Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    Why not plan to keep your M longer, if it remains reliable?
    My 2000 M now has 75K miles and I just bought out my lease early because I plan to keep the car indefinitely and I was WAY over my mileage limit.
    The car is still great, few problems since I leased it (it had 11K miles on it then). There is simply not another car available ( I can afford!) that I would trade for. The M is still the best looking car in it's class.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • Options
    beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    Got to agree with Lynn, if it remains reliable and you still like it, why get rid of a good thing? I tend to get really attached to cars that I buy and use 'em till they're used up. I hope to be driving the M at least 10 years, maybe more. Heck, I drove my '78 Dodge Magnum for 12 years. Now THAT car was used up when I traded it!
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I agree with keeping your car if you like it and it is reasonably reliable. Keep in mind that virtually all cars start to have problems after 100,000 miles...

I intend to keep my M for several years -- heck, I've got 7 years warranty on the powertrain! My wife may opt for something else to replace her M over the next few years, but right now there is nothing out there that catches her fancy (least of all the 300C...)
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Actually, I'm usually ready for a new car about 6 months after buying one! So many cars, so little time...

Then, of course, there is reality and practicality (don't you just hate reality and practiality?). I'm sure I'll have my M at least another 6 months, probably longer. Some concerns regarding my job is the biggest reality. Also, the M has been paid off for almost 18 months, that is nice.

As I've stated, the M is a wonderful car, my only negative is the build quality. Some major panel gaps, but no leaking or rattling so mostly a cosmetic thing. I just really want a new car, certainly no knock against my M. Usually I lament the passing of my old car for at least a week after letting her go...but then I realize I have a new love! We'll see. I'll keep posting these occasional stream of consciousness ramblings...

Anyone know of Dr. Pixel's situation? Healthy? Employed? I truly hope so, as I do for all the good folks here.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    I hooked up with him on the 300 club chat 3 or 4 weeks ago and as of then he was still looking for work. Haven't heard anything since. Hope he finds something soon if he hasn't already.
  • Options
    jboehmjboehm Member Posts: 44
    Looking at either the 300M or Intrepid ES. Would you purchase another 300M? Why or why not?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'd buy another 300M, especially with the deals out there to be had. I would, that is, except that I have no desire to own the same model twice! Variety is the spice...

But I can recommend to anyone interested in an all around excellent sedan to put the 300M on their list. Style, power, decent economy, versatility, reliability and did I mention style?

My baby is filthy after last week's 28" snow dump. Another storm is on its way tomorrow, so no bath for the Platinum bullet yet...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    After racking up 117,000 miles on my '99 300M, I was able to talk my employer into providing me a company car. I was allowed to pick out an '04 Intrepid in the configuration of my choosing. So, I got an ES, Graphite over dark gray leather, big stereo, ABS, chrome wheels. The sticker was over $28K and I took delivery in Oct. when the rebate was $3K.

First thing is that its getting hard to find ES's with certain option combinations, so don't wait too long if you go that way. Second, I agree with Laurasdada comment about the joy of driving a new car. I loved driving the M for 5 years but it sure is great to smell that new leather and feel that new suspension soak up the bumps and curves.

As far as which to buy, it depends on your priorities. My first impressions with 2600 on the clock with the ES is how very similar it is to driving the M. The main differences are 18hp, 100 lbs. and heated seats. The interiors are remarkably similar. Although the driver's seats are different, they are both very comfortable. IMHO, they are both very attractive vehicles. So, you really can't go wrong with this choice. You'll probably pay about $3K more for an M so it probably comes down to how important the extra cost is to you. If it's not that important, get the M, if it is, you'll be very happy with the ES.

Remember, they're both made on the same LH chassis at the same factory. Its a very good platform. Get 'em before their gone.
  • Options
    My M has begun having an intermittent starting problem. On occasion, when you turn the key, the dash will light up as normal but nothing happens under the hood. No noise, nothing. 3 or 4 tries later, it fires right up as normal. Seems to happen more frequently after it sits out in the cold. I went ahead and put a new battery in it since I was still running the OEM one. Still having the problem. I want to drive it to FL after Christmas and would like to know this problem is solved. Anyone had a similar problem?

