Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I must have skimmed over that?

Hey did you by chance get an email from a guy about that dynomite (kaboom hehe) stuff
  • Options
    seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    been on the golf boards the past month.
  • Options
    I reread the killer systems topic and there isnt any explaination on rear and front panel removal.
  • Options
    that's right, we only went into what stuff is installed. try a search. there is one topic thaat i went into great detail on how to remove the panels. if you want, i'll email you later today with step by step procedure. there's really nothing to it, just a matter of taking ones time. the front panel no longer utilize those goofy pins/clips that sometimes break. the rears utilize clips over plastic, and care is all you need to remember when working these out.
  • Options
    I dont need instructions yet. Wait till spring

I basically want to know is it easy alright or hard? Taking into account i have removed the rear ext cab seat
  • Options
    4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    Removing the door panels is very easy. You could do it in about 15 minutes or so...

Bob
  • Options
    anyone who can mount shocks(easy) should have no problem..........
  • Options
    oh yea i forgot i did those too
  • Options
    to look at Kyle's pics too. he gave great shots of how to........
  • Options
    Have you spoke to him recently?

Last saturday we talked via aol im. Hes doing good and he is looking in once in awhile but doesnt have time to post

Ryan
  • Options
    lspangler1lspangler1 Member Posts: 68
    I was the release engineers on those door panels. Those L shaped hooks were the biggest pain in the rear. From an assembly point of view they are a great idea, the problem was that they don't slide very easy when the metal hole has a burr in it. Anyway, remove the screws from the armrest and lift straight up. WHen reinstalling make sure the vapor barrier is still sealed to the door and push in firmly while also pushing down. Be very careful of the power window switch plate in both front doors as nothing holds it in place other than the cloth insert above it. I argued many times with the engineer responsible for that but he claimed the cloth was enough to hold it. I guess vehicle integrity wasn't his aim.
  • Options
    ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Any advice on a squeaky Silverado dash? On my '01, when the temperature is near or below freezing, the dash makes noise on the right and left ends. If you put even the slightest amount of pressure on the dash, it goes away. Had the dealer look at it,last winter,and they said they went through the whole dash (removal and reinstall is what they claim) but it still does it. Once the interior temp. warms up it'll go away-just frustrates me since my '00 never had a squeak or rattle, just that darn steering vibration!
  • Options
    My truck has some squeaks also when it gets cold. expansion contraction.

I can live with it i know why its happening (cold to warm to cold). Spring time itll be back to normal
  • Options
    I don't think I can help you to much. One thing I learned when I was in that job is that like materials will almost always squeak when rubbed together. They try to use dissimilar materials whenever they have a rub point but that doesn't always work. If the squeak is near the surface of the dash, spraying something slippery from an aerosal can into the cracks might help, just make sure it's not harmful to plastic. If you can get the dash apart enough to find where you think it is, try putting electrical tape or something similarly smooth in between pieces of plastic. Most of the interior pieces on the GMT-800 are polypropolyne. Cheaper but very prone to warping out of the mold.
  • Options
    also try some foam

Worked on my dash rattle
  • Options
    maybe thaat guy listened to you after all. my switch covers have 2 teeth that hook into the panel, and then have 2 clips that hold it down towards the interior.
  • Options
    Actually the carryover guy might have made a change. I was at GM in '99. Usually they have a development engineer and once it goes into production they throw it over to the guys in charge of current production. Initially there were 2 tabs on the inboard side that hooked under the arm rest and then 2 more tabs that dug into the cloth.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    I have folded the rear seat up a few times...does that qualify me for taking door panels off!!!??

LOL

Relax babs.....take it apart and learn!

- Porter
  • Options
    No i removed the rear seat. Unbolted it and took it out. Trying to fix a rattle i had
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Taking the back seat out is a breeze...its getting it back in that's a pain....

Removing the door panels are 10000000000000000 times easier than removing the back seat.
  • Options
    you're off by one zero ok?
    don't want to mislead the youngster now do we?
  • Options
    ...just being humorous here....as I THINK others may be??...but who knows......it may be that much easier!??

LOL

I know yer proud of the things ya have done...be them simple or not........so don't get the wrong idea sport....

Beery Christmas to all...and to all a good buzz..

