Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Dakota

Comments

• Options
    jjw1jjw1 Member Posts: 1
    Question on paint colors. I am getting a 98, but haven't narowed down the color. Dark colors show every swirl from a wash job, but how about the lighter ones...ie. bright white, bright jade and the bright blue? Is the overhead console feature really worth the added expense??? How about bucket seats??
  • Options
    ricklrickl Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks,

I'm fine tuning my option package for a Dakota, but lack a lot of basic information I hope someone out there may be able to supply. The dealer I talked to seem to give me what ever answer he seemed to think I wanted.

Anyone out there have the TUT option? Any comments on how the 31" wheels effect the usability? Cornering? Turning ratio? Road noise? Does the rear stabilizer bar stiffen the ride? How about those wheel flares? They look great, but are they just ornamental or do they really keep the sides of the truck from getting covered from wheel spray? I noticed the Dakotas were one of the few 4X4 sold without mud flaps, and haven't seen anyone retro fit them.

I'm unclear on what type of 4 Wheel drive the Dakotas have - can it drive on hard surfaces such as highways without binding it up or is it only for soft surfaces. Jeeps seem to have three types, Dodge only the part time and full time?

Other then the fuel economy, anyone hear of a problem with the 5.2's & the 4X4? Anything getting torn up or over worked?

A bed liner isn't an option? Strange. Does anyone know of the URL where I can get more info on bed liners and caps? I'd appreciate it.

So far the main problems I've heard about with the Dakotas are that its automatic transmission has a lot of complaints, sporadically shifting out of over drive and effecting gas milage. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks
  • Options
    E3MP6E3MP6 Member Posts: 70
    I didn't think the overhead console was worth $215. If you really want a compass, get one for $2 at Wal-Mart and stick it on your dash.

The wheel flairs add a lot to the looks, but the sides of my 4x4 still get a lot of road muck. I bought the moulded mud flaps out of the MOPAR catalog (vs. plain flat ones) for a few bucks, but haven't had a chance to install them yet.

MOPAR also makes a bedliner. Get your salesman to work that in as part of the deal AFTER you settle on price (ie..."I don't know. Throw in a bedliner for me and we'll call it a deal."). They'll usually go for it.

5.2 is a great engine and I haven't had problems with my 4x4 driving on hard surfaces...yet (just cursed myself). The V-6 comes with a regular transfer case with "shift-on-the-fly" to 4-high. Come to a complete stop and you can go to 4-low. The V-8 works the same, but comes with a heavy duty version of the transfer case. You can get a full time transfer case for about $400 (sticker) more.

The 31" tires look so much better on a 4x4 than the regular ones. I can still make the tight turns (well, as tight as possible with the club cab), but I think the ride is a little bit rougher. Not much, but I can feel bumps in the road a bit more than those I test drove with thte regular tires. Also, the 31" set will be more expensive to replace when the time comes, but it was worth it for looks alone, and will be even better when I take the truck off-roading in a few more years.
  • Options
    brucecbrucec Member Posts: 1
    I hear that the Dakota may get four doors in 1999 can anyone confirm this . I'd like to purchase a new truck (ex-cab) but am willing to wait if four doors are coming.
  • Options
    Dodge/Chrysler has said nothing (neither yes or no), but the rumor mill is working over-time. Where there's smoke there's...
  • Options
    Hi E3MP6

Thanks for the information. Sounds like you're a satisfied Dakota owner. You've encouraged me all the more to get the TUT option, and but I'd first like to get my hand on that MOPAR catalog you mentioned to see what other accessories are out there. Are they online?

I'd already decided to pass on the overhead consol and other power gadgetry, but here in the NE having 4X4 seems to be a necessity if you own a pickup, and this will be my first. I really don't plan on taking it off road any time soon, but the extra clearance will come in handy when we get a few feet of snow, and am just use to having a V8. I really like the look of the larger tires and flairs. Heck, I like the looks of the Dakota.

This brings me to my next quandary, which is the choice of trim packages - base, sport, or SLT? I like the looks of the sport best, but am concerned about that the plastic nose will be problematic in the long run. I had a ‘82 TransAm and a little 5 mph bump put it's plastic nose all out of shape. Also, last week I saw a Dakota that drove up country and its nose was plastered with bugs and road dirt. Not pretty, and I loth the idea putting a ‘bra' on the front of that great looking truck (assuming they make one).

