [non-permissible content removed] inside for free. WHAT SERVICE!!

I still have an alignment issue though. Do you guys trust the 5* to do that? I called them and they said it takes 3 hours for an alignment ([non-permissible content removed]) and I would have to leave the car there all day. There is a specialty shop that specializes in alignments here that did my Borla, I might just take it there. Suggestions?
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I posted this message above pertaining to the broken seat in our M. ANy ideas> I'm trying to get an idea of what it might be so I can tell them what or how to fix at the 5* on Monday. Here's the post:

Okay, so you all know about the bad accident we were in involving our 00' 300M but I have a question for you now.

On Christmas Eve, my mother got in the passenger's seat after church and was adjusting it so she was comfortable. The seatback functions worked properly, but the seat bottom would not rise or lower as it usually does. Then, yesterday afternoon she came from work to pick me up for an appointment and when I got in, it did something weird again. I sat down as normal but when I moved slightly back as to grab the seatbelt, POP, and I fell backwards. It sounded as if the seat had been unbolted at the front at some time, and when I went back a little, it disconnected from the floor and the back supports were like hinges.

Now, it was still connected to the floor but this is what it felt and sounded like. Going down the road, the seatback controls worked as before, but when I pressed the seat bottom button in any direction, it made some really bad grinding and banging noises; at first it did move a little but then would go nowhere.

Then, last night we went grocery shopping. Mom drove and my dad rode in the front passenger seat. Before we left, he sat in the seat and tried to figure out what went bizerk. He leaned back slightly and it did the same thing as it had done with me before. To get it back down to its original position, you have you shake your body weight forward and it grinds back down. Up or down it makes kind of a cranking noise. One time, we had to get moving quick from an intersection, and when she pucnhed the gas, my dad fell back with the seat. The controls then worked intermittantly again; at first, the seat bottom went forward fine but no other direction, then it wouldn't move, and then it would work in some other direction. Sometimes when you pressed the button, you would hear normal motor sounds that move the seat, sometimes they sounded like they were breaking apart, and other times they were just dead.

Still today, it "cranks" back and then down again with your body weight. Also, to note, we're all kind of slender so it wouldn't be our weight that caused this. In addition, this is not a "seat" problem. It's something where the seat attatches to the floor. Any ideas?

Who should fix this? To our best knowledge, the seat was NOT like this before the wreck but it did work fine for at least a week after we got the car back. So, should we just take it for it's 8th or 9th trip to the Chrysler dealer and have them do it? I can already imagine what we'll happen. We'll be driving the car over there and as soon as we pull in, it will magically fix itself and all we'll get is a "could not duplicate" on the bill.
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    The light housing that is used on the Special is the same as the one from the European cars. That part you say looks like a gun barrel is a small housing for a light bulb. Some kind of European light standard.So I guess to make things simple and not have to redesign the housing they just put the reflective coating over the whole thing . take care ;-)
  • Options
    It could have been damaged in the crash. I would check into have the mechinism replaced if possible.
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    ottowrkr-

Many people who own/drive Corvettes or Vipers around here, don't usually drive them in the winter. They aren't particularly known for their winter handling. The people who buy these cars usually have something else to drive for the winter. I don't think this holds true for the most part with the 300M.

As for the Camaros/Firebirds/Mustangs, I would guess that they're not known for their snow handling capabilities either. I was really amazed when I read in LS1.com about the number of people who changed their wheels and tires for the winter. I believe they do it for two reasons- one, to protect their fancy wheels from road salt and two, to put on winter tires. However, I consider this group of people in a different category than the average 300M owner.

It just strikes me as strange, that a car in the 300M Special category would require people to change their tires with the seasons. Now, if you lived in a place like Buffalo, NY, then I guess everyone changes their tires or stays home! I can't even imagine. How do you ever get used to weather like that?

