Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Funny you should mention that. A thread was just started on the Vortex Car Lounge about the Elantra GT and I posted that a big knock against the Hyundai is value down the road. Is the money saved when new enough to offset the hsitorically low resale values of Hyundais in general? Do the added luxo-touches of the GT matter a lot to you? There are lot's of questions that a buyer has to ask themselves far beyond just "Is the Hyundai a *good* car?"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/vwbb/Forum1/HTML/018656.html

I love my Passat, but I am downsizing next time. I would MUCH prefer a Prortege ES 2.0 Sedan or Protege5 over ANY 2.0 equipped VW. I don't think that VW's cheapest offerings compete well with the Japanese competition.

Now if I can get a 1.8T Golf 4-door for the price of a Pro5... with the new for '02 4/50k b2b VW warranty? Well, that's another story. But it looks liek VW is discontinuing the 4-door Golf with 1.8T.

Again, just my opinion.

• Options
    hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    Really? That would make the 1.8T worth it to me. I hate the premium fuel, but it really represents fairly short money overall. I'm dissapointed about the 4-dr, though. That's what I would want. This would be in addition to my Passat - my personal dinghy.

The P5 seems interesting. I'll just hide and watch to see how build quality an resale urn out.

Thanks for the thoughts.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Did the whole drill looking at and driving everything from Civics to Corollas to Echos to Golfs to Proteges and Pro-5. Went with an automatic Elantra GT hatch with moonroof, ABS and traction control plus a few more goodies for $16K flat. Just got it so I can't speak about it much other than to say it is quite comfortable to sit in. The driver's seat, legroom, and center arm rest are much better IMHO than the Pro-5. Better height adjustment, lumbar support, great leg room and left foot rest and a real center arm rest with 2 levels of storage that isn't 2 inches off the floor. The interior looks anything but cheap. This car, equipped this way, cost me about $2k more than a GLS sedan with package 5. For that, you get the hatch, wider tires, Michelins, alloy wheels, leather, fog lights, AM/FM/CD 6 speaker stereo, the purple VDO backlit dash with trip computer, and 4 wheel discs on a sport suspension. Rear seats fold flat. Seemed well worth the difference over the sedan. Is the Mazda a better built car? I think so. Will the Hyundai hold up? We'll see.
  • Options
    All '02 VW's will have a standard 4 year, 50k miel bumper-to-bumper warranty and a 5 year, 60k mile Powertrain warranty. No more "free" services, not that'll I'll miss them given the utter incompetance of my local dealer.

>>>>><<<<<<<<<

The Protege's long-term reliability and resale value are hsitorically very high.
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Isn't it something like 10 years, 100,000 miles?
  • Options
    It is.. Hyundai has a FANTASTIC warranty.

* Basic: 5 yr. / 60,000 mi.
    * Drivetrain: 10 yr. / 100,000 mi.
    * Roadside: 5 yr. / Unlimited mi.
    * Rust: 5 yr. / 100,000 mi.

My point was not that VW has a better warranty then Hyundai, it doesn't. My point was that VW has finally upped thier pitiful 2/24 warranty.
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    Dear all,

The 2L engine of the P5 sale elsewhere in the world is slighty different than the one in US and Canada. Here are both specifications of the 5sp manual version:

US&canada
    ---------
    Power:130hp@6000rpm
    Torque 187Nm@4000rpm
    Compression ratio 9.1
    Max speed 195km/h (122miles/h)
    Acceleration 0-100km/h 10.4s

Austria, German, UK, Australia, ... (?)
    --------------------------
    Power 130hp@6000rpm
    Torque 174Nm@4500rpm (126 foot x pounds)
    Compression ration 9.7
    Max speed 203km/h (127miles/h)
    Acceleration 0-100km/h 9.7s

The gear ratios are the same. I am a little disappointed with the performance of the US/Canda version, giving the fact the its larger max torque is reached at lower rpm. It's very frustrating. Any comment?

