Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MINI Cooper

Comments

• Options
    eandlcubedeandlcubed Member Posts: 78
    i agreed with markjenn on this feature. it is also annoying. i had this on my '00 mercedes wagon and the things keep going on and on up to a point of making squeaky sound especially in rain dust(?).
  • Options
    what colour is popular on the mini. i am leaning toward a yellow/white combo. friends and family said yellow might be out of style and be bored with it in 5 years or so, and that i should stick to traditional colours like red, silver and white. i know it is a subjective opinion but please let me know. what the majority opinion? :)
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    you may be less bored after time if you get a color that isn't commonly seen. I owned a yellow Fiat Spider for 7 years, never got tired of it's looks, wish I still had it.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    stryderstryder Member Posts: 140
    Part of the reason I went with the Borbet H wheels (besides them being only $99) is they're really easy to clean, and look good. Also the size doesn't matter either, but smaller wheels will require bigger tires (to keep the same diamater) which is a benefit in winter, so moving to a 15" or 16" is a good thing, not to mention cheaper. But yes, if you find a competant tire place, they'll take care of everything for you, you just need to choose a style and which tire you want and size.

By anecdotal evidence Chili Red is the most popular Cooper color, and Dark Silver is the most popular S color. I might worry about resale value, but 5 years isn't all that far off, I doubt tastes would change much. Yellow's more of a timeless oddball color. Gold, or orange seem to be the current popular oddball colors, so I'd stay away from them. (Suposedly gold is very unpopular for MINI anyway)

I say get the color you want, its not a big deal, and you'll be kicking yourself if you didn't get the one you wanted and settled for a mainstream color. Be unique and let the critics drive boring cars.
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    With me, Pulley is my last name!

But most people referring to pulleys and MINIs are referring to the one on the supercharger on the Cooper S. Changing the pulley results in different (hopefully better) performance with a different ratio of engine revs to supercharger revs.

I see some yellow MINIs. They look pretty good. Chili Red, Pure Silver and Dark Silver seem to be the most common colours, Electric Blue too. Black, Indi Blue, British Racing Green and Yellow are seen in reasonable numbers. Not too many Silk Greens (discontinued), Velvet Reds (discontinued), or Pepper Whites are seen. Only Gold I've seen is on the dealer's lot.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I will be getting a set of snows since I commute 100 miles a day in the Mini. The all season's won't cut it in the snow based on past experience here in the Northeast. Tire rack lists a winter tire pkg. for $480 w/Blizzak's and steel wheels in 15". I'm sure that can be adjusted based on wheel preference.

E.H. ; Seen a lot of red & silver Mini's but the best color is Indi Blue IMO. But then again that's my preference too!
    Check your profile you list a car choice as a new "Bini " or Pirus. Typo I suspect !

Ray T.
  • Options
    ray:
     thanks...here we call the new bmw mini "a bini" to differentiated it from the classic mini from rover. :)
  • Options
    ontheroadagainontheroadagain Member Posts: 44
    hpulley4, thanks for the explanation!

Thank you to everyone for their wheel and tire info. as well.

For the record, in Manhattan I've seen one gold MINI. Very out of character looking to me. Choose your MINI color based upon what you love!
  • Options
    Tirerack just prices out example packages really, so yeah depending on what you want they'll adjust it..

I've said it before, but saving $200 and getting steel wheels doesn't seem like a good idea to me as compared to alloys, both for looks, performance and cleaning. But whatever anyone gets, as long as they're snow tires, you'll be happy when winter comes.
  • Options
    your car's going to look like crap in the wintertime anyway and salt is not real kind to alloy wheels so I put steel wheels on and don't bother to disguise them with plastic covers that fall off or get cracked.

Hey it's your money. Tire Rack rocks!

• Options
    i read from a website that the mini cooper, the mini one and not the cooper s might get a slight face lift this coming summer '04. a more drastic redesign is slated for '06. anyone heard similar story? i hate to order one and find out the rumour is true...
  • Options
    The car is constantly changing. Little things and then bigger things. I've heard rumours of a face-lift in '04 and others refuting that and saying just refinements like in 2003. 2006 is supposedly the redesign, new engines, etc.
  • Options
    The most common facelift rumors are more of 'bug fixes' Basically replacing what people complain about. Like new cupholders, different seats, new lights etc. I wouldn't worry about it affecting the value of your '04 much, since only true MINI geeks will know the difference.