fastdriver
  • Options
    I have an Alpine 510 digital sound processor. The question is do the wires from the output of the 510 get connected to the the AMP on the input side or the Amplified side. Thanks.
  • Options
    spookrt1spookrt1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 R/T with pilot tires in Minn i have no problems with them. If it is really bad i just but the auto stick in 2nd or 3rd gear and start out that way. It even states that in my owners book. I have duals on my R/T with 1 big Dyno Max muffler. My other mods are 70mm tbi and Cone KN and the baffles taken out ot the air box and Anti foaming for the Tranny. It dynos at 171.9 hp. And my best 1/4 was 15.131 at 94 mph in cold weather this fall. 38 deg`s at Rock Falls Drag way in Wi. The best in hot weather is 15.606 at 90 mph.
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    should be the input side, if it is anything like home theater, you want the amp to receive the processed sound before it is amplified.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    So, back in '99 the agreement with my wife (and even then I knew she was lying :-( )was that once my M was paid off (7/02) she would take it to replace her '95 Saab and I could then get another new car.
    We're currently preparing to buy her (what else?) a Lexus RX300. "It wasn't a lie. I just changed my mind." Women.
    Anyone here have any experience buying an RX300 in the Boston area? Pricing?
    Women.
    Hey, at least I get to keep my M for another few years! 4000 miles of warranty left, but I'm not worried?!
    Women.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    That is my thinking, but the only iputs are for the two front and two rear speakers. The center is amplified and the sub, I do not have at this time. It sounds like experimention time at the old corral tonight.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Do they have an auto-leveling feature? Can they replace the regular 300M headlights without any modifications?
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    No they do not have auto-leveling. Yes they are will fit in any year 300M, with no modifications.The Special has no parts on it that required any mods to the current car, all parts are just bolt on replacments.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Anyone know how much a set would cost?
  • Options
    dude in a new silver TL-typeS, pulled up beside me and honked the horn, he said my m was tyte and wanted to know where i got my windows tinted. i told him where to get it done, and asked him how he liked his honda :~)
  • Options
    uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Just finished installing a Joshua Tree dash Kit on "Beast" (Inferno red 2001 M). Wow does it look good. Sorry to here about that 6 ft. of snow in Buffalo. I live on the north shore of lake Ontario about 40 miles as the crow flies from Buffalo. All we've had is 1/2" of snow in the last week. Can't say I envy them though.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    that's what my wife did - when my 98 Grand Prix GTP lease ended she got herself an RX300 instead of another GTP for me :)

RX300 is nice but does not have that much room in the trunk. I could easily pack 3 times more stuff into my 300M's trunk than the RX300's

It has a good acceleration for a truck and can go fast on highway, but nothing like 300M.

Also the suspension is pretty soft and sometimes it is hard to tell what the tires are doing.

The trip computer has some limited functions, fewer functions than 300M.

Also the memory seat is just that - seat only. The mirrors do not remember positions.

Neat "feature" - if you hold down the unlock button on the remote, all windows and sunroof open. But I have not found this feature practical, even in Florida.
  • Options
    Take pictures. I've often wondered what the trim kit would look like on my M, and since you have a clone (I think) I'd like to see it.

Steve - Got the package in the mail today. Nice pen! Thanks. :)
  • Options
    Mike,

Here's the link to the Joshua Tree kit for the 300M luxury package:

http://www.woodtrim.com/catalog_detail.cfm?prod=3860

Those pix are of my car, the woodtrim.com overlay was a dumb idea by Joshua. I have more pix on my Photopoint page, but I don't know why Photopoint won't load.
  • Options
    OK, so we have a bit of snow in Buffalo...but wait...guess where the Olympic torch is spending New Years Eve?
    Thats right, boys and girls, right here in Buffalo at out "First Nite" celebration.
    The torch got special permission to stay out late (it is usually "put to bed" about dinnertime).
    So watch for it on TV, and you will see Buffalo is still open. Heck, I even went to the mall twice today for some after Christmas bargains!
  • Options
    Well the roads finally dried off enough around here to take the new toy out and give it a good drive.

Drive = Love is true.

The car is great on the road. Arby, now I understand! It rides great on all but the worst road surfaces. Even at the worst the ride is never harsh or jarring, just very firm. Big news flash, somebody at DC has been working on the NVH. This car is wonderfully quiet at speed on the road. I don't have to turn up the stereo any more. The only sound that stands out is a faint wind rush at speed and even that isn't annoying. I can even hear a distant rumble from the exhaust running at 75 on the freeway.

Chrysler really dialed this car in well.

