Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Dodge Ram Problems

Comments

• Options
    dwoodard67dwoodard67 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I'm in the market for a Dodge 1500 5.2l 5 spd.. I now know what to look for when I go shopping. I've read your posts, and I appreciate your caner. One thing those of us need to keep in mind. Generally, people only voice their opinion when there's a problem. How many Dodge Rams have been sold between 1994 and today, and how many people haven't had any problems, and we never hear from them? It seems that the pining and the intake manifold gaskets are a common problem.

Anything else I need to keep my eyes peeled for?

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    njensen1njensen1 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2001 quad long bed that had the same problem with the little birds chirping from the window. I opened the doors and saw what looks like black electric tape removed the tape from both doors no more birds. the tape was right above the latch on rear doors at top. worked for me.
  • Options
    pechorinpechorin Member Posts: 4
    Just over a year ago, my father bought a brand-new 2000 Ram 1500 QC w/ the 5.9 liter V8 and automatic transmission. The truck was broken in properly, is driven conservatively, and has been stored indoors since day 1. It now has 3400 miles.

First problem: within a month of purchase, there was a strange whine/hum sound emanating from the rear of the truck during deceleration. Dealer determined that there was a problem and replaced the rear-end. Everything's okay...right? Not so. My father has noticed, lately, that the transmission seems to have problems as well...reverse won't engage properly (particularly when the engine is cold), the transmission makes a grinding sound in neutral (after coming out of reverse), and it doesn't seem to be shifting properly in drive. In recent weeks we've also noticed that there are large "buff" marks on the passenger side doors--as though somebody went a little nuts while polishing the truck (this is only really obvious in bright sunlight)--and that a"thunking" sound now comes from the firewall/transmission tunnel while the engine is idling. And, finally, while preparing to change the oil the other day, I noticed that there was oil all over the bottom of the engine and transmission...which led me to discover that the front main seal is leaking.

Now, I'm sorry, but these are problems that I wouldn't have expected from a 1959 Dodge, let alone a year 2000 model. I'm not sure what my dad is going to do about all this....but I'd like to know just what the heck is going on with these trucks. Are we going to get the latest round of problems taken care of, only to have the head gaskets blow in another thousand miles? I know that they're not ALL this screwed-up...my friend has essentially the same truck, with the addition of 4x4, and has had no problems (save the occasional pinging--which, admittedly, could be serious) in 11,000 miles of MUCH harder driving.

So...that's our Dodge experience. Anyone see any recourse here, apart from just getting things fixed and hoping nothing else goes wrong?
  • Options
    sactokensactoken Member Posts: 10
    I bought my Ram because they were selling them at dealer invoice, and well, who can pass up a good deal? Fortunately, for the first time in my life, I purchased the extended warranty.

I don't believe you should look to insurance and extended warranties for the small stuff. You get a cold, you pay for the doctor's visit . . . likewise, if your radio button falls off, put it back on or buy a new one.

But this time it paid to have the extended warranty, even though it was an outrageous price.

At 23,000 miles I needed the "whole lower end" of my engine and the torque converter, etc replaced. Took them 11 days to get the parts in and make the repair...and I don't live out in the country. Now at 48,000 miles it's starting to feel the same way again. I'm waiting for the noises to follow the feeling and then I'll take it in. Extended warranty is good til 70,000 miles.

Only this time, after I get it fixed, I'm selling it and moving on with my life.