Also, first snow here in Indy. I'll get to try the new Michelin HydroEdges in the snow for the first time.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    I'd start by having the battery terminals cleaned and checked.
    If the connections are not good, it can cause the symptoms you mentioned.
    The other thought is that the starter relay is going bad. It is located in the power distribution center in the engine compartment.
    The relay is about $14 OEM part number 4671168
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. After driving both vehicles my first choice would be the 300M. The seats were a little more body hugging than the Intrepiud ES. However, the $3k price difference also makes a difference. (But I do like the additional toys.. oops.. I mean features that the 300M has) I hope to get into something in the next week or so.
  • Options
    I have had both cars (Intrepid ES first- 1998). I was very happy with the Intrepid ES, the main reason I didn't get another one after my lease was up was that DC started making cheaper Intrepids with less content (even suspensions were downgraded). With the cheaper prices on the cheaper models, the Intrepid became a fleet car.

The 300M had superior handling, good standard features in the base, a bit more power and didn't really cost much more than a loaded Intrepid ES.

Bottom line, I felt that the 300M was in its own class; the Intrepid, unfortunately was in a lower class because of the cheaper fleet cars. I felt better driving the M and it felt like a superior car.
  • Options
    Since I am leaning (severely) toward the 300M and I have been doing some inventory searches I now have some questions:

1. I have never had leather before and I have a 3 year old and one on the way. Now that it is winter in the frozen tundra of Nebraska and snow is on the ground I get to watch my son make foot prints on the seats as he is climbing into his car seat. Is leather up to the task or do I need to put a cover of some type on the seat? (I will put a cover under the car seats regardless)

2. Performance Handling Group. Is the suspension going to be stiffer to get the "performance" that it is talking about? Are the tires going to be any more susceptible to spin in the snow?

Thanks to all!!
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    PHG is stiffer but the ride is still pleasant. Only a really old Cadillac DeVille owner with hemorrhoids would complain about 300M PHG being too harsh.
  • Options
    bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Intrepid, thx for the input on the paint. I haven't been on the board for a week or more, so that's why I didn't acknowledge sooner. BTW, I can't imagine what a $99 paint special would look like, oh actually a friend got one in high school; you don't want to know...

Indy, I think one possibility of your problem would be the starter. Ambient temperature caauses expansion and contraction of metals and contacts, and could affect it I believe. Starters sometimes work intermittently when they start to go... I used to know more about how these worked about 15 years ago but I've forgotten it. But I think part of the logic in diagnosing it is that if you hear no clicking sound when you turn the key, it's more likely electric, whereas if you hear a clicking then it's the starter, but I don't remember for sure. There's also the solenoid involved which has some kind of engagement it performs. You might discuss it with a mechanic, or if you don't want to check it out yourself just leave it with him a few days. He could try to start it a few times throughout the day and diagnose it that way. Good luck.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    the posting action here has dropped way off, but I still read the posts here. Obviously the "other" board is where the action is. Good to see some of the "old timers" here. I have been posting since March of 2000 when we had about 50 posts per day and was the top message board on Edmunds.

Happy Holidays to all.
    EZ
  • Options
    ceikostceikost Member Posts: 30
    I have an early 2000 with PHP. (=PHG)

Leather: I can not help you with (my youngest is 38)

Tires: I live in the Chicago area and have had no problem with snow.

Ride: I have no complantes.

Handling: Take a corner or curve at speed, you will like it

The quicker steering and better brakes are worth it.

In short: I LOVE THIS CAR!
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Indy-- Sounds like a problem I had a year or so ago on my 99M. I replaced the battery first, no help. Next I went to the starter relay [$10] and the starter switch [$120?]. Changing those two did the trick. I would try the relay first. Cheap and easy to get to. I did em both at the same time since I had an extended warranty company involved and they paid it all. I didn't want to piecemeal the bill and have to come back more than once if it wasn't the relay. I can find the part numbers if you need em.
  • Options
    I have a 99M with 63K miles and 5.5 years on it. I still love this ride. Everytime I look at something else and then look at my M I try to visualize what makes the other car a better buy/ride. So far, I can't find any reason to move to something else. Instead, I just ad more mods to change the appearance or spruce it up. Hell, it was snowing yesterday, we got 3", and I was in the driveway cleaning my Razorstars so they would look sharp at 6a.m. as I went to work today. The wife thinks I am coo-coo about this car. That's what it will do to ya. And leather cleans up easier than cloth so don't worry about the kids. And new 03's are going for $24K in the L-ville area. I am sure there are also good deals on the 04's out there too.
  • Options
    I'm sure we don't have near the amount of snow in Indy that you have in Nebraska but good winter tires are essential. I run Michelin Arctic Alpins in the winter and they're great.