The MINI Cabrio should have most of the facelift items included on it, so that's and advance thing.

I'd only worry about the big redesign in a few years, but that always happens with cars, and it'll still be evolutionary anyway, like a Miata or most BMWs
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I agree with the previous two posts - there's going to be a continued evolution in the design, as is BMW's nature, with infrequent completely new models. I'd mostly ignore this stuff or you'd just stay on the sidelines forever. BMW has done a pretty good job of making sure the new designs don't date the old. And in some cases, the old looks better to many eyes (witness the new 5-series).

For example, they're phasing in a new 3-spoke steering wheel in the Dec production run (concensus is that the new one looks kinda cheesey), minor styling changes in summer '04 (probably concentrated in the non-S), and there is a new engine in the pipeline as well. (The current Brazilian-mfg engine is produced in a joint venture with Daimler Chrylser - BMW did the deal before Chrysler merged with Daimler, so they'd like to get out of it to avoid having a partnership with their arch-rival.)

My advice: stop worrying and start driving!

- Mark
  • Options
    and the BMW 1-series to share engines?

• Options
    I think BMW wants to differentiate the Cooper and 1-series enough that this wouldn't work. Also, last I heard, the 4-cyl 1-series was going to be a valvetronic motor so it will be relatively expensive. Also heard that only the six-cyl 1-series was likely in the states.

- Mark
  • Options
    They are very different cars. One is FWD with a transversely mounted engine, the other is RWD with a longitudinally mounted engine. The engine mounting characteristics mean different transmission mounting characteristics and likely things like different dip-stick and oil filter locations. I can't think of many engines that are used transversely in some cars and longitudinally in others.
  • Options
    but it's possible that, being a four and thus relatively short, the base 1-series motor could be adapted.

The VW/Audi 1.8T serves in logitudinal (A4/Passat) and sidewinder (Golf/Beetle/TT)form.

Rumor has it the next Mini motor will be sourced from Peugeot.

• Options
    thanks everyone for all the informative posts! i ordered a yellow/white cooper with manual, zenon and leatherette today. it will take 6 weeks for delivery and am able to take delivery at its plant in oxfordshire because i told the dealer that i'll be doing business in the london area this december. it will be a fun drive home !!!
  • Options
    Very cool. Please do the plant tour and report back that these things are built by dedicated, sober, and meticulous people working in white lab coats who love their job producing the finest small car in the world. And if doesn't turn out to be true, just lie.

- Mark
  • Options
    nicholls1nicholls1 Member Posts: 2
    I've never bought a new car before (never even been interested in cars except as transportation), but I love the looks of the mini. If I decide to do this am I supposed to try to negotiate with the dealer, or do I just pay what he says? Also, is it ok to get the basic car and not the s? I don't see too minis around here- it would sure brighten the neighborhood. Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    Minis are generally in high demand with waiting lists up to a year, so significant discounts are virtually unheard of.

Most sell at MSRP, and some hot markets (mostly on the west coast) are getting well over MSRP. So while you can always attempt to negotiate, I suspect it will be a take-it-or-leave-it negotiation.

If you are willing to travel, you can reduce the length of time you have to wait. I ordered from a distant dealer to get the wait time from 10 months to 2 months and to avoid markup over MSRP.

Certainly it's fine to get the "basic car". The horsepower is adequate (although not excessive by any stretch). In many ways, it is more true to the original Mini spirit and it looks a little cleaner with the smaller wheels and fewer tack-ons. They're less in demand, so you might even find one you like in stock somewhere. If this car suits your needs, go for it!

- Mark
  • Options
    Follow the other hints on the edmunds.com car buying FAQ as well, so you don't get caught in any suprises. But otherwise you'll probably find MINI dealers are quite nice to work with, and are straight forward about what price you'll pay, what you'll get etc.