I've mentioned it before, but I'll mention it again. Michelin has a number of different tires in it's Pilot line. They range from pure performance tires, Sports on the Special, to ice and snow tires, Pilot Alpin and several steps in between. Sooooo, while the Sports aren't very good on snow and ice (actually they aren't as bad on dry, cold snow as they are on slush and ice) several of the other models in the line are well suited to snow and ice use.

I don't find it unusual to spend the bucks to buy winter wheels and tires. I've done it in the past with other cars (87 BMW 325i for one). If for no other reason than the chemicals used on the roads around here eat the daylights out of aluminium or alloy wheels. I'd rather sacrifice a set of painted steel wheels that I can always easily strip and repaint. And it gives me the chance to bring the other set inside for a good cleaning over the winter. Just one less thing to do come spring.
  • Options
    I heard a rumor that a Special was gonna be in the next Bond flick, packing headlight mounted machine guns! The HID lamps will double as electronic gunsights. LOL! ;)
  • Options
    laurasdada-

Funny that you posted today because I was thinking of you this afternoon. Had to go to my cousin's wedding at the Norwich Inn and Spa which is in viewing distance of Mohegan Sun! It was hard to get off at Exit 1 instead of Exit 2! ;-))) Saw the new hotel from a distance.

So, your wife changed her mind. Well, you can always go to MS and try to win a new car like my friend's did! :-))))

guesswho1-

Did you race him with your Intrepid? ;-))

fastdriver
  • Options
    As much as I'd like to believe it, I have a hard time digesting the thought that our dear sweet Ms could beat a 260 HP (300+ lb/ft torque) V8 in a car as light as the Mustang. My guess is that the mustang is at least a full second faster 0-60.
  • Options
    achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    Truly strange discussion on snow and winter tires. Winter tires and wheels are simply a fact of life for many of us; you own them just like you own hats, coats, and gloves. I drove my '99 for two seasons on the Goodyears in Juneau, AK - avg. 100+" of snow/season, but this year sprung for a set of Blizzaks. They ride awful, but go, and especially stop, pretty well on ice. Snow isn't a problem on any tire that still has some tread - if you know how to drive, anyway. Not everyone who likes performance cars lives where the road is always dry and the weather warm.
  • Options
    Snow: amen to your comments on winter tires! One must experience the difference a proper set of winter tires can make. I like the Michelin Arctic Alpin or Goodyear Arctic Ice tires for the 300M.
    Civil War: Wow! What a location for a Civil War buff! I do believe that war missed Ak!
    I have toured many of the battlefields, and have the entire Ken Burns series on videotape. It is a facinating chapter in American History.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    I was at Mohegan on Friday. I am on a real streak (losing, that is), I haven't made a withdrawal since JUNE!!! I won a few $$$ but, of course, gave it all back and more. Man, I have got to learn to WALK!!! A guy at my table had just won $2k playing video poker. I still love that place, though. I feel good knowing I helped fuel the expansion, creating more jobs... Yeah, right. I want to win!!!

Hope all is well with you, yours and the CLS. Say hello to Fairfield County for me the next time your in that 'hood.

Happy New Year, everyone!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    laurasdada-

Thank you for contributing to our state surplus! ;-)) Keep playing those slots. Gov. Rowland thanks you too! What car was on display this time? I still haven't been there since the new part opened. I hear it's beautiful. The hotel will be opening soon.

CL-S fine- 11,500+ miles now. Going for the 3rd oil change tomorrow morning. Love this car.

Hope you have a happy, healthy and peaceful new year. That goes for everyone in the 300 group.

fastdriver
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Happy New Year to fellow M'ers.

Laurasdada and fastdriver: which do you like better--MS or FW. I havent been to MS since they opened. Is it much bigger and better now? I usually go to FW as I like all the stores and restaurants and overlall atmosphere. And its closer to Boston too.

