Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra - Owners hangout

Comments

• sierra2500hdsierra2500hd Member Posts: 32
    The hd is just a one ton? Perhaps, but it rides smoother than any other 3/4 ton I've ever owned. Let them call it what they like, I love it.
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I'm getting between 12 and 13mpg on my 2500HD Crew Cab, SB, 4x4, 6.0 automatic
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Is that what happened to the Tundra Vs the big three? As for the oil dilemma, I change my oil because its dirty, not because the viscosity has broken down. Doesn't a $35K truck deserve clean oil on a regular basis? Best thing you can do for a motor is to keep the oil clean, however you do it.
  • brduckbrduck Member Posts: 2
    I'M ABOUT TO VENTURE INTO SIERRA/SILVERADO TERRITORY (PURCHASING). I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT THE 2 TRUCKS AND NOTICED THAT THE INTERIOR(CLOTH) EITHER COMES IN A DARK GREY OR TAN. ARE THESE THE ONLY TWO COLOR OPTIONS?
  • 87lion87lion Member Posts: 166
    under the new truck options. There used to be a tan, graphite (dark grey) and medium grey.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    obyone,
    I had trouble finding PF59 oil filters until I went to Walmart. They had about 100 of them on the shelf for, I think it was $2.59 each. So I bought 10 of them. For me that is a 3 years supply (oil & filter change every 3,000 miles).

pf flyer,
    I knew you'd be cooler than poca!

-David
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I thought the 3500 was considered the 1 ton.

I think the LD 2500 is a 3/4 ton and the HD 2500 is a 7/8 ton (or a 3/4 ton plus a Tundra) lol
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Have a 2001 sierra 4x4 short bed and what is the best bug shield and window visors out there?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    was always 1 ton territory...

only thing seperating them now is a duelly option I guess?

I agree,,,,9200 rides better than my 8600...course my 10,700 E350 Cube van rides even better!

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Best bug shield: Lund Interceptor

Best vent visor: WeatherFlectors
  • erikheikererikheiker Member Posts: 230
    Better keep that receipt for the Lund Interceptor handy. Mine was so deformed I was never able to mount it. It was brand new and in the box when I got it. ERG has one for a few dollars more, but it requires clipping onto the outside of the hood, which may eventually wear the paint. GM also sells one through the dealers that doesn't look too bad and fits really nice. I still don't have one, but I'm looking.

Erik
    I have had good luck with both as have many other posters here. WF is popular because they require no adhesive. They are held in place by tension. The Interceptor mounts to the undeside of the hood using inserts and existing holes. Erik is the only poster I've noticed who has been unfotunate enough to have problems with the Interceptor.
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    I too had some trouble installing the Lund Interceptor bug guard.
    The little insert clips they send you that are for installing into the existing square holes in the underside of the hood kept popping out of the hood, even with the screws installed into them all the way. I ended up going to a hardware store and buying some better square insert clips that needed a little trimming, but fit so much better.

-David
  • ultra3ultra3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I frequently check this sight, but havent seen much lately about performance mods. I have a 2001 GMC 5.3, 2.73, 2WD EC SB. Has anyone tried the hyper-tech power programmer. How about the AIR-RAID Intake or K&N Generation II air intake. Finally, I am considering a CAT-BACK exhaust. What are your preferences and did you notice a performance improvement with these mods. These 3 items are about $900.00. Do you think they are worth the Cash? Thanks in Advance. Howie
  • dauburndauburn Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a new 2500HD with the 8100/Allison combo. Can anyone give me some insight about gas mileage vs overall performance with either rear end. I will be towing a 13,500 Lb (gross)/10,500Lb (dry) 5th but only as an ocasional weekend or one or two week traveler. Other wise short run around town trips and some off raod activity. We live in Colorado some mountain travel is a strong possibility here. Thanks>
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Was going over some of the posts and saw you had a question on the 4:10 as the 3:73 that I didn't see answered. I have the same unit with the 3:73 and I am getting 16 on short runs and 17+ on the longer [200] runs I now have 5k on this one on the y2k CM bought back I didn't get quite as good but real close [15.98] on 27425 total miles. I did find out that when I put my michlan LAMS tires on it dropped the mpg just a little but sure road and drove different. They say that the 4:10s will add about 200rpm at 60mph so there is the difference. My rpm at 60 is 1550 if that helps or do you have the tack? Hope that helps some.
    Was going over some of the posts and saw you had a question on the 4:10 as the 3:73 that I didn't see answered. I have the same unit with the 3:73 and I am getting 16 on short runs and 17+ on the longer [200] runs I now have 5k on this one on the y2k GM bought back I didn't get quite as good but real close [15.98] on 27425 total miles. I did find out that when I put my michlan LAMS tires on it dropped the mpg just a little but sure road and drove different. They say that the 4:10s will add about 200rpm at 60mph so there is the difference. My rpm at 60 is 1550 if that helps or do you have the tack? Hope that helps some.
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    I've recently seen commercials for the GMC Sierra Wrangler and Chevy Silverado Thunder Edition trucks. Both ads mention 270hp (4.8) V8s and limited-edition colors. Does anyone know whats so different with these trucks as opposed to standard ones?