Best wishes,

Bruno from Houston
  • Options
    The torque should read as
    18.7Nm and 17.4Nm!
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 10.4 seconds? Sounds like who ever did that test didn't know how to drive. How could the ES 2.0L be 1.5 seconds *slower* 0-60 mph, than the previous 1.8L ES? Car and Driver tested the 99-00 version ES 1.8L 0-60 and it pulled it off in 8.9 seconds. Neither of these times are fast, but I guess (know) that the driver of the ES 2.0L that pulled the 10.4 second 0-100 km/h was driving it VERY conservatively, since both the 1.8L car and 2.0L car require a 2nd-3rd shift before 100 km/h.
  • Options
    Those numbers are given by the canadian mazda webpage (http://www.mazda.ca) and german one (http://www.mazda.de).

Bruno
  • Options
    grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    If we are talking price range comparison between Hyundai and the P5, the Sonata is an alternative. It is obviously not a 'sporty' vehicle yet it does have some decent standard features and is relatively quick. I test drove both the Sonata and the Protege about a year ago and it was a tough decision: the smaller, sportier Mazda or the more powerful, larger Sonata? Given, different types of cars but both were at similar price points. As mentioned previously, I went with a Frontier. Now that I'm in the market again, any thoughts? The Sonata now offers a more powerful engine and so does the P5 along with the 'cool' hatch.
  • Options
    Just got a new automatic Elantra GT. Definitely worth a look and a test drive. $16K loaded with ABS, traction control, and roof. As to the Sonata, the redesigned 02 should be out by the end of the summer. Either get a great deal on an 01 or wait. The new one is supposed to have a sportier, more aerodynamic look to it. Hyundai is also getting ready to roll out 5 speed automatics and 6 speed manuals but the models and model year introductions remain in question. Good luck!
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I agree with Malty, every one should buy and enjoy the vehicle of their choice. Nonetheless, I guess I have more pride than some others. I would never be caught owning a KIA, Daewoo or Hyundai. I'm a car enthusiast and enjoy the pride of NEW car ownership. I truly enjoy when people stop me and ask about my car. The Korean makes are still perceived as disposable cars by most folks. My 2 cents, from what I've read and heard, Hyundai has turned the corner, KIA still builds questionable product, and Daewoo is in deep trouble and their vehicles are unproven in North America. BTW, I think this is a Mazda PRO-5 discussion, lets get back on topic. If you wish to participate in a "Comparo discussion" start one!

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    zcmanzcman Member Posts: 17
    I am interested in hearing about everyone's ownership experience with the Protege5. I bought mine on 6/9 and currently have aproximately 500 miles. It is a red 5sp with $295 of minor options(floor mats, wheel locks, cargo net, and cassette player). Got 28 mpg on first tank about 75/25% highway miles. Taking it easy for the first 600 miles per owner's manual. The ride is quite firm and the steering is very responsive. My only complaint is the high road noise. I think the tires are the major component of the road noise and the thin carpet and padding. Opinions ?
  • Options
    grubbs1grubbs1 Member Posts: 69
    Mpgman and zcman, what is the RPM and noise level when cruising at around 75. I do a fair amount of traveling and I'm afraid of getting tired of a constant noise that comes with driving at high RPM's. Is the auto quieter in that respect? I'm dying to go to town to test drive for myself in about two weeks but until then, I'll bother you with these inquiries.
  • Options
    grubbs1: We should really take this to the Elantra board, but in answer to your question:

I drove a rented 01 Elantra GLS for a week. At 80 mph, the tach sat around 2900-3000 rpms on the automatic. With only 40 miles on my GT, it will be some time before I let it out. Not sure what the gearing is for the 5 speed. I did drive a 5 speed GT and thought the manny tranny was superb, but the dealer didn't know when he would get a pewter one with the ABS and traction control package and I really needed wheels bad. It's possible the initial batch of 5-speeds will not have any packages to hold the cost down. Not sure. Maybe depends on geography. As to noise levels, I thought the car was fairly quiet. The engine is rather "throaty" ---not sure if that is a word---under full acceleration, but the cabin is nice and quiet when cruising. This is not the most refined engine or drivetrain in the world but you get what you pay for.