And just go and test drive both models. If you like a Cooper, buy that, if you can afford and want an S, buy that. Both have advantages, and the price difference isn't significant, so decide based on other factors (like looks and handling and performance).

Let us know how your dealer visit goes, and don't rush into anything and you should be quite happy however your MINI experience ends up.

Congrats eandlcubed. I'm not sure you'll be able to take a factory tour. I was reading something about the tours being cancelled until spring due to upgrades (for the Cabrio and other minor changes next year)
  • Options
    eandlcubed, very exciting and, if you do get a tour, I'm with markjenn "just lie" if their not in their white lab coats! ;-)

nicholls1, I live in NY but right next to CT. The prices two different MINI dealers gave me were the same... I'm sure you've spent endless hours reading through all the posts on MINIs both on this site, and others.

Don't worry, it will all work out just fine - especially if you go in knowing pretty much what you want ahead of time in the sense of options... And remember, you can test drive a car more than once and don't even have to get into price particulars until you're ready...who knows maybe they'll have one on the lot that you love and you won't even have to wait!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major newspaper is looking to interview people who recently bought small cars after previously
    driving larger cars or SUVs, despite whether you traded from big to small or if you still have the larger vehicle. He's especially looking for drivers of the Mini Cooper, Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Dodge Neon, Hyundai Tiburon and Mazda Protege. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Tuesday, October 28, 2003 with your daytime contact info and the type of vehicles you had and have.
    Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    minijulieminijulie Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Mini Cooper's sunroof has a very loud rattle that the dealership can not find the source of. As well my dash board rattles and my back hatch. Any suggestions on what might be rattling in my sunroof. It stops once the sunroof is open. As well sometimes my car tries to stall when i have my foot completely down on the clutch. This is my first import car and i am not to terribly impressed, although i do love my car, the dealer and the rattles drive me crazy and with winter coming on, i don't like driving with the sunroof open. If anyone can help, please let me know. thanks! MiniJulie
  • Options
    A reprogramming of the computer can help with the morning stutter. Also, I find ethanol blends (Sunoco, Pioneer, UPI, Petro Can 94) make it worse. Shell Optimax 91 and Esso Supreme 91 work best in my 2002 MINI Cooper.

I don't have a sunroof so I can't help there. In the first year of ownership your dealer should help with rattles, taking things apart and applying felt or other material. After a year, that won't be covered under warranty, I'm afraid.

My car has a few transient rattles but none have required dealer work. Some come and go, most have gone and went. It seems that the use of heat or AC can get the main dash vent going so I find the window or window/feet position is often best so it doesn't get the dash creaking. Be careful what you put in the door pockets and glove box as they can buzz.

Harry
  • Options
    i do hope you are wrong with the closing of the plant (crossing my fingers). i will ask my sale agent regarding the plant operation. however she did assure me i can pick my car up there...

nicholls1: take these guys's advices they know what they talking about. i have read most of the posts and they are the reason i decided to buy the mini instead of waiting the new prius to come to my neck of the wood. good luck, you won't go wrong with either model :)
  • Options
    Older (like your '02) sunroofs would have the wind deflector rattle against the roof when it was closed. Various people and the 'official' fix (It'd be nice if BMW/MINIs technical bullitens were available) are to add some soft fabric on top of the wind deflector, so it can't rattle against the glass..

I'm a bit amazed assuming this is the problem that your dealer doesn't know about it.

Here's a website (but look quick, he sold his MINI so the site's closing the end of the month) http://www.r53w11.com/sunroofrattle.htm witth a picture and explantion. Hopefully that's the problem, since its relatively easy to solve. (Check for the wear marks on the deflector)

To contine what hpulley said, if your car doesn't have a more recent version of 'software' (they're by cds, the current one is 35, soon to be 36) it could have the stalling isse. If your dealer hasn't updated it since you bought the car, you can certainly benefit from getting the upgrade off the recent CD. Often though, a dealer will update your car as a fix to random problems, so it could be on a reciept from service.

