Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Because nobody wants to stare at a bunch of defroster lines all day!

Also, seat heaters make me sleepy...not warm air. Maybe it's just me though.
  • alternatoralternator IndianaPosts: 629
    anymore are probably just a marketing device (lookie, lookie, this car has a rear window defroster) and those lines really need not be visible.

Also, for safety, I believe all vehicles definitely should have heated mirrors as standard equipment. Even Dixie dwellers must come North on occasion and could use them! I have been forced to use a hair drier sometimes to clear my iced-over mirrors.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    are what actually do the defrosting. They need to be there to work. I've seen a new technology they were testing (want to say Mercedes, but I don't remember) where they used tiny lines that weren't visable for the front windshield. Not in production though.
  • meinradmeinrad Posts: 820
    I can't count how many people I see on cold mornings driving down the road with ice covered windows and only about a 6" diameter hole in the windshield to look through. I don't know how they ever make it anywhere.

So I think that the car should have ESP and a whole body heater and just defrost the whole car automatically 20 minutes prior to the owner wanting to leave....
  • alternatoralternator IndianaPosts: 629
    are resistors, but surely invisible resistors are within the range of today's technology. Maybe the cost factor is at work?
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    yep, cost. I'm sure you could use a much smaller line that you could barely see, or just go to a different technology to do it, but it would probably cost a pretty penny.
  • yogwapyogwap Posts: 7
    ford used to have this as an option. a friend of mine had it on his taurus. you could tell if a car had it because from the outside it looked like the windshield had a shiny pink film on it. it didn't affect visibility and worked really well. it was always on but consumed low power so that the windshield would remain clear even when the car was parked. i guess they stopped offering it because it either wasn't popular or it was an expensive option. or maybe they had to stop selling it because it was considered front tinting - i don't know.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    the reason Ford stopped offering the "insta-clear" windshield was the replacement costs. Most people went into convultions when they found out it was $600-1000 to replace the windshield....many insurance companies balked too.
  • cdnp5cdnp5 Posts: 163
    Thanks to yogwap for explaining the Ford windshield, I've always wonder why I saw these on only a very few Fords thinking it was only a bad tint job or something. I would be happy with heated mirrors and a front defroster under the wiper blades as this is where the ice builds up in the winter. I've seen this on some Chrysler mini-vans and I think it could make a big difference. Those who have drove in snow/sleet/ice/rain/snow storms will know what I am talking about.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    I hear ya loud and clear! :D
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Land Rover offers a heated windshield I believe.
  • tincup47tincup47 Posts: 1,508
    All Land Rover Freelanders and Range Rovers come standard with heated windshields, the Discovery has the Heated windshield as part of the Cold Climate Pack option which also includes heated front seats.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Let's get back to discussing subjects that are more specifically related to the Protege5. Don't want to confuse the tourists. Okay? Thanks for your participation.

;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I do like the heated seats alot. They are very nice on a cold winter day. Also, heated mirrors are nice to have even in the rain, so you can clear the water droplets from the glass using the heaters.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    This may be old news for some of you. A short while back, a participant (bjewett) here asked about changes for the 2003 Protege5. Here's a little information from Edmunds' Future Telling section that some of you may find interesting. It states Mazda will offering a choice of either a 2.0-liter or 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine in their 2003 Protege sedan and hatchback. Hope this is helpful. Perhaps someone here has more to add.... Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    I don't see any current commercialized Mazda vehicle equipped with the 2.3l four inline engine.

Bruno
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    The 2.3 will be shared with the new Mazda 6 and will not come until AFTER the redesign.
  • coznefxcoznefx Posts: 35
    I hope a redesign doesn't come too soon. I'm already plenty miffed that my automatic, a mere 3 months old, is obsolete.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Same one that the B2300 truck uses now. It's a Mazda designed engine that is being built in the states for cars built in the US. When it's used in the Pro, it will be built in Japan for those vehicles. It's supposed to be a good motor.
  • limpyboylimpyboy Posts: 26
    Of course Mazda is redesigning the P5! I pick up my new midnight blue P5 on Friday. Dang.

Oh well. Such is the way of modern marketing and manufacturing. I got my 450 Mhz Mac a month before the price fell $500 due to the introduction of a speedier model.

Think of it this way: We'll always be the P5 pioneers!
    OK. So the spec of the 2.3l should be something like

140hp @ 5050rpm
    155 ft.lb @ 4050 rpm

Bruno
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    I would think that it will be tuned for a couple more HP in exchange for some torque. Just my guess though.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I would guess it would have the same output as the new 6. 170 hp
    If you look at the specs, the difference between the two engines are not that big and the new engine couldn't probably rev quite happily as the old one (rpm at max power is quite low.) I'm quite happy with the 2.0l engine: economic, quite, reliable, and peppy (the car jumps without any delay when I step on the gas). Probably Mazda just put a bigger hp engine to be "hp"-competitive in the market and avoid all those complains about under-powered Protege.

Bruno
  • bjewettbjewett Posts: 62
    Well, if this car is gonna be focus-based and built at AAI, you have to wonder about the quality. The focus has been recalled, what, 9 times?

I'm all for more power, but...they aren't transplanting a larger engine into the current P5, I gather.
  • sharonfsharonf Posts: 120
    Well, when I logged on here to day I planned to inform those of you that responded to my question regarding whether dealers would be willing to switch non-polished wheels for polished. I got my answer today that the dealer where the "new, updated" P5 is due to come in would agree to install the moonroof deflector for $151, but would not agree to change the wheels. So I've been debating whether to just take it without the wheels I want and maybe later add some after market wheels.
    NOW>>..I log on to find the 2003's will have a further update!! Ughz....I haven't checked out the link yet....is there any estimation of when they might be coming out? I'm so sick of waiting already!! Got my $$ ready and no car to buy!
    Sharon
    Can someone tell me what the pros and cons would be between the two engines? The 2.3 would be more powerful correct? So why would one opt for the 2.0?
    How do you know the 2.3 engine will be built in Japan and not US?
  • ppk_ppkppk_ppk Posts: 19
    http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/surveys/cmw/index.html

hope u hav cast ur votes... saw the link today on the left bar... - /p~\

This discussion has been closed.