I also have to mention you'll love those bun warmers up there in the frozen tundra.

Get the M and you will agree with many of us here. I LOVE THIS CAR!
  • Options
    Easy-- Good to see your post. The low volume must be caused by the time of year. I check the Crossfire and RX-8 boards also and the X-fire board hasn't had a posting since 7 Dec., and the RX-8 board is also light. Will probably pick up again after the holidays.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Haven't seen this many old timers here in quite a while. Glad to see it is picking up.
    Phases glad to see you made it back safely, and good work finding Sadam.
    As for me still modding out the M (maybe I will call it the 300N, since Chrysler isn't using it) LOL. I will have to check back more often myself. The car is soon to be 5years old (in a few days. with no problems. I was looking over my maintance costs for the car for the last 5 years. The total was 23.64 (although I have just ran out of my 14 cent cans of Valvoline 10/30 motor oil.) So now the costs should go up. LOL.
    Have a Very Happy Holiday and be safe.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts, they both sound like the right track. It definitely has an electrical feel to it (no mechanical noise), so I'll try the relay and/or switch next. Mike-why don't you go ahead and give me the part numbers so I can keep my crack 5* on track.
  • Options
    alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Hey everyone, haven't posted here in a while. How is everyone doing? We'll, I have a few questions regarding my 2002 300M Pro-AM that I got on my 16th birthday. First off, does it have the PHG package on it? I know it has the sport package since its a stiff ride etc. but don't know weather its the PHG/PHP thing, whatever it is called. Also, as I drive to school, I have noticed a small possible tranny problem, just wanted to ask all of you Pro's. Went I am on a steep incline going up a hill, and I stop, for ex. stop sign or a red light, when i let go of the brake to press the gas, the car tends to roll back. I tried it at the same place with no cars in the back, and the car rolled back as if it was on neutral, However, some days it wont even move, but I always have the feeling that it does roll back somewhat, but I mean, if I don't brake, it will keep going!...Don't think its a tranny problem...no abuse to the car, only 7k miles, haven't even driven above 100 yet...Any ideas? thanks to all...Shoutouts to everyone, bigmike5 and 3000michael...you make me smile :) thanks for all the knowledge you have given me.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    You couldn't get the Performance Handling package, to the best of my knowledge, with the 2002 Pro-Am edition. As far as the ride with the base suspension being harsh...I never had that impression at all! It was actually a little too soft and floaty for me, and I much preferred the new '00 with PHP that we looked at before we bought the other one without.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    a bunch of automatic tranny cars roll back on an incline. Keep your foot on the brake.
  • Options
    ski1002ski1002 Member Posts: 5
    Haven't posted for awhile. Just celebrated my 2000m's 3rd birthday in Oct. The car have been great, no problems so far. Currently have 40k miles. Usually by this time, I would be looking for another vehicle but I haven't seem anything else that I would be happy with. Well, to all happy Holidays. Ski1001
  • Options
    Indy the part numbers for the 99M are: starter relay 4671168 [$10.00]; ignition switch 5014176AA [$36.70] Labor to install in KY--$80.00. Total $136.70.

Alcatrazt2--Have heard others say that they have experienced this rollback with their M. I have not experienced it with the 99M. Mine will actually creep forward on mild slopes, and just hold its position without me doing anything to the brake or gas on slightly steeper inclines. Maybe your idle is set a little low.
  • Options
    dean58dean58 Member Posts: 14
    I bought my first 300M in July of 1998 and drove it until Nov 2002 when I traded it for a new 02.
    I agree with some of you who said you wouldn't buy another of the same model just because you wanted a change, but after driving several other brands I decided I would rather drive another M than anything else. I know this was the right decision after driving the 02 for a year now. When this one gets 90,000 miles on it I will probably look for a very low mileage used one and start over again. I am 64 yrs old and have owned a lot of cars in my life but have not had one that I like to drive as much as the 300M. Not to mention how good it looks!!!
  • Options
    Right-on Dean. I agree with you 100%.
  • Options
    I agree with you, too! I am on my second (first was a leased 2000) and I purchased my 2003 when the lease expired. I looked around, but valuewise, for the performance and luxury offered, I couldn't beat the M. And I still feel it's the best looking sedan out there!