Also, how come I've never heard of 7-speed transmissions?
    ....4 gears....1,2,3 also have an OD..aka 7 speeds

- Tim
  • davidebrowndavidebrown Member Posts: 13
    Service Manuals for 1999 CK (Silverado/Sierra) for sale, bought for my 1999, sold truck. They cost me about 135 as I recall, would like 100$ They are in great shape, will include shipping, I think I only opened the first volume. Please respond to debrown@bignet.net. Also have Yakima racks to fit a Leer Cap if interested.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • greg116greg116 Member Posts: 116
    As I understand it, Corvette manuals go 1-2-3-4-5-O/D and their autos go 1-2-3-O/D. My father's BMW manual goes 1-2-3-4-O/D, and I believe those little Firefly/Sprint/Metro have 1-2-3-O/D1-O/D2.

I'm afraid I dont quite understand your reasoning.
    ..But if you leave a Vette with a 700R locked into 1/2/or 3...it goes into another OD for each gear

aka 7 speed

- Tim
  • steveheywoodsteveheywood Member Posts: 24
    This question is directed towards anyone who own a 2500HD with the 6.0L engine. Does your truck have a full-floating rear axle? All the 2500HDs I've seen either have the diesel or the 8.1 and of course have a full-floater. I don't need that much power but I do need the strength and security of the full-floater as I plan to haul a camper. Please don't tell me to ask a dealer as most dealers don't know what I'm talking about.
    Thank you
  • deviatedeviate Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys-

Great, informative, and entertaining site. I've
    been lurking awhile, but now that I bellied up and ordered a new truck ('01 Sierra EC 2WD SLT, Storm Grey, dark leather in case anyone's interested) I thought I'd ask where you're getting the delivery dates, born-on dates, and VINs proir to actually getting the truck. While I fully intend to start hassling the dealer when we hit the estimated six week mark, since it's only been two, I'll wait a bit. Am I crazy to think that it might really get here in the estimated time frame? The dealer says the factories aren't too busy right now.

I'd appreciate any info anyone might have. E me directly if you want. agh@inebraska.com

Thanks in advance!

--Tony in Nebraska
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I have heard that all 2500HD's get the full floater.

With the standard 2500's only the manual transmissions came with full floaters, automatics came with the 9.5" semi-floater.

Mike L
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    My 6.0L 2500HD 4x4 manual has a full floater.
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I might as well know what it is. So just what is a full floater anyway?
    A full floater is an axle that has all of the vehicle weight carried by the hub, none by the axle. If the axle breaks, the wheel stays in place and will still support the the weight.

Passenger car axles have the weight carried by the axle and if the axle breaks, the wheel usually goes it's own way.

You can recognize the full floater by pulling the cap off the wheel. What you will see is a big hub sticking 4-6" out of the wheel. Ordinary axles are mostly flat, and do not stick out of the wheels.

Mike L
    You need to get the order number from the dealer. Once the factory accepts the order they will give the dealer an order number. Then call the customer service line to find the TPW (target production week). I think that once they assigned the TPW they also assigned a VIN. Call CS about once a week. More often might make you feel better but you won't get much more info. Once the TPW is scheduled you can get info on whether it's actually being built (mine was delayed about a week from original TPW), sitting on the loading dock or in transit. Check the VIN to make sure your truck is optioned correctly. I also asked the dealer for a printout of the order to make sure all options were ordered correctly. Finally, when you take delivery make sure the vehicle's VIN matches the one you were given by CS.
  • willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    Not quite...

A VIN is not assigned until the vehicle has actually been built. The other information you gave is essentially correct.
  • deviatedeviate Member Posts: 9
    Hey guys--

Thanks for the good info. Just got my TPW (4.2.01). Can't freakin' wait...!