This is a city-boy pick-up...the hardest thing it does is get a carwash with worn-out brushes. But I feel like "what's going to happen now?" Other than a few minor interior glitches, it's been an okay truck...but I can't wait until the major glitches show up again next time...when I'm outta warranty completely.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid....
  • Options
    ticker72lcticker72lc Member Posts: 1
    (2001 Dodge Ram re Cab 572 miles) I had my truck for two days, had 206 miles on it and the transmission went out leaving me stranded 84 miles from home. The dealership that it was towed to refused to put a new transmission it it and rebuild the "bad" one. Since then every time I go up a hill from a stopped position it surges repeatedly through first and second gear. My dealer cant find a problem with it. As it stands now they have put more miles on it then me. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    jotruckjotruck Member Posts: 2
    After this v10 is warm,the engine has a shudder that transmits throughout the truck.It is not real severe,but annoying enough to say a $29000 truck should not do this! Dealer checked engine on analyzer,checked mounts,front crankshaft damper.All ok. Only does this at idle.Engine has 10000 miles on it. Any ideas???
  • Options
    choptop32choptop32 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Dodge Ram with a Cummins engine and a 727 automatic transmission. I tow a 32 ft 5th wheel trailer that weights approx. 10,000 lfs. When taking off empty the converter seems quite normal, and runs through the gears very smooth. But with the trailer on the back the engine will rev up to about 2500 RPMs and just stays there until the tranny finally catches up. It feels like the converter is slipping much more than I feel it should. Once it gets through 1st and 2nd gears and the converter clutch locks up everything is fine. I was told there is an after market converter that corrects this problem, but I don't have a source. Has anyone else experienced this same problem, and does anyone know a source for this converter?
  • Options
    lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    yes there is a convertor that will help you with that problem I don't have their web sight but contact torque convertors inc. [TCI] or a parts store that sells their units and ask for a convertor that has a lock up at 1500-1700 rpm for a lot of help at the lower rpm. My brother in law did it and has has very good luck.
  • Options
    makitajimmakitajim Member Posts: 2
    My new Dodge now has 23,000 miles on it. At about 20,000 miles I started to notice that a vibration, that was minute at one point has gotten worse I rotated tires and was still there. Possible balance/tire problem?
    I also have experienced the "thunking" sound coming from beyond the firewall.
    However to top it all off is this, and this really just plain annoys me, the stock wheels on the Dodges are directional, to say that the teardrop shape has a direction. However all the wheels are identical, meaning the teardrop shape goes the proper direction on the drivers side and the wrong way on the passenger side.
    Like I said this is an annoyance only. I have checked out ford, chevy, gmc and found they put left and right side wheels on those trucks.

Anyone with the vibration problem that have taken it to the dealership please let me know how that went. Just biding my time before I go, I have other issues with them that I am sure will turn ugly, (body work was done to this supposedly new truck and is now showing up in the right light)!!!!
  • Options
    606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    Has anybody been successful in correcting the wandering steering feel when driving in a straight line? I've had the tracking bar replaced twice as well as alignment and toe adjustment with no positive results.

'98 2500 4x4
    Cummins Auto
  • Options
    jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I have a '98 1500 4x4 and never had a hint of prblems with the steering. Do you have over sized tires? I also changed out my shocks for bilsteins early on.
  • Options
    mrlevelmrlevel Member Posts: 7
    The vibration noise your getting is coming from the rear end the first time i had the problem they replaced a bearing in the rear end but i got the vibration back between 60 and 70 mph. i btook it back and as i speak the are replacing the whole carrier gear with a new one i'll let you know if it solves the problem. the other problem i was having when the truck downshifted or i let my foot off the gas there was a clunk they said it could be related to the rear end i shall see
  • Options
    mmatsonmmatson Member Posts: 4
    I have a 98 ram that a friend tells me that the rear drums are so thin i can not get them turned. this is its first brake job and it only has 31000+ miles on it. He said that dodge in order to shave some weight off the trucks made the drums thinner, can this be true? I think dodge should be rethinking that idea, that sounds like something ford would do. My friend did the brake job at a cost of 400 bucks, what are your thoughts about the cost and should I complain to dodge about what i think about their drum idea? thanks Maddog
  • Options
    My '98 just had the rears done first time at 48,000 and the drums were fine. I suspect that the drums on your truck may have worn out because the rear shoes need to be manually adjusted every oil change or they go way out of adjustment and will wear on one side only until you are metal on metal. That will do the drums in. The rear shoes have self adjusters on them that do not work well if at all.
  • Options
    l_keeganl_keegan Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram ext.cab S/B 4x4 w/5.9 engine, 4-speed auto. with 7700 miles. I have noticed that the torque converter locks-up shortly after reaching 3rd gear causing the engine to lug a little. My question is this. Is there a service bulletin or a re program of the computer that will delay the lock-up to get full use of third gear and the engine torque before lock-up occurs?
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    MM

I would really be reconsidering whether the person that charged me 400 bucks for a brake job can be called a friend!

JC

I have adjusted the rear drums on several GM products years ago. Do I need any special tools to do this myself and are there any specific problems I should be looking for. Plan on changing my "erl" this weekend and the brakes have never been adjusted. Might give it a shot.

