Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jaguar XJ-Series

Comments

• Options
    97vdpguy97vdpguy Member Posts: 111
    I checked out the pix at http://www.thecarconnection.com. I wasn't that impressed.

If I wanted a car that looked like a cross between a MB and a BMW, I would have bought one of those.

I'll take the classic XJ front-end any day...

• Options
    shehzadshehzad Member Posts: 52
    I just saw it too. It looks too much like the S-type. That's one of my complaints about Mercedes and BMW. Too much familial resemblence-- an Sclass looks just like a Cclass. A 7 series looks like a 5 series. For me, one of the nice things about jags is (or was) that each design was its own entity. Right now, there's no way one would mistake an Stype for an XJ, and to a certain degree that helps not only with brand identification, but on perception of the model line. The s-type is probably aimed for somewhat younger buyers, and as such has more free flowing angles and whatnot on it, while the XJ has more of a presence and elegance, as one (or me at least) might expect for a couple of thousand more than an s-type. I've always appreciated how Jaguar has not tried to be everything to everyone (maybe b/c of a lack of money b/f ford) and more individualistic, but I guess that corporate concerns decry that brand image is strongly linked to models being linked as well. But then again, the new X-type looks like a mini XJ8, so what do I know.

97vdpguy--I'm sorry it took me so long to give you the name of my mechanic. It's Eurasian Service Center on Tyco road (If you take a left out of rosenthal, cross route 7, and take a left on tyco, it's on your left side) 7038933045--they service all my cars, and give a 12month/12k warranty on any work. For many services (usually the big or more expensive ones) they wash the car and vacuum it also. Ask for Chris. They're really excellent, and my best endorsement is probably that I take all my cars (except one-guess which?) to them.
  • Options
    arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I don't think those spy photos make it look like an S-Type at all. Maybe a little at the front because of the semi-larger outside light(s), but it still looks like an XJ to me, just a bit more rounded and updated. The real photo I really like, because it retains the classic headlights, with a body shape that isn't an S-Type or X-Type. It may not be the same as the current XJ, but they have to change something. It definately looks british to me, and I can't wait to see more photos.~ A.R.
  • Options
    I thought the spy photo just had round holes in the mask over the front-end to make it look like today's XJ's. If you look closely, I think you can see the sloped light housing underneath. Or maybe it's just me.. I'm sure we'll see more pix soon. I think this model will have HID headlights too. Though I don't remember where I read that.

Shehzad - thanks for the pointer to the mechanic! They're very close to where I work, so that'll be nice when I need to use them. I'll look Chris up.
  • Options
    pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    I second the opinion of thse who say the XJ spyshot shows a stretched S-Type, It lacks imagination to me. I am sure it'll be a great car and all, but it seems it will have far less character and personality than today's XJ8, which I think a class act. The most stylish sedan out there. Quirky in some respects, but personally, that is how I like it. I hope that they don't smooth all the personality out...
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,472
    More than the appearance of the new XJ, I am concerned about the persona. I have driven a couple of S-types, and while they are nice enough cars, that is the point. They are nice enough cars, but a definite step away from traditional 'Jaguarness' and toward 'generic near-luxury car'. I also saw, or rather felt, a definite move toward corporate parts-bin shopping in some of the controls. I would really hate to see that happen to the XJ. It is such a lovely Jaguar in its present form.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    netranger4netranger4 Member Posts: 149
    In the past, Jaguar tried creating new styling on the XJ models and the attempts failed. When they went to digital instruments, the buyers balked...they went back to analog instruments. When the hood/fender contours changed, the buyers balked again..back they went. A lens covering the headlights..balked by the buyers..back they went. If Ford thinks that this new styling will appeal to the traditional Jaguar buyer...wrong! Longtime Jaguar owners do not like radical change. Let's see who wins out, the stylists or the pocketbooks.
  • Options
    I think Jaguar is special because it's always had a narrower focus, it has also been less compromising. It does not try to be a lot of things to a lot of people, but rather tries to be perfect to an enthusiast group... and these people like some character traits that others might perceive as impracticalities.

