Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Falling out of Love with Subaru? 07 Forester w/59k leaking from head gasket

nolove07subinolove07subi Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in Subaru
My Subaru Love affair is on the rocks. I went back and forth with the last place to have changed the oil because it appeared like an oil leak was coming from oil filter. They said no but changed the filter and could not give any advise on where it was coming from. Back at home, I stuck my camera phone down in the engine compartment and took a bunch of photos which revealed oil leaks from both head gaskets! I took it to Bob Baker Subaru in Carlsbad CA where I purchased the vehicle new. They confirmed the head gaskets are leaking and will ask Subaru if they will help me with the repairs. The issue is that the car is 6 years old and therefore out of warranty even though it is still under 60 k. We will see how much Love they extend toward me and whether or not they stand by their product. If they get this right, Love will flow right back at them.

I'll update the outcome to anyone interested.

Comments

• Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167

So what was the outcome?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Welcome to the "OH NO THE HEAD GASKET" Subaru club. Some Subaru owners of pre 2011 Subarus with the 2.5L engine, and MANY Subaru owners with a 2003 or older 2.5L, will face this problem, usually around 90,000 miles to 130,000 miles, right in there. It's an engine design problem, basically, that allows the head gaskets to move. After 2011, it's a new engine design.

I believe we just joined the club on an 07 OB 74K.

I'm a former member myself; fortunately, we have an ace Subie shop in San Rafael, CA who is very fairly priced, so I took the plunge and fixed mine up and got a lot more use out of it. Gaskets failed pretty much on schedule, at 103K. Not every 2.5L owner takes a bullet--many owners have gotten away with it.

What's a fair price and should they both be done at the same time? Some say they have to pull the engine, others say no.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@Hugo_Stiglitz said:
    What's a fair price and should they both be done at the same time? Some say they have to pull the engine, others say no.

I think if you're planning to keep this car, then pulling the engine is the only way to go--and if you have a manual transmission, it's a great time to re-do the clutch disk as well at no extra charge, and depending on what year you have, to do the timing belt.

As for labor, figure 12 hours, so whatever your shop charges per hour, + whatever parts and fluids you're throwing in there. I think my job was something like $1500 but that was 6 years ago.

All Subaru 2.5L engine owners! Check for cylinder head leaks anytime the car is on a lift.

• fandangofandango Member Posts: 18

My 2007 Impreza 2.5i needed a new head gaskets at 150,000 miles. Should have been a recall item.

you're lucky you got 150K out of it actually.

• calejohnsoncalejohnson Member Posts: 1

I replaced the head gaskets on my 2000 Outback 2.5 (only engine that year) and did it with the engine in the car. I wouldn't pull the engine unless there is some other pressing maintenance item, like the clutch that someone mentioned.

edited January 2014

An engine pull is recommended because you can insure a better mating surface--if the intention is to keep the car a long time, it might be worth the extra labor. There are other things you can do while the engine is out which might be beneficial as well.

Well Subaru wants 2100 to do the HG, timing belt and tensioner, no mention of the water pump and says they can have the car back to us in A WEEK. An independant Subby experienced ASE mechanic wants 1200 HG, timing belt, tensioner, and water pump as well as new valve cover gaskets, overnight service. Guess where I'm going to bring it.

That's a lot of work for overnight service---might be optimistic.

• rockmobilerockmobile Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2014

Dealership labor is usually higher than independents, but the better and most experienced independents are not cheap either.

I came across a really good and trusty mechanic, the problem is that been so good brings him a lot of customers, and hence delays. It could take three days to a week to get my car back when going for some substantial repair. Always satisfied with the work, though.

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762

@calejohnson said:
    I replaced the head gaskets on my 2000 Outback 2.5 (only engine that year) and did it with the engine in the car. I wouldn't pull the engine unless there is some other pressing maintenance item, like the clutch that someone mentioned.

Very brave of you! Considering the clearance issues alone and the limited time needed for the removal/install of the engine, I would always pull the engine. It makes the HG replacement a breeze.

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250

If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area I know a great Suburu guy.