Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Ford Escape Gas Mileage

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    skimiksskimiks Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

Titanium 2.0L 4WD:

When I shoot for perfect score for both speed and anticipation, I get about 19/26 mpg city/hwy, for a combined score of about 22mpg when time spent on the side streets/hwy is 50/50. When I drive in traffic a lot, the combined mpg drops to about 20.

When I drive aggressively, I get about 17mpg combined, where the city mpg drop to 13-15 range. Driving in Santa Monica would do this to your mpg.

Overall with my normal driving habits, I get about 20 mpg. Not too shabby for what it is, but it could be better.

Oh and I've had this car for about 10 months now, the car has 9000 or so miles. Mileage holds up consistently depending on my driving style.

• Options
    automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105

Skimilks, It looks like your mileage is pretty much in-line with what others are getting from the 4WD 2.0. I am a 2.0 FWD owner and I am just wondering why so many are purchasing the 4WD version. Was your decision based on dealer availability, personal preference, necessity, marketing etc? Running the FWD (which weighs 150 lbs less, I am able to easily get 24 MPG combined and 30MPG highway.) I also tow a trailer in the summer and drive through lots of snow in the winter. Generally it seems that the FWD uses about 10% less fuel than the 4WD.
    Mind you I did have to factory order it ! I really wonder with the CAFE rules getting tighter all the time, if the car makers won't be forced to try to push the more economical solutions in the future.

• Options
    kdoz40kdoz40 Member Posts: 1

I just purchased my 2013 escape with 34000 miles on it. I am getting such varied mgp that I am very confused. At first it was under 20 then I filled up and it went up to 31. This week I cleared the trip and mpg and filled up again and I am at 14 mpg. What is going on

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

Are you hand calculating it, or just reading the onboard computer output? If it's the latter, that can vary widely, and you may be looking at an "instant mpg" option that only tells you what you are getting at that moment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    automelon48automelon48 Member Posts: 105
    A quick update on my 2013 Escape SEL FWD 2.0 mileage. Now after 100 tanks of fuel and 47,000 km (29,187 miles) my lifetime average fuel economy is 24.2 MPG or 9.7 L/100km. This includes Canadian winters, and some trailer towing in the summer. These figures are hand calculated at the pump each time. (by the way, the onboard computer is usually pretty close)
    This past summer, I did less trailer towing, so my average is actually increasing. On the last 10 tanks I have averaged 27.0 mpg (8.7 L/100km) with the worst tank at 23.8mpg (9.9 L/100km) and the best at 30.3mpg (7.7 L/100km).
    I have found that speed is a big factor to get good mileage. At 62mph or 100kph I can exceed the EPA ratings but at 70Mph or 112 kph I will fall a bit shy of the EPA ratings.
    I have also experimented with different grades of fuel, from 87 through 91 octane. (I always use 91 for towing) I have found that the 91 octane (without ethanol) does give a little better mileage, but not enough to warrant the difference in price.