The XJ8 is beautiful because it is classic, it bows to legacy. I see people that get out of the backseat of my XJR saying it is suprisingly tight back there, but they have a huge grin on their faces and grin. And remark on the class of the car. It simply is *different*, and tha is what is so refreshing about it, despite the ageing platform. To me, other cars in its class feel "older" despite the fact they are far more modern designs, simply because they make too many compromises to total practicality, and very few to passion.

I hope Jaguar does not stray too far away from that...
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    As you guys may remember... I used to work for a Jag dealer. I know several factory/Jaguar NA people...etc...

That "rendering" is pretty far off-base is all they would say. And those are the same people who admitted that the Spy Shot of the S-Type in Autocar and Motor (This was in 98 IIRC) was "dead-on... it's really got us shaken up"

Bill
  • Options
    Well, I am sure they will go for a more spacious and bulbous look, bowing to "practicality". It's what the market and press seem to want, for some reason.

I parked my XJR next to an LS430 today, both in the same color. Walking away, I was *amazed* by how *much* larger the LS looked. The Jag looked thinner, lighter. More graceful, for sure. The more "practical" interior space comes with a price I would not want to pay - if I want space and bulbous looks, I'd get a luxo-SUV.

I am fairly convinced that the new XJ8 will mark the end of an era in Jaguar authenticity. For example, quirky as it was, I will always like the XJS better than its successor, the XK8. The latter is a beautiful car, but it is far more difficult to immediately spot as a Jaguar. I am pretty convinced I'll feel the same way about the new XJ8. And it's not because I'm some nostalgic, conservative person that doesn't take to change easily... I just think sedans are bowing way too much to ultimate practicality, and becoming undistinguishable.

The XJR was the *only* choice that really appealed to me when considering luxury sedans. But if I'd been in the market for an S-class, the differentiation with the BMW 5-series and the Merc E-class would be far narrower, and quite possibly I'd go for the Beemer in that class. I do not think the S-type represents a genuinely different Jaguar preposition.
  • Options
    I agree that the current XJR is the most beautiful of the super sedan trio (M5, E55, XJR). Hell, it is the most beautiful sedan out there today. The mesh grill and 18' rims also contribute, but the design is pure brilliance.

I too think that the next XJ will be more mainstream, but I don't think that is a bad thing. Not that this is a fair comparison at all, but I think that the 2001 Olds Aurora's are much better looking that the originals. They went more mainstream, but in my eyes, it looks considerably better. Let's hope that Jaguar can please the masses as well as the diehards~ A.R.
  • Options
    ".. Let's hope that Jaguar can please the masses as well as the diehards .."

If they pull it off, it'll be a classic. But while I do like the S-class and the XK8, they are more mainstream designs.

I know I'm gonna keep the XJR for a *long* while. And I thought I would never get to like a 4-door car. This was my first sedan, and I did not buy it out of a family need to seat more people. I simply loved the design, interior and subdued attitude.
  • Options
    To buy the XJR for a family car would be stupid, as the back seat cannot fit anyone but little kids. It is more suited to bag a golf clubs- plus they won't ruin the leather!

If I had an XJR, I would keep it forever, and drive it only as my summer car. It is a classic, and will become an even more exclusive vehicle in the future.~ A.R.
  • Options
    rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    How does the XJS look more Jag than the XK8? The only car in the Jaguar lineup That resembles an XJS is the 88-94 XJ6's. It's not an ugly car, mind you, but not as beautifully styled as some other Jaguars. Look at the XJS, and XK8, and then at the XKE, C-Type, D-Type, ect, and see which one looks the most Jaguar.
  • Options
    ".. XJR .. the back seat cannot fit anyone but little kids .."