I really liked the Pro-5 but didn't want to pay the price at this time. I do a lot of driving, and was also scared away by the high cost of the fast wearing low profile tires. I also felt just a bit "boxed" in by the design, and could not get really comfortable in the driver's seat. The GT has more legroom and better seat adjustments, and I really like the feel and slipperiness of the leather interior. Just my opinion. Thought I'd give Hyundai a shot.
  • Options
    It is around 3400 rpm at 75. I'm in the Dallas,Tx area so I am using Ac all the time. Even with the AC going and the CD playing at a moderate volume level the road noise is always present. I didn't notice the road noise when test driving probably because I was more attuned to the handling, performance, etc at the time. Doany other owners of Protege5 or ES think the road noise is high?
  • Options
    In contrast to the road/tire noise, the engine and transmission noise is quiet and refined. Even with taking it 'easy' for the first 600 miles I have found the engine easy reving and smooth.
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    With the present XG300, Sante Fe, Elantra GT, forthcoming V6 Tiburon, and redesigned Sonata. No one will be looking down on Hyundai. Heck, I get questioned on my 2000 Elantra. "That's a Hyundai?" It is hard for me to imagine an owner of a XG300 being ashamed? The interior and equipment is comparable to cars costing much more.

The Protege5 is sweet. But is it worth upwards of 19k? Or will the price drop once there is more availability?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The only thing that bothers me in my 2001 Protege ES is the wind noise. Road noise is a little high too, but wind is the major culprit.
  • Options
    kchandydogkchandydog Member Posts: 10
    Don't have a Pro 5, but a lot of reviewers and posts indicate a problem with noise. One major complaint is the wind noise coming from the cross bars on the roof rack, which can be taken off. (Look up about 20-30 posts). You might try that to see if it helps.

With respect to the Pro 5 vs. the Elantra GT, anybody have a good comparison concerning the space behind the rear seat. The Pro 5 doesn't have much, but I haven't had a chance to look at an Elantra GT up close.
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Hello. I just bought my Pro5 a week ago. Its red with the 5 speed with essentially no options (no ABS, side air bags, etc). The 36 mo/ 1.9% APR was one of the main hooks for me. Unfortunately I have not been able to drive it this week because of the annoying whistling noise at high speeds that seems to come from the windshield. I took it back to the dealer and they are going to try to replace the weatherstripping around the windshield. The scary thing is that they may end up breaking the windshield and they are not sure if they can get a new one yet (2002 model and all).

I have not been able to drive it enough to get any MPG data but I am hoping for the high 20's / low 30's. The sound system is OK (both the CD and the cassette player). Except for the annoying whistling it rides pretty quite, especially when compared to my 2001 Honda CRV. Handling is very good and I think that with the 5-speed that the acceleration is quite good. I was impressed with how the 2.0L engine pulled the car up hills @ 70 mph with the cruise on. Hills that my Honda has to downshift for (auto trany) the Pro5 runs up without any problem in 5th.

I asked the body shop at the dealer if they thought the sound could be from the roof rack and apparently they have some fancy sound meter and did not find the sound coming from above but in the front (by the windshield).

Hope this little bit helps some prospective buyers.

PS: I was in the market for a Tribute or an Escape but they were too expensive. Maybe after a few more years.
  • Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Breaking the windshield?
    The windshield is different from the sedan's?
    We need maltb again.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    A genie in a bottle?

Same windsheild, no worries thel. It's not uncommon for a glass panel to break on removal most windsheilds are installed with a sealant of some type that is near impossible to cut (due to access). Good luck.