If you do get your software done, be sure they re-program any settings, they'll get lost in the upgrade.
  • Options
    "nicholls1: take these guys's advices they know what they talking about. i have read most of the posts and they are the reason i decided to buy the mini instead of waiting the new prius to come to my neck of the wood. good luck, you won't go wrong with either model :)"

My sentiments exactly! I was tempted by the Prius, but the MINI won me over and reading every one of the threads on here helped tremendously.
  • Options
    Thank you soooo much for the advice on the rattles and stalling. It has been such a fustrating experience to deal with the dealer and now i can take something to them to say, this is the problem and this is how you fix it. MiniJulie
  • Options
    surjn98surjn98 Member Posts: 34
    A deer hit our 2003 Red Mini and was surprised by how well the Mini took the impact. It was a dark road and traveling at around 40mph and a deer ran across. So the impact was pretty hard. It hit the front passenger side and missed the headlight. It did break the passenger side rearview mirror. There was a dent just beside the headlight.
    The body is well built and the metal is extremely sturdy/thick. I came home and compared the Toyota's metal and was basically like paper when compared to the MINI. Makes me think if I should buy a Toyota the next time!
    Anyway, I'm not sure how much it will cost to fix the panel/side rearview. I'm sure our insurance will cover it, but does our premium go up by something like a deer hit? We've never had any tickets/accidents.
  • Options
    Insurance companys vary widely in how they react to a claim. It depends on the company, how long you've been insured with them, your long-term claim history, what risk category you're in, etc. But generally, one claim, in and of itself, will not affect your premium, other than perhaps losing a "no claim" discount.

Regardless, if the damage exceeds your deductable by a significant amount, make a claim. What's the point of insurance if you're not going to use it?

I don't think they pay a whole lot of attention to the accident type. To them, a claim is a claim and they're losing money. They lose enough, they raise rates and/or drop you.

- Mark
  • Options
    I had someone back into me (don't ask, he was being an idiot and I was in traffic and couldn't move) anyway. If its only sheet metal and the mirror that are broken, MINIs aren't very expensive to fix. If you start getting into more underlying stuff, it can get quite expensive. I hope the airbags didn't go off, they're pricy.

Anyway, as far as insurance, it depends on your company. Most of them are pretty nice with no-fault type accidents, (like hitting a deer) And especially since you've probably paid thousands to them and never had a claim over the years, they may just forgive you. But its hard to say, even if they do charge you, its usually only a fixed percentage increase which might be written out in your policy, your premium shouldn't suddenly double.

In any event, MINIs are certainly well built and safe. Someone hit a moose, and had similar damage to you, except part of the suspension was bent.

Hope that helps, and remember the important part is the people inside the car.

May your MINI be fixed swiftly and you be motoring again soon.
  • Options
    It's when people are involved that things get expensive. These days up here 'soft tissue damage' is causing an uproar with people getting physio, massages, help around the house, etc. etc. for years after simple low-speed accidents. This is what makes premiums go up.

Sorry for the deer, it doesn't have insurance and can't sue you. The mere cost of a few hundred or thousand dollars of body damage is nothing to an insurance company. It's tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical costs and lost wages that are the problem.

If they'd hit a Xenon light that would be expensive. Halogens are cheap, as are the rear light clusters. If you end up with suspension and/or steering damage then it gets expensive. I've seen some new ones that were written off quickly or should have been with a lot of front-end damage.
  • Options
    But I am glad you were AOK and that your MINI withstood it well...that said, I hate the feeling that I've hit an animal.

Fortunately it has only happened to me once and it was a opossum. :-(
  • Options
    Poor Deer!!! My brother hit a deer and state farm insurance said that it was covered as an act of God and it didn't change our insurance rates. You have to make sure to say that the deer hit you and not you hit the deer.
  • Options
    nicholls1nicholls1 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate all the help. I visited the Princeton and the Morristown dealers and they were both very laid back(and busy). I chose Morristown because its a little closer and ordered the mini today. Pepper white with a black top. A good experience, but its the first new car I've bought so I don't have anything to compare it to. Basically he told me the price and I agreed. Anyway, delivery is middle of Jan. but that suits me fine. I need time to adjust to the idea of actually buying a NEW car- its hard to reconcile with my practical side. Thanks again, this site is very useful and will continue to be so. Barbara
  • Options
    Don't know how your insurance in Mo. works with this type accident but in N.Y. State a deer hit is covereed under your comprehensive coverage and is not a chargeable accident against your record.(been there done that). Dependent on how much deductable you have on comprehensive coverage will decide your out of pocket expense.
    As long as all are OK the Mini is repairable, that's what counts.
    This is the time of year deer are in rut so they do suicidal things (like running blindly into traffic)in the game of mating !

