Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege5

Comments

• Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I don''t even bother asking.

It *might* create some tension and that's the last thing I want during negotiations. This is assuming it's just a sticker and not a screwed on badge ro something.

A little Goo-Gone and that sticker is off in minutes when I get home..
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I would never let them put one on that is screwed on. At least the stickers come off with a little care. I can't believe how many dealers get mad that I don't want it. They are not paying me to advertise for them. Especially if I end up hating my experience there the last thing I want is for someone to be behind me at a stoplight, see where I got the car and go there themselves. I don't mind the liscense plate holder too much, at least if they make me mad it's easy to replace.
    I seem a few tastefully done stickers that almost look like they belong there, but most are so out of place and usually not even straight.
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    ...are supposed to be included with every new Mazda vehicle, applied or not. If the dealership doesn't have any, it's because they didn't order any once they're initial supply ran out. At John Hine in San Diego, every Mazda vehicle has a Zoom-Zoom sticker and it has been like that continuously since the Zoom-Zoom campaign started. Other Mazda dealers in the area have "run out" of stickers, which is funny since John Hine Mazda outsells all of the dealers in the county combined. I even have a pair of Zoom-Zoom stickers I got for my '99 ES I bought from them back in February of 1999. All I had to do was ask for some...

Dealer logos and emblems... They seem to be an east-coast and mid-west thing. Here in California, I have yet to see a dealership that applies their logo or emblem to the body of the vehicle. Usually, it is just the license plate brackets, the license plate filler (hard paper sheet shaped like a license plate), and sometimes a small sticker (example: John Hine VIP Customer 1" x .75") at the base of the windshield. I don't mind those, but I would never allow the emblem or logo on the actual sheetmetal of the car!
  • Options
    boopoppaboopoppa Member Posts: 48
    has anyone found clear/altezza style rear light lenses for the pro5? has anyone lowered their p5? has anyone done any sort of tuning, if so, how did it end up?
  • Options
    mustang87mustang87 Member Posts: 129
    Does anybody have a pic of this zoom-zoom sticker? How big is it?
    Also is anybody interested in posting to usenet newsgroup if we had a group for pr5?

My previous daily car was a mustang. (still have it, would not trade it for the world) I talk to a lot of mustang guys. Many seem to agree that synthetic oil is better. For the increased price it provides much better protection as well as slight increase in horsepower? What's your take on this issue everybody?

Also it seems that even though k&n filters do provide very slight increase in horsepower, which you will not feel, the fact that they let in more dirt, i think, beats the power increase. So i said not to them. Anybody?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had one in my 1999 DX, which I had before my 2001 ES. It didn't improve anything but the sound of the engine, and made the car drink gas like crazy. I took it out and sent it back.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    wrong...zoom-zoom stickers, which have been on mazda's national back order list, are not required with any sale....

can you show me where your got this idea? I asked Mazda this question this morning and they laughed at me...

rich
  • Options
    I dont know what kind of idiot would take the dealer sticker on the car...but it is certainly the overwhelming majority of buyers.
    glad to see your smarter than the rest of the idiots, as you call them.

Actually we use license plate frames for our logo and we will not apply if asked. With any argument..I just offer the zoom-zoom sticker as a way to lighten up the discussion, no battle or anything. It's not my fault everyone goes for it.

Rich
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    go to:

http://profiles.yahoo.com/maltbarley

I have a pic of the zoom-zoom sticker there.

• Options
    The dealership where I bought my Protegé5 was out of them too. Apparently with the new commercials and popularity of the Protegé5's they are running short in many places.

My wife's aunt and uncle work for a Mazda dealership in KY and sent us 2. :-)
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... over a freakin' STICKER! I for one don't like to degrade the appearance of my car with stickers -- "zoom zoom" or otherwise. It's bad enough I have to put up with "Whitten Brothers Inc. Jeep-Chrysler-Mazda" on my trunk lid.

Nu Finish, by the way, is not a "cleaner wax." It is a non-abrasive polish. I have been using it for 16 years and absolutely love it. Sure, I have strayed away and tried the "latest and greatest" -- everything from Blue Coral's Blue Diamond to Meguiar's Gold Class most recently. The Meguiar's (a) smells awful, (b) shines great, and (c) is gone after about a month. By comparison, the Nu Finish goes on easier, shines great, and lasts six months or more from my experience -- even with all the acid rain we get here in Virginia. In fact, my Emerald Mica 2000 Protege ES still looks great from its last wax job -- in April! Just about time to wax it again for the winter.