:)
  • Options
    Does anybody know what are exactly modifications brought on the 2L engine of the US and canadian P5 compared to the rest of the world?

Thanks,

Bruno
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I get the "whistling" from top edge of the windshield of my 99LX. I find it's loudest between 60 and 65mph. Seems that's when the air turbulence reaches some frequency that naturally resonates off the windshield or its weatherstripping. I either ignore it or drive at a different speed.

I suppose Mazda could cure that with a different profile on the weatherstripping. How successful (i.e. leak-free) are post-factory windshield changes?
  • Options
    magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    I hate it when a question is asked that you all spend many keystrokes to cover. So I apologize if I'm doing this. The question is: Can you buy the P5 on the S-Plan? I just drove the P5 and was pretty impressed even though it had an automatic (yuck!). The experience was very positive. The only negative was the feeling of a tighter space versus the ES, more closed in and perhaps, darker. There's not a lot of cargo benefit from the P5 from the ES, but not every Joe will be driving one of these as with Civics (double yuck).

Someone mentioned previously about Ricers heading on over. It happened while I was in the showroom. A guy coming over from Honda (triple yuck) to get a P5. Oh, I guess everyone wants to zoom now. It's fun.
  • Options
    csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Bought our Black Pro5 two weeks ago, with auto, moonroof and ABS. We've driven it over 1000 miles now. So far so good, the wind noise from the roof rack isn't noticable until about 75-80mph, which we rarely does anyway here in SoCal traffic; no whisting noise from the windshield either. The road/tire noise didn't bother us at all. I've already known that a car with low profile tires like this will get some kind tire/road noise; no biggie. This car is so much fun to drive that my wife wants equal share of driving the Pro5 to work. The built quality of this car really impressed both of us. The sound of the door closing is unlike any other car in this class; it's very solid. Everyone of my colleagues at work really likes the styling and the interior designs. The only thing that we thought need improvements is the sound system.
    Our first tank of gas only getting about 22mpg, then it improves to 24.5mpg on our last tank of gas; this is under very warm SoCal weather and AC on all the time; in traffic too. We'll see much improvements in gas milage we can get as we get more miles on this car. One other thing that my wife noticed that I didn't is that some part of the seats and door panels used a materials that feels like suede; is it? Very nice indeed.
    One last note, almost everyone who drives a Lexus IS300 will take a peek at our Pro5; wonder why :-

zoom zoom
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Just feel a bit nosy about how much you fellow Pro5 owners paid for yours. Mine has an optional cassette player and floor mats bringing the MSRP to $17,045. I paid $16,435 ($500 over invoice) and got the 36 mo/ 1.9% APR and a pretty decent amount for my trade (97 Merc Sable GS with low miles). BTW I live in Missouri USA.
  • Options
    aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    silver pro5, moonroof/abs/alarm/cargo-net/floormats: MSRP $18650, i paid $17485 (200 over invoice, but that includes $400 graduate cash back).. 36 month/1.9APR

ordered it May 25, don't expect delivery until late July. (i don't think there are many manual transmision + moonroof + abs protege5's around.. anyone see one yet?)

-Mark
  • Options
    thanks for the very informative owner reviews guys! please keep them coming.

I noticed a couple people unexcited about the current p5 audio system..

from previous discussions on this list, I am under the impression the speaker arrangment is as follows in the p5.. can anyone who has upgraded their p5 speakers verify?

front doors -> 5x7/6x8's
    back doors -> 5 1/4's

thank you as always
  • Options
    pro5girliepro5girlie Member Posts: 20
    Finally, someone in my predicament. I ordered on May 29, I think. They kept upping the time it would take to come in. First it was June, then late June, now probably July. This is a pain, cause csuftitans has exactly what I want, and he got his 2 weeks ago. I understand we're on opposite sides of the country, but still! :)

Oh well, we'll just have to be patient...
  • Options
    csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    Hang in there Aimee. the car is definitely worth the wait; you'll see. BTW, you should ask the dealership about your car's VIN # if possible; this way you'll know for sure that the car with that VIN is yours and that they won't sell it to others even if they offerred more. Good Luck!