That is an overstatement. I have spent 2 hours in the backseat, I am 6'1, and while certainly the backseat is not spacious (especially head room) you can still make yourself quite comfortable. You just can't sit straight up if you're over 6 ft. You kind of slide forward somewhat. Of course, competitors offer far more room back there, but it does come at a price. You are sure you're not confusing it with the XK coupe/convertible series, arcoates?

rea98d: well, taste is entriely personal. When the XK8 came out, and everybody was raving, I considered getting one, but pardon my blasphemy: it looks a bit Camaro-ish to me. The XJS pulls up, and from miles you know it's a Jag GT. It's not quite the case with the XK8. Very nice, but less distinguishable.
  • Options
    Well I consider the back seat to be too small for adults over long journeys. The seating position is also quite low, so you get a back ache as well. It is supposed to be a full sized sedan, yet it has as much room as BMW 3-series? The S-Type has more room. Where is the logic there?~ A.R.
  • Options
    When I purchased my new XJ6 in '75. They had a large poster of a pre-teen child, dressed in knee pants and blazer complete with cap, looking through a Jaguar showroom window at an XJ Sedan.This poster was displayed in my dealer's display area. The caption at the bottom said it all in three words "Pace, Space, Grace". Let's hope it stays that way.
  • Options
    "It looks a bit Camaroish to me"

Hey, if Chevy's gonna knock off someone else's styling, why not the best?
  • Options
    Obviously, it compromises function for form when it comes to the rear accommodations. No logic there, and it's perfectly fine with me - more room would result in a more bulbous look. I agree it's tight back there. But it's still very nice, and people that sit there -for no longer than an hour :) have a grin on their face when they get out. Many friends constantly *insist* I do the driving and love to sit in the back, and they're not midgets.
  • Options
    I can agree with the posting from Pablo. The most frequent comment heard in my car was.."this seat feels like it was made for me" I drove my car to California from the Midwest 12 times over its' 23 years of service and my own impression was that after a long day behind the wheel I was no more tired at the end of the day than I was when I started. The Series II cars were much maligned but seating and comfort was not one of the complaints.
  • Options
    Hmmm....

Just a thought.... Why don't ya get another Jag?

Late XJ40s have gotten super cheap, and are wonderful cars. And early X300s are also getting cheapish... It's a thought!

Bill
  • Options
    I think the reason people get out of a Jag and smile is because they have had the privilege to ride in a Jaguar. They wouldn't care if there was no seat back there, they would still want to ride in a Jaguar. I don't know another company that has that status.~ A.R.
  • Options
    christchurchchristchurch Member Posts: 125
    Since coming back on line after a few days I had the privilege of reading in one sitting all of these recent messages regarding the styling of Jaguars new and old. It was a most interesting exchange.

I would concur with you that there needs to be a concerted effort by the design team at Coventry not to "join the ranks" of "copycat" styling. So many of the great marquees today are look alikes, almost indistinguishable at least to the undiscerning eye.

Jaguar XJ's, on the other hand, exhibit a most unique demeanor.

Jags appeal to me because they are sensuous. They "cast a spell". Long, low, voluptuous styling sets this "cat" aside from all of the other aggressive, bold, bullish, boorish "hunks of clay" which characterize much of today's "styling".

Thus, I hope the message from so many of us to the "powers that be" is, keep them "British", unique, plush, luxurious.... a pleasure to behold, a pleasure to own, a pleasure to drive and a pleasure to experience with the senses.

May the "cats" defend their litter !
    christchurch
  • Options
    queenie617queenie617 Member Posts: 4
    I read with great interest on car sites the discussions of Jaguars in comparison to other cars. Let's face it- the comparisons are, to me, as apples to oranges.

The XJ and XK models are unique. The style and ride are all their own...to me they are "Jaguars". When I went looking for a new car, I tested a new XJ8, and S-type, Mercedes E320, BMW 528 and 540, and Lexus ES300. All are great cars but I realized what I loved was the timeless design, ride and the handling of the XJ's. Pure personal taste, that's it.

The S-type is a nice car but the side body lines are pure Ford Taurus and the handling and ride were designed to compete with "European", read "German" meaning "tighter" handling---this was confirmed by the salesman. Did I like it? Nope. To me it was not a Jaguar. But in the Chicago area, they are selling well since the new car price enables people to get a "Jaguar" when a new XJ or XK is over the top for many buyers. I think the S-type looks like a puffed up Taurus trying to masquerade as a Bentley or Rolls.

