Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I had one of those - they become projectiles in a car accident. It's a personal decision but I stopped using mine after it flew around the car when I was rear-ended.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    This thing can't even weigh a few ounces. It's all plastic (including the mirror), 2"x4" and I doubt it weighs as much as an empty CD jewel case. I honestly don't think it presents any risk at all. Maybe you're thinking of a bigger, heavier unit?

Regardless, I appreciate your comment and understand the risk of unsecured objects during an accident. It's one of the main reasons I decided against a portable DVD system and went with an installed, drop-down unit.
    It was one of those 1st Safety or some such brand. Very light, about 2x3, with suction cup or clip mount. When I was hit it came off the windshield and landed in the back seat. Luckily, the car seat was empty and AFAIK it didn't get anywhere it.

If it's not bolted on, it can fly. It may not hurt much, but it will hurt if it hits a child or infant.

This isn't a dig against anyone's choices, but it can be dangerous IMHO.
  • prasadperiprasadperi Member Posts: 40
    Folks,
    I just got a SAVV mirror [non-permissible content removed] monitor. I wasw wondering if any one installed a rear view camera and a mirror with a built in monitor. How easy is the fuse box for the reverse lights to access the power supply for a rear view camera?

Thanks
    Prasad
  • frmulcahyfrmulcahy Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone used the Power Outlet in the Ody to run a small microwave? We have not attempted yet nor have we even purchased the oven, but I was not sure if I would be putting to much strain on the van's electrical harness. I was planning on buying a converter and plugging the oven into it and and then the converter into the power outlet?

Thoughts, ideas or experiances would be welcome!
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    maybe 500 watts would work, but for 5000 you are going to need a nuclear power plant.

even 500 watts is pushing it - I'd say most cigarette lighters can handle about 300 watts anything more and you need to hook your power converter up to the batter directly.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    batter?!? Is that a new energy source? Is it cake or pancake batter? How much power will it produce? I swear, first I hear about these new-fangled energy cells and then this. What will they come up with next?!? ;-)
  • kimo9kimo9 Member Posts: 71
    Here are the some links. Any opinions or comments from current owners of either of these products is appreciated.

http://www.magnetbra.com/models.html

and

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=21&yea- r_no=2004&veh_id=281&item_group_id=5&veh_opt_choice_i- d=0
    kim,
    some of us have chimed in on the bra topic.

the trade off from deflecting bugs and rocks from the front end of the car is having a color change in the paint over time due to the sun or lack of it. Plus when it rains you will need to take it off for drying.

I think it looks nice enough, but opt not to do it.

JMHO
    Anyone come up with an ingenious idea for making their own Cargo Tray. I'd rather not have to pay the $70 plus shipping from HANDA if I don't have to.

I have a few of my own ideas but wanted to get ideas from others.
    Some questions to ask yourself are:
    How much is your time worth?
    How much material (and at what cost) might you waste while you learn how to make your own?
    Do you truly enjoy such do-it-yourself projects?
    Would it bother you to have a potentially-cheesy looking thing in your $25,000 or so vehicle?

For me the answers result in $70+ looking pretty derned cheap! YMMV
  • ragtopragtop Member Posts: 35
    I totally agree with dako_tian. It not very easy to make a cargo tray especially the 5 inch sides.
    If you were talking about winter rubber mats for the inside of the van, than that's a different story. I ended up getting a rubber bed liner and cutting it up to fit perfittly. Better coverage than the carpet mats that came with the van.
    I have 3 kids under 12 and what a mess they make after they come in after they've played in the snow. Even the driver side gets pretty dirty but with my self-custom rubber mats, when I take it out to hose down, the carpet is very clean. my 2 cents.
    Yeah...I know you guys are right..... ;-) Just looking for a way to save be cheap.

I am interested in the material you used to cover the inside of the van, where you got it, and how much it cost........also anything you learned while making it that would be of interest/help.
  • ragtopragtop Member Posts: 35
    Kim, If you're talking about my custom rubber floor mats for the inside of my car, I purchased a rubber pick-up truck bed liner. I personally purchased it at BJ wholesalers for $79.99. I've also have seen it at walmart, kmart and any auto supply place for a few dollars more.
    I looked at the box and tried to find the biggest pick-up truck. The one I got was for a bed of around 4 feet by 6 1/2 feet. I think it was a Ford. It was about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick and was ribbed on the top and had stubs underneath. I then took the original carpet mats and lay it down on the rubber bed liner and made an outline. I then went back and looked at where the original carpet did not cover and added that to the outline. Remember, better to cut too big than too small. I then cut it out. This was hard because the rubber was so thick. I then placed the "now" new rubber mats into the van and trimmed off any place where there was too much and you got yourself some custom mats.

