Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• All the dealers in New Jersey say p5 arrival = last week in May / 1st week in June. And yes here too it seems I know more about the car than the dealer :)..
    The other day I was translating option codes for one on the phone :)..

They also said they weren't sure if I could get the 1.9APR for 3 years on the p5. Anyone else have any luck with that?

Thanks
  • hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    Call Mazda 800-222-5500 (courtesy of maltb) and report here any information, assuming Mazda itself knows.
  • zcmanzcman Posts: 17
    Freeman Mazda and Big Billy Barrett Mazda both have the P5 in the showroom. Freeman said more arrive the last week of this month.
  • thanks for the info.. good number to know.

ok I called and after listening to the 'zoom zoom' song for about 20 minutes they told me the 24 and 36 month 1.9 APR is available on the protege5 and can be combined with the graduate program's $400 cash back. All she said was that you would need excellent credit to qualify for the 1.9 APR.

She also said expect the p5 on the east coast within the next month.

I never heard the full version of the zoom song before :).. pretty groovy.. hehe..

ciao
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Sorry about my confusion. The red painted brace I saw under the hood of a Pro-5 is a strut tower brace. The salesman called it a torsion bar...but then again he thought the white faced gauges came on the 2.0 LX too. The brace stands out because everything else under the hood is black.
  • rsparrowrsparrow Posts: 60
    This one from the Detroit News...Nice interior shot.

http://www.detnews.com/autosweekly/0105/16/lead/lead.htm

• hkchanhkchan Posts: 420
    The steering wheel (as well as the pedals and shifter) shown is the MP3's, not Protege5's.

Something odd. Various sources show the following vehicle heights.
    Protege5 57.8"
    Protege 55.5"
    Focus 56.3"
    Focus Wagon 53.9"

Don't these look odd?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    You notice, at the bottom of the linked article above, they have the price/horsepower breakdown. Notice the Protege5 is the cheapest car with the most horsepower among them? ZOOM ZOOM
  • tmundartmundar Posts: 70
    The information that they had for the Focus Wagon was wrong in their comparison. The Focus Wagon had the 130 HP Zetec engine as standard.

I also found the following line a little insulting: "Mothers of Protege5 buyers should approve of the car's ride and handling." I wonder what that is supposed to mean?

The price per horsepower ratio won't be in the Protege5's favor for long, with the Elantra GT coming out with more HP for less money, and the Toyota Matrix will be available with a 180 HP engine.

Of course, people don't buy cars based on horsepower alone, or the Chevrolet Camaro would be far more popular than it is.

Tom
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    The interior shot in that article is of the MP3. The Pro5 does not have the silver accents on the steering wheel nor the shifter... actually, the Pro5's accents have a bit more of a bronze tint to them rather than the silver the sedans (ES and MP3) have in them. Also, the Pro5 does not have that Kenwood MP3 player in, rather the Mazda double-DIN modular AM/FM/CD.

It would be interesting to see how that Toyota 1.8L DOHC VVTi-L 180hp engine does in the Vibe/Matrix. My experience with the Celica GT-S, which uses the same engine, is that it has very little power until you hit 6,000rpm. The torque peak of that engine is 5lb/ft less than the Pro5 at 300rpm higher than the Pro5's redline, and 2,800rpm higher than the Pro5's torque peak! It moves pretty good if you take it up to 8,000rpm every shift, but who wants to drive like that? Also, I can't imagine performance with the automatic will be that great, since I'm sure the Matrix/Vibe will be heavier than the Celica. Either way, it should be interesting to see a comparison test of all the new "wagons".
    The Focus does come with the 130-hp engine standard. That is a change for 2001. Forgot about that one. So it's equal to the P5 in horsepower/torque then (almost, anyway).

You say there are bronze accents inside the P5? I have a 2001 ES, and love the silver accents on the dashboard and near the shifter though. Bronze sounds like yucky.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    I have a 1999 Protege ES sedan. I took a close, long look at the Protege5 last night. I didn't drive it, but here's my more evolved thoughts:

Either the roof/headliner is lower in the front, or the seats are higher. Where in my sedan I have the driver seat raised, I had to lower them in the Pro5. Legroom seems identical to the sedan. The new 3-spoke leather-wrapped Nardi steering wheel is quite nice. I prefer the cruise control stalk in the sedans instead of the Ford-like buttons on the Pro5, but at least the buttons are large with positive engagement feels, rather than Ford's "did I press it" feel.