The old timers swear that chrome is the way to go, but I'm guessing they are still thinking of their ‘57 chevy's bumpers that weighed a hundred pounds, the Dakotas look more cosmetic. Also, I don't' like the ‘grey' valence pane below the SLT's bumper, looks unpainted, but the two tone looks okay. What did you choose?

This is an open question to any Dakota owner out there. Why did you choose the model you did? What did you get, and what do you now wish you had or hadn't gotten?
  • Options
    pttaylorpttaylor Member Posts: 34
    Yo ricki,
    I am currently in possession of my 2nd Dakota. The first was a 1989 Sport 2.5L, 5sp, air and short bed. I drove that truck for 190K, replacing a few u-joints, a water pump, the rack & pinion steering (caused by driving in high salt water as I live on a low island off the coast of west central Florida), 2 headlight switches (dashboard), 1 radiator and rear axel bearings (again from wading through saltwater). I now own a 1998 Dakota 3.9 6cyl. auto air short-bed in flame red paint. No complaints except the gas mileage (12-15 city). I do not believe that the 5.2 V8 would be worth the added HP as my V6 is not taxed pulling the wieght of the short-bed. I really like the feel that the Dakota gives and you will not find a more "truck-looking" truck! It turns heads as when people first glance at it, they think it is a Ram, then they double-take when they realize it is a Dakota. I am 95% satisfied with the vehicle with the exception of the MPG! -P. Taylor
  • Options
    What's this "TUT" taht you keep mentioning?

I got the SLT+ (SLT w/lots o' junk). Mines black from top to bottom. I did not opt for the lower light driftwood paint. The chrome looks great against the black. I saw a black sport 4x4 club cab like mine, but it just didn't look as classy. I know that's not something you look for in a truck, but the chrome really does add a lot. I went w/the SLT instead of sport (would have been red or dk green in Sport) because the options that I wanted actually came out 'bout $500 cheaper in the SLT+ than in the Sport.

Give in to your male ego and get that big honkin' V-8 *grunt* *grunt*

***NOTE*** I have a 5-speed. The clutch is a very looooong clutch and is a bit stiffer than any car I've driven. Keep that in mind if you do a lot of stop-and-go stuff.
  • Options
    Get a mopar catalog from your dealership, or look at the extra junk at www.4adodge.com
  • Options
    Hi,

TUT is the optional equipment code for the (5) 31x10.5R15 OWL Cast Aluminum Wheels, Wheel Flares & Rear Stabilizer Bar (Req's Sport Pkg.-AGG or SLT Pkg.-ASP - 4WD). Basically the option for the "Big Tires" look.

Of course, with the increase in tire size I'm conserned about loosing some applied torque and need to make it up with either a steeper rear end or bigger engine, which is one reason they eat into gas mileage. For example, on my old Ford 4X2 with a straight 6, once I put 32" tires on it, if I encountered the smallest of hills I wasn't able to effectively use overdrive, and gas mileage dropped.

Reportedly, larger tires cause handling to be more sloppy in the corners due to all that sidewall, road noise increases dramatically, replacement costs are higher, and all that rubber on the road causes more friction which results in higher gas mileage.

The benefits? Well, on the Dakota I just test drove it raised the roof of the truck to about 6 feet and added a definitely "truck like" ride, made the truck look cool & very 4WD. On the useful side, they would eat pot holes for lunch, increase the ground clearance, and ... did I mention they looked cool?

This is one reason I raised the issue - wanting to know from someone who has them if they seriously ate in to the feisty little Dakotas performance or not. Your response, and my experience from test driving, seems to indicate they didn't.

My old Ford was under powered, but the Dakota with the V8 is, if anything, over powered for its size, so I wouldn't expect major handling or gas mileage impact since all reports indicate that the Dakota is a low end toque monster, with performance dropping noticeably if you get it near 3K RPMs, bigger tires may actually improve gas mileage (ya, thats the justification I needed ... whether it's true or not).

Of course this raises the question of what tires you get if you get TUT & Z5A (5240-5370-lb. GVWR, which includes (5) P235/75R15XL BSW Tires). If it came in with the smaller ones, would they exchange them if I wanted. Probably.

Anyone else have experience with the larger tires on the Dakota?