Thanks
  • Options
    I used to do all that stuff myself. I got too busy and my time has been better spent letting the mechanics do it. When I bought my truck, they gave me fair warning about the adjusters. I have since checked and found that they were right. Anyhow, I don't know, but I think all you need is one of those brake adjustyers that look like a miniature pry bar. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
  • Options
    rm94rm94 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 HD2500 long box with the 5.8L gas engine 2 wheel drive 4.10 limited slip with 90,000 miles. It has been a great truck. Other than general maintainance only new parts are battery, shocks, and brakes.

I have had a noise/whine in the drive line which is slowly getting worse. I do not feel a vibration. I only get the whine with moderate torque on the drive line. If I take my foot off of the gas or accelerate hard, the whine stops. The whine is also louder between 40-60 MPH. At 70-75 it is there but very soft compared to 60. At 10,000 miles I put synthetic gear lube in the rear axle which was changed again at 60,000. When I tow a boat/trailer (6,000 lbs) the whine is softer. Can anyone tell me does this sound like the trans, differential, carrier bearing on the drive shaft, or something else? I can not tell exactly where it is coming from.
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    if it only makes the whine when you are on the gas it is prbably a bearing going out either a wheel or carrier.I would check them first.If it is the differential it normally makes the sound all the time.
  • Options
    l_keeganl_keegan Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with 8100 miles. Today while having my tires rotated the mechanic noted lots of grease on the left rear brake backing plate. I believe I have a bad axle seal. I don't think it is a wheel cylinder as the master cylinder is still full. My question is this. Is this a common problem or an isolated problem. I see so much going on this forum about Dodge Trucks I wondered if anyone out there has had a similar problem.. Needless to say the dealer is getting it tomorrow for repairs.
  • Options
    kirby10kirby10 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Dodge 3500 extended cab with the Cummins. I can't take my eyes off the road for 3 seconds without this monster wandering all over the road. My alignment shop told me that the front end is in perfect alignment, the problem is in the steering box. I took it to the dealership and they said it was within specs! Easy out for them! Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to remedy it? Sorry if this has been covered previously. Thanks, Kirby
  • Options
    If you know that the steering box is the culprit, replace it. Otherwise I'd check/replace the shocks and steering damper.
  • Options
    fuzz4fuzz4 Member Posts: 3
    My 99 had to have the cop. re programmed it was doing the same thing with locking the tarns in and out of gear.
  • Options
    badrammanbadramman Member Posts: 61
    Girlfriend's 2001 1500 4x4 318

Here's what she's had a problem with so far:
    When you start the truck for the first time each day, it doesn't matter how warm it is outside. It doesn't want to idle correctly. It's a little reluctent to kick up to high idle at all. If you stand outside of the truck when she starts it you can here it missing and struggling to keep running. Funny thing though it hasn't set a code off. She has tried running a different brand of gas but it won't go away. It also does it occasionally at a red light. It's rather anoying

Any Suggestions??
  • Options
    sjg2sjg2 Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same problem with a 2001 quad cab. It is in the shop right now for the third time. So far they have told me there is nothing wrong with it and that is the way magnum engines start. I have two friends with the same truck and theirs start up just fine. hopefully they will look deeper into the problem than just reading the codes because they show nothing wrong with the truck.
  • Options
    tkenny53tkenny53 Member Posts: 41
    Throttle body is dirty, this will cause the engine not to idle. in a pinch put a cigerette but between the throttle stop and the adj screw. this will allow it to idle, this happen to my voyager every so often.
  • Options
    stu_daddystu_daddy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 84 Dodge D50 Ram Pickup, 110,000 miles that recently started idles and rough at startup. Once warmed up, it runs fine. It has a mitsubishi 2.6 4 cyl engine. The Dodge shops around here won't touch anything that old. The mitsubishi shop wanted $1495 to replace the carburetor. Since it runs fine except at startup, I can't believe that the carburetor is shot. The choke isn't sticking and seems to be working just fine. Any recommendations on what could be causing this problem? Possibly related a vacuum sensor?
  • Options
    jeff1690jeff1690 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Dodge two months ago and it has been back at the dealers 4 times and is going back again. To date, the dealer has installed new rear leaf springs, drive shaft input seal, quad door latch, steering box, and 2 steering shafts.

The trucks biggest problem is a thunking noise coming from what seems is the steering shaft. I can feel the vibration when I am driving and place my hand on the steering column. If anyone has experienced this problem with their Dodge, I would like some insight on what is really going on. The dealer will probably replace the steering shaft for the 3rd time.