Meade
  • Options
    Hmmm... when I was the inventory manager, the PDI team was instructed to place Zoom-Zoom stickers on every vehicle, and that instruction did not come from the dealership management. I believe it probably came from district or regional. Of course, Mazda also requires the salespeople to carry and use Mazda-supplied Palm Pilots loaded with information regarding product knowledge and competitors vehicles, as well as providing a good database for customer information. I don't know if its a regional thing, district thing, or if its because the dealership is Mazda Elite and President's Guild...
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    How can it be a non-abrasive polish? That sounds like an oxymoron to me. Just curious. Thanks

PF
  • Options
    OK, we can all surf the web, can't we? All polishes and waxes will have SOME abrasiveness to them -- heck, your polishing rag will too. But I'm talking about such a low level of abrasiveness that it won't hurt a clear coat -- i.e. a polish that does NOT include any kind of rubbing compound or other "cleaner" designed to remove the slightest top layer of paint, oxidized or otherwise.

It might be helpful to read:

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/Archive/2000/August/05.html

Meade

• Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think it's a pilot program with Hine...but that's just a guess.

:)
  • Options
    Ease up there fella. Didn't mean for you to fly off the handle. Thanks for the info though.

Pro_fan
  • Options
    I hope you enjoyed the link. Sorry if I came off a little strong there. It's been one of those days at work. You know the kind ...

"WHADDAYA MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THE COPIER?!"

"YOU ERASED WHAT?!"

"WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU WANTED IT TODAY YESTERDAY?!"

I didn't mean to fly off the handle on you! What can I do to make it up to you ... ah, I know ... FREE BEER AT MY HOUSE! Be there by 5:30!

Meade
  • Options
    Sure thing Meade! It's cool. I've been having one of those days too.

PF
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    With the amount of cross-posting we see on these two boards, and the similar issues and matters being discussed, and keeing in mind how alike these cars are (especially MY 2002, with the 130HP I4 being the only engine available in all sedans and the Pro5), maybe the two boards should be merged. They could still be linked to both the Sedans' and the Wagons' sections at Townhall!
  • Options
    I still wonder how many newcomers to both boards know the other is there too!

Meade
  • Options
    according to the northest manager....no palm pilots, they get laptops... and no required stickers...
    it must have been a dealership thing...We're Elite already and we have no such requirements.

I have spent the last few years consistantly posting in other sections and I forgot some of my sarcasm dont translate well...So remember, when I talk about zoom zoom stickers there is always that little smirk on my face...Im still amazed how popular those little stickers are

Rich
  • Options
    phoenixmp5phoenixmp5 Member Posts: 60
    Forget the Zoom-Zoom sticker... My wife has had me search for the licence plate frame since May! Anyone know how to get one?
  • Options
    alana3alana3 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I just past the 400 mile mark on my new P5.
    I love my little car, it is so much fun to
    drive.

Over these last 400 miles I have noticed
    two things that seemed weird. Each day, I drive
    the same route to work and back . Most of the roads I take are pretty smooth and new. Sometimes
    on a smooth road though, the ride gets really rough for a few minutes and then goes away.

Also at random times the car seems to vibrate
    more than normal. Things like the moonroof
    cover, my purse, my club start rattling a lot.
    Then it goes away.

Has anyone else noticed this? What do you think I should do?

Thanks,
    Alana :)
  • Options
    Like the guy who said, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this. What should I do?"

Doctor: "Don't do it!"

• Options
    Here is the report I posted on another BB at the 1000-mile point. For your reading pleasure. :-)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This Topic --> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=92302

Initial Topic --> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=87285

A few of you asked for updates, so here's some thoughts as I hit 1000 miles.

It's hard to "step down" to a much cheaper car after you've had "the good stuff" for a few years. The things I miss from my Passat is stuff that comes with the price, and a lot of intangibles, the general 'feel" of things. A direct comparison is silly really, but I've tried to draw some points together for the sake of discussion. I had some serious gut-pains when I drove away from my Passat. It was the nicest car I have ever owned... a symbol of my success and hard work. But now is the time for me to put my extra income elseware, my house, my savings, and preparing for the baby that will arrive some time in the next few years.

Luckily for me, the overall quality of moderately priced compacts has risen dramatically. For me, the Protege had the best combination fo everything: price, size, features, finish, warranty, power, etc. I need a car that would serve as general commuter, back road barnstormer and family-hauler.