I don't know what I'll do when its time for another car, but I intend to keep my current car for a long time...

BTW, my wife owns a 2001 M and she hasn't found anything she would rather drive...
  • Options
    Hello: What are the options available in the PHP/PHG package? What does it add? What is the difference, if they differ? Thanks. P.S. Anyone know if the 300M Special exhuast is available for purchase for the 2002 300M non-special? If yes, where? I would really appreciate all replys. Thanks.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    The PHP package included stiffer struts, springs, firmer steering, better brakes, and the top speed limiter was removed. It's the ONLY way to get a proper 300M, in my opinion, and I wish we had gotten our 2000 that way 3 years ago.

About the exhaust, I think you could probably buy the parts from Chrysler, but a great number of owners here have had systems installed at their local shops that not only sometimes look better, but also perform better than what is on the Special from the factory. I'd go that route if I were you.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot for all of your help, I am learning a lot...I can't imagine of the PHP package and how stiff it would be because my 2002 300M is pretty stiff already for a luxury car, I can't imagine it getting stiffer, wow. I think the suspension on the regular 02 300M are great. About the exhaust, thanks. The thing that I have to do is to research around, because I have no clue where to go for professional instalation. but thanks. take care.
  • Options
    wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    The Special exhaust components are available from dealers but watch out for sticker shock, $1,000 or so.
    You will get a good sound of course, as opposed to the resonant drone inherent with many aftermarket exhaust mods. I myself have spent several hours under mine experimenting with different Camaro mufflers, resonators, etc, to lose the drone at 2000-2400 rpm.
    There's more info under the "dual exhaust" threads on the 300m enthusiast's forums.
  • Options
    Hey everyone...have a question about my 2002 300M once again. So I was going up a hill yesterday, not that steep, just a pretty well incline, and I stopped at a stop sign. So I put the car on Autostick 1 and accelerated off the stop, and what I noticed were the front wheels "chirping" that is while the car was moving? I didn't even push the gas that much and I heard the sound as if my wheels were over spinning etc...what is that about?
  • Options
    I noticed that Chrysler has extended the expiration date for the current incentives from 1/2/04 to 1/5/04......
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    v-

I see that MERCEDES suddenly has 2.9% financing too! Commercials on every two minutes last night. In addition, DC just sold another one of their companies for over a billion! looks like their is a mad rush on to show some profit before 12/31.

All-

Check out the December issue of Automobile magazine and tell me if you think that what you see on page 22 or pages 94-95- right after the yellow Mitsubishi ad- SHOULD have been what the next 300 COULD have looked like instead of that tank thing they think they're going to sell!

fastdriver
  • Options
    Have a great Holiday.
  • Options
    To all the kind folks who have made this such a great board!

To borrow somewhat from the great philosopher Elvis Costello, I hope that 2004 offers the world much more peace, love and understanding!

And the 300C/N an early re-style...!?

• Options
    kupper25kupper25 Member Posts: 30
    Hello everyone and Merry Christmas.

Haven't been here for a while so I spent some time catching up on the last few pages of posts. Like most of you I am pretty upset about Otto.

A new problem has cropped up on my 2001 M, and I would appreciate any assistance you can give me. With about 40K miles I am now getting intermittent performance of the radio. (This is the "upgrade" radio of that year with the four disc CD changer.) Sometimes when the radio is turned on I just get a slow and irregular flashing of the lights on the radio display, and sometimes it works fine.

After some experimentation, it seems that everything works fine if I remember to turn the radio off before I turn off the ignition, and if I do not turn it on again until after I have started the car. If I make the mistake of turning off the ignition with the radio still on, then the next time I start the car I get the flashing and just cycling the radio off and on while the car is running will not bring it back.

I had a similar problem at about 18K miles, but since the car was still under warranty at that time the dealer just changed out the old radio for a new one and that was it. Since I am not under extended warranty that is now not an option, and I would sure like to find a less expensive solution than buying another new radio with my own money.