ALSO, I would appreciate some insight on purchasing an extended warranty from who and how much is too much.

Thanks. Jeff
  • Options
    ginokginok Member Posts: 1
    Jeff,

I have the same problem except the dealer is telling me they can't feel anything.

You have described my symptom to a tee.

Curious?

At first I thought it was my imagination because I would be driving home from work and would feel the thump. The next morning I would not.

Living in New England, the temperature can be cold in the morning and much hotter in the afternoon. Over time I have figured out it is much more noticible in hotter temps.

Oh well, if summer ever gets here.... I will bring it back to the dealer.

Any update on yours would be appreciated!

BTW, My problem started when the Trans. linkage was replaced due to clanking noise (only warm in park). There is a service bulletin on this! I have still had the problem two times with the new linkage.
  • Options
    jeff1690jeff1690 Member Posts: 2
    Mark,

I went back to the dealer today and to their amazement, the clunking noise could still be heard coming from somewhere in the steering assembly. The noise could be barely heard outside of the cab, so while I sat in the cab listening to the clunking, the technition grabbed the steering shaft and the noise stopped. Amazing!! I suggested to him that since this was the second steering shaft and the steering box was already replaced, perhaps there was a problem in the steering column or it's related parts. He agreed and went ahead and ordered the replacement parts.

By the way, I also live in a cold climate area and the clunking noise is less noticeable when the truck is cold. You may have the same problem.

Oh yeah, the technition noticed a clicking noise coming from the serpantean belt tensioner. Yet another part being replaced!! I will be getting an extended warranty plan. If I had to pay for everything already done on this truck, the bill would have been around $1800 - $2000.
  • Options
    after 4 days at the dealer without being able to fix the problem they finally found out from a Dodge super tech that there is a problem with the 2001 5.2 engines with manual transmissions only. Dodge apparently has a fix (new flash software) but they cannot reprogram it it until mid July because of federal regulations dealing with emmisions. there apparently is a 90 day waiting period and it was submitted in the middle of April.
  • Options
    My '96 with the 360 engine has been clicking away for over a year now. It sounds like [non-permissible content removed] but I can't bring myself to give a dealer the $$$ for the part. I'm actually waiting until it flies apart before I do anything with it!
    I'm getting tired of putting money into my truck. It only has 75,000 miles(not alot for this day-in-age) and I bought it used a year ago. I've already put $2,000 into it just to keep it on the road.

Regarding my last post about the rough idle on my girlfriend's truck: It goes in the shop tomorrow. And it's getting worse. It now stalls if you don't keep your foot on the gas, yes it's the 5.2 w/5-speed. We are not waiting until July to get it fixed. I doubt it'll even be running until then!!

OH the wonderful world of DC products
  • Options
    We got my girlfriend's truck back today.

They re-programed the computer with the new flash software. It drives awesome!

They had the truck for three days. And because the idling problem was intermittent, they couldn't find the problem. So I asked about this new program. The mechanic said he didn't know anything about it but would check for us. Turns out DC gave him the new parameters and he took care of it. If anyone else has this problem make sure to ask the mechanic about the computer.