THE VERDICT? -- All is perfect so far, not one "initial quality" problem. Everything is tight and works as it's supposed to. The buying and delivery process was excellent.

The engine is smoothing out nicely, I've been making regular trips to 5000-5500 RPM's, slowly working up to 6k. Power is good, most of the time I can get it into 3rd and putter around town easily. I have no problem passing highway traffic or barrrelling along back roads at illegal speeds. It does NOT make beautiful noise though. The 1.8T and even my old Civics's engine sounded a LOT sweeter.

There are a lot of differences from my Passat that have become clear in the last 1k miles...

Where the Pro5 is "better":

-------------------------------------------

SUSPENSION -- tight, with very little roll, but not too harsh over rough pavement.

SEATS -- Nice long lower cushion gives great leg support. Cushy but not mushy.

WHEELS & TIRES -- Love the look, love the grip, love how easy the wide spokes are to clean.

PRICE -- many thousands less then a new Passat wagon... many.

GAS & MAINTENANCE -- 87 octane gas, oil changes every 7500 miles as recommended my Mazda, don't have to enter a VW dealer.

CONFIGURATION -- With the seats folded, there is a ton of flat space back there.

WEIGHT -- The Pro5 feels so light and tossable

CUPHOLDERS -- nice, deep wells, hold big stuff (Snapple) and work very well.

MATS -- Thick pile floor mats. Side-by-side with VW mats, you'd think the VW ones came out of a Kia.

EXTERIOR LIGHTING -- Much better low beams, with great fogs that actually work like they are suppossed to.

SHIFTER -- Firm, positive shifts with no slop.

Where the Passat was "better":

NOISE -- the Passat is MUCH quieter at all speeds.

ENGINE -- The 150hp 1.8T had gobs of power, and revved smoother and sweeter then the Pro5's 2.0.

STEREO -- My Passat's non-Monsoon stereo was SO MUCH better then the Pro5's stock system. The Pro5's speakers flat-out stinks., and I am no audiophile.

NOOKS & CRANNIES -- More storage space in the Passat, I miss the trunk "cabinet" where the CD changer was.

INTERIOR LIGHTING -- I miss the blue.

THROTTLE -- The Pro5's throttle is very thouchy and I am still getting used to it.

The Middle Ground

STYLE -- The Passat was a very clean design, and attracted a lot of attention for it's Audi-like look. The Pro5 is defiantely more "boy racer" looking, and very rare in my area, so it's getting second glances. If I *had* to choose, I like the design, the "look" of the '99 Passat better. This is not to say I don't love the Pro5... it's just different.

MATERIALS -- The Mazda plastics are soft and nicely grained, the seat fabric doesn't cling to lint and pet hair the way the Passat's did. But the Passat had an overall feeling of more "luxury." It felt richer and more upscale.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with my purchase, I have no buyers regret at all. I feel like a gave up a minimum of "stuff" while meeting my price-point dead on (mid-16's). The fact is that even if I had wanted to spend $22-$23k on a new car, I doubt I would have bought a new Passat anyway... i just don't like the redesign that much.

I was all set to wait for the new Sentra SE-R until I sat in the back seat of one... puny. I would have liked the extra power, but I need to get a rear-facing child-seat in there one of these days, and the Sentra just lacks the space with full-size adults up front. The new Civics have good interior space too, but are VERY boring to drive IMO.

So the Protege fits perfect, right price, right size, right features, for me, and I am enjoying it immensly. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm at 1650 now and will post a "2000 mile update" soon. :-)
  • Options
    sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    I've put about 1600 miles on my Pro5 and I definitely agree with many of your comments. I'll disagree with two, though:

* Cupholders. I really dislike the cupholders in my Pro5, as I like "hanging" cupholders better--they hold things tighter. I also hate the way it blocks one of the few bits of storage space.

*Styling. I actually looked at the Passat wagon when I was car shopping, and I think the new Passats are really ugly. I don't know who thinks all that chrome is a good idea, and it's especially revolting on the boxy-looking rear half of the wagon. Ugh. (I know you had a 99 Passat, but I wasn't in the market for a used car.)

Also, I have an infant son in a rear-facing car seat, and I'd say the Protege back seat is the bare minimum acceptable size--you'd have been *really* unhappy with the Sentra on this one, good call there.
  • Options
    The '98-'01 Passats were a really CLEAN design... the new one's look like VW's attempt to get Buick buyers.