RickL
  • Options
    Hi pttaylor,

I agree that rationally the V6 probably would do all I wanted from the truck day to day, but as this will be the first new vehicle, and 4WD, I want it to be a "no regrets" experience, and some where around here I read that having a V8 is never having to say you're sorry!

Regarding the issue of gas mileage, my 83 Chevy with a V8/Auto only gets about 9 to 10 miles per gallon - but it is one sickly auto (had to keep it running while I was going to college, now it's time is past due). 16MPG sounds good!

With the Dakota, only about 2 MPG seems to be the difference between the V6 and V8.

So, say I drive 15,000 miles a year and get 15 MPG - I'd spend a grand on gas. If I got only 13 MPG, I'd spend an extra $150 bucks a year. Also, it should increase the Dakotas resell value, especially if they stop putting V8's in them some time in the future (No evidence, but rumored do to pending EPA restrictions).

I think of it this way, if you had a choice between a 64 Mustang with a V6 or V8, wouldn't you choose the V8? Think "sport truck."

However, I also realize that I'd have to factor in the extra $500 for the V8 at about 7% interest, increased cost in maintenance, insurance, and so on. I ran the numbers once, and it came out to be about $25 bucks a month.

The benefit - having the truck that brags about having the only V8 in it's class - with the V8! longer engine life, increased fault tolerance (my chevy's V8 ran with fewer cylinders firing than GM ever expected), and the power to use 4WD if I ever really had to.

(Side note, I use to go with a buddy who had a blown 454 in his 4WD Blazer to pull all the 'pretty' 4WD's out of the pits near his house - there is definitely a need for raw torque at times. In contrast, another friend who has a little Nission with the 4 cylinders 4X4 says it has pretty good power - unless you turn on the air conditioner!!! Can you imagine trying to climb out of a tuff spot? Most commuter' trucks don't seem to have the power for anything other then road or trail, but give the driver a false sense of security that they could.)

Although I admit I would be trying to avoid scratching the paint on my Dakotas - for the first few years at least.

I've gone back and forth on the V6 vs. V8 issue, and while I'm leaning towards the V8 (as illustrated above) I realize it is more of an emotional choice (security, image, etc) then practical (cost, use, etc).

Anyone else have an option on the V6 vs. V8 issue?
  • Options
    EricwEricw Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '98 Dakota Sport with the sport plus package, HD electrical, CD w/ infinity sound system. It's a 4x4 with manual trans and 318 engine... all for $20,000. This was about $700
    under factory invoice.
  • Options
    ALL the goodies? HeavyDuty electric? Engine Block Heater? different rear-end? Overhead console? SLT or Sport? Oversized tires? Full or Part time 4x4?

At almost $26,000, try to shave the dealer down to $22,000 or less. If you have to special order it, Dodge seams to be less flexible on price.
  • Options
    namestenameste Member Posts: 1
    Ericw...you made ahelava deal! What part of the country are you located? I'd like to do as well here in Southern Caifornia.
  • Options
    brinkbrink Member Posts: 1
    I want to lower my rear suspension on my 98 Dakota. Any advise on what to do and what parts to use without voiding my warranty?
  • Options
    SCHUURSCHUUR Member Posts: 10
    Any information on the 99's. Will they have rear door(s) option?
  • Options
    julie1julie1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 98 Dakota. It has about 6000 miles on it and I've already had it in the shop twice. My fuel tank sleeve snapped and my transmission has been given me problems for the last 2 months. However the service department can't find anything wrong with the transmission. Does anyone have any info/experience on the Dakota's transmission?
  • Options
    HorsewomanHorsewoman Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 1998 Dakota SLT Reg.Cab 4x2(cheaper than sport w/same goodies) and am still debating on the v8 vs. v6
    issue. There is a slim possibility that I would be hauling horses. But I do a lot more city driving then anything but do yearly make the trek to southern Florida.

I am mostly concerned with the tranny reports, O/D
    shifting in&out on the V6 and gas mileage

I would like to hear from anyone who has experiences with this sort of truck and any pros
    and cons.

I would also like to get a rough idea of what I
    should be paying for it.
  • Options
    specalkspecalk Member Posts: 4
    Julie 1
    I have a 96, transmission replaced at 4000 miles, had to fight to get a new one, not rebuilt. My truck went to the shop the following day from the purchase, and it started from there. It was in the shop for 101 days the first year I owned it, but Utah's lemon law it non existant, and I am a woman, and My truck is fine. Got the point. !
    Arbitration was denied by the local people and Chrysler and I was told that all of my problems had been repaired, and that their promises of customer satisfaction wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

My advice is to document, record and track everything said, done or incinuated about your truck, repairs or lack of- carry a BIG STICK with you at all times when dealing with them and have guts because they wont make it easy for you or on you. If you have a man to go to bat for you, unfortunity sometimes they listen.