One other thing, the ribs on the rubber mats only went in one direction, so I had to cut it out so the ribs went across the van. Better foot traction.
  • msknopfmsknopf Member Posts: 12
    want to get a trailer hitch for my 2003 oddy and use just for bike rack, no towing at all. I am interested in people's experience and whether honda dealer insisted on installing the full towing kit or just the hitch. Are there any alternatives to going back to the dealer? Also, what did people pay? Thanks in advace
    I guess it depends on your dealer. I posed to my dealer the following for my 00:

I'd like to install a trailer hitch for the purpose of carrying bikes. I do not plan to tow - I don't even plan on installing a wiring harness. Do you think there could be a warranty issue if the tranny acted up?

The reply was that I'm a regular service customer and a straight shooter. They would go to bat for me with Honda if there was an issue. They couldn't guarantee me anything but they felt that my history would be looked upon favorably. YMMV.

But I never installed one.
    msknopf,
    If you're just hauling bikes on your rear hitch, like me, then you don't need to wire up the hitch for lights or brake assistance. That should be proof enough that you're not towing something.

I bought my 2" hitch and installed it myself in about an hour - pretty easy. Cost was $125.0 (DrawTight). Prices savings from an internet buy will be negated with shipping charges.

If you go with the full blown Honda tow package with tranny cooler it can run you close to a grand.

When you get your bike rack, make sure you consider the kind that fold down so you can access the hatch with out romoving the rack.
  • nit2nit2 Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone used the backup sensor or camera on their Ody? Are they effective and is one better than the other?
  • beemer4mebeemer4me Member Posts: 42
    Hi all, anyone here tried or heard anything about the KYB replacement shocks(available at Tire Rack) for the Ody?
  • calvus805calvus805 Member Posts: 7
    Regarding a trailer hitch, take a look at U-Haul. I just called a local U-Haul, asked how much a hitch would be on an '01 Odyssey:

Class II hitch $107.25 (can pull some things, but nothing really heavy; can pull, say, a 4'x8' trailer max)

Class III hitch $129.00 (heavier, can pull bigger trailers if needed)

Prices above don't include tax or optional add-ons, like a warranty, drawbar (slides into the hitch), ball, wiring, or labor).

Labor, parts, & tax for a Class III hitch = $172.43 installed
    Labor, parts, & tax for a Class II hitch = ~ $18 less, so ~ $154 installed

lifetime warranty on the parts: extra $5
    Draw bar = extra $20
    hitch ball = extra ~ $6 (if you want to pull something)
    wiring = extra $16 plus $18 labor (if you want to hook up lights on a trailer)
    you'll need the trany cooler or risk voiding your warranty
    $2.25/quart at dealership.

Worth it?

What are the Mobil 1 Sam's Club prices going for?
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    I got into a conversation with a guy in the parts department at my dealer. He told me that the oil they sell to consumers is not what they use in the shop. The shop oil is purchased in bulk. He then recommended saving some money and checking with Walmart.
  • nit2nit2 Member Posts: 40
    Just got the dealer to install the rear-view or backup camera. Diplays on the NAV screen when you shift into reverse and covers enough that it is very helpful in spotting anyone or any low objects right behind the van. Caveat: 1) you still want to use your side mirrors and 2) getting a sense for distance probably takes some time.
    All in all, a nice add to the minivan.
    I would agree. Anything sold today will have a ANSI stamp on the back stating that they meet or exceed manufacuturers requirements. Even the no-name brands. But people get pretty hung up on a particular brand due to marketing if you ask me.

That said, you could do a little better than $2.25, but you're looking at only saving a few bucks.

