Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• bluong1bluong1 Posts: 1,927
    you guys want to tint the sunroof? Is the main function let the sun ray pass through?
    Yes, I think the gear box can be hard when it's cool, since the transmission oil is more viscous. However the temperature here in Houston is around low 40s, and my P5 still shift all right.

Bruno
  • Speaker Rattle: My car did the same thing after I changed the factory speakers. Upon removing the factory speakers, I noticed a thin sponge collar around the speaker, which pushed up against the panel when it was in place. As an experiment, I loosened the bottom few snaps on the door panel and squeezed in a very soft sponge between the door and panel and the rattle stopped. This is a good way to find out if the panel is causing the rattling.

Moon roof tint: Here in Arizona, I couldn't get any tint shop to tint the moon roof! Every shop told me that the moon roof glass is different than the other windows and the tint would hold in the heat, causing it to break!

I had a CRX with and after market moon roof (without cover option) that I had tinted limo, to cut down on the BBQ effect and had no problems with it breaking. However, after market glass had plenty of room to expand, as it wouldn't sit flush with the roofline.

Difficult Shifts: My CRX was very tough to get into gear in cold weather (I haven't always lived in Arizona). I talked to my dealer and they put in lighter weight oil in the gearbox, which solved the problem. In the summer time, I noticed no adverse effects from the change and drove the car till it had 96,000 miles on it without a problem. I don't know if this is a possibility for the Mazda, but may be worth an inquiry.
  • Thanks for your take on the rattle! So you are saying that the rattle had nothing to do with the speaker, but was rather the door panel banging against the door? Sorry if I'm reading that wrong. Thanks for the info!
  • shriqueshrique Posts: 338
    Most of the time I enjoy having the full sunlight coming through but at some times during the afternoon the angle is just right that it came right in over my sunglases which of course made me close the shade. I like have the shade open and would prefer it in the dead of winter but I don't want to have to wear a hat inside my car.

Most of the cars that I've owned have had a metal mesh kinda like a microwave door instead of a tint. That's why I was wondering if it could be done.
  • Thanks for your take on the rattle! So you are saying that the rattle had nothing to do with the speaker, but was rather the door panel banging against the door? Sorry if I'm reading that wrong. Thanks for the info!
  • mnkyboymnkyboy Posts: 108
    In your previous post, you mention that tinting the moonroof is a must in Louisiana. I live in New Orleans, and Ive been thinking about getting my car tinted. I have a Vivid Yellow Protege 5. Do you know any good shops around the New Orleans area that does tinting? Also, why is is a "must" for the moonroof to be tinted?
    I noticed today that when I shifted into second gear, it was pretty rough. It felt sort of like I was breaking ice :). Today is the first time that its been below 30 degrees in New Orleans this year. I think the cold is doing this, so im not worried.

Anyone else have this problem, or know why this happens?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    There should be no reason why they would not tint the sunroof. I had a 2001 Protege ES with the sunroof (black with blsck interior) and I had the roof tinted to cut down on heat. The shop charged me an extra $30 to do it (I think it was somewhere around there) and never had any problems. My tint band on the top of the windshield, however, did peel off a little.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks- For additional feedback, you may also want to copy/paste your vehicle problems/annoyances in our Mazda Protege5 Problems & Solutions discussion. Also, while you're there, look for a direct link to Edmunds' Maintenance Guide where you can look up Manufacturer Recommended Service Schedules, Recalls, and TSBs (technical service bulletins). Good luck in finding a solution.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    The entire gear system is inside an oil fluid (not the same than the engine oil), and designed to work optimally at a specific oil viscosity. Usually the viscosity is reached when oil is warm up (by friction and heat transfer from the engine). The oil viscosity decreases with temperature. That means that, when it's cold, the oil is more viscous, or thicker. That's why the shifting is more difficult. If it becomes problematic, you can change the transmission fluid with lighter oil as phoenixmp5 suggested.
  • elec3elec3 Posts: 160
    I had an aftermarket sunroof installed into my Pro5. The dealer did it for me because he sold the black Pro5 I wanted and I had to settle for a silver one he got in that had everything but the roof. He agreed to get an aftermarket one put in for the same as the list option for a factory roof. IMHO this is really the way to do it as the sunroof I ended up getting is very high quality - the shop the dealer chose works mostly on BMW and Mercedes. My roof has 3 "preset" buttons, one for vent, one for full open, and one for close as well as arrow buttons to open it partially. It also has a deep tint to it which is a necessity in southern New Mexico. If I really want sunshine I just open the roof, but I can't imagine having a sunroof that is not tinted. I really wish I could tint the rest of my car but at the moment there are two things stopping me - the first is that I don't have the money and the second is that my car's registration is Illinois which has some very strict tint regulations.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I had my black Protege tinted at Maryland legal limits (35% light, all windows) and it still cooled the interior considerably. I know a friend who had her windows tinted dark, and didn't care about the laws here in Md. She was pulled over, and the cops stripped her tint right there on the spot! Boy, was she mad!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Police feel safer when they can see inside, for obvious reasons. If you have tint, open the windows and make sure your hands are where they can see them.

-juice
    You state that "this is really the way to go". Do you mean that people should not get a moonroof as an option, then get an aftermarket? I would have to disagree. Aftermarket sunroofs have far more problems than factory installed.

I just want to clarify this, so someone wont take a aftermarket over a factory installed.

In your case, yes, its better to get the dealer to do it, rather than someone like Pep Boys. As for the controls of the factory moonroof, the factory has (2) buttons, one to tilt, the other to open/close. The factory "moon" roof is not a "sun" roof. A sunroof doesnt have glass, a moonroof does. My Toyota Cressida had a sunroof, and it was just the roof panel sliding, rather than a piece of glass.
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    We use the same feature brand after-market moonroof you mentioned. Not only have we had it installed in P5's but Tributes also. IMHO the aftermarket roof is nicer than the factory model.
    Rich
  • Yes, the rattle in my car was caused by the door panel, NOT the speaker.
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    I use mobil 1 synthetic transmission oil. It seems to help smooth shifting in the winter.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I've owned two aftermarket moonroofs, and several friends have had them too. None ever leaked or had any problem whatsoever. The aftermarket has come a long, long way.

I bet the same folks that supply Mazda also supply the aftermarket (ASC in my case), so in many cases we're talking about the same product.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.