A couple more datapoints: I am still running on the original battery (now 3 years and 40K miles old) and the rest of the dashboard instrumentation (climate controls, dash instruments, etc) do not seem to be influenced by this. Also, my radio station presets are still holding (although when the radio goes bad, and I keep it off for a day, then start the car with the radio off and then turn it on--it comes back on with some random radio station instead of the preset station that it was last running before it went bad).

So with those observations in hand I would appreciate it if any of you electronics wizards who have been posting about electrical systems and audio upgrades over the past few years could give me a clue on how to fix this one.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    To all board viewers, per info posted on another board, YB normal and Ottoworker are back at work at the Brampton Plant, with some restrictions I imagine on what they post on these message boards. The info they posted here was always very helpful to LH owners. I wish them and their families the best, and am happy they were allowed back to work. If you are reading this guys,Best Wishes for the Season and Happy New Year!
  • Options
    Hello everyone. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Wish everyone the best in 2004 and the future ahead. Is anyone interested in organizing a 300M meet somewhere in the Los Angeles or San Diego area? That would be great. I am up for help and will be glad to help!
  • Options
    bob370bob370 Member Posts: 2
    Good Afternoon Everyone:

I just found this discussion group and I am hoping someone can help me with a problem. While idling a couple of nights ago, the engine just shut off. All lights started blinking, including the ones for the CD player, everything. Turning the key off did nothing, kept blinking, for about 15-20 seconds. Car would not start while all lights were blinking.

When they stopped blinking, started car immediately. This has happened 3 times. Took the car to the dealer this morning and they found nothing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    Attended the Auto Show here in Indy this evening. There's 2 hours out of my life that I'll never get back! What a waste of time. Hoped maybe they would have a 300C there to see. Not a chance. I asked the guy at the Chrysler booth why a 300C wasn't there and he said "There are 3 other auto shows going on." Well, big whoop-de-doo! I guess little old Indianapolis doesn't rate. I'm sure DC has AT LEAST 4 of them built. The 300C was the main reason I even went. He suggested checking out the Dodge Magnum. So I did. At first look I wasn't too impressed, but as I strolled around it, I began to warm up to it. The neon amber parking lights were kind of cool but that's not enough to get me to trade my Special on one even if it does have a Hemi. And speaking of that, the 300M Special they did have on display was exactly like mine. That was the best part of the whole show. It seems that the overwhelming theme of auto styling right now is boxy, angular shapes. I'm sure glad I got my M before all decent styling was lost.
  • Options
    bpjohnsbpjohns Member Posts: 3
    Hey all, happy 2004. I'm a new 300M owner and this is my first DC product ever. So far I'm really happy with my purchase. Since August I've put about 7k miles on with mixed city/highway routes. I've got a trip from Chicago to New Orleans planned for next week and really get a chance to stretch the legs!

Anyone in Illinois use the IPASS toll system? It's an RFID transponder attached behind the rearview mirror that auto-deducts tolls from a prepaid account, renewable via credit card. I'm sure it's in place in other cities under different names. Anyway, I ordered one but asked that they send me a transponder that mounts on the front license plate bracket instead...because I doubt the transponder would work well with the metal grid (sunshade?) that is on top of the rearview mirror area. I see a lot of M's up in the northwestern suburbs or Chicago so I thought one or two of you may have the IPASS installed.

Cheers, Ben
  • Options
    dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    Saw a disturbing sight at DFW airport as I picked up a friend on New Years Eve. Yep, a 300M taxi. CHrome Razorstars and all.
  • Options
    say it ain't so, Duke!

I guess since the M has been out for over 5 years, we may see more of the older ones become taxicabs. It fits the bill - roomy, comfortable 5 passenger transportation and a good buy at current resale values...and I think a customer would rather have ride in an M than a Caprice, so it could be good for business (and tipping)...
  • Options
    BSpecial: I know, that's why I didn't go this year. The Indy auto show is a DEALER show, not a manufacturer's show. So, we get year-old product. If you're not looking to buy something on the showroom floor today, its no help.

BPJohns: I have an IPASS even though I live in Indy. I have it mounted as per IPASS instructions on the windshield near the rearview mirror. I it works just fine, and from the driver's seat, I can't see it. I travel to Chicago frequently on business and its a great time saver going through the many stupid toll booths in Chicago. Almost (I said almost) makes you happy to pay when you don't have to wait.