Let's face it. Ford Motor Company is out to expand Jaguar sales and make money. The S-type and the X-type baby Jag will get the car buying public into Jaguars, and isn't that what it's all about?
  • Options
    Ford sunk a considerable amount of cash into purchasing Jaguar, and now they have to recoop that investment, and the S and X Types are the way to do it. FWIW, they could make those two "bread and butter" models a bit more Jaguar, but then I can't complain too much because when Ford bought the company, many people were afraid the XJ6 would become nothing more than a Continental with a leaping kitty on the hood. I think they're striking a good balance between keeping it Jaguar, and turning a decent profit with the company. And if nothing else, think of what Jaguar would be like if they had remained an independent company. Ford has done wonders turning that company around. Even the best need help.
  • Options
    The aquistion by Ford of the Jaguar works was a "god send". Ford with its enormous financial leverage was able to infuse the company with badly need cash and exercise their financial clout over suppliers at just the right time. They did us a great service in that they secured Jaguar's future.

Secondly, Ford brought engineering expertise and overturned, therewith, the ever problematic side of Jag (particularly the quirky Lucas electrical circutry.

It is hoped that Ford will understand that they can do much that is and will be positive for Jaguar. But, they must be careful to
    "LET JAGUAR BE JAGUAR" !
    This is to say that Jaguar cars must continue to drive, feel and look like Jaguars ... classic, elegant, uniquely and conservatvly British.

Here is hopeing that they get the message, that we don't want a recycled Lincoln with a "face lift".

Here's a a toast to preserving "the real Cats"!
    christchurch
  • Options
    Anyone run across any "clear" pictures of the new XJ or commentary. I know that the auto spies are out there. I know, too, that there have been some shrouded pictures which some of you have already mentioned. But, I would like to see "the real thing".

I have read that the new XJ will be a technological wonder, notwithstanding styling caveats as I mentioned above.
    Ford is committed to making the Jag take a "cats bite" out of Benz / BMW.
    Sounds like the "jungle" will be quite a fruocious place once the "cat" gets released.

Keep in touch.
    christchurch
  • Options
    WHo can guess what this is?

It's my new toy (For you anglophiles). A 1960 Vauxhall PA-Series Velox.

Just got it into Orlando tonight. Bought it up in Sarnia, ONT and drove it back!

Bill
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You drove a 1960 Vauxhall from Ontario to Orlando, Fla, and got there? I am impressed! I told you already about my father's Vauxhall of around that same vintage that left its transmission on the highway - it was maybe two years old at the time, at most! :-)

Actually, I don't know what he had, but knowing my family's financial state at the time, it was surely a bottom of the line stripper, so I'm sure a "PA-Series Velox" would be insulted to be spoken of in the same breath as that one! Forgive me, please... :-) And congrats! - Where's the rest of it?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    Pat: Well, it did the drive without a hitch! Maybe your dad had a Victor? It was one of thesmaller ones, and the Veloxes and Crestas (Crestas are fancy Veloxes) were only sold in Canada. But the Victors were sold here in the US between oh... 57 or 58 and '60. They were smaller and have a 4-cyl engine.

I had it at the weekly antique car show in Kissimmee, FL last night... quite a few British tourists saw it and loved it! :)

Here's some better shots:

If ya ever make it down to Orlando, you'll have to take it for a ride!

Bill
  • Options
    Wow! That's really beautiful, Bill.

I got to thinking after I posted last night - isn't it Vauxhaul vs the way I spelled it?

I'll bet he did have a Victor - I'm sure it was a four-cylinder - I'll have to ask him if he remembers. I remember the color - puke-puke-puke green was the polite way to describe it.