I wish you luck and just be the stonger one.
  • Options
    I got a new (0 miles) with the V8 and all those options you listed (except overhead and auto), plus the top end sound system and the oversized tires, and it was an SLT for $22K. Try to talk him down to between $20,000 and $20,500. It sounds to me like you're lined up to get a pretty fair deal with a little negotiating. Oh yeah, have him throw in a bedliner for free if you want one.
  • Options
    P.S. mine sticker'd at $24,445. That $1,419 difference between my sticker and his looks like it probably comes from that auto tranny ($995) and the overhead console ($225 I think). Also my V8 adds $495 to my sticker.

Since their close to being the same truck and I was able to get mine at $22K AND it was a special order, having your dealer knock off $1500 or so is not unreasonable...It's a demo AND it's taking up space on his lot....**ching-ching**
  • Options
    ruzruz Member Posts: 59
    #0 of 0: Bloodman (MuffsDaddy) Thu 06 Aug '98 (04:59 PM)

After perusing the PICKUPS conference all day, I'm
    beginning to get a feel that the Dodge Dakota, a
    truck I am considering, may have a history of
    short-lived transmissions. I've never owned a
    Dodge, but the Dakota seems to be getting good
    reviews in general; however, being most interested
    in a dependable vehicle from 0 miles to 100,000
    miles, is the Dodge going to be average, below
    average, or above average in this respect.

Asked of all you Dodge Dakota owners (those with
    V-6 automatics, specifically), I'd appreciate any
    advice offered.
  • Options
    h2ojeth2ojet Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting to visit with someone about possible problems with the 98 Dakotas. I have a 5.9ltr R/T.
    I have been through 3 sets of front brake pads already. I am not yet to 1,000 miles either !!!
    Anyone else hear of a like problem?Where can I go to look for problems from other owners?
  • Options
    Did you type that right? THREE sets of pads in less than 1,000 miles???? Are you beating this truck like a red-headed stepchild or something? If you're racing this truck, think about putting in a racing brake set (ventillated rotors and all).
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! The dealer installed what they call a "co-pilot" that apparently
    takes computerized picture of the engine/transmission when it's acting up. This is nothing I expected from a new truck. I'm starting to think that foreign cars are the ticket to go.
    I've had Nissan and Toyota vehicles that never experienced any problems (except after
    300,000 miles). Thanks for your input and good luck with your dodge!!

Julie
  • Options
    BLOODMAN

I have a 98 dakota sport, V6, auto trans w/5000 miles. I wouldn't recommend buying one right now. My truck has been in the shop 4 times. Once for a broken fuel tank sleeve, and 3 times for transmission problems. It seems like the transmission can't figure out what gear it wants to be in. RPM's don't go up but the sound of the engine is like it's still in first going 50 miles an hour.
  • Options
    jason711jason711 Member Posts: 1
    I want to buy a 98 Dakota R/T, but I can't find a price for it anywhere on this site, and it's not listed in the options section. It has a 5.9L V8, it's lowered a couple of inches, and it has a sport suspension with 17 inch rims. If anyone has any info. about dealer invoice on these I would greatly appreciate it!
  • Options
    BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Check out the Kelley Blue Book site and see if they list it. www.kbb.com
  • Options
    83008300 Member Posts: 4
    I'm just cheap or I'm I right. Dealer in St. Louis has a demo with all the goodies. It has 6100 miles on it, and he knock it down from $21927 to $21500. I'm thinking I can get it down to $20700 to $20000. O yeah dakota 4wd, auto, club cab, bedliner. Why can't a dakota have special financing or rebate on it this time of year. Or will it becoming up soon
  • Options
    You're right. I got one stickered at 24,445 for right around 21,000. If all he's gonna do is take $427 off the sticker of a DEMO, he's nuts, or thinks YOU are. Pay no more than 20K if the sticker is $21,927
  • Options
    greg84105greg84105 Member Posts: 2
    there is no mention of anyone with a dakota club cab sport with the 2.5 L 4 cyl. I know it is a small engine, but does anyone have one, & if so, could you tell me about how you like it? I found one for $13,500 new and I am contemplating the purchase

