Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    This info was taken from another prominent Infiniti forum, as provided by the GM of Grubbs Infiniti:

Here are the changes for 2004....

Roof Rails are Standard
    DVD is stand alone option but requires Tech Pkg.
    Chrome Wheels are available (Requires TECH)

FX35
    The Premium Package is now the Touring Package and includes:
    Leather Seats
    Heated Front Seats
    Drivers Memory Seat
    Power Lumbar Support
    Power Tilt/Telescopic Wheel
    Heated Outside Mirrors
    Sunroof
    Bose 300 watt Radio
    Homelink
    Auto Headlights
    Steering Wheel Audio Controls
    Black Roof Rails
    Cargo Net

Colors w/Touring Package:
    Laser Red w/Graphite
    Golden Sand w/Willow
    Black w/Graphite or Willow
    Brilliant Silver w/Graphite or Willow
    Ivory Pearl w/Willow
    Diamond Graphite w/Graphite or Willow

Sport Package includes:
    Touring Package
    20" wheels
    Sport Tuned Suspension
    Aluminum Pedals
    Brushed Aluminum Roof Rails

TECH Package Includes:
    Sport Package
    Navigation System
    Intelligent Key
    Intelligent Cruise
    Rearview Monitor
    Tire Pressure Monitor

Colors w/ Sport or Tech Packages:
    Laser Red w/Graphite
    Beryllium w/Graphite or Brick-Black
    Golden Sand w/Willow
    Black w/Graphite or Willow or Brick-Black
    Ivory Pearl w/ Willow
    Liquid Copper w/Graphite or Brick-Black
    Diamond Graphite w/Graphite or Willow or Brick-Black or Willow-Black

FX45 (Remember the touring package is standard on the FX45)

Premium Package includes:
    Sunroof
    Bose 300 watt Radio
    Homelink
    Auto Headlights
    Steering Wheel Audio Controls
    Brushed Aluminum Roof Rails
    Cargo Net

TECH Package Includes:
    Sport Package
    Navigation System
    Intelligent Key
    Intelligent Cruise
    Rearview Monitor
    Tire Pressure Monitor

Colors w/ Premium or Tech Packages:
    Laser Red w/Graphite
    Beryllium w/Graphite or Brick-Black
    Golden Sand w/Willow
    Black w/Graphite or Willow or Brick-Black
    Ivory Pearl w/ Willow
    Liquid Copper w/Graphite or Brick-Black
    Diamond Graphite w/Graphite or Willow or Brick-Black or Willow-Black
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    I noticed when I pulled in to get my morning coffee at my local Starbucks, half the people who were sitting outside watched me drive in and park . One guy said , " Nice Crossover !", while I was going inside .

After I got my coffee and headed out the door that same person stopped me . With cell phone in hand , he asked me . " What model was this ?" I told him it was a Infiniti FX45 . He also asked, " What color is that ? " I told him Berilium . Immediately , he told the other person on the cell phone what I said and concluded the phone call with , " This is what I want , either in brown or black ! "

This guy based his decision only on the outside looks . I didn't have time to explain to him about my Tech. package and all the other features. He just had major " WOW " factor !