BTW, our Pro5 also has the perimeter alarm; what does this alarm does? Isn't all Pro5 comes with alarm of some kind?

zoom zoom
  • Options
    tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    At least in Canada, the only standard alarm is the panic button. This is on the keyless remote. If you press this button, the horn will honk and the lights will flash until you hit another button.

If the perimeter alarm is the same as in Canada, it is just a noisemaker. Since absolutely no one listens to noisemakers here, I can't really see the point.

Nomi
  • Options
    pro5girliepro5girlie Member Posts: 20
    I've been told that my car is going into production Monday. I've asked before about the vin#, so as soon as he gets it, he'll let me know. I didn't order the perimeter alarm, though. It doesn't do a whole lot, from what my salesman told me. Like what tocan said, just a noisemaker. I'll wait and get one put on later. Thanks for the encouragement. This is my first real car that I've paid for. My mom just finished paying off my old one. (Long story).
  • Options
    All it does is sound the horn and flash the lights when a door is opened. withoutthe perimeter alarm the protege only has power locks and a panic button, no alarm system. There is a little known, optional motion sensor(0000-8F-C16) if you desire as well.

Go Titans

• Options
    Typically a VIN is only assigned when the vehicle is built so that they stay in chronological order. Therefore, the dealer wouldn't have that info yet. If the dealer says it's being built next week, they should be able to give it to you then.

• Options
    Hi all,

I have heard few complains about the wind noise. My Pro5 has a wind deflector mounted in front of the moon-roof, and I haven't noticed any anoying noise from the roof or top of the winshield. In fact, yesterday I drove with both stereo and, AC off, and all windows closed. I was listening careful to the noise, and I heard more noise come from the exterior mirror than anything else. Otherwise I like very much the car. Build quality, handling and breaking are particularly impressive. The engine could have 20 or more hp for more fun, but 130 is enough IMHO. What I dislike are:
    1) the 5sp gearshift could be placed a little bit forward (1/2 in), since my arm is touching the seat. I'm 5'6 (1m67), and hope that a taller driver does not have the same issue.
    2) the speakers are not so good.
    3) I prefer the door look to be located on the side of the pannel instead of being on top of it (like the Focus). I cannot put my arm comfortably on the window.

Best wishes,

Bruno
  • Options
    bigfish2178bigfish2178 Member Posts: 14
    maxilla, It depends on the individual dealer whether or not they will sell you a p5 on the -plan. One dealer in my area has the p5 I want but he wants $300 over msrp. The dealer I am buying the car from will give me the car at -plan pricing but will not have it until the 1st week of July. For me, saving $1800 or so is worth the wait.
  • Options
    actually it doesn't look too bad :)..

photo submitted by Hunter, on the protegetech mailing list.

-M

• Options
    rinarmrinarm Member Posts: 10
    I purchased a Classic Red Pro5 with M5, Moonroof, ABS, and floor mats, two weeks ago. Runs and handles great. The car did not come with the perimeter alarm or 6 CD-changer which I am interested in adding. The Mazda literature indicates these accessories can be added after delivery. The word "modular" appears frequently in the literature which I assume can be done by the dealer or yourself. Since the service manuals listed in the owners manual are currently not available from Mazda, my delima is information on how to install these accessories which are currently available.

In the case of the perimeter alarm, since the system uses the existing door switches, it's implied that this is merely the addition of a module. If so, does anyone know it this is true and where is the module installed?

For the 6 CD changer, the accessories literature for the Protege which appears to have the same radio/CD arrangement shows a graphic of the front panel removed from one side with a second graphic showing the internal radio components. I assume this would give access to removing the existing single CD player and replacement with the changer. I get very worried about viewable panels be "popped" out and damaged. Does anyone know how these radio panels are removed and the components replaced?