thanks
  • Options
    greg84105greg84105 Member Posts: 2
    BTW it's a 98 4X2
  • Options
    Greg,
    I considered a 2.5L before I bought the 3.9L V6 auto w/air. I traded a 1989 Dakota 2.5L 5sp w/180k mi. for a new '98. I had very good luck with that engine (2.5)! Only replaced the water pump (at 100K). It did eat u-joints though (half a dozen). It had to have the rack and pinion replaced as I live on a low Island on the west central coast of Florida and find myself in water occasionally, it got sand and salt in it. I was over all happy with the drive line. I drove it on a delivery route in city conditions and got 18-20 mpg. I can not say that it was always tuned up or I am sure I would have gotten better mileage.
    I found on the 98 Dakota that they do not offer the 4cyl. in 4WD or Auto. So I went with the 3.9L V6 4x2 auto/air. My in town mileage is around 15 mpg with the air going here in humid Florida. While I miss the economy of the 4cyl. I do appreciate the ooooomph of 175hp when I get on I-75! BTW, I got the working mans version (no carpeting, powerlocks/windows or fancy front bumpers but did get 21 gal. tank, sliding rear glass and a free bed liner and paid 14K. Let me know how you do! -PT
  • Options
    cysarmastcysarmast Member Posts: 1
    After searching for about a month I have finally decided that 98 Dodge Dakota is the truck that I want to buy. I would appreciate any feed back about the performance, longevity, and just general satisfaction with the truck. I am planning on actually buying one in about two weeks.
  • Options
    8300: If you dealer won't come down to your 20-20.5K range, let him keep his truck. Go get one from a dealer that really does want to sell to you, and then you can get one w/o the ugly pinstriping.
  • Options
    kip3kip3 Member Posts: 20
    I just spent the day looking at new Dakotas. I want V8, towing packages, heavy duty things, limited slip,power windows/locks, and stuff,power seat, and all the bells and whistles: LOADED! I was looking at extended cabs. I tried sitting in the back seat and decided that some radical surgery would be required before I could do that for any length of time. I'm 5'7" tall. It would be great for the dog,luggage,or very small children, but not adults of any shape,size, or description. There is almost no leg room.The front seat backs were too tall to see over because the back seat cushion is very low. The front seat is not really wide enough to seat 3 people with any comfort. Anyone sitting in the front middle seat has no head rest.whiplash city).
    The V8 is very quick until about 3500-rpm, then kind of settles down.The dealers in the Atlanta area were willing to come off the +/- $24000 price about $1500-$1800. Then a very patient sales person suggested a Ram 1500 "Sport". It was a short bed regular cab with "EVERYTHING" but leather. It has the same turning circle as the extended Dakota. Room for 3 adults in the front seat, a 5.9 V8 rated at 13-18 MPG vs 14-18 MPG for the V8 Dakota. It had a lower list price and they were willing to sell them for $300 over invoice. There is lots of organized storage behind the front seat, but not enough room for the dog.The engine was very willing all the way to the red line. My driving impressions were that it was as quick or quicker, rode better over bumps, had more equipment and cost about the same or less. You can also see over the top of a Dakota when driving the Ram. I think I would feel more secure in the Ram when pulling a heavy load. When going for the "no frills specials", a Dakota might be a better deal,especially in tight traffic/parking situations. The smaller Dakota 4x4 would be better in the woods, but for me...I think,that in this case,MORE FOR LESS IS BETTER!
    Thanks, Kip
  • Options
    mcbradmcbrad Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to purchase a 98 Dakota and have concerns with the factory warranty repairs. I've heard differing opinions on whether these trucks are built as durable as some of the competition and don't want to spend any additional time with this vehicle in the dealership for even the smallest of repairs. any experienced owner's want to share your good, bad or indifferent stories before I make a final decision
  • Options
    cageyonecageyone Member Posts: 1
    I have the identical question as mcbrad (#146). We are comparing the Dakota to the Toyota Pre-runner and reliability is a critical factor. Owner experience stories are appreciated. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    If quality is a big point (I hate to say this...please don't shoot me) maybe you should take a look at an F-150. They're not much bigger than a Dakota and Ford's quality control is light years ahead of Chrysler's.
  • Options
    In41TimeIn41Time Member Posts: 8
    I have the 1998 Dakota 4X4 Extended Cab much like the one Edmunds reviewed & I love it. But there are a few things (aren't there always)that I fine annoying. A minor point is the fit and quality of the interior materials. For example, the plastic trim on the front seat console has become dislodged. The dealer fixed it for zip.
    The most significant item I dislike is the rear braking. Leave plenty of distance between you and the car in front is my advice.
  • Options
    In41TimeIn41Time Member Posts: 8
    I've seen lots of discussion about the decision to buy the V8 or the V6. I have the V6 (1998, 4X4, Sport, Auto, Club Cab, 10,500 Miles ). GET THE V8! With the V6 I'm only getting about 15mpg in town and the best I've done on the highway is 18.6 mpg on a 150 mile trip over rolling hill terrain. Guy I work with has the very same truck with the V8 and gets almost the exact same mileage (14.5 city, 18 highway). One other reason is that there are many more after-market performance items for the 5.2 V8 than for the 3.9 V6.
  • Options
    It'll help the resale value too...
  • Options
    bcsimscabcsimsca Member Posts: 3
    OK, I'll admit 1st that I'm blond! So I apologize for the dumb questions. But I can't make heads or tails out of the options that are listed in this site, so I have no idea what is available. This will be my first truck. I'm interested in a V-6 manual extended cab short bed Sport Dakota. With, of course, air, power windows/locks, and cruise control. But I can't figure out which package that is. Mostly I'll be commuting 40 miles a day, and carrying around a bunch of crap (but nothing heavy) and on the rare occasion, towing a small sailboat. So no need for 4X4, and the RAM is just too big for me. So, what about the axle ratio options? And the HD sound insulation package in the ASU option list? Any preferences in the front seat configuration (it's just me and the dawg.) And can I run it through a car wash (this was mentioned in another conference room and.. well, I shouldn't admit it but I never wash my car and I don't think that'll change much!)