Ray T.
  • Options
    maineminimainemini Member Posts: 1
    I have seen a few up this way... anyone on the board from Maine or a few hours from a mini dealer? I am wondering how getting scheduled maintenance done, etc. has worked out being so far from the dealer? I am planning on getting a mini but am worried about the long distance if I need to go to the dealer for stuff.

Any thoughts on the long term resale value of the mini? Wonder if they will go the way of the beetle and pt cruisers and be everywhere with low resale after a few years.
  • Options
    whitelighteninwhitelightenin Member Posts: 5
    Would anybody out there buy a brand new 2003 Cooper S fully loaded for $28,000 that had been sitting on the dealers lot for 9 months?...covered by normal warranty but seems like a long time just sitting...please advise
  • Options
    I bought a '95 car new in '96 and it had been on the lot for about a year. I don't believe it had any problems because of that. The muffler didn't last that long (2 years) but I think it went more due to short drives (usually 15 minutes or less, no commute at the time) than anything else; and it was replaced under warranty anyhow.

The warranty is still full and valid so if anything happens in 4 years because of the sitting it will be covered anyways. Go for it!
  • Options
    $28K sounds like full list (perhaps MSRP+) and I doubt the car has just been sitting - most cars like this have hundreds of miles and tens of test drives. These are hard miles. As well, the 2004s are out and have made a number of improvements. A nine-month sitting 2003 was likely built in late 2002 which is pretty early in the production line for this car and there were a fair number of early bugs.

So unless having a car RIGHT NOW is paramount, I'd order a new 2004. There are a fair number of dealers willing to make MSRP deals on a new one and you'll have a fresh 2004 with no miles and exactly your specs in a few months.

- Mark
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    My biggest issue with any leftover car is that it has already taken a year's worth of depreciation and you haven't even driven if off the lot yet.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    It's not worth it unless you get a substantial discount. I'll bet that car was/is a demo.

• Options
    On page 80, post 1569 is someone asking about a MINI in Maine, but I don't think he's posted since then.

I explained then its not a big deal for maintence unless you drive a lot, because you're only going at 10K and then every 15K after that, it'll also make your car more unique, which isn't a bad thing.

If you're willing to do the drive for service, then its a good idea, and if something really goes wrong, MINI will pay while under warranty to have your car towed to the dealer.
  • Options
    These cars have not proven to be trouble-free so far. It's a completely new German design being built on a English production line. This menans that nearby warranty support is CRITICAL.

Personally speaking, if the nearest Mini dealer was three hours away and there was a nearby VW, Subaru, or Ford dealer, I'd be shopping for a GTI 1.8T, WRX, or SVT Focus. With so many good new cars out there, it just isn't worth the risk.

- Mark
  • Options
    So it isn't exactly new anymore. New ones are much better than old ones.
  • Options
    whitelighteninwhitelightenin Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the good advice...I'm paying MSRP for leather, premium and sport package, hk sound and nav system and $385 for mini alarm system...$26660...the car has 70 miles on it...car has not been a demo...wanted to give everyone more info about it...car looks great...
  • Options
    Sounds like a decent deal, I thnk it has a few more options than you listed at that price though.
    Price out a 04 on the website http://www.miniusa.com to compare pricing, but if your in a hurry and know you want the Mini youv'e seen and sat in.......go for it !
    I have a 03 purchased in April, have had No problems w/14k so far on the clock, I commute 100 miles a day and do joy rides on weekends.

Ray T.
This discussion has been closed.