The only thing you might have to worry about is someone cheap enough to put recycled oil in your car.
  • mills6mills6 Member Posts: 1
    I don't seem to find any running boards out there for my Odyssey. I'd like to get some so my kids don't have to crawl over the sliding door tracks to get in. Does anyone know where to get some running boards?
  • deandean Member Posts: 2
    We are purchasing a new 2004 LX. I noticed in some old posts on this board that the cargo cover has major problems and is basically not recommended. Has that changed in the 2004 model or is it still recommended that I not purchase this option?

Also, the installation charges for the keyless remote ($121), cargo cover ($200), and cargo net ($100) seem excessive, especially the latter two. I have communicated my opinion to the salesman in an email. Any advice on whether I should try to negotiate these or just try to install these myself (is that even a viable option?) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    I'd follow the link from the sponsor at the top of this page, and download the installation instructions for the items you are interested in. You can check the pricing there too. ;)

For the Cargo Tray, Cover and Net:
    http://www.handaccessories.com/odyint02.html

For the Keyless remote:
    http://www.handaccessories.com/odyelec02.html

Personal opinions here...the net charges seem excessive...they just toss it in the car (that's what I've seen on EXs)! You'd better be able to find the points where it attaches, or it's too complicated for you and you shouldn't buy it. Note the cost from this site is $32. Tell your dealer to toss it in your car for free. $100 geesh.

I wonder what they would have charged to install the cargo tray. Ha ha ha. It just drops in.

The cover? Are you running contraband? Just joking. But seriously, you want to cover your groceries for 3 minutes in the hot sun while you run into some other shop? Go to another dealership to look in the cars they have on the lot (or up to someone else's ODY in your neighborhood), and try peering into the cargo area. I find the tint on the hatch to be fairly dark. To see into the hatch area, you need to be right next to the car. Only you can decide if this is worth it, depending on what you really envision using it for.

Now the keyless entry. Download those instructions... Ask yourself it you want to do that job. $121 for the kit w/installation would be killer, but I presume, you were being quoted the cost to install only. The H&A price for the kit is 158 or so. How much are they charging you for the option (without installation).

Hope this helps.
  • deandean Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply and for the links. Based on those instructions, it looks like I could install the net and cover myself. We think the cover would be useful to keep packages and other stuff hidden when parked in public, but we'll take a closer look at the tint, etc.

I probably wouldn't try installing the keyless remote myself, but I'll see if I can find someone else to install it and then just buy it from H and A Accessories. The $121 was just for the installation. The dealer price for the keyless remote itself was $278, so I can save at least $120 by going to H&A.

We're definitely not buying any of this stuff from the dealer now. Thanks for the info.
    You know - just to make things tough for you - a dealer installed accessory might carry a warranty which it might otherwise not carry if done by yourself, or someone else. I'm not sure but its worth considering. The other thing, specially on the keyless, if the dealer breaks something, they have or can get the replacement parts...

Are you going to shop around the instructions for installing the keyless? Are you within 100 or 200 of the deal?

Crazy idea here: why don't you just tell your dealer what you want; you want the LX in <insert color)>, at <insert drive off the lot price>, with <insert option or options of your choice>.

If not that dealer, what about another dealer?

When we bought our LX, I wanted roof rails so I'd have something to tie down roof soft packs, Christmas trees, and maybe someday I'd get some cross bars to go along with it incase I needed to haul lumber. ;)

We worked it so we got what we wanted. We worked a little toward the cost of the rails, but they did the installation for free. The installation would have been easy...I'm fairly mechanically inclined...Then there was the issue of the kids (2) with one on the way...and cutting up brand new gutter guards...we thought about it, and when you factor in your time (and hesitancy to start ripping into a new car)...well we let the dealer do it.

If you're close, all I'm saying is maybe the sales mgr will just work the deal so their service department will install it at cost or something.

Smile and ask. They might say yes.