P.S. : Happy Fourth of July to all those who celebrate it !
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    I visited 2 dealers today (Southern California)> Between them they had 100+ FX's in stock. Considering that '04s only 8 weeks away, I have to wonder what are they going to do with all these cars? I am waiting for an '04 because I do not want to eat the mega-depreciation. I am sure I am not the only one who is waiting. Has anyone heard of Rebate or Dealer Assistance Program coming to help the dealers clear out the '03's??
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    The 04's have little "improvement". I just leased my full boat 45 on June 10th.
    It matters little in a lease if it's 03 or 04, but consider this in a purchase.
    You can probably get a whale of a deal in your area on an existing 03.
    You have to balance that on what you will pay for an 04.
    In San Diego, there is no "surplus" of FXes. I gave up with the dealers here.
    They did not have the options and colors I wanted, would not do a dealer trade, and wanted over $100 more per month on the lease.
    So I drove to Grubbs and got exactly the color and deal I wanted with no games.
    So wait if you want, but you can get great deals now.
    Here in San Diego, it's hard to find exactly what you want. A 50k car here is chump change for high-tech yuppies.
    I leased a loaded FX45 on June 10th. Have 5500 miles in less than a month, so I'm way over my 1200 miles a month for a 15k a year lease.
    Can't stay out of the car!
    It's DG with Willow/Black, with Tech.
    I've never owned an SUV or truck, just cars and station wagons.
    My last vehicle was a Manual Lincoln LS. Great handling car but low on power.
    The FX is at least a second faster 0-60.
    Car and Driver tested the 45 at 6.3 and .87g.
    I can believe the 0-60 but I can't tell if I'm cornering as fast as my LS at it's .84g. I can get the tires to complain (all four at once)at the limit, which is quite good for the center of gravity being so high.
    Sliding the rear out is, I think, out of the question with VDC,BLSD, and other interfering mechanisms.
    So is burning rubber from a stop with AWD, but on surfaces with minimal traction, I can get the tires to slip a small amount (until the ABS detectors find the slip).
    I'm sure that the FX series corners better than any so-called SUV.
    The recent reviews on the Cayenne contain lots of critical comments, by the way.
    Since the 35 is about equal to a Cayenne S in acceleration, and few of these will ever be taken off-road, the 35 has got to be the deal for the money. The Porsche weighs in at over 5000 lbs. It's the H2 of crossover designs. I'd hate to have to drag that weight around everyday.
    The Bose system defies the old audiophile adage: "No highs,no lows; that's Bose" in one way: It's got the highs.
    Maybe the system is honest about the lows and does not exaggerate the bass, but I would like a little more bottom end. I'm always looking for a loudness compensation switch. My LS had a "comp" button.
    I also wish that the 4 power outlets were on 100% of the time.
    I'm waiting for someone to put out a module so that I can turn on the reverse camera at any time.
    A nationwide company already has the DVD on SAT screen thing figured out. It's at www.nav-tv.com.
    I just got an E-mail from them saying it's a done deal but no price was given.
    I have the infamous thermal instability with the plastic hoop rear door "spoiler". It happened in Nebraska while on vacation. It was a really hot day, and only the second day with the car. My dealer in San Diego has a new door on order and their body shop has lots of experience taking out the dents.
    Don't get paranoid, but if it's real hot and sunny outside, look at the top of your black hoop "spoiler" for obvious thermal distortion. It will "grow" at the very top and get "wavy". If you open the hatch, put pressure on the hoop top or you will crater the roof sheet metal. Nothing the Dent Doctor couldn't iron out. I doubt this would have happened here in Insane Diego because it doesn't get that warm here but watch it this Summer if you leave the car outside.
    More "impressions" later. Need to get my FX FIX.
  • oldprofessoroldprofessor Member Posts: 45
    I've had an FX35 for about 2 weeks now and really like the vehicle. During the 4th weekend, my wife and I have made a couple of day trips to nearby towns and have put a couple of hundred miles on the FX. The average mpg gradually increased during the trips so that when we got home from the second one, it stood at 17.2 mpg. This is for roughly 250 miles at an average speed of 48 mph. 17.2 mpg seems mighty low for travel at highway speeds. We were using the air conditioner, I was driving the speed limit, 55-70, and the tires weren't underinflated. Any thoughts? Is this normal? Our FX doesn't have the sports package, if that's relevant.

Also, the car has a "rattle" in the driver's side door, which my previous car (an Acura) also had. I read a previous posting on Edmunds from someone who put in carpet pads--the things you put on the bottom of chair legs--whenever he got a new car to prevent this sort of problem. Where do you put them? I got the impression this was to prevent metal or plastic from rubbing against other metal and/or plastic and producing an irritating sound when driving on rough surfaces. Any thoughts on this?
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    I just went on a 600 mile trip with my FX35. About 95% was highway. I ran at 75-85mph(mostly 80) with the air on and averaged 20.5 mpg. I had about 1200 miles on the car before I started. Hopefully yours will loosen up in a few more miles and do better. Mine is a tech, but that shouldn't make a difference.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Did you trade in the passat on the FX? What made you buy the FX over the Toureg I know you have been a VW fan in the past. On the Highway I will get between 20-21.5 around town I get 15.7-16.5. I have 6000 miles on mine now. It will get better as the engine loosens up. Enjoy the ride.
    Actually, I traded the Passat for a G35c, which I love. Now, we're a two-Infiniti family, as we traded our Acura TL-S for the FX. In about a month, we'll be taking a 2,000-mile plus trip in the FX, so that should be the acid test of gas mileage on the highway. We have definitely found the extra space in the back handy, and I like the looks/comments the FX and the G35c get.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Member Posts: 44
    How does your G35 compare to the Passat? They seem to be similar looking vehicles (their profiles esp.). I assume the G is faster and more reliable but the Passat more luxurious?

