Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Esteem Wagon

mikeyewmikeyew Member Posts: 6
My local Suzuki dealership is offering
a AL wagon for $11,999. I realize that this
is a very basic vehicle, with a and ad, but
is it a reliable vehicle?
The price is hard to beat and all I need
to haul my mountain bike and stuff is a
"very basic vehicle."

Comments

• mikeyewmikeyew Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, the spell check misspelled
    some of the words in the previous post, not me.
    LOL!
    The Suzuki GL wagon comes with AC and a
    CD, that's it! But it is an attractively
    designed car, and also an attractively priced
    car.
  • geraldc1geraldc1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 glx+ suzuki wagon. Bought new 2-2000. Presently have 13,500 miles. Have not had any problems with car. No warranty problems or adjustments whatsoever. Car exceeds my expectations and enjoy driving the car. Smooth ride and very quiet. Well made. Gave $14500 for two tone with 6 changer cd. Averages 24-26 in town and 29-32 highway. Very stylish car. E-mailed suzuki and was cridical of them for not pushing this car to sell. They elect to push their Grand Vatari and their new XL7. The consumer report gave the XL7 rave reviews. Suzuki is noted for its quality. No recalls on suzukis for repairs. Highly recommend.
    Next year toyota and mazda will offer wagons as wagons are making a big comeback. SUV are only large wagon gas guzzlers.
  • bobtaybobtay Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Suzuki Esteem station Wagon, the GL four months ago. On the whole I am pleased with it, except for a rotten egg smell that we get after a short run, when we stop the vehicle. This smell is so bad that it almost makes a person vomit, and co workers when they see the vehicle being parked, move away to avoid the smell.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had similar problems, as to whether they have found a solution.

Bob Taylor
    btaylor@ntl.sympatico.ca
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    I have a Geo Metro (which is essentially a Suzuki) and I've gotten almost 50,000 trouble-free miles from it. The only repairs I've had to make were brakes (normal wear) and window glass from a break-in. Suzuki is known to make reliable small motors. If you take care of the car it should last a long time.

I'm also in the market for a small wagon or hathcback; unfortunately, Suzuki dealerships can be hard to find. If you are getting a good deal from yours then I'd say go for it.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    bobtay: The most common cause of the smell comes from fuel that has a high sulpher content. try changing your brand of gas. You could have a malfunctioning cat converter or you car's computer may be allowing it to run too rich. This used to be a big problem with GM cars a few years back ( tho any mfg can have the problem)but is not much of a problem now days. In any event the problem can be cured by your dealer. it is emissions related and would be covered under warranty for at least 50K miles. Good luck

