Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    A car is dead w/o cupholders these days, even the "luxo" or "performance" brands.

I chose my aftermarket unit for the following: front AUX input (rears need not apply), rotary encoder, minimally-distracting display. What I got isn't the best (wanted bigger buttons and dials, dedicated clock display, ability to play MP3-encoded CD-Rs), but delivered most of what I wanted at a decent price (I wasn't about to spend $500-700 on some makes' top end units that included a front AUX jack). Thus, I was limited to Aiwa and JVC.

Seriously, I am in love with my iPod and won't consider a car that doesn't either come stock with an AUX input or allow me to easily put in an aftermarket unit with one. The FM transmitters are junk, IMO, so don't go there. I could burn CD-Rs of my collection, but I've got over 5GB of MP3s (all legal, BTW), so they'd take up a bit of space. An MP3-capable head unit might work, but not all software burns MP3-encoded discs that work with all players. Plus, new formats come out all the time as they improve compression schemes (like AAC and whatever format that Microsoft is trying to push to replace MP3).

I still remember when cars didn't even have tuners in them. Now the "baseline" is a 4-speaker system with a tuner/CD-player, unless you've got a real "stripper", which still include at least a tuner.

Oh well, enough said here. I've gotta send a bunch of requests to Mazda NA to drive this point home.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I am currently in the process of re-ripping all of my CDs into the new AAC format. So far, I have saved myself about a gig of storage due to the better compression AAC offers. I expect to double that when I am done. The down side is, all of the aftermarket head units decode MP3 and/or WMA, but not AAC. I must make do with an AUX input for now. Still trying to figure out which one to buy for the P5 and the Miata.
    I'm probably going to re-rip all my CDs into AAC format. Geez, I'm not looking forward to that amount of work, but I keep hearing it's so much better than MP3 (although I use VBR with 128 set as the minimum). I'll give it a test run with a couple of favorite tunes first to see if I can hear the difference myself.

And the iPod is no longer the only deck-of-cards size MP3 jukebox out there. These things are only getting more popular and should be considered by auto manufacturers to differentiate their product. Will they be leaders or will they hang onto someone else's coattails?
  • russ32russ32 Member Posts: 1
    Seeing as the rear license plate is only secured at the top, it rattles when you close the hatch. Any ideas to fix this?
  • tetonmantetonman Member Posts: 73
    I've used a fairly heavy plate frame and then used two way tape to hold it down. No problems so far and it made it through a Chicago winter.

I remember seeing this topic earlier, around October or November of last year??? You might want to search and see what you find.

Good luck.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    sirius is on the way....Ford signed a deal with them to a couple months ago to supply all of the ford family of companies..mazda included.

the bad part is I don't have any word as to availability yet. But I suspect the 2004 model year will offer at least some models with sat radio.

This is one of those features that I am hearing from some customers...not huge demand yet, but certainly enough interest to offer the feature.

rich
    Stick-on rubber feet might work.

I actually use the plastic advertising plate from the dealership (the one they give you for the front with your temp tag) under the license plate. It seems to dampen the rattle fairly well.
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad they're responding. Perhaps it makes more sense to put pressure on Ford then as Mazda doesn't depend as much on US sales as Ford does.
  • subyaudidudesubyaudidude Member Posts: 136
    Will there be a retro-fit for older models that's worthwhile, or will going the aftermarket route still be cheaper?
  • hurler4hurler4 Member Posts: 104
    I have heard a lot of people complain about the fairly thin paint job of the P5, causing chips to occur more often than with other cars. Does anyone know if the anti-chipping tape that is available on the Toyota Corolla can be used on the P5? Has anyone tried this?
    Do you mean the transparent urethane film that 3M makes? If so, yes. You can get pre-cut kits or raw film (and you trim out the pieces you want). My wife and I put it on her P5 (not a bad job either, except on the side mirrors, which I kinda messed-up). The front bumper was a bit of work. So was the hood piece.
    mazdafun, is the tape visible? What do you do when you wash the car? I assume no polish or wax is necessary?
    Once you put the tape on, you can't get it back off, can you?
    The tape is visible if you're looking for it from about an arm's lenght, in the right light (it does cast a shadow...I think it's about 0.015in thick).