Just curious.
    It's really apples and oranges. Remember, I have the coupe, with 280 hp. My 1999 Passat GLX had 190 hp, I think, so the difference is truly staggering. The G35c is much more fun to drive. I don't want to give the impression I didn't like the Passat, because I did. As an alternative to the Camry and Accord, it's much sportier. In comparison to the G35c, well, it loses in the sportiness department.

I personally like the high-tech nature of the Infiniti's interior, although I agree the Passat is more luxurious. I also had some electronic problems and other problems with the Passat although they were mostly livable. So far, I've had the G35c since last November, have about 5600 miles, and the only problem I've had was with the CD changer, which had to be replaced.
  • jburschjbursch Member Posts: 11
    I have been quoted (over the phone) any car at invoice plus $500. Is this a good deal? or should I ask for more? Thanks.

jb.
    How much is that? On what? We need to know. The dealer still has other ways to make a little but they want to move the 03's.
    The economy sucks in many places, but here in San Diego, the FXes are really moving.
  • jburschjbursch Member Posts: 11
    Sorry for the being vague. An FX 35, Sports package, roof rails, mud flaps. Really any package I asked for the dealer offered $500 over invoice (Invoice = $37,005). This is in Los Angeles. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    Anyone tried any off-road excursions with your FX? I keep coming back to this forum because I really like the FX but I like to do light off-roading.
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    The price sounds right for Southern California. The dealers I have been to in Orange County are loaded with '03's. I just don't know if the good price is worth it, when evaluated against the huge depreciation when the ,o4's arrive in a few weeks. Does anyone know how many FX's were sold this yyear? I was at a dealer today who hadd 66 on the lot and he told me that they would all be gone before the 04's arrived. Is the car this hot of a seller??
    The two dealers in San Diego I negotiated with had lots of FXes but not in DG with Tech.
    So it depends on what you want or will take.
    It's all "remaining inventory", but there is a lot of it.
    The dealers are relunctant to do dealer trades because they need to sell what they have, and some dealers don't want to trade valuable colors out but keep and sell them themselves. So sometimes you have to find the car on Infiniti.com and go to the dealer that has it.
    $500 over invoice - well it depends if you can get the car you want. I doubt whether the dealer will trade at $500 over invoice.
    Of course, the dealers will probably not offer $500 over invoice if you wait for an '04.
    In general, the Fx has been a good seller, and since this is the first year, it's a real market test as to color, trim and option popularity. No doubt we will see changes in package mixes as well in '04.
  • psb1013psb1013 Member Posts: 92
    In a FX?.....you must be joking! (If you're not, get a Jeep)
    Only 3% of SUVs are taken off-road, and the FX is fairly removed from the off-road design school. The most immediate limitation are the low profile tires. You need some serious sidewall cushion for off-road or your wheels are going to be toast.
    I was back in Nebraska in a real small town, on a dirt road after two days of rain last month.
    Being from San Diego almost since birth, I'd never gotten in such an unavoidable situation. If I had been in my Lincoln LS, I'm sure I would have been walking to town to borrow a shovel or a tractor tow.
    But I just kept the 45 below 13 mph so the AWD would work, and while I drifted around in the mud from side to side, I never stopped and I made it through to the other (dry) side.
    That was the extent of my lifetime off-pavement, and I paid my pennance at the local do-it-yourself car wash blasting off the mud with about $12.00 worth of quarters. Thank goodness the mudflaps were installed at the L.A. port of entry, or that mud would have been ALL over the car.
    By the way, there are all kinds of nooks and crannies under the body for mud to settle. A real off-roader would have complete wheel well inner liners.
    Doing an H2, over the rock thing, is of course, way out of the question with the FX.
    But then the H2 does 0-60 in about 15 seconds, does .70 g in corners, and gets 10 mpg no matter how you drive it. It's as bad on the road as the FX is off-road.
    If you really want to go off-road, buy a Jeep Wrangler. It can climb rocks better than a Hummer. It's relatively light and less likely to flip over. It's a lot less than 53k also. My neighbor just picked up a mint used one for 14k from an older lady who simply tired of it.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just returned from our annual family vacation to a resort in Northern Minnesota, and it was naturally our first trip up there using our FX45, which I am pleased to report lived fully up to expectations, and performed flawlessly during the trip. The car did great towing my fishing boat (17 1/2 feet, deep and wide, with 420 lb outboard), and with the V8 it never felt strained in the least. Loaded, the boat weighs about 2,500 lbs and we had about another 850 lbs inside the car, including us humans. On the way there, I actually had a couple of goofy teenagers in a Honda Civic pull up to me at a stop sign, gunning there engine wanting to race despite us having the rather severe weight penalty of the boat and a completely loaded interior. When the light turned green, he floored it, and I easily kept abreast of him without even pushing the accelerator halfway down! (I like to take it easy on all of the car's parts when towing).