I guess I could have the accessories installed by the dealer, but then I wouldn't enjoy learning more of the mystique how the vehicle is put together.
  • Options
    newmp5ownernewmp5owner Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought a midnight blue MP5 about 2 weeks ago. We both love it. We also own a Lexus LX450 and a 1990 Nissan 300Zx so we are used to both sporty and luxury cars, but we are really enjoying the little MP5. We are good friends with some people at the Mazda dealership so we got the dealers employee discount,(can't complain about that). We bought it for a little get around town car, and to keep the miles off the gas eating Lexus. Nothing but good things to say about our new addition!
  • Options
    silverhatchsilverhatch Member Posts: 7
    I am selling my 93 Civic DX hatch back and am still going back and forth between the Jetta Wagon and the Pro5. Bottom line is I can get EVERYTHING I want (auto, power, moon roof, abs, CD) in the Pro5 for about $2,500 less than the Jetta -- and I get a 4.9 APR (5yrs). I love the sporty look of the Pro5 too. (sounds like I've made up my mind). I'm leaning towards the silver, and would just love to know how all of you pro5 owners came to your decision. This will be my only vehicle. I'm looking for the reliability and mileage of the honda, but added features without breaking the wallet. Also: What have you experienced, or learned about parts/service for the Mazda?
  • Options
    kosikosi Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone. I am new to this message board and wanted to say hi to everybody. After trading in my 2000 Honda Civic Si coupe for a silver Protege5 last week I can say that I am glad about my decision. I along with some of you need some aftermarket parts so that we can outrun the MP3. I was thinking of installing the Racing Beat muffler onto my Protege5. Do you think it will fit?
  • Options
    kosikosi Member Posts: 9
    My mother owns a 95 MPV and my brother-in-law owns a 99 Miata. I own a 2002 Protege5 and we three we really are satified with our purchases. My mother's MPV has not given her any problems whatsoever. From talking to friends and other people I have heard nothing but good things about Mazda service. I switched over from Honda because Mazda offers more features, better warranty, roadside assistance, and better prices. I was a hardcore Honda man until I realized that I can get the same and often times more with Mazda than Honda at a better price.
  • Options
    phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    When I bought my MP5, the dealer offered me a Code Alarm system In place of the junky Peremiter Alarm. It plugged into the factory socket and even uses the standard Mazda remotes, but adds Valet, Glass Break Censor, Ignition Kill and a Shock Censor. They were asking $600, but settled for $250 (what it's worth on the street). They still made money and I have the peace of mind of having it covered by the vehicles warranty.

Your dealer may have a similar system available.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    That is the same muffler that comes on the MP3. It will fit and it will fit good.
  • Options
    Like you, I have only one car. My wife and I decided to downsize from a 4Runner and were looking for the biggest amount of space possible in a small car. We considered the Jetta and decided we didn't want to pay for the premium fuel for the 1.8T, the TDI was out of the question, the 2.0 is a gutless wander and the VR6...although a rocket, wouldn't give us the gas milage we were looking for.

Still debating the premium fuel issue, I was looking at the Jetta again over the Memorial day weekend, when I stumbled across the MP5. I drove it and knew it was perfect for our needs. The German car enthusiasts for saying this probably blast me for saying this, but In my opinion the MP5 drives every bit as nice as the Jetta.

Once I read the Protege Dx, LX and ES owners reviews, my decision was clear. It didn't take long for my wife to like it either, once she saw it. We've been driving it for over a month now and I'm yet to find a defect. The workmanship on this car is incredible. I'm a first time Mazda buyer and none of my previous Toyota's or Honda's were put together this well.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Interesting, I thought I remember reading that under the contract, the MP3 parts will not be available from Racing Beat.

• Options
    The rear speakers are 6 1/2's. Be carefull what brand you choose as the factory speakers are only a 3 hole pattern.
This discussion has been closed.