You leave it on during washing (just don't aim a pressure washer jet at the edge) and waxing. No wax required on the film.

You can remove the tape, but you're not going to get it back on after that.

I'd have put it on my '99 Pro, but they didn't have the pre-cut forms until after I'd already gotten several stone chips. Oh well. Price of being an early adopter. My wife waited until after we'd applied the film to driver her P5 around. The rear bumper cover has been very useful. We both put the thicker stuff (0.080in thick) on our headlamps (and her foglamps) to protect those.

At first, you'll see "haze", just all the little bubbles that form as the alcohol solution evaporates. These disappear in a few months. On her silver P5, it's really hard to see.
    Sounds like a great idea!! Where can you get the film? An art store or hardware store?

My parents have it on their 2003 Toyota Corolla (part of the weather package) and it seems to work wonders...

Thanks for the info!
    I'm sure there are others that sell the 3M film.

Try a google search on "3m car film" or "paint protection film" and see what pops up.

I think 3M calls it "ScothCal Paint Protection Film". It takes a while to find it on their site, under their automotive product catalog, under "3M™ Scotchcal™ Striping Tape and Paint Protection Film". The url is too long to paste here.

Here's the aftermarket product catalog:

http://www.3m.com/us/auto_marine_aero/aad/catalog/

Click on the "Striping tape and paint protection film" link.

I've seen it advertised as "Diamond Shield", "Magic Invisible Shield" and so on. Same stuff.

What I like about Stongard's kits is they don't make "inside" slits that can accumulate dirt. However, this can make application harder as you have to stretch the film more without these slits.
    I got the link on the tape. Thank again.

Are there any P5 owners out there who do their own maintenance? If so, how easy is it to do things like change the oil, spark plugs, filters, light bulbs, coolant, etc.? I've heard that the oil filter is tough...anything else difficult to do?

Also, what about the timing belt? How often does it need to be replaced?
    Air filter, plugs, bulbs, coolant are easy. Oil is easy too. The oil filter can be hard to get at due to the lower brace plates obstructing access and is put on very tightly at the factory (I couldn't budge it on my wife's P5, so we're taking it to the dealer for their tech to yank it off...after that I'm doing all the changes).

Timing belt interval is 60,000 miles or 105,000 miles, depending on your state. If it breaks, no worries as the P5 (like the Pro) has a non-interference engine. Your pistons and valves will be fine. Your engine will just stop and you'll need a tow. May as well replace the water pump and your accessory belts since the pump will be accessible and your other belts have to be removed anyway.
    I will pass along the sirius stuff as I get it....also no details on retro-fitting either.

but I am expecting the 2004 order guides in a few weeks and I will spill the details.

Rich
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Now that production of Protege5 is coming to an end, when would be the best time to get a great deal on a new 2003? Will July 4th weekend too late? There $1750 manufacturer rebate now; up $250 from previous month. $2000 next month?

I am huge fan of buying on the last year of the production cycle at near used car prices.

BTW, the Mazda3 hatchback (replacement to P5) looks like a mini-minvan.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    BTW, the Mazda3 hatchback (replacement to P5) looks like a mini-minvan.

I have to disagree. It is not the proportions of the Matrix. The best time to buy the current style will be when the Mazda3 wagon hits the showrooms in December.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Heck no!

The M3 looks like a HOT hatch!!! Something we don't usually get to see in NA. I can't wait for it.

Dinu
    You can always play the waiting game to see if it gets better....and I suspect at the end of the the cycle the incentives may get better. But, you risk a lack of selection. If you can be flexable with color and options wait and you may save a few hundred dollars. But if you are specific about what you want...I suggest moving soon. The inventories of P5 in our region are less than avg. Most dealers have kept P5 a little less than usual because of the year end change over.

good luck, you should enjoy the P5 alot.
  • JGT74JGT74 Member Posts: 28
    Just test drove a P5 and I have a couple of questions I'd like some feedback on. Test drove in Houston Tx and found that the a/c was having a hard time blowing really cold air. I realize hard driving could be part of this. For those of you in hot climates, how does the a/c do?