Upon arrival, in the adjacent small town which is about 200 miles from the nearest Infiniti dealer, the vehicle naturally drew plenty of long stares and many second looks, when cruising down Main Street and when parking it to get a bite to eat. I'm sure that for most everyone there it was the first time ever seeing an FX. This is a town where you see more SUV's and pickup trucks than sedans, and probably 95% of them are your conventional American makes.

Once at the resort, fellow guests - nearly all of whom we know from years' past - had lots of questions throughout the entire week. One guy remarked, "God, those wheels are HUGE, what are they, 17's?" <g>

The only downside of the trip was that one night a real bad storm came through, with tornado warnings lasting for more that two hours. Fortunately we didn't get any tornado's, but very unfortunately we did experience a pretty wicked thunderstorm which included some FREAKIN' HAIL! The adjacent tall trees helped shelter the car some, but I took about three pretty good hits, including one very noticeable dent on the hood, which I'm having looked at early next week. Hopefully the paintless dent expert that I've used before on a previous car for door dings can get it looking like new again. Up until that evening the paint was flawless, as it's always been garaged, except of course when it's been driven! Shoot, even the 8 coats of wax that I had applied in the past three months since taking delivery couldn't protect it completely against those damn hail stones, which I was told reached the size of ping-pong balls. It was a very sick feeling indeed, suddenly hearing those stones crash against the sides and roof of the little cabin we were staying in, and not being able to do anything to save the exterior of my car! :-( But compared to some of the other cars there that were more exposed, we came out relatively well, as some of the others took dozens of indentations. We were actually relieved that we avoided an actual tornado, as it was a very scary sky that evening, with low, rotating cloud masses and what appeared to be funnels off in the distance, which we got a good view of with our lakeside view.

So it was "almost perfect" week, and with the excellent fishing - coupled with the great-handling FX to tool around with on those smooth, blacktop roads winding through the forests - once the boat was unhitched - the fun we had easily overcame the three small dents I drove home with. Once those imperfections are smoothed over, I'll just remember all the fun parts.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Only 3% of SUVs are taken off-road...

I can't seem to find any reliable references for that. If you have one I'd really appreciate your sharing it! Thanks!