Pat
    Host
  • Options
    All this talk about Vauxhalls reminds me that I havn't seen one in years.
    Outside of Jaguar, the only British car I had much aquaitance with was the MGB my roommate in graduate school had. I remember the day we picked it up (new). It was a fun to drive but we learned quickly how qurikey it was. On that first day the "luster" was marred by a rain which began. We had to jump out and put up the manual top. Then we looked for the windshield wipers, found the switch, turned it to on and nothing happened. We were forced to drive back to the college straining to see through the rain pelting against the windshield. If that was not enough of an indignity, we also got soaked by water dripping on our shoulders from the less than water tight window/roof contacts.
    Only later did we discover that in order to operate the windshield wipers one had only to "pull out the ash tray"!
    Oh, the wonders of British / Lucas electrical systems!
    Incidently, the water always dripped on us all the days of our graduate school. I guess we accepted all of this as "the price we paid in those days to own and drive a roadster"! And, To my knowledge these qurikey electrical problems persisted until the then old MG "went to its reward" !

Inspite of it all, throughout our college days, we had a lot of fond memories with "our old friend MG".

"Of course, Jaguars had none of these quirkes, did they" !

Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

christchurch
  • Options
    Just a quick note to again see if anyone has run across "spy" pictures ..... good ones.... which show the new XJ, as per my posting at #128.

Further, is anyone reading anything about the new XJ in auto publications? If so, which ones?

christchurch
  • Options
    I have been noticing that Jaguar is really promoting the S series cars. They are doing so, particularly, in lease promotions.
    I have noticed ads to this effect appearing in the northeast and in Florida. They all seem to be Jaguar factory supported (as per fine print).

I wonder with the advent of the I series if the S series isn't too pricy for what it is. It appears, for example, that for 5K to 8K more you can "step up" to and XJ series. So, who would want a smaller I series when you can get an XJ for "not much more" ? Fully equipped the price gap seems too small.

I have always questioned this S series pricing. It seem to me they should have brought that car in around 40K fully equipped, not at 50K+. They would sell a lot more particularly when the X series hits the show rooms. I suspect those who wish to enter the "Jag life" will opt for the X leaving the S series in an awkward position, price wise and size wise. That is, I suspect people will buy low price, small car (X series) or higher price, large car (XJ series). Where then is the market for a high price, small car S series ?

Ford priced the Lincoln LS just right and it appears that the Lincoln LS is doing quiet well priced in the mid to upper 30's, fully equipt. This car seems priced right so as to not be competitive with either the Town Car or the Continental.

It seems to me Jaguar needs to do the same. The LS Lincoln is priced and therefore positioned where the Jag S series belongs (The LS and the S series are built on the same platform and the same sized car). An S series in this price range would be a volume hit.
    Now is the time for Jaguar to look at their pricing.

Any thoughts to pass along to Coventry?
    Christchurch
  • Options
    I think that maybe the S and X types are going after a "younger" market. They certainly load the space-age gadgets into those models. Being only 42 myself, I was pretty jealous of the GPS and voice-activated systems of the S-type. I personally found the car too "puffy" looking. I'd seen several on the road, and I couldn't tell it was a Jag until I passed it and saw the leaper on the hood.

With all the bells and whistles, the S-type (new) was as you say, pretty close in price to the XJ.

In the end, I opted for a used VDP. I have always wanted to drive a Jaguar, and the sleek XJ body is the kind I always had in mind. I'm partial to the XJS's shape too, but I didn't want a car that was too old. I wasn't that impressed with the monochrome navigation display built into the radio on the '01 XJ line. Plus, I was blown away to discover that for the same price of as a new SUV (I was replacing my Jeep Grand Cherokee), I could afford a Jaguar.

I suppose that maybe in a year or two, we'll start seeing the X-type's console w/video screen being installed into the XJ line. Now, for me, THAT would be cool. But it appears that by that time, the XJ will start taking on different style lines. Used Jags aren't so bad. Most people maintain them beautifully and service them regularly. I have no qualms about driving older models. Eventually, everything new becomes used, and when they do, they become quite the bargain!
  • Options
    jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    If you recall the S-type's introduction, christchurch, the marketers were at great pains to make sure that no one confused the (lesser) Lincoln with the (superior) Jag, and my guess is that initial pricing was driven more by that sort of perception than by a comparison with the XJ. In addition, my guess is that the XJ market is generalized as somewhat older and more in the direction of luxury while the S market is thought of as relatively younger and more interested in performance, or at least in the appearance of performance. (BTW, I realize this may not have much to do with reality, but it's a guess as to why they initially made the 'error' of over-pricing the S.)