Does the P5 engine use a timing chain or belt (forgot to ask the salesman)? Does it require Premium fuel?

First impression was very very good. Even with the automatic the car felt like it had adequate punch from a stop and for passing. The ability of the car to take bumps comfortably and still be able to be tossed into corners was VERY impressive. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    James,

I was Houstonian (just moved to France recently, and my P5 is crossing the Atlantic and join me here). I have my P5 since June 2001 (bought at Jeff Haas Mazda on I10, just outside Bellway 8). The AC is adequate, not more. I'm not a big fan of cold AC air, so it's all right for me, but it could be problematic for some people.

The P5 has belt, but the engine is non-interfering type, i.e., if the belt breaks, the engine will be OK still.

The P5 does not require premium fuel. 87 (R+M)/2 octane gas will do.

Good Luck,

Bruno
    I live in Durham, NC. Average summer highs here are upper 90s and very humid. I found the A/C on the 2001 Protege ES I had (same engine, A/C, etc) to be just barely adequate in cooling the car in the summer. I think the great looking black interior contributed to the problem. My solution was to tint the windows to 38% all around. I used Formula One's Ultimate 38, a high quality metallic tint which comes with a lifetime warranty. According to http://www.formulaone.com/ the 38 has 47% heat rejection. It made a world of difference, especially after the car had been baking in the sun all day. I have already tinted the windows on my 2003 P5, and the car has had no problems keeping cool on the few 90 degree days we have had so far. My recommendation to anyone living in a hot, humid area is to tint the windows. I plan on tinting the windows on my Miata as well, just as soon as I get the hard top.
    Also don't forget to check the state regulation at http://www.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Bruno
    If the wagon/hatchback used the same cooling unit
    as the sedan on which it is based upon, the cooling will definitely be poor because of increased glass area and bigger passenger volume. If you find A/C on ES is barely adequate, it will be inadequate in a P5. IMO, color of a car makes a huge difference. My black sedan feels like being inside a Pizzeria on hot days.
    If you believe the EPA, both the sedan and wagon have 93 cubic feet of passenger space. The the sedan has 13 cubic feet of cargo space, and the wagon has 20. That is about 7% more space to cool in the wagon than the sedan.

As for glass area, I would be surprised if there was a considerable difference between the sedan and wagon. The wagon had the rear quarter windows which the sedan does not, but the rear window in the wagon is noticeably smaller. I would guess less than 5% increased glass area.

Based on this, I would say the P5 shouldn't be that much worse off compared to the sedan for cooling.

I should add that I am hot natured, so just barely adequate to me may be just fine to another.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/92555/article.- html?tid=edmunds.e.roadtests....Mazda*

A rather disappointing 2nd place tie. I can't understand how people don't love the interior materials. I think they're fantastic.
    Thanks for the link. Yes, I agree. Somehow the P5 scores surprisingly low in the rattles, squeaks, built qualities, interior materials. It's the first time I hear someone complains on those, and IMHO, very unfair. Obviously they have bought an old 2002 model (look at the shifter), may be to save few bucks. Could this car has been extensively used for driving tests before?
    Seems like it could have been run before. Seeing as the PT they used was from their long-term test.

I absolutely disagree with their noise assessment of the Matrix. The one I test drove was loud. The engine whined more than Gilbert Gottfried. I loved the interior features though.

There are a lot of things that don't add up.

The P5 gets a lower engine performance rating than every other vehicle yet, it does better than the 2nd rated ZX5 in every category.

It has a lower suspension rating than the ZX5 yet it kicks ZX5 butt in the slalom.