Floridian
  • QualityQuality Member Posts: 17
    Today is my car's second birthday (May 20) and the tally today is 131,000km. The car is running in top form and no major problems have occurred. Hope this helps any curious onlookers.Quality.
  • zippadeedudahzippadeedudah Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE HAD MY WAGON FOR FIVE DAYS NOW. THE ONLY DEFECT I HAVE NOTED IS THAT THE FUEL GAUGE WILL NOT GO ALL THE WAY TO FULL. WHEN I FILL HER UP IT STAYS DOWN ABOUT HALF A MARK. I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE LAST GALLON IS HARD TO GET IN. SHOULD I JUST FORCE THE LAST GALLON IN TO GET A FULL READING OR WHAT? THE PUMP SAYS DO NOT TOP OFF! ON OTHER THING I NOTICED IS THAT THE REMOTE ENTRY SYSTEM AND INTERIOR LIGHTS DEPEND ON THE REAR GATE BEING CLOSED FULLY. OTHERWISE, THE INTERIOR LIGHTS WILL STAY ON AND THE REMOTES WILL NOT WORK. WHAT KIND OF MOTOR OIL IS NEEDED IN MY WAGON... IS IT MOBILE 1? CAN I TAKE TO SAY QUIKLUBE? JOE IN ATLANTA!
  • zippadeedudahzippadeedudah Member Posts: 3
    SHOULD I CHAGE OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES. ON FELLOW ON HERE SAID HE CHANGED THE OIL AFTER THE FIRST 500 MILES. ONE SAID HE CHANGED TO MOBIL OIL. WHAT ABOUT CARBON BUILDUP IN THE ENGINE WHICH I READ ABOUT...CAN THAT BE PREVENTED AND HOW? THANKS FOLKS! WANT TO GET OFF ON THE RIGHT FOOT HERE YOU KNOW. ONLY HAD CAR A WEEK!
  • sphil906sphil906 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Esteem GL. Purchased used with 5,000 miles. When going over rough pavement there is a rattle around both struts in the rear. I notice the seat belt retractors are in the same area. I cannot determine the source of the rattle. Anyone else with the same problem?
    Just read entry # 9 and the concern about carbon build-up. My carbon problem that I mentioned earlier on in the discussions was not a carbon problem at all. I had a rattling noise coming from somewhere. Every time I took my car in for servicing the dealership could not hear this noise because it occurred mainly while climbing steeper hills. The dealership never heard the noises that bothered me. So, I went for the " de-carbon " job. This must be a problem sometimes for some people if the service manager is recommending this procedure. But, it was not my problem. My problem turned out to be a clamp that broke on the exhaust system ( a stiffener is its name ) Just got this fixed recently. I am sure that rattling occurs because of carbonization but it was not my problem as I reported earlier. Just trying to keep the record straight while presenting the information as it presents itself.Quality.
  • jaskingjasking Member Posts: 10
    I got a black GL 5-speed wagon about a month ago, have put about 5,300 kilometers on it, and so far I am extremely pleased with it. It's quick, quiet, roomy, comfortable and, for an econo-wagon, supremely good-looking. Took a 2,500-km (1,500-mile) vacation drive last week, including a couple of 600-mile days. Emerged unscathed (very nice seats). The car easily passed the crucial dead-skunk avoidance test (sudden lane change), easily swallowed a week's worth of luggage and various bulky purchases, and exhibited a very comforting reserve of passing power. When I got home, it passed two more important tests. Returning my empties to the beer store, I found the little Esteem actually held more cases than the much bigger, vastly more expensive 4-Runner parked next to it. And on a trip to the vet, my two dogs (a 30-pound border collie and a 100-pound Lab-shepherd) had lots of room in the back without folding down the rear seats. People should buy these cars. Mine functions as well and looks as good as vehicles costing twice as much or more. People are lined up around the block to pay thousands more for the new Mazda Protege 5, which is slower, no better looking and far less practical. Go figure.
    I still haven't jumped onto the Suzuki bandwagon for one main reason, quality. Does
    the Suzuki feel like a quality wagon, or does
    it feel like the low price it commands?
    mike,
    Maybe your question would be best answered by someone who's owned an Esteem longer than I have, but I'll tell you what I know. As far as I can see, the wagon is built as well as any smallish car, it just doesn't have the useless bells and whistles some people demand. Mine has exactly zero assembly faults. The interior materials seem to be of high quality. It doesn't rattle, buzz or squeak. There are no wind or water leaks. The engine is strong and cruises quietly. The car seems to ride as well with a full load as it does with just a driver aboard. As for reliability, well, I owned two Suzuki 4x4s for a total of six driving years with the following repairs: one headlight bulb, one set of wiper blades, one taillight fuse. That's all. There aren't many small wagons to choose from, and an Esteem should be far more reliable than a Ford Focus, Saturn or whatever Korean product is available in your area. I think the Focus alone had more safety and quality recalls in its first couple of months than the entire Suzuki product line has had since they entered the market 20-odd years ago.
    This is a hard decision folks, and the
    dealer not having the color I prefer makes
    buying a wagon all the harder. He has a
    red and a silver 5 speed on the lot. I prefer
    white or black, but silver will do.
    The bigger question is now, how will these
    cars survive life in the rust belt? Here
    in western Pennsylvania the roads are coated
    with salt every winter.
    Mike,

Greetings from Ottawa, the road-salt capital of the world. I've seen a few rusted Suzuki Swifts around, but never an Esteem. And the Swifts were all very, very old. Probably the Civics of the same age have long since disintegrated. If you wash the car once it gets real crusty and cover any deep scratches with touch-up paint, you should be OK. After four years of wallowing through the salt here, my old Sidekick didn't show a hint of rust anywhere.
  • raduga750raduga750 Member Posts: 13
    I am thinking about getting a Suzuki Esteem wagon. There are very few new hatchbacks or small wagons out there, and almost all of them look overpriced (e.g., Volkswagen Golf, Mazda Protege5). Consumer Reports didn't like the Esteem, but they seemed to focus on the sedan vrs other sedans, and they didn't criticize its reliability. I'd like to know from owners what their experience is in two areas:

1. There seem to be very few dealers -- the one dealer in my area didn't even have a wagon to test drive -- and no garages in my area advertise that they work on Suzukis. Is it difficult to find mechanics? Are parts and labor more expensive than for other Japanese cars?

2. Some car reviewers have questioned the suspension system, saying the ride is hard. How would you compare it with other wagons?