tidester, host
  • daschtickdaschtick Member Posts: 63
    Great review! That is exactly the kind of duty I am looking at an FX for.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Great review. The fx is a great family vacation car. Hope you are able to get it looking like new after those hail storms.
    Just a quick check on Google for "SUV Statistics" came up with a 90% never "off-road" at www.poseur.4x4.org
    Of course, one has to agree on the definition of "off-road" use.
    I don't think driving down dirt driveways, puddle-jumping in the winter, and dirt-road duties really qualifies.
    Maybe we should include everything from a little desert trail driving to the extreme Rubicon Trail stuff where the Wrangler boys tear front axles out.
    Surely, almost all typical SUVes are ill equipped for much more than going over 2" rocks. Their front ends are way too delicate.
    You can probably name using one hand the popular models that could really handle true off-road.
    That would be the Wrangler, Land Rover, the Land Cruiser derivatives.
    I don't know if the H2 is a real SUV since the Sport part is way too deficient. It's really out of it's element on concrete and asphalt. It only does .70g on corners, which makes the C&D worst list (3 positions of ten this year).
    Let's also consider the "insurance problem". What is AAA going to do when you call them up on Monday morning to tell them you rolled your 80k
    Land Rover or Cayenne.
    I think the more adventurous try out their SUV off-road just once. They probably pay for the experience one way or another.
    90% of these vehicles don't have real 4 wheel drive systems anyway. Locking front,center and rear differentials separate the serious with money from the amateurs and their ho-daddy affordable SUV's.
    Like the seniors with Corvettes that have to get the dealer to clean out the carbon with chemicals, the well to do that buy Cayennes and Land Rovers are usually used to rolling coffins for their other vehicles and never use them to their potential.
    Whatever you drive, I think it's important to explore both the vehicle's and your limitations.
    There is a lot of wasted vehicular potential out there.
    It's like putting Northstars in granny Cadillacs. Why waste those engines in overweight
    FWD rolling coffins. A 3800 pushrod Buick V-6 would do the same for those drivers.
    My next "car" to replace the Manual Lincoln LS I just turned in may be the CTS V. Should have the Northstar but I'll take the 400hp small block.
    At least it will have truth in its purpose.
    Not like the makers of SUVs that give the impression that you can actually go "off-road" for $20k.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    For those who want one , I just ordered a front end mask (bra) for my FX45 at my local Infiniti dealer today ( S.F. Bay Area ) . The parts guy said the front end mask is made by Nissan so I'm not sure what company they are using ?

Will post once I receive it ....
    Thanks! I have no idea how poseur.4x4 arrives at those numbers but one does wonder when the front page announces Welcome to the original SUV satire page on the web!

I am not sure anyone has reliable stats on how many SUVers do offroading. Oh, well, I'll keep looking!

tidester, host
    I take all the main car mags. I've seen all kinds of references to this stat.
    I'll dig around also.
    I know here in Socal that we have a load of SUVs that could never go on even a dirt road.
    You know, the "mobile jewelry" type with chromed 22-24" wheels and ribbon tires. I'd be afraid of a small pothole with these rigs. Most of them are Navigators.
    Have you seen the chrome wheels with the "spinning discs" that spin after the SUV stops?
    Mobile Jewelry for sure. Who says form follows function. Not here.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "fewer than five percent of all SUV owners ever take their SUVs off-road, according to auto industry surveys."

National Center for Public Policy Research. Naturally they don't reference the surveys. The Detroit Project agrees with them.

A Big 3 surveys says "only 13 percent of sport utility vehicles are driven off road."

Independent Insurance Agents of NJ (supposedly is quoting an IIHS study).

Steve, Host
    Steve: Naturally they don't reference the surveys.

Exactly! I've never seen the original source material though it's often alluded to!

Stanny: You know, the "mobile jewelry" type with chromed 22-24" wheels and ribbon tires.

Oh, yes! The kids drag race those things around here - pretty scary - though I haven't seen an Infiniti among them!

tidester, host
    I'll die if I see an FX with spinning chrome wheels or a vinyl roof.
    It's just not in my culture.
    I hope they stay with the Navigators.
    They are slow and being slower won't matter.
    To spend 6 grand on being slower is beyond me. One of the mags tested an Expedition with chromed 23" wheels. It was actually slower than with the stock wheels.
    Instead of looks, wheel buyers should concentrate on offset and weight.
    Unfortunately, the wheel dealers don't even publish those #s. Some of the manufacturers do.
    HRE Performance Wheels just E-mailed me and wanted my car for fitment measurements for their 640R Series Forged Wheels, offering me a discount for being a guinea pig. These are not chrome wheels but lighter forged units. These are not cheap wheels!
    I think that the only reason for new wheels is to reduce unsprung weight. Looks is secondary.
    Thank Goodness there are just a couple wheels available in the aftermarket, and those are just 20". Or we might see some real disasters like low-rider editions with 6" offsets and tacky chrome mudflaps, and two-level rear spoilers screwed to the tailgate. I know it's an eventuality but let's hope it's in a few years.
    Just got the price of a set of 22 x 9.5 HRE 640R SUV wheels off their website.
    Are you sitting down?
    How about $7200? Plus tax I'm sure.
    Their not chrome or gold plated but with some good tires, mounting and balancing, you might have ten big ones invested.
    Wheel locks would be a joke. They will just steal your FX!
  • etc42etc42 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a copper 2WD Sport.
    I read the manual but what real advice is there regarding break in procedure? What is the max speed recommended. Are there "shavings" requiring Oil change/trans fluid changes, at what mileage?
    What kind of oil is installed from the factory?