Whatever. I guess you can't really expect much from a comparo that includes cup holders as an evaluated category.
    Engine: take a look at the RPM at which max hp and max torque are reached for both ZX5 and P5 engines. It's clear that the P5 has a flatter torque curve. The hp of the ZX5 seems to drop quicker. In addition the performance numbers support this fact. How the hell the P5 engine can be then rated as inferior?

Suspension: well, they explain that the ZX5 rides better. So may be the ride quality plays a key role in the rating?

Also the P5 (manual) transmission is a little bit underrated by this review. The P5 has awesome shifter IMHO.

Oh well...
    I LOVE the shifter in the P5. The clutch is super smooth and feel in the shifter is fantastic. They complained about the throw being too long. Hmmmm...I didn't notice.

Like I said, they rated cup holders, whaddya expect?!?!

I know the car isn't perfect but, within its class, I think it's on top.
    I drove P5 and OBS within minutes of each other at the same dealership(they also sells Porches;
    inside the showroom, a butt-ugly Cayenne was parked within three feet of yellow P5 - beauty and the beast :)

P5 shifter and clutch are smooth as butter.
    OBS was definitely more notchier. It had shorter throws though. I can't believe how utilitarian the OBS interior looked. The dreary seat fabric reminded me of the last U-haul truck I drove.
  • slspauldingslspaulding Member Posts: 1
    I have the stock stereo in the 2003 P5. From the looks of this discussion, it looks like there is no way to connect an iPod or anything else to the stereo. How do they connect the CD changer/minidisc options?
    The P5 has the Mazda/Panasonic modular stereo. It uses proprietary connectors to plug in the Changer/Minidisc options. Essentially, you pull out the CD player and plug in the Changer, or you can add a Cassette or Minidisc player in the blank space in the bottom DIN. I can't think of anyway to use these inputs that isn't complex or a kluge. If you have any ideas, please share them with us.
    You would be able to connect a 1/8in stereo jack to the appropriate inputs on the head unit and mount the jack into the filler panel.
  • kpp14kpp14 Member Posts: 62
    My primary vehicle is a 2002 GMC Envoy slt which today is in the shop for routine maintenance. My second car is a 2002 Protege5 which my son calls his (after the lawn is cut)! This little car is awesome! I forgot what its like to take corners at right angles! It makes my truck feel like driving a battle tank. I'll bet I woke up everyone this morning trying to turn off the friggen sound system. And what the hell are those red lights for under the seats?
    My question is: Why is that big hunk of black plastic that fits onto the air intake box sitting in my garage? Does it really increase hp? Whats its absence doing to the car? Why does it have nothing in it? Thankyou for your comments in advance.
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    kpp - I'm not sure since I don't own a P5 but many cars have large plastic resonator boxes on the intake to reduce intake noise. On some cars it is perceived to be a restriction and people remove it for more power. I suspect the only real gain is purely aural.
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    I thought I would post my last trips mpg. I drove a total of 1800 miles on this trip from London Ont, Canada to Linville Falls NC to do some hiking. Its a beautiful area but this year we had nothing but fog and rain for the three days we were there. We made the best of it and put on our rain gair and hiked in the area.

Mpg US Ltr/100
    Tank 1 29.32 8.07
    Tank 2 33.96 6.97
    Tank 3 31.26 7.57
    Tank 4 33.95 6.97
    Tank 5 34.98 6.76
    Tank 6 29.10 8.13
    Avg 32.00 7.39

I have a 5 speed with 50,000kms (30,000 miles) and set the cruise at 75mph for the most part. I still love this car and don't need anything else (ok, maybe a STI as a second car). No major problems except a sticky rear brake caliper which is getting fixed soon (see my note on the problem board).
    Most likely you are referring to the large, flat plastic bit that runs from the front of the car, above the radiator to the air box. The purpose of this is to bring cold air from the front of the car to the air box. Cold air is denser and therefore provides better performance. Removing this will cause hot, thin air from the engine compartment to go into the airbox, and thereby reducing performance. The better solution is to add a cold air intake from someone like K&N or Injen which brings in air from some place like the the wheel well.
    Tank 5 34.98 - this must be canadian mpg, right?
  • dwryterdwryter Member Posts: 87
    Twice last week while idling at long red lights I noticed decreased resistance at the brake pedal, causing it and my foot to move a couple inches closer to the floor. I imagine this might be some sort of brake cylinder problem, but have noticed no other symptoms. Anyone else experience this, or know what's going on? My P5 is 14 months old with 10K miles.