For me, although I'd long anticipated the release of the S, I decided not to buy when I finally saw it, sat in it, and drove it ... and saw that although it was a well-designed car there was nothing special about it, other than the fact that it was built by a company that still called itself Jaguar. Even now when I see the front end approaching, it promises to be something special, but as it passes the promise isn't really kept. Nothing wrong. Just nothing special, and sort of antiseptic. I'm very much hoping that the urge to penetrate new markets with cars like the S and the X doesn't eliminate all of the life from the marque. I'm not as concerned with what they do down-market as with what they do for the XJ (or its replacement).

It's the kind of vitality that could be easily lost in the effort to be "efficient" and "cost effective." It could, in fact, already be gone -- for as much as we know -- since we're so far downstream that we only see the results and have no way to measure Jaguar except by the new models we see.

The S and X are a worry, but they may yet prove to be meaningless -- machinery that trades on a tradition rather than meaning to sustain it. I hope they still want to make a difference.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    The S though is a larger car interior wise than the XJ. What is with that?~ A.R.
  • Options
    Hi - I am PR Director for Edmunds.com and often am approached by journalists looking to talk with consumers for various automotive stories. Currently, I'm helping a major newspaper find consumers who are experiencing "gadget backlash." Did you buy a vehicle filled with exciting techno-gadgets, and wish you didn't? Have you given up trying to play a CD, set the ambient temperature or use the navigation system because the controls are just too complicated? Did you drive off the lot in your new vehicle without getting a full explanation of all the toys, figuring "how hard could it be?" and are now realizing it's more confusing than you could have imagined? What experiences have you had with the Mercedes joystick and the Volvo radio, both of which feature a lot of functionality but seem less intuitive than traditional controls?
    This story will touch on the following trends:

-the gadgets in high-end vehicles from the Lexus LS 430 and Volvo S80 to Porsches and beyond

-drivers in their 40s-60s buying sports cars

-driver distraction

If you have anything to add, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your experience to Talk to the Press and/or to jfallon@edmunds.com, including your current vehicle, daytime phone number and city and state of residence. (Your identity will be protected at your request.)

Thanks for your consideration of this opportunity to share your story!

Regards,

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

jfallon@edmunds.com
  • Options
    Hi Joe - nice to see you here.

Pat
    Host
  • Options
    That's the same thing I say every morning, Pat! Hope all is well for you good folk in Edmund's land.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    mahivdpmahivdp Member Posts: 3
    I read with great interest all the messages posted. I have always loved Jags but have been afraid to buy because of past reliablity concerns. I did extensive research last year on the net and decided on Q45 Infinity. Went to the Jag/Ifinity dealer but alas they didn't have any new ones, but in she showroom was a used 2000 VDP with 7000 mi. Didn't even consider Jaguar. I instantly fell in love with this Platinum Beauty. I got a great deal with Jag's extended warranty thrown in. I've had it since last August and the smile I get every time I look at it or drive it cannot be wiped off my face.

I traded a 95 Eldarado ETC I owned since new with 85k on it. I had nothing but trouble with it, mainly with the engine which was replaced at 30k because of oil consumption. It was towed back to the dealer 4 times. The AC replaced 3 times, the headliner fell down in the back plus several other electronic modules that failed. So much for Americas best.

I have put 6000 mi on the Cat since purchased. I have nothing but praise. I drove to the Fla Keys last Oct., 1270 mi. I drove 12 hrs the first day and only stopped for the night because my beloved of 44 yrs insisted. By the way, thats how I stayed married for 44 yrs. Ha Ha. I got out of the Cat feeling like I just started the day. Cruising down I95 at speed up to 95 was a pure joy. She just sits down and gobbles highway. She's super quiet. No wind noise, super sound sys, superb handeling. I averaged 23mpg. Around town I get 16. Not bad for a cat so agile. I love beating a MB out of the toll booths.

The caddy is childs play compared to the Jag. The Etc. handeled very well and I was actually happy with it while I owned it, but THIS CAT handles as well, if not better without feeling every crack in the road.