Enjoy.
  • amg7861amg7861 Member Posts: 3
    I tried to find a posting of someone installing a ventvisor but found none,, so here is my experience. Easy to do and I think it will help with keeping the heat down in the summer. I put them on about 3 weeks ago and have no complaints. No additional noise and they look good. After searching the web, I found bestdarnparts.com with a good price and excellent customer service.
  • kcc455kcc455 Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone have the bicycle mounting kit that can carry bikes inside the Odyssey? It looks like the third row folds down and the bike mounts are on the third row seat once folded into the floor. Does a full size bike fit in without removing the 2nd row seats? Would you recommend this setup vs. a trailer hitch and bike mount? I just bought an 04 EX-L Odyssey and have 2 bikes and child trailer.
    Thank You.
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Al, you will really like the VentVisors. I have put them on the past 5 vehicles we have owned. I ordered a set for our '04 Ody and hope to install them this weekend.
    Click on the "H and A Accessories.com" add banner at the top of this page (http://handa-accessories.com/). Then click on the Honda, then Odyssey, then your 2002-2004, then Interior/and more..., then wait patiently for the page to load and look 10 or 15 items down for:
    Interior Bike Attachment
    Genuine Honda Odyssey bike attachment. Convenient, secure means of carrying bike inside van. Up to 2 attachments can be installed.
    Retail $149.00
    our Price $108.94
    what the heck is that?

re: bike mounts for inside the Ody - can't say I know much about that, but have a rear trailer hitch mounted bike carier is awesome. It's nice to have one that will fold away from the hatch as well.
    Yo Steve, you can view them here: www.macneilauto.com
    They have changed the name, (to protect the innocent,) now called WeatherFlectors.
    Click on the 4th image under the van. No stick on outside the window frame. They fit right into the window channel, much cleaner look.
    hogboy (great name)
    the vent visors sound handy in a place where it rains in the summer and venitlation is a must.

Never rains in No. Cal. during the summer.

Did you place visors for the rear flip out windows on your oddy?
    Steve, they only make them for the front windows.
    Yes, they do give you a little extra ventilation when you leave the vehicle parked outside while at work or whatever. They also help sometimes with sun glare depending on the time of day and angle of the sun.
    These folks also have great floor mats. You may pay a little more, however, I feel you get a quality product from them.
  • imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    These items are on my Odyssey window sticker as dealer add ons. I don't see mud flaps and I only see roof rails, no CROSS BARS. Could they have taken them off or forgotten to put these on the vehicle. I just want to make sure that I am not missing them somewhere LOL.

MUDS are mud flaps screwed on near the front tires (or rear too?) and cross bars are additional bars that attach to the luggage rack long bars on the EX standard???

Thanks for your help! christine
    Christine, you are correct. They are both options that should be installed by the dealer upon taking delivery.
    The mud guards should be a set of four installed at front and rear. Cross bars for the roof rails are sets of 2.
  • buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    Mud gaurds or splash guards, and crossbars are optional equipment.
    If the price list sticker on your van includes these optional items
    than they should be on the vehicle when you take it off of the lot.
      Go to Honda Excessories for competitive prices for add-ons. The
    dealer will almost always charge more.
  • thornyschizoidthornyschizoid Member Posts: 2
    I think I saw this problem posted once, but cannot find it again . . .
    When re-installing the molding after it has been removed and cut, it does not fit snugly - they are rather loose. What do you do to get them to sit tight??
  • scpanjscpanj Member Posts: 2
    All,
      I have just purchased 2004 EX-RES, and want to install the alarm and remote starter system. Anyone can recommend where is the best place to buy and install them? does this will void the warranty? Thanks

-- steve
    thorny,
    I'm a little lost on what you're doing, since the oddy comes with a rack as standard equipment - at least mine did.
    presumably, he/she is dealing with the LX where rails are not standard.

i imagine it's a matter of either lining up the rubber/plastic channels/tabs so they ride both to the inside or both to the outside of the channels/tabs on the roof...don't know for sure - the instructions are on the H & A Accessories web page though.
  • mb-s65mb-s65 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone have the console armrest for the Ody, any thoughts on it. I've seen it priced at $180 installed, is it worth it?
  • hha27dhha27d Member Posts: 1
    hi
    i think it is for storage purposes and it is big to lean on - but it depends on you
  • annejoe1668annejoe1668 Member Posts: 9
    Does any one of you try playing DVD+R copies on your Honda DVD system? Since I don't want to leave our original movies inside the hot vehicle under the sun, so want to make sure it works with copies before we commit to buy the OEM DVD from HONDA. Else, I should go get the after-market's.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • mdowensmdowens Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 EX-RES Odyssey. I have played DVD+R copies in my Odyssey, without any problems.
This discussion has been closed.