SDmike: glad you liked the pen--it takes papermate rollerball refills--thanks again for the bracket--

Sleepy: did it stop snowing yet--how many shovel did people send you for xmas--

Avalanche: how bout some pictures of your latest mods--including the dash dvd screen---

M goes in Friday for new speakers, steering wheel and window regulator--I'll post results
  • Options
    jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Anyone know exactly what changes were made for 2002 to improve NVH?
    Otto?
  • Options
    not necessary? under maintenance schedule A, which most of us are under, it states no change necessary. under maintenance schedule B, every 48,000 miles. why are so many here changing the fluid at 15,000 and 30,000? is it out of habit or paranoia?
  • Options
    hotrodtoddhotrodtodd Member Posts: 1
    Whaaats the deal? My best buds 2001 M is totally quiet inside compared to my 99 M,What makes it so different? We both have same tires.
  • Options
    on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    i seen a jet module on ebay today.does anyone know anything about this thing?

Item # 599675470 Jet performance module for a 98 up Chrysler concorde, 300M, LHS.Module Will give you Instant Horsepower,Improved Fuel Economy. power control unit jet part number 68005, Installation instructions, box, and paid invoice for use with the jet lafetime warranty. This unit is less then a year old it has been used and is in great shape and ready to be used again.

is it worth looking into?,i got outbid,but i didnt even know if it really worked.no loss.
    i couldn`t find anything about it in jet`s website.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    For some reason, I think that the jet module you are talking about once belonged to fuzzy. And if I remember correctly (I'm almost certain), he said that it made little or no improvements as far as power, economy, etc. It supposedly was worthless on his 2000 PHP M that he sold not too long ago.
  • Options
    spray foam they started using in the 00's
  • Options
    easyrider300m-

Personal preference I guess, but I prefer MS. The other one is too big. At MS you can't get lost because you just go in circles. That might be different now with the new addition. I haven't been there since that part opened.

Have a great new year.

fastdriver
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I have a 2000 and also notice fairly high road noise--I have the Goodyear tires and that may be part of the problem--I plan on upgrading to either Yokohamas or Dunlop A60 Sport tires when the goodyears wear out--the noise is especially high on roads with somewhat rough surfaces--I also notice some wind noise. The noise level is the only major negative I find with the M. Otherwise, I love the car and may even consider buying another one when trade time comes. Unless I buy a Caddie STS.
  • Options
    achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    Well, Russ, the last battle of the so-called Civil War was fought in the Bering Sea off Western Alaska when the CSS Shenandoah wiped out the Yankee whaling fleet there in June - July of '65. She only learned that the war was over when she encountered a Brit mail packet - threw her guns overboard, boarded up the ports and sailed all the way around the Horn to strike her colors in Liverpool. I'm a refugee from the occupied Confederate State of Georgia; been here 30 years now. Since you're from NY, if your family was in the country at the time, my great-greats probably took a shot or two at yours at various scenic spots in Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. But on 300Ms, we can agree.
  • Options
    I too have a 99 and it was noisy. I used blanket sound deadening, expansion foam and spray undercoat to get rid of the problems. Changing the Goodyears will help alot too. Mine is very quiet now except for the roughest roads. The later 00's and beyond models have insolated wheel wells and foam in some of the under carrage body cavitys.
  • Options
    I saw that too, and bid on it just for the electronics. According to all the people I have heard that used it, it is a waste of money. It is just as well you did not win it (in a since you did win, by not getting it).
  • Options
    Are you still out there? Or did some UFO society seize you 300M thinking it was a Extra terrestrial vehicle? :)
  • Options
    In three weeks so I am going to have them fix (at least get it on record) about the tranny bump, seat movement, and some other small issues, next week. I just hope I get one of the 5* guys and not a 1* to check it over. I can't believe it has been 3 years already. It seems like yesterday when I purchased it.
  • Options
    How are the plans for the Las Vegas meet comming? Inquireing minds want to know.
    PS any new job prospects for you (for you can keep your M)? Besides you have to afford the Zanio to keep big red looking good.
  • Options
    Drive safely and watch out for those other drivers out to get you M's. Wishing everyone the Best for the New Year.
  • Options
    pevapeva Member Posts: 42
    Is there a way to buy certain parts at a significant discount - perhaps blemished or over-runs/obsoletes through your Chrysler connections? I'm not asking you to do anything unethical/illegal (I know you wouldn't anyway), but I would like to obtain a set of 16" alloy wheels and an LHS gage package to retrofit to my '99 Concorde and am trying to come up with creative ways to do it without breaking the bank (i.e., I know prices for new thru a dealer at list would be astronomical)? Any other creative ideas for obtaining one or both of these items?

Thanks in advance.