--Tony
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    I have a 2001 sierra 4x4 shortbed and was wondering if anyone out there has put on a fiberglasss cap. If so, what kind and about how much? I just want a regular style and no fancy stuff.
    I also have a 01 [chev]and I have a raider cap cab high with the big windows and the upgrade back door. It also has the felt lining to keep it from sweating mine cost 1015.00 instaled with tax here is wash. I looked at Leer,Snugtop,Are and several others this was the cheapest and had the best warranty as if any thing happens they just give you a new one. They are made in Canada this is my 3rd one had good luck with them. They have a cheaper one for about 850.00 + tax
    I am very happy with my cap. I also looked at Leer, Century and a couple of others whose names escape me at the moment. I paid about $1000 installed for color matched, long bed, front and side sliders, and dome light. They used to have a discount coupon at their web site.
  • wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    I found the above leftover unit at a local dealer; it fits my needs well. It is new with only 36 mi. They are discounting it $6700 off MSRP and $3200 below invoice with GM rebates and $1,000 auto show discount.

Seems like a great deal to me. I think I'll get this over the 2wd model I was planning on. Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks, Ward
    is it 3 or 4 door?
  • wnicholswnichols Member Posts: 42
    It is a two door regular cab. I don't want an extended cab.
    this reading disorder must be contagious, I reread your original post and there it was in black and white....RC LB.
    Congratulations!!!

Sounds like an excellent deal on a great truck.

Hope you enjoy it at much as I enjoy mine.

Reg Cab Longbed - a real pickup, not a car with a big open trunk.

Mike L
    00 2500 4x4 Reg Cab Longbed 6.0L 5spd
    Deadhorse, Alaska 6-6-99
  • gmc2001crewgmc2001crew Member Posts: 4
    It finally hit me! I am just another GOLDIELOCKS! Everything we looked at was either too big, or too little or too this or that...well low and behold we stumbled upon our "little" beauty: 2001 GMC 1500 HD Crew! That's right 1500 HD with a GREAT 6.0 ltr. For me this truck is the C3 on roids! Got all the good from the 2500 HD and the best from the 1500. For us this truck was JUST RIGHT!
    ..they still make them dinosaurs for old timers?

LOL

... - Tim
    It ain't really full size unless it has an 8 foot bed. Short beds are really just a jeep with a little more space behind the seat. Teeheehee.
    that should be 8 foot instead of a 7' something is a pool table!

LOL

....4th pick-em-up so farr..and never had a long bed yet...

- Tim
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    you'd be better off with a crown victoria.... or maybe a town car
    just like all beer should come in either a keg or a longneck (except for Mickey's).

However, I had a 6 1/2' bed on my Dakota and it was one of the few things I disliked about it. Try carrying a load of 10' 4x4s in a short bed, and 10' dry wall has got to be out of the question.
    zactly...only beer to come in cans should be ones with widgets..like Guinness/Murphys/Boddingtons......and there is something about a Fosters Oil can that is manly!

LOL

....lincoln.....crown Vic?...uhhh...don't think so...

10 foot drywall has been done in my short box....only hangs out about less than 2 feet with gate down.....I out a sheet of plywood sticking out for support so they wouldn't bounce...worked good.

8 foot bed is not needed...for me at least.....but if you want one....I guess more power to ya!

Good luck on this one now!

- Tim
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    I think it depends on your need and usage. I have never had anything but a long bed. For me the problem with a short bed is: can't carry long lumber, can't carry much hay, can't carry much grain, can't carry two pallets of fertilizer, and can't overload them. But if your needs doesn't require any thing more than a short bed, they are easier to get around in and park. Mostly I have plenty of room to turn and park in except for town parking lots.
    cowboyjohn
    Tim,

You're so used to your short bed you didn't even notice a real pool table is 4 1/2' x 9' and doesn't have a coin slot.

Come by my house someday and I'll show you what a real pool table looks like.

I wouldn't mind a short bed to get a shorter wheelbase for better off road manuverability. But, as you know, a 2500 short bed means an ext cab which has a longer wheelbase yet.

Mike L
    Longer beds and longer tables
    ...I can keep being off subject here..

If I worked on a farm...perhaps I would have a long bed....but I have yet to find any weekender job the short bed won't handle...and I go beyond the average weekender...

as for tables....well....9 foots are cool....even snooker is cool...but 8 is the way to go for me....and no my Brunswick does not have a coin slot!

LOL

- Tim
  • nowickslnowicksl Member Posts: 20
    Hey, finally got the salt off the roads and time to get the 99 Sierra out and about. I miss the comfort of this truck with the bench seat and real armrest.

Drove a C3 for an extended test, and really was impressed with the traction on snow covered roads and great power. Gas mileage wasn't too great though...
This discussion has been closed.