Also anyone know where you can get the 3M film near Ontario California, Southern Calif?
    Save your dough, dude. There are better, more worthwhile ways to spend 10Gs. Just my 2 cents.
    I agree. Even with the best wheels, or the lightest wheels, you'd have to have instrumentation to detect any performance parameter improvement.
    Almost all the new wheels you see on SUVs are there for looks.
    Some are not really proper for the vehicle (offset, weight, diameter, not hub-centric), but the consumer does not know and buys for looks only.
    I do want a different look and I don't want the mobile jewelry mode. Then I'd have to start wearing a baseball cap backward, and driving slow in the right lane. Not my style.
    Maybe I'll have the wheels painted or exchange them for the 2004's.
    Infiniti does not recommend replacement wheels because you will likely lose the tire pressure monitior function.
    Evidently, the sensor/transmitter module cannot be removed and adapted/mounted to just any new wheel.
    Anybody going to get the soon-to-be-released OEM 20" chrome wheels for the FX from Infiniti? I wonder what the price will be?
    I've had my FX with the Bose orgy system for a month now.
    11 speakers and 300 watts makes me wonder: Where is the 300 watts and what are the 11 speakers supposed to do?
    The two speakers in the spare tire "Sub" housing seem to be on vacation. The four small door speakers in my Lincoln LS produced more bass.
    The four 2.5" drivers in the dash seem to overpower the door speakers, which are trying to reproduce the mids and low mids. But the dash speakers are way too present.
    I've e-mailed Bose and the co-inventor of the proprietary Bose software logarithm.
    I know the old saying in the Audiophiile world is "No highs, no lows; that's Bose".
    Well, I've got the highs. No problem. Clear and bright. But the low and mids are not to be found.
    There is no "comp" or loudness switch. The best I can do is max out the "volume compensation" control that makes up for ambient noise.
    I've tried the balance/fader but that just reduces the presence.
    The Bose system is supposed to be "non-modifiable". That means you have to junk the entire system, including the wierd 1-2 ohm speakers.
    I think I will try a "DashMat" to dampen the dash speakers and then add some acoustic padding underneath the Mat to attenuate the volume even more if necessary.
    Do any of my fellow FX owners have this problem?
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone encountered a used FX yet? I have a FX35 RWD w/ tech pkg that I need to sell. White exterior / tan interior. 10.3K miles. Flawless.
    I think the Bose audio is rather pretty good in the FX....way beter than the ones in Nissan Maxima's and Acura TL's/MDX's. Sure, it's no Mark Levinson, but the bass is pretty good in my opinion.....specifically tuned for rock music according to Infiniti. I think it would have been great if Infiniti made the audio Dolby Digital 5.1 since there's already a center channel speaker in the middle of the dash. But overall, I have no complaints.
    Curious...why are you selling your FX? Don't tell me you're bored already!
  • juice9911juice9911 Member Posts: 4
    Which website is better for getting accurate vehicle prices for the FX35? I've tried Edmunds and NADA and they are different. If you add the cost of the Sport pkg. in, do you add the cost of the Premium pkg. in too? Thanks.
    Try kbb.com
    Live by the book, die by the book.

Usually we are close to or the same as Kelley on invoicing. Discrepancies on any of the books (Galves, NADA, etc. for invoice) probably is explained in the fine print by what's accounted for in the invoice; destination, ad fees, who knows.

Steve, Host
  • LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    I'm leaving my current steady and successful job and going into real estate. I'm expecting to be poor for about 12 months while that ramps up and having such an expensive car isn't quite financially appropriate.