Thanks sjg2
  • Options
    warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    My '01 2500 Cummins has had the power steering and power brakes fail to work twice when I started the truck in the morning. After several minutes they start working. The dealer said it was probably the hydraulic pump and offered to order one. I told them the next time it fails I'll call and they can order one for me then. Has anyone else seen this problem? My truck has 12,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    henson5henson5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Dodge I/diesel, that wanders all over the road. It requires all of my time herding it along. I have owned and driven many trucks in the last 50 years, but this is about the worst yet. I discussed it with the dealer's service department,and they suggested lowering the air pressure in the front tires to 45psi. This is no help. Other than that, I was told that this is just the nature of the truck. I can not believe this. I love the truck, and all I ask for is make it drive as it should. NEED ADVICE
  • Options
    garamgaram Member Posts: 1
    Help! The driver's side carpet of my 96 Dodge 1500 pickup is constantly wet.
    I can't tell where the water is coming from. Carpet gets wet when pickup is just sitting
    in the driveway (yes, the windows are up). I'm on the verge of tearing out the interior
    to find the leak.
  • Options
    jswails2000jswails2000 Member Posts: 1
    I am glad you got the IDLE issue corrected. I was going to write you tonight and suggest you check the computer but I see you already caught the problem. I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota and they actually had a service scheduled for me to come in and get the computer corrected. I had the truck only two weeks and hadn't even noticed the problem before they called and asked me to bring it in. So, if anyone sees "Idle Issues" with their truck... any new Dodge truck, bring it in for servicing. It is a free fix.
  • Options
    It is not the nature of the beast. My Ram tracks straight effortlessly. Try another dealer or a front end shop.
  • Options
    I was hoping the fix would work.I am going to call my dealer and tell them to fix me up now. sounds like alot of crap making me wait till July if you can get it before hand. I am glad you posted back.
  • Options
    606zp606zp Member Posts: 57
    I have the same problem on a my '98. Evey time I take it in they put a new tracking bar on it. 3 so far and it has not helped.
  • Options
    googs3googs3 Member Posts: 2
    at less than 100 miles on it the truck occasionally would stall on start up when you placed transmission in DRive. It would not engage transmission as it should but would stall out when accelerator applied. does this when warm only. also randomly is slow to engage in drive,like its low on fluid but it is not. Both problems still randomly occur. Has 5000 miles now and on second converter and recently had major overhaul. Plus the transmission can really clunk,also randomly. HELP.
  • Options
    warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    You don't say if your truck is a 4x4 or 4x2, and there is a great difference in the front end of the two. My '01 Quad 2500 diesel is a 4x2 and it tracks true. I did have the dealer rotate my tires once and that made it pull right. They put them back where the were and it's good again.
    I've seen other posts where the front end was out of whack and moving the tires around fixed it. Sounds like a fairly common problem with Mopar.
  • Options
    davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    If you move your tires around and tracking problems are fixed, your tires are out of whack, not the front end!!!
  • Options
    jwg_aggie03jwg_aggie03 Member Posts: 6
  • Options
    jwg_aggie03jwg_aggie03 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 4x4 Quad Cab with 42K miles on the Diesel Motor. I have had problems with the truck for a long time, and what really makes me mad is that dodge won't stand by their product and fix it. Around 25K miles you couldn't turn the wheels if it the truck was at a stand still. Dodge replaced everything but the steering wheel and still didn't fix it, so they blamed the problem on my one size bigger than stock tires and washed their hands of it. Then here about a month ago after I got done driving my truck you could smell the odor of hot brakes, and I started to notice that the truck would start dive forward more and more, so I came to the conclusion that the rear brakes were messed up, but dodge says that there is nothing wrong with them. Then the other day I noticed that their was some serious grinding going on in the front rotors, so I took it in again and they said that their was nothing wrong with it again, and that they couldn't hear the noise. The noise is so loud you can hear it over the motor with the windows down while you are driving. My first set of pads lasted 30K miles and my second only lasted 12K, and dodge persists that their is nothing wrong. When I was fixing to leave the dealer the head mechanic told me to turn the radio up and drive the truck. Isn't that a bunch of crap, I don't know what else to say but DON'T BUY A DODGE. Thought I'd just add my life story with this P.O.S. to this problem list.
  • Options
    Go to a different dealer. That one doesn't care for your business. The rear brakes need to be adjusted out at every oiul change or they become non-functional. The self adusters do not work. That puts all the load on the fronts. It sounds like that is what has happened in your case.
  • Options
    moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    I feel like the odd man out here my 2001 Ram so far has been great,just like my '96 and my '92 before it.
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    no tou are not the only one with a flawless ram I have not had any problems with my 01 ram either.
  • Options
    kritterkritter Member Posts: 3
    My boyfriend owns a 96 ram 2500 extended cab, he also suffered from a wet carpet. He replaced the carpet, but it was still getting wet. He finally found the problem, the water is coming in through the top rigt and left hand corners of the rear sliding window. Where the top black moulding above the cab meets the rear window. GOOD LUCK.
  • Options
    Somewhere in the previous posts there was one about the clicking problem. Mine has done it for over a year now and I finally got tired of it and replaced it. Here's how:

DO NOT GO TO A DEALER FOR THIS PART OR YOU'LL PAY OUT THE [non-permissible content removed]!! Go to an auto parts store (Auto Zone=$80) and order one. It is the entire assembly. It took me about 1/2 hour to replace it with simple hand tools. I started the truck and now it's sooo quiet. It's easier than doing an oil change