I drive a Saturn SC2 now, so I'm concerned about how will driving a rear wheel truck with little weight in the back affect turning, cornering on freeways, and stopping? I live in Southern CA so I only have to worry about bad weather and snow when I go skiing (once or twice a year.)

Also, I want a cover over the bed and a trailer hitch, so should I order them with the truck, or get them after the fact?

What else should I consider getting or do I need, or what can I do without as a salesman could easily snow me. Any advice or opinions are welcome.
  • Options
    Blond, With the lite rearend and possible snow trips, I would order the "anti-spin (limited slip) 3.55 axel. If you want a torneau(hard flat) cover, u can order that from Dodge to match your truck and it will carry the same warranty as the truck. When you order your truck you can make part of the deal that they give you a 15% discount for accessories. That will put it real close to the price of Lear or Snug-top covers. The weight of the Torneau Cover will also [non-permissible content removed] some needed weight to the bed. It also gices you a giant lockable trunk. If I were you I would seriously consider the V8 engine. It will get about the same milage w/much better performance. go to http://www.4adodge.com/lineup.html and go to Dakota and accessories for pictures and prices in living color. kip
  • Options
    Blond,I'm sorry about the type-o above.It will "ADD" needed weight.It will "GIVE" you a large trunk. I think you don't want a 4x4, but Post #150 kind of verifies about gas milage.The limited slip axle will give added traction, by applying power to both rear wheels if 1 begins to spin. Also the dodge Trailer Hitch and Wiring will give you a much better wiring harness. It is wired and plugged all the way to the fuse box. Not just spliced in. Good luck! kip
  • Options
    londoglondog Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a '98 Intense Blue Club Cab Sport 4x2 with V6, auto and air. I've always owned Ford autos and I wanted a Ranger, but after a couple test drives in the Dakota I could not resist such a BOSS looking truck! And the color is BEAUTIFUL! I know quality control is a crap shoot with Mopars nowadays. At least you have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one, as opposed to 0 chance about 10 years ago. Mine has stayed together very well so far...

The V6 runs good and returns decent mileage considering the size and weight of the vehicle. I can even burn rubber if I rev it up and then drop it in Drive! Maybe I'll install a SuperCharger!