Thanks!
    I'm a small-car guy, so I don't care much for the soft, heavy feel of a big car. With that in mind, I find the Esteem wagon's ride very acceptable. I tested a bunch of small cars and it rides as well as most and better than a lot of them. One nice thing is that the ride doesn't deteriorate when you load it up.
    As far as servicing goes, there are three Suzuki dealers within 20 minutes of where I live, so I don't get that lonely feeling. I'm in my fifth year as a Suzuki owner, and I have no idea how expensive parts and repairs are, since I've never had anything to fix or anything to replace except wiper blades and a headlight bulb. Most towns or cities will have Suzuki dealers, most villages and hamlets will not (but then they probably won't have a Chevy or Ford dealer either).
  • app3jxvapp3jxv Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Suzuki Esteem Wagon GLX+ wagon at the end of August 2000. I had to replace the front brake pads after 18,000 miles. Most of my driving is on the highway. Is this normal, or is Suzuki using inferior material in their brake pads. I replaced the pads with full metallic Bendex pads - they should last awhile. Has anyone had a similar experience???
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    it will be due to a poor quality of pad, hard braking, resting your foot on the brake, or a sticking caliper. What I mean by resting your foot on the brake covers not only riding the brakes 24/7, but also when you come to a stop, holding the brake pedal down does not allow heat to disperse as well. Allowing the car to roll an inch or two at a time will help, as will setting the parking brake when stopped. It's easier to do this in a manual, and it saves on your brake pads and will keep your rotors from warping.
  • geraldc1geraldc1 Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE JUST ROLLED 20,000 MILES ON MY WAGON. HAVE NOT HAD A SINGLE PROBLEM OR ADJUSTMENT AND CAR HANDLES BEAUTIFULLY. TIP TO INCREASE GAS MILEAGE. MOBIL 1 OIL, INFLATE TIRES 5 LBS ON TIRE PRESSURE OVER REQUIRED AND PREMIUM GAS(WHEN PRICES ARE LOW) I HAVE NOTICED ABOUT A 2 MILES PER GALLON INCREASE SINCE DOING ALL 3.
    I HVE NEVER FIGURED OUT WHY SUZUKI DOES NOT ADVERTISE THIS FINE LITTLE CAR. LOOKED AT THE NEW MAZDA P5 WAGON AND WAS QUOTED APPROX, $5000. MORE FOR THE CAR WITH SAME EQUIPMENT. INTERIOR OF SUZUKI APPEARS TO BE LARGER THAN MAZDA .

LETS HEAR FROM YOU SUZUKI LOVERS!!
    It's nice to see someone posting on this thread again. I guess you could call me a Suzuki lover. I've just rolled over 17,000 km on my Esteem wagon without any problem, adjustment or complaint of any kind. I have to agree that Suzuki could do more to promote these great little cars. They're good at making cars, not too good at marketing them in North America. I also have to agree on the Mazda P5. It's a cute little car, in a teen-street-racer way, but overpriced and severely lacking in cargo space. I came out of Starbucks the other day and found a black P5 parked next to my black Esteem, so I had to compare. From a visual inspection, I'd say the Suzuki has at least double the cargo space with rear seats up. The Esteem is also faster, according to published road tests, and for my money it's better looking -- sleek, classy and subtle, rather than stubby and gimmicky like the Mazda.
    I have a rattling sound, like plastic on plastic, coming from both sides of the rear of my 2000 Esteem wagon, when traveling over sharp bumps like pavement patches. Seems like it may be coming from the general area of the struts, but the stuts have been declared fine by the dealer. I wonder if it could be the seat belt retainers. Anyone with a smiliar irritation. Also, when it is cold outside(40 or below) I get a creaking sound seeming to come from the rear suspension from large bumps or undulations in the road as well as speed bumps. Any ideas?
  • devil_tazdevil_taz Member Posts: 21
    Umm.. creaking sound.. could it be the rear strut mounts? If i'm not mistaken, the esteem have the four wheel independant macpherson suspension setup.

Hey Quality, how's your suzuki esteem so far? I'm looking into puchasing one. Please post an update.

Thanks.
    Sorry to report that my car died in the line of duty on Christmas Eve. ( 170,000km ) Very reliable until death and never stalled once. Was running in excellent condition and would easily have doubled the mileage given the chance. Not sure what to buy. So many choices. Looking at new Matrix, Honda, and Subaru. The ultimate decision will be based on value.
    Sincerely.
    Quality
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    Is the Esteem's rear suspension and exhaust anything like the Swift's? My '95 Geo Metro (same as Swift but for the smaller engine) has a variety of noises from back there. The muffler is new from last year, though it is not an OEM part so it is a bit big. I'm sure it could use some work on the suspension back there but for now it is not bad enough to sink money into it (also got new tires and brakes last year) -- it is fine for one or two people but 4 people has it riding kind of low.

Anyone looking forward to the Esteem's replacement, the Suzuki Aerio SX? My '95 Geo Metro is still running well but when it goes, I'll be taking a look at the Aerio for sure, along with the Matrix/Vibe and maybe the new small Saturn if they make a small wagon or hatch out of it. I'm not fond of the Echo, Focus or Protege5 styling.
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I have started a new discussion about the Aerio (formally known as the Suzuki SX concept car).