(I posted this to Problems/Solutions, but got no response; though I probably could have been a bit more patient.)
    Do you have an ABS?
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Member Posts: 163
    Believe it or not the values are in US mpg plus this is my new record. This tank was achived while driving through Kentucky and Ohio going north on I75. The weather was perfect as it was sunny with calm winds (one of the few days it seems). Two people, camping gear, roof rack removed and the cruise set at 75mph I actually achive close that many times on my long trips with many tanks in the 32-34mpg range.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The tires on my wife's 2002 Protege5 have about 18K on them and are looking thin. They're the stock Dunlop SP Sport 5000s, 195/50-16s, by the way.

For someone who uses their Protege5 as a mom wagon and commuter car, and whose likelihood of going 110 through the twisties is as likely as livestock becoming airborne, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement tire that will (a) last longer than the Dunlops, and (b) not cost the proverbial arm and leg?

The only tire my local dealer could identify was the same Dunlop, and he wanted $138 apiece for them. I'd like to stay under $100 per tire; preferably less than that.

Any suggestions from the brain trust?

Thanks!

Meade
  • fries1fries1 Member Posts: 12
    Actually I just got back from a trip to Winnipeg and going there I got 38.2 with a bit of a tailwind cruising at about 115-120kms an hour, with 3 big guys in car(avg 6ft and 250lbs) with luggage. coming back I was into a headwind and going a bit faster at about 120-125k/hr and i was down to 34.5 miles per CDN gallon (I think its about about 10% larger than American gallon, but I am not sure.) My P5 is about 7months old with about 10,000 kms on it( 6,000 miles)and was the first road trip a took it on and I was pleasantly surprised by the mileage and the comort and noise level over about a 600km drive.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Yeah, you be my test monkey.

Conversation has me leaning towards the Toyo Proxes TPT but $99 bucks at 1010 tire plus shipping plus mounting seems too much like a pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. Like you, my Toyo dealers are in less than desirable neighborhoods.

I'd also like to use Costco if I can. I haven't stopped in yet to see what chance I've got at an OEM size.

There definitely isn't much. I've given thought to going 205/50 16 and see what happens.

We're running neck and neck though, I thought I could last through summer, but this rainy spring has me thinking otherwise.

And oh yeah....
    "someone who uses their Protege5 as a mom wagon and commuter car, and whose likelihood of going 110 through the twisties is as likely as livestock becoming airborne,"

Guess you've never had a cow fly by you during a tornado! I might not do 110 but I'm still looking for good performance.
    I thought you were going to get the BFG Radial T/A?

Seriously though, the only tires I would consider are another set of the Dumflops or the Toyos if you need all-seasons. I would avoid the Dunlop FM901 and GoodYear Eagle RS-A. If you are willing to consider summer tires, the Kumhos seem to be an OK tire from what I hear, and the price is right.

You could always go Plus 0 and increase your options a little with the likes of the Pirelli P7000 Supersport or the Yoko Avid H4.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    And yes, I DID get the BFG Touring T/A VR4s -- for my 2000 Protege ES, which uses 195/55/15 -- actually I plus sized to 205/55/15 on the recommendation of a few co-Protege owners who have done the same. Got 'em from Costco for less than $80 per tire installed. So far, in a coupla thousand miles, I love 'em. Quiet, smooth-riding and wearing OK so far.

But they don't come in any size even close to the Protege5, unfortunately. And my local Costco couldn't come up with anything, so good luck Raymond.

Roger on the RSAs. After talking to some Focus owners (whose Foci came standard with the Eagle RSA), I believe the general consensus is that they suck.

Meade
This discussion has been closed.