The back seat seems to have lost about 2-3" of legroom. However, I did notice that I had more under-seat foot room than the sedans, so perhaps the front seats are higher. Headroom in the rear was about 2" greater than the sedan's, which was a welcome surprise. Rear seat-back angle is nicely raked, although still a bit too vertical for my taste, but comfortable. The rear doors now have lower pockets molded in them, a nice touch.

The rear cargo area is definitely more narrow than the sedan's trunk and not as deep. This is where the Pro5's shorter length comes from. You can tell that the rear overhang (the distance from the rear tire to the end of the bumper) is noticably shorter. The rear seat bottom cushion pulls out and flips forward. The rear seat back folds forward, but the headrests must be removed and stowed (unlike the MPV and Tribute, no place is provided for the headrests that I noticed). The load floor is fairly flat with the seats folded. The cargo cover easily removes and goes up and down with the tailgate. The tailgate opens tall enough for a 6-footer.

Overall, the Pro5 provides more maximum cargo room than the sedan, but the sedan has more cargo room when compared with the rear seats up. The lighter color of the '99-'00 ES sedan (very light gray top, light gray bottom) gives the sedan a larger, airier feel inside. The dark charcoal of the Pro5 can feel a bit claustrophobic in the back seats. Haven't driven one yet, but if it drives anywhere near the sedan or better, it's a definite keeper. In this case function follows form, but man, what a form it is!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    ...had the same interior as the ES. I'll have to take a second look, but from what I remember they weren't different. Are you sure it wasn't that bright yellow blinding you?

:)
    I was kinda upset that I didn't wait for the P5 to come out before I bought my 2001 ES. Now after hearing your comparison, I don't feel that way. I have a moonroof, and I am almost touching the roof of the sedan. I probably wouldn't have been able to comfortably drive the 5 anyway.
  • lszabolszabo Posts: 8
    I am 6'4" and there was about 2" head clearance when I was sitting in the Protege5 (with moon roof).
    I currently own a 95 Mazda 323 and I get the same clearance, doesn't bother me at all.
    But one thing is sure, the Protege5 in its class, offers the most leg room.
    I gave up on the 2001 Nissan Sentra, although this car offers a LOT MORE for the same price, because of the fact that I do not fit in it.
  • carczarcarczar Posts: 23
    I saw the Protege5 sitting in a dealer's lot yesterday and I must say it's a nice design, especially the rear. It fits in with the "zoom zoom" image. It looks a little like Pontiac Vibe, though.
    I would choose the Pro5 over the PT cruiser any day.
  • tocantocan Posts: 118
    Well, I did it! I test drove the Protege5 and bought one. Now hopefully they will find the red automatic with air conditioning and no moonroof that I want quickly. But with over 10 dealers in the region, there shouldn't be too much of a problem unless Mazda only made cars with moonroof. I also got the 6 CD changer, and the security system.

I used X-plan (the Canadian equivalent of S-plan). I called up the closest dealer, asked if they would accept it, he checked with his sales manager, and told me yes! The deal isn't as good as in the U.S. but I am really happy. It took slightly less than 2 hours from the test drive until I left, but part of that was trying to figure out how to do an X-plan sale since they had never done one before, and partly because the sales manager was busy, and I had to wait. But basically, it was pretty painless.

Nomi
  • Congrats!! wishing you all the best with your new ride :).. Hopefully I will be joining you as a p5 owner soon. Please keep us up to date on the pros and cons of the car once you start driving it.. It would be very helpful to me at least, hopefully to others here as well..
    ciao
    -Mark
  • pocahontaspocahontas Posts: 802
    Lood forward to hearing more about your Protege5.... Happy Motoring! ;-)

Pocahontas

Host

Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• iamziamz Posts: 542
    I am new to this scene, so "hello" to everyone. Anyway, I myself ordered a new P5 a couple of weeks ago with ABS, moon roof, and an automatic. I drive over 25K miles a year and at my age (36), prefer to let the car shift for me. Besides, the automatic in this car has gotten very good reviews.

I ordered it in yellow which according to the dealer, is going to be hard to come by even though yellow is Mazda's flagship P5 color. They told me Mazda was only planning on shipping 150 yellow P5s this year.

Can anyone confirm this?

It's going to be a long summer since the dealer told me not to expect delivery prior to late July or early August.
This discussion has been closed.