I'll probably end up with an F series or a Ram in a few years (no Generic Motors or Rising Sun tin cans for me, thank you), but this Dakota will do for now.
  • Options
    iwannatruck2iwannatruck2 Member Posts: 6
    I am considering ordering a '99 Dakota Ex-Cab 4x4 Sport with a V-8, full time 4 wheel drive, and about every option (except the power driver seat). I qualify for the employee discount, so I get to splurge. :)

I have a long list of questions for you die hard Dakota fans that will help me with my decision making. If you don't mind, please also forward your responses to adam.ant@mailcity.com.

1. What is option DDC? The only difference between option package 25H and 26H is that 25H requires DDC and 26H requires DGB (4 speed auto).

2. What is option 4XA?

3. What axle ratio would you recommend? Today, I have nothing to haul. Someday, I may have a boat and/or trailer. I will probably use it for off roading in a few years when it's not-so-pretty anymore.

4. Can you order an SLT with body colored fascia and grille? Edmund's says you can; the Dodge literature says you can't. I thought that was the main difference between the Sport and SLT models. Every SLT model I've seen has had chrome fronts/rears.

5. Is option AJL (overhead convenience group) available on Sport+ models? Edmund's doesn't even list it as an option; the Dodge literature says that it is an available option.

6. I have found many other inconsistencies between Edmund's and the Dodge literature. Have any of you made the same observations and who is usually correct?

7. Who would need the HD Electric Group, HD Service Group, or HD Engine Cooler? Are these only needed for the serious off-roader or work truck?

8. Does anybody know (mechanically) how an Engine Block Heater works?

9. Is Sure Grip Axle just another name for Limited Slip Differential? Would you recommend it? We get a lot o' snow up here in Michigan.

10. Anyone opt for the Full Time Transfer Case? How is it? Better than the Part Time?

11. I've seen a few Dakotas with the 'Dodge' and '4X4' text on the tailgate in a raised reflective material. I like that better than the stickers. Is that an option for either SLT or Sport models?

Many thanks for any help you can give.
  • Options
    I can answer a few of those, but someone else will have to jump in to finish 'em off...

#3) Get the 3.55, good streetability and can still pull what you may need to in the future.

#4) Chrome is the SLT model ONLY. Can't get Chrome on Sport, can't get body colored on SLT.

#5) Yes. Overhead group is avil. on all Dakotas.

#6) Haven't noticed any, but trust Dodge first.

#7) Hard working trucks and/or extreme weather conditions. i.e. HD engine cooler might be nice in the arizona desert

#9) Yep...Dodge likes to re-name stuff. It seems like most people here reccomend it too...

#11) The raised lettering comes standard on the SLT package. Not available on the Sport. However...I've been told by a dealership (actual mechanics, not greasy salesmen) that the Sport stickers can be removed with a hairdryer. I bet you could get the SLT raised lettering through the parts department and stick 'em on after your truck arrives.

SLT or Sport will probably depend on the color. Mine's a black SLT (black/chrome looks sweeeet) but I would have gone with Sport if I had decided on red. Take a look at some of the different colour/grille combos at your dealership and see what you like best. If you're loading up on options, SLT+ might be cheaper than a Sport or Sport+...mine was.
  • Options
    iwannatruck2iwannatruck2 Member Posts: 6
    1. Is the Power Convenience Group (windows, locks, remote keyless entry) available on Sport+ models?

2. I have already heard about the new radio controls on the steering wheel (like the Grand Cherokee's). What else is new for '99?

3. What do you like better? Bucket seats or the 40/20/40 split bench?

4. I was thinking of having the seats upholstered in leather. (I told ya I was gonna load it up.) Anybody else done this?

5. Chrome lovers, are you concerned about the scratching, chipping, bubbling, rusting, etc. on those pretty chrome bumpers & grilles? That's how I remember my old cars and that's probably why I'm not crazy about getting chrome on this truck.

Keith, thanks for the timely response.
  • Options
    Hello group,
    My 1998 Dakota is fire red with those tan colored sections on the lower bumpers both front and rear. The upper sections on these bumpers are a nearly flat black. I want to paint those ugly flesh colored lower sections and wonder if it will take a certain type of paint. The surfaces seem to be plastic or whatever the factory uses. The last car that I owned with painted bumpers was a Firebird years ago with those rubbery nose bumpers and the "special" paint was needed for it. The lower Dakota bumpers seem to be made of polyurethan or the like. Any ideas on what type of paint to use on them??? -Thanks in advance, P.T.
This discussion has been closed.