Honestly, I love that car and it wrecks me to sell it. Especially since I'm stepping down to something along the lines of an Accord. Not that an Accord is a bad car (many people would love to have one), but it's just not my FX.
    It's a good market, so don't be so quick to sell the FX. How much of a payment difference could it be?
    As a real estate broker for 30 years, and #1 in two zip codes for years for $ volume, maybe I can help you out with some quick tips.
    Having the FX might help you with your clients.
    They may want to go see property in your car versus some other agent.
    You may be able to have people identify you and your car.
    "Lance-the agent that's different!" Build on it.
    At least, the FX might open doors, spike curiousity, get people talking about you and to you, asking questions - an "ice breaker".
    In a business where almost all agents charge the same and do the same, at least you won't look or drive the same.
    Real estate is full of stories about the different agent that attracted clients looking for something that stands out and is different.
    "Lance-the agent with the Ninja Turtle car" or "Lance-the agent with the Godzillamobile".
    I'd have pictures made with you and the car.
    Some agents buy some old or wierd car for that image.I've known many, with a 58 white Olds to a Rolls-Royce.
    You are now in the image game. You have to sell yourself above all.
    Answer the question: "Why should I use Lance rather than Joe Blow to list my house?"
    Because he drives the coolest car in town!
    Be sure to get that magnetic sign with your logo ASAP.
    Remember, real estate is not a team sport.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Well, we can't have a fellow FX owner and real estate agent leave the fold.
    He and I are FX agents in a sea of H2s, Caddys, Bimmers and Mercs.
    We are sorely outnumbered, and we need to make the most of it.
    The FX has lots of clean real estate on each side for big magnetic signs.
  • dptbonesdptbones Member Posts: 21
    Well I took my second test drive today. I drove the fx35 with tech package. I am trying to figure out a couple things. One is color, but you can't help me on that. The next is whether to buy now or wait two months. Turns out there were some factory reps at the dealership doing surveys today. One affirmed the changes in the passenger seat. Basically they are adding the ability to raise and lower the seat just like the driver side. Also some new color combos with interiors/exteriors. Roof rails will be available in brushed aluminum or black, but not standard according to this source. They will still be an option. The tech package will separate the dvd system.

Here are my questions. Considering the oversupply of 2003's (there were over 50 on the lot today), should I buy now or wait? Does anyone know any pricing details for the 2004's? Has anyone seen any without the roof rails? There were none on the lot, but I think in the literature I have it looks way better without the roof rack. What types of deals are people getting? I paid $500 over invoice on my 4Runner when it was extremely popular, and the same for our Sequoia in its second model year, so I'm a decent negotiator. Can I expect to pay invoice since there were so may on the lot? Am I more likely to get better pricing on a 45 or a 35? I'm leaning towards the 45 because of resale value and just because I can afford it. I tend to keep cars for many years. My 4Runner is almost 10 years old.

Finally, are there any other forums to read about the fx? Could you give me the web address?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bones
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    LanceL99 - Please keep in mind that you are probably very "upside down" in your purchase or lease of your FX - you owe more than it is worth for at least 2- 3 years. SO - you will need to roll the amount you owe into the loan for the Accord or other new car.

The end result is that the payment will probably be about the same, or even more than you are now paying. The end result is that you continue to pay interest on the surplus as well as the new car, and end up paying a LOT more over the time of yoru new purchase. If you have the cash to put enough down to avoid this, then you don't need to sell it.

The time to reduce the payments was before you bought it, not now.

Just some thoughts ! Good Luck.
    Sales numbers for most makes are doing ok, but the market sure sounds soft and I don't think too many models are getting MSRP. The FX is new and hot, so it may be holding it's own better.

Please do a net search for other info sources; promoting competing auto forums isn't permitted on Town Hall (our bean counters frown on giving free advertising to the competition). Thanks.

Steve, Host
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Since you keep your cars for a long time, depreciation isn't too much of an issue for you, so I would try to negotiate a real good deal on an FX45 right now. Especially if you either want the full blown Tech Pkg and don't mind including the DVD, or would be happy with the Premium Pkg which apparently will stay the same on the '04's anyway. Go for the 45 if you can afford it. Might as well try to buy one at invoice, as you're not likely to do any better in the future - not with 50 unsold FX's on your dealer's lot right now. If they ordered too many '03's I wouldn't think they will likely make the same mistake twice, and you know they will be a lot more anxious to give deals on them before heavily discounting any of the '04's that come in.

All that said, if you really want the Tech Pkg, but don't want to pay for the DVD, and especially if there is a color combination that you really like that is only available on the '04, then it wouldn't hurt to wait a while and see what develops. You'll probably pay more, but you would get exactly what you want.

Good luck - it's a fantastic car.

I personally like the look of the FX without the roof rails, which is what I got since I would never use them anyway. But of course this is purely subjective and many people like the look of the rails, even if they never use them to carry anything.