The ride back to Jersey last week was the same. I loved it.

I test drove all the luxo cars, and there's nothing like a Jaguar. Everyone admires it, even a few MB owners had to stop and ask questions.

I love forever!
  • Options
    Hi from Edmunds.com's PR Department.

A journalist from one of the country's largest newspapers has asked us for help finding consumers who recently purchased a Lexus L430, Mercedes C class or BMW 3 series after considering a more expensive vehicle, or anyone who recently considered purchasing a luxury vehicle, but decided not to because of the economy.

If you fit this description and care to share your story, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com and/or rpopely@tribune.com with your e-mail, phone number, city and state of residence, and a brief description of your experience. The journalist promises to keep you identity hidden at your request.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Jeannine Fallon

Director of Public Relations

PLEASE NOTE: Respond by clicking on the email addresses above. Responses posted here will NOT be seen by the folks who want to hear from you. Thanks!

Pat
    Host
  • Options
    queenie617queenie617 Member Posts: 4
    This is probably an odd comment but for all you Jaguar lovers, I have noticed something on this car (a '98 XJ8) that I have never experienced with any other automobile. I am curious if it unique to Jaguar or perhaps I am just inexperienced with larger luxury cars.

When I travel at very high speeds (65+ miles per hour) and then have to slow down, I feel the sensation of slowing down, of course, but the car still feels as if it's moving very fast. For example, when exiting an expressway, I often have to bring the acceleration down fairly quickly to 30-40 mph. What is uncanny to me is the sensation of speed...so much so that I often check the speedometer to make sure I'm not still speeding! This car's movement is unbelievable.

Now, perhaps all larger luxury autos are like this, but my only experience has been with a BMW 750 and that was a superb car at high speeds but when I would deaccelerate, I would feel as if I was just creeping along (which I think is the normal sensation when driving most cars).

Is this something unique to Jaguar? Comments?
  • Options
    queenie- you are so right. When you take your foot of of the accelerator in any other car, the car will slow down. In a Jaguar XJ though, the car feels as if it is travelling at the same speed. You have to put your foot on the brake. It is an odd feeling that has not been duplicated in any other car I have driven~ A.R.
  • Options
    Well,

I have over 150K miles of seat time in Jags. Actually, probably closer to 200K come to think of it...

I think you get the feeling of speed simply because you sit quite a bit lower in an XJ than you do in a BMW or Mercedes so you get that feeling of speed. Much as it always feels like you're flying in a Porsche or Ferrari.

My 2cents.. err.. "pence" :)

Bill
  • Options
    mstacymstacy Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a a xj6 in 99, with about 100K miles on it currently. My A/I went out, and the dealership quoted me a price of $1200 to repair the Evaporator. Is this a fair price to pay? Would I make out better going to a small garage or A/I specialist?

Also, was curious on road vibration? my steering wheel and seat really start to shake around 90mph on up. I have brand new dun lop sp5000's and had aliment 6 months ago? Could this just be a rotation and balancing problem?

Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    Check your alignment. The following post was lifted without permission from the jagtalk message board (http://www.jagtalk.com). It was posted by Neil Roy. He had been having problems with his steering being "wobbly".

In addition to this Edmunds message board, check out the JagTalk board. Membership is free and there are lots of varied discussions. The board specializes in X-type and S-type models, but all are welcome.

Begin cut/pasted posting:

Posted by Neil Roy on April 23, 2001 at 04:25:21:

Hi All,

Hope you all had a nice time over Easter. I spent some (maybe that was ALL) my
    spare time trying to catch up on "tasks" at home. One of which was the steering
    wobble on my 2001 S-Type.

For those of you who have not read the odd mentions of this problem, I will
    quickly start from the beginning.

I got my car in October 2000 but it has been in the garage for most of the
    winter and I have only driven 1700 miles. Our other cars are better equipped
    for the snow and are less valuable.