- Porter
  • Options
    Yes getting it back in is a pain. First time i put it back the top folded down. I was like wtf. I didnt hook it in the back.

after some choice words i got it to go back
  • Options
    mrmilkytoumrmilkytou Member Posts: 27
    All you guys are getting your new rigs and mine sat in the GM computer from October 30th till December 17th before the order was pulled. Now the dealer told me GM's shutting down for Xmas & New Years and because of the way the holidays fall the plants won't be starting up till Monday January 7th.

I wanted an off of the lot truck but no-one would honor the GM Supplier Discount unless it was an ordered truck. The few dealers I found with trucks could not find the combo I was looking for on a swap.

Maybe I'm crazy but when you spend hard earned money on a truck you want what you want!!

Every dealer seems to forget that Locking Differential and living in the Northeast I want heated mirrors and rear defog.

Anyway my truck is going to be a Fire Red 2002 GMC, Sierra SLE 2500HD Crew Cab, Duramax, Allison, Locker, Loaded with graphite cloth. Only things I left out was LT equipment( On-Star & Leather) and skid plates.

I was hoping to get the 0% financing but you never know. I have a TBW of January 14(dealer guess). I really don't know for sure. I am planning on having to wait 8-10 weeks.

Anybody have any insight on the lead time on these trucks???
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    around the local Chevy Dealers (1st time in awhile) and noticed the 2002 Silverados have an interior called Tan. It sure looks gray to me. Or possibly the Pewter that GMC has. It's not like Oak, not even as tan as Neutral. It definitely looks more gray than tan. Must be some colorblind Engineer in the Interiors department. Or would that be the Dept. of the Interiors?
  • Options
    gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    and I thought my order was slow. Order went in 11/15 and wasn't accepted till 12/20 and same situation, Chevy cust service said to call back on 1/7 to see how it will be scheduled out.

Dealer said once they get the VIN # they'll process it as if I had picked up the vehicle so I could get the 0%/3yrs, hope it's still there the wk of 1/7!

Have a 1500 LS Ext cab 2wd, Pro-Tec box, 4.8L,3.73 w/Locking Diff, Traction Assist, heated mirr, rear defog, Electric Conv Pkg, Cast Alum wheels ordered

Also here in CT and just couldn't believe there weren't any trucks with rw/defroster w/heated mirrors along with Locking Differential & traction assist.

Would like to hear how the GM Supplier Discount worked out for you, is it below dealer cost?
  • Options
    my order back in march of 00 took 27 days from the time the order was accepted to the day it arrived on the dealers lot

as for "Would like to hear how the GM Supplier Discount worked out for you, is it below dealer cost? "

I have the paperwork in front of me

MSRP:$32,053
    Supplier Price: $27,934.30
    Tax @5%: $1434.36
    Spray in bedliner, nerf bars, bug deflector, and bedrail caps: $752.90
    Minus GM CARD: $430.36
    Total: $29691.20
  • Options
    My truck was pre printed by the dealer with 3 columns, one was MSRP, second column was Invoice and the last was GMS (supplier discount).

It seems to me that it is the Invoice Price less the dealer holdback. The dealer splitting the 3% holdback with the purchaser.

By looking at the numbers side by side the dealer makes 1 1/2% on the vehicle.

I am also getting an additional $1000.00 off because I have a GM Voucher from the side saddle tanks.

By looking at your numbers ryanbab it looks like the discount is 13% off MSRP or simply multiply the sticker price by .87 for the price .

My order says GMS price $37015.00 but he said when it comes in a sheet is attached with the price listed anyway.

I'll have to ask about locking in 0% financing when the VIN# is issued.
  • Options
    Click this link to see the current incentives

http://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com

• Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Even though I don't own a full-size Chevrolet pickup, does anybody know when this current-generation Silverado will get its next thorough restyling and mechanical updates? I have a feeling that this body style will continue on forever like the past two generations (1973-87 and 1988-98). And when will the 4.3 Vortec ever be discontinued/canceled?
  • Options
    i have heard rumors of a 2003 change. The rumors were it will look sort of like the av front end.

Also in 2004 some mechanical changes are coming (displacement on demand)
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Displacement on demand ??? Did'nt Cadillac try that years ago with 4-6-8 and miserable results...oh wait a minute you won't be old enough to remember that one, I'll have to pose this question to some of the elders......LOL

Now the Av grille I kinda like but not the cladding.