Check it out!
  • My wife and I have driven 12,000 trouble free miles on our wagon since we purchased last June. If you are looking for a recommendation, you definitely have ours. I honestly cannot think of a car that offers better value - such a shame that Suzuki plans on retiring it in favor of the Aerio.

For those of you currently in the compact wagon market, I believe you'll be very pleased with the Esteem. It's the sort of car that really grows on you. A few months after you've made the purchase, you'll be patting yourself on the back for getting such a great deal on a car with so many features.

One note - it handles quite well in the snow.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi folks- Please note the minor changes in this discussion title. The word "Esteem" has not been added to the title. Hope this is helpful.

Also, for those interested in discussing the upcoming Suzuki Aerio, here's a direct link to our new Suzuki Aerio SX discussion. Thanks for your participation.

Hi cityplanner- Thanks for the update. Glad to hear your Esteem is serving you well. We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • hudraheadhudrahead Member Posts: 169
    Quality: Please tell us what killed the "Zuki", was it wrecked or what ? Just when it was nicely broken in too. LOL. Don't you jus hate it when that happens?

What's next ? That Mazda Proto5 is a real piece of work. My son just bought one and loves it. I drove it too and was REALLY impressed with the build quality, equipment for the price etc. A LOT more car for the money (US anyway)than the Esteem don't you think.

hudrahead
    Hudrahead: Thanks for the concern. Car was hit by
    another and pushed into concrete wall. Death was quick and painless. Very reliable vehicle and would recommend to first time buyer and someone who likes to keep their car for long periods. I like to trade and buy new once in a while. Reasons for switching to another vehicle include the relatively poor re-sale value ( unknown car and not deserved ) and the elimination of the Esteem line. Do not like the looks of the new Suzuki vehicle and sounds too small for my use. I like what the new Matrix has to offer in terms of technology and value ( not sure about the options package which I probably will want) I like the Subaru Impreza TS package, but too expensive perhaps (but good value) and it has a timing belt(a big negative for me) I also like the Honda engines, but has timing belt and no hatchback. Sorry, don't like Ford/Mazda products even though it looks cute. I will be comparing my new vehicle with the value of the Suzuki Esteem which is substantial.
    Sincerely,
    Quality
    I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. I hope no one incurred any injuries. Your participation in this discussion has been very much appreciated. Btw, in case you weren't aware, you can also compare several vehicles side by side in Edmunds.com Vehicle Comparison tool. Good luck with your next purchase.

Revka
    Host
  • chaser4chaser4 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, first I want to say thanks to Quality for helping me make my decision on buying an Esteem. I love my car. All the good things people say about this car is true. I have owned my 2000 Esteem GLX since July of 2001. When I bought it, it had 10000 miles on it. It now (seven months later) has just over 23000 miles on it. I have had one problem. About a week after I bought it, I noticed some grinding coming from the front brakes. The dealer said that the pad had "de-laminated" itself from the mounting surface. They replaced the front brake pads and turned the rotors under warranty. I did buy this car from a reputable used-car dealer here in eastern MA, and not a Suzuki dealer. They are hard to find. I get great mileage in mixed driving (24-28mpg). One complaint: My car has the 15" Speedline rims on it with Yokohama V-rated tires. In New England, it snows. And I live on a hill. I have to get new tires for this car(pref. A/S radials). Any suggestions? Also what's with this car blowing brakelights? I've replaced the same side twice.
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    I don't have an Esteem (here as a prospective customer when my Metro dies) but I've recently had good opportunities to try my new (bought last year) Michelin all-seasons in the snow and ice so I thought I'd offer my comments. My Geo Metro has 155/80R13 Rainforce MX4s and my Saturn LW200 has 195/65R15 X Ones on them. Both do well in dry, wet, snow and ice, keeping up with traffic just fine (people around here seems to drive reasonably, about 10kmh under the limit in very bad weather). The wheels are such different sizes on cars of such different masses that it is hard to compare them but subjectively, I'd say the pricier X Ones are a bit better, offering slightly better traction and a quieter ride. They are only T rated but that's 190kmh which is faster than I'd ever go.

I have several nasty, twisty hills to negotiate to and from work every day and I made it up and down them alright in the partially plowed and driven-over remains of a 6" snowfall the other day in the Metro (I wasn't sure it would make it but I had no trouble).

I don't have a garage so keeping 8 winter tires on extra rims in the basement is not a pleasant thought. If I had a garage, I might get snows.
    and thanks for your sharing 2001 GLX Esteem experience. Glad to hear that you're enjoying your vehicle. Also, good luck with the replacing the tires, as well as dealing with the other issues