I noticed the wobble immediately and spoke to the dealer. They inspected the
    tyres and pronounced that it could not be the tracking as the tyres were not
    unevenly worn. (Bl**dy obvious. That was because I had only driven the car for
    a few days and the tyres were simply not noticably worn at all!!!) They did a
    really comprehensive job of balancing the wheels. First rotated the tyres on
    the rims in case there was any compounding of eccentricity, balanced the wheels
    individually and then rebalanced the complete rotating assemblies as mounted on
    the car. The car then drove better but the wobble was still there.

Both of our other current cars were delivered with incorrectly set front
    alignment (toed out too much). The dealers were unhelpful and said nothing was
    wrong. The tyres started to wear on their inner edges and the problem was then
    easy to diagnose.

The solution is actually quite easy. Roughly check the setting of the front
    wheels. I just used a metal measuring tape and measured the distance between
    the outer rows of tread blocks on the tyres either side of the axle with the
    steering wheel in the straight ahead position. This measured about 10 mm total
    toe out (significant!). I then wound in the adjustment equally on either side
    until there was no difference in the measurements. This is a rough setting as
    one cannot guarantee that the tyre is mounted absolutely perfectly BUT it is a
    good enough start as the car should operate well within a small tolerance either
    side of perfect. The next step was to test drive the car. It was better. Less
    wobble and better self centering. I then took the toe-in in a further 1/8 turn
    on either side and the wobble disappeared (upto 105 mph) and the self centering
    is better still (but not perfect). I can happily live with this and will only
    play around more if the wobble returns or there is any other ill effects.

For those of you who still have this problem or are worried that the car you
    receive might have the same, (and assuming that you do not wish to play around
    with this your selves) ask the dealer to check the front alignment accurately
    and set it to no toe-in/toe-out. Drive the car. If it is not solved, gradually
    increase the toe-in and it should work.

Front drive cars often have a steering geometry that under dynamic conditions
    generate some toe-in so the static setting may be OK with a little toe-out.
    Rear drive cars do not need this and may actually generate a little dynamic
    toe-out, hence needing a little static toe-in.

So this problem is not so serious but seems to be an area that car manufacturers
    do not set accurately enough and dealers do not check before delivering there
    products.

I hope this helps anyone out there still struggling with this problem.

Cheers,
    Neil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    Yup... Evaporators are expensive, However, they're a somewhat common failure point on later XJ40s (93-94s... tho 93s seem to have a bigger problem with them)

$1,200 doesnt seem out of line, but you can call around to some Jag specialists to see what they may charge. Make sure they use a Jaguar part though.

And they are very sensitive to two things:

1) Wheel balance. Make sure that it's a dynamic balance (Weights on inside and outsideof the wheel) and done carefully.

2) Wheel torque. The wheels need to be hand-torqued to the proper setting. Gross overtorque on the whee nuts can warp your rotors. Guess what happens then? :(

You do have correct tires onthe car though. I've seen a lot of driveability problems with people whoput cheap tires on these cars. Though, IMHO, anyone who puts cheap tires on a Jag doesnt deserve the car and they deserve the negative things that happen :))

Where in the country are ya? I may know of a good shop to send you to.

Oh, and 100K is nothing. She'll easily hit 200K+ with proper care

Bill
  • Options
    Note the spy photos of the '03 at www.thecarconnection.com

Enjoy!

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Options
    This front end problem occurs in many cars these days. I have had the same expierience on a Lincoln.

There is a lot of good advice in the notes above.I would think that there is an answer there, but, let me suggest one further possibility based on my experience.

I could not seem to correct the Lincoln wobble, trying along the way much of what has been suggested, until I changes tires.
    One really good tire shop foreman told me that there was most probably a defective tread on one of the tires which would not show up on any balance, etc. It seems that the tread might be slightly squewed or wavy and this creates the problem.

Sure enough, though skeptical, when I bought a new set of tires the problem was fixed and never returned again through the life of the tires.

I agree with one of the other notes, too, in suggesting that you didn't have the correct type tire anyway. So, my suggestion is that you try tire replacement.... it just might do the trick.

These Jags are special, sensitive, cats. They demand a "kid glove" approach for they are "high strung" felines.

Happy Jaguar days!
    christchurch