Ray T.
  • Options
    Yes they did. Car and driver tv did a segment on this new technology. They showed it in action. Looks like a good EXPENSIVE option.

The gm engineer said the old DOD was a good idea but the technology wasnt there yet. Technology has now caught up and the idea actually works
  • Options
    From the article

"It's not a new idea -- in 1981, GM had a cylinder deactivation technology that was limited by a cable throttle, mechanically controlled transmission and a fraction of the computer power currently available -- but GM says today's engine computer is a 32-bit machine (versus 8 bit) that has an internal clock that is roughly 25 times faster, 50 times the computing power and 100 times the memory of the 1981 controller. "
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I wouldn't be the first in line to try this one out.
  • Options
    ID BUY A 05 OR 06
  • Options
    ...I want ALL cylinders working ALL the time.......another dumb idea....

- Tim
  • Options
    hey at least its an idea which they are producing (cough cough).

haha
  • Options
    Guys finally got a new digital camera

HP318 2.3 megapixels

heres a few i snapped tonight

Husky liners doing their job

Oh how i hate salt
  • Options
    gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    The new generation of on-demand displacement will be the next got-a-have and rightly so. As C&D stated in their piece, technology has improved and the bugs are worked out.

They did also talk about a unit that is a hybred which shuts off as you stop and restarts as you give it gas. I liked the idea of a 48 volt battery under the rear seat, and the 110VAC power it provides, but again this will be expensive option and does not justify any savings in operational expenses. This GMC admitted wasn't looking too promising.

I did talk to the dealership today where I bought my 01, the rear steer axle will be a costly option, only available at first on the Denali package. Which will put the truck in the lower $40K's. The on demand displacement will be an option at first, but in time will be standard. This won't be seen until we see the super diesel engines as common as V6 gassers are today. With the consumer and government demand for higher mileage SUV's and Pickup's the new technology will be incorporated as soon as it is available.

I am just approaching 10K on my rig, no problems or funny ticks yet. Even if there were some, I probably wouldn't hear them anyway...hard of hearing and I let my sound system 'really rock' according to my wife. Toolin down the road listening to Nickel Creek, I look good and it does what I bought it for...WORK, so who cares ;)

I also asked my dealer about the timeline for ordering. He stated that it there are really no answers. On some orders a unit will be ready in as little as three weeks, sometimes as long as six months. No rhime or reason. He ordered two identical units for a buyer and one was delivered in three months the other three later. They both came from different plants. By design or mistake, who knows. Anyway keep em rollin!
  • Options
    gvoigtgvoigt Member Posts: 63
    But what happens when you go to dump the slush and water out. Does the mat pee all over the carpet. I am thinking about the Catch-All mats. I too have snow and ice already frozen to my carpet along the edges of my factory mats. I was going to replace them last winter already...where did the time go?
  • Options
    dump them out?

I just take a towel and wipe it. THey stay put. Or i let it freeze and in the morning ill break the ice and throw it out
  • Options
    erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Is it just me, or is there something wrong with my 'puter? I'm not seeing any pictures. BTW, I also got an HP 318 for Christmas. Pictures coming just as soon as I get up to speed.
  • Options
    its your computer or something cause im seeing them
  • Options
    how do you like the 318? I think its a very nice camera. Are you using one of those memory card things? Havent bought one yet. Also i need to get some sort of case for mine for when i go on trips

TIM im gonna be up in michigan on january 9th
  • Options
    better pictures are a plus Ryan.....now that we can see what you are taking pics of....how about something worth looking at!!

LOL

Looks better than the last system you took pics with though...

and the 9th........you had better swing by pal!

E-mail me

- Tim
  • Options
    only bad thing is its 15 degrees out and i dont know if thats good for the camera. I have some pics of our basement. Ill take sometonight when i get home of various things.
  • Options
    Took off my tail light guards and ball that is in my receiver (never took it out like 2 months ago after i used it)

Lock was rusted bad i need a new one of those

Now my truck is naked :(

oh well tail light guards wont have rust on em like mine did last yr

Oh by the way i got rid of the old ones. Sent em to a guy in wisc. He used some spray on bedliner and fixed em

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.