Here's a picture of my car that I traded in.

I guess as far as the cupholders are considered, I'm just happy to fit somethng bigger then a 12oz. can in them :-)
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Glad to see this point brought up. I'm considering the P5 due to the upcoming need for a car seat. Apparently at least one person is using a rear facing seat, is anyone else? We're getting the typical infant carrier seat at first, so if anyone is using one I'd be interested to know which seat it is, how well it fits and into which seating position. The center position I undertand is usually best, but I've read that alot of people can't fit the seats in the center in small cars. I'd welcome any firsthand comments.
  • Options
    I used to have a 1999 Protege DX, and used 2 infant seats in it at once, with the front seats all the way back in their track and reclined more than most drivers use them. No problem fitting. The P5 is the same size about as the sedan in the back, so there shouldn't be any problems.

I like the Passat too, but the model you had, Sporin. I hate the new redesign. It looks too gaudy with the silverish wheels, taillamps, and chrome.
  • Options
    Yep, the older Passats are much, much nicer. I have no idea what VW was thinking.
  • Options
    iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I can't understand what VW was thinking when they slaped all that repulsive chrome on the Passat. They really should have made that an option. The car without the chrome WAS very striking.

You commented that the P5 fog/driving lights work like they are supposed to. Mine are aimed straight into the ground approximately 15-20 feet in front of the car. I haven't figured out how to adjust them yet, but as they are from the factory, they are worthless.
  • Options
    1phat51phat5 Member Posts: 3
    Apparently with all the talk about dealer stickers, waxes, and all the comparos (which can be found outside of this discussion on another board), the previous questions were overlooked. Does anyone know of any after market items (intake, exhaust, lowering springs, coilovers, etc.) and where to get them. As far as the altezza taillights go, APC (www.4apc.net) said hopefully by the end of the month on taillights and clear bumper lights.
  • Options
    FOgs;

Mine don't shoot very far forward either, but the light is very low and that is what is so important with fogs. To get the light under the weather.

The Passat's "fogs" were next to the headlight... too high. So they really weren't much use as true fogs.

That's what I meant. :-)
  • Options
    boopoppaboopoppa Member Posts: 48
    thanks for not overlooking my post on aftermarket jonx :-)
    I got an update news email from racingbeat (who did the tuning for the mp3) they said that they just made lowering springs for new model proteges and that they should be offering ones for the pro5 soon.

also, as a newbie here, can someone recommend a good website to learn the definitions/functions of different parts? like what is a coilover for?

thanks.
  • Options
    peteach_3peteach_3 Member Posts: 9
    Sorry about changing the topic from after-market parts, however I have certainly appreciated the help from the others that did post answers to my question. Maybe we should find more patience and understanding 1phat5.

Zoom-Zoom
  • Options
    If you want a sporty P5 look, go have the fog lights rewired so they are able to be turned on with the parking lamps and not just the headlamps. I did it with my 2001 Protege ES (cost me $15 at a place called Auto Connection in Md.) and it looks really neat with the small lights I have. I know it would look cool with the larger rally style lights on the P5.
  • Options
    Yes it would be cool if you can only turn on the fog lights independent of the headlights. Why can't the manufacturers get this through their mind. How hard could it be. Some of the decisions that they make are dumb and so are the some of the designers.
  • Options
    How many people post on this message board? How many of you are in South Florida?
    Any young females with PR5's? :)
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I believe turning on (only) your fog lights is illegal in some/most states. This might have something to do with the manufacturers' decision to not wire them so you can turn only the fog lights on!

Hey mustang87, good to see atleast one other student that owns a Mazda Protege, and posts at Edmunds :-) And what were the chances it would be another CS student (geek?) like me!
  • Options
    re: Fogs

I really don't want the fogs on all the time. Call me old-fashioned but I only use the fogs when it's foggy out.

:-P
  • Options
    elec3elec3 Member Posts: 160
    I tend to leave my fog lights on all the time. Here in southern New Mexico, it doesn't often get foggy (windy and dusty yes, foggy, rainy or snowy, no) so I haven't had much opportunity to use my fog lights in fog. It doesn't hurt anything to have the extra light for nighttime driving and plus it looks cool :)

Did anybody else read the stuff on racing beat about protege air intake and exhaust? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff but it sounds like they tried both parts and failed. Couldn't get truly cold air so they canned the intake. Couldn't make good exhaust headers because the catalytic converter is in an odd spot and is robbing major power so they scrapped that too. The only thing they could do was a better muffler which found its way onto the MP3. Sounds like maybe Mazda was aiming for higher performance for the MP3 and simply missed. By the way, I'm really starting to wish my P5 was registered in New Mexico and not Illinois - southern New Mexico has virtually no tint restrictions and I could probably even get away with removing my catalytic converter because they simply don't do emissions testing here. At all. Ever.
  • Options
    The reason the use of fog lights instead of headlights is illegal in most states is the glare they create, particularly on wet pavement. Being so close to the ground, their light reflects off the surface and directly into oncoming traffic. I know here in California, you will get pulled over immediately if you have your fogs on without your headlights.
  • Options
    I think CorkSport is your best bet for performance parts for the Protege5. The Protege5 is new to the U.S., but it has been around in Japan since the 3rd Gen Protege was introduced in 1999. CorkSport specializes in performance parts for Mazda vehicles only, and has parts available for the Protege sedans of all years and for the 1.5L, 1.6L, 1.8L and 2.0L engines. I am sure they can tell you what's available for the Protege5 and whether or not they can find it. Here's a few examples of what they sell for the Protege:

MAZDASPEED adjustable struts $178 ea.

E-SPEC struts $67

MAZDASPEED sport springs (1" drop) $365

EIBACH lowering springs (1.5" drop) $240

KVR cross-drilled or slotted brake rotors $189

KVR carbon fiber brake pads $54

AEM short ram air intake system $203

MAZDASPEED stainless steel muffler $528

J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE intake manifold $530

J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE intake camshaft $168

J-SPEC 2.0 FS-ZE piston set $180

MAZDASPEED exhaust camshaft $142

MAZDASPEED chromoly flywheel $172

MAZDASPEED stainless steel header $739

MAZDASPEED high compression piston set $120

Example: HKS Super Megaflow Air Intake for 1.8L (posted with permission from CorkSport)

That was a small example of what is available. They also sell complete used engines from Japan such as the venerable 170hp 2.0L FS-ZE (the Japanese model Protege5--called the Sport 20--gets this engine with all-wheel-drive) and the awesome 210hp turbocharged 1.8L BP (used in the 323 GTR). Check them out at http://www.corksport.com

• Options
    So, this weekend my Pro5 got its first taste of true wagon duty, lugging a baker's rack that just doesn't fit in out kitchen across town. I have to say, I *really* like how the back benches come up so the rear surface can be completely flat--very functional.

I just wish Mazda hadn't sawed off the back end so much. The Pro5 is eight inches shorter than the standard Pro, and while I agree that the full length would be too much, I think they could give me back another 3-4 inches without making it look _too_ wagon-y. What do y'all think?
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    The length of the P5 is enough for me, since I can put my racing bike inside (I'm nuts about road bike, doing 100+ miles every week).
  • Options
    bluong1bluong1 Member Posts: 1,927
    I already get 2 small paint blobs (about 1&2mm in diameter but deep) in the hood of my yellow P5. I guess I got them from the stones on the street. Is there a good but inexpensive way to fix it?

Thanks

Bruno
  • Options
    iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Seems like the yellow paint on our P5's is susceptible to chipping easily. I have about 4 chips already. I purchased the small jar of touch-up paint available from Mazda. You touch it up with the small brush attached to the lid. It's not a perfect fix, but unless a person really looks hard, you can't notice them.
  • Options
    ponyupponyup Member Posts: 5
    2 dogs a sailboat means we carry alot of gear in our P5. I must agree that I wouldnt complain if there were a few more inches back there.
    On the other hand, I am just amazed at the room in this car. I suppose if its a matter of inches, Id just add a roofrack carrier....but Id still buy this car.

FYI: There are two yellow P5s right now in Brooklyn Park MN at Ryan Mazda.
  • Options
    I easily fit all our camping stuff,* and our dog in the Pro5 2 weeks ago. Plenty of room even with only the small side of the rear seat folded.

When I need more room, I'll get a Thule Box. :-)

*2 Sleeping Bags
    2 Folded Chairs
    Tent
    3 BIG Duffel Bags
    1Large Cooler
  • Options
    Mazda has the yellow color on hold due to paint related problems...

From what we are being told, they are having a problem with the paint sticking to the car properly...All of our factory orders for "yellow" have been changed to red or white.

I'll keep everyone informed as we get the info. So far, none of our yellow sold units have had any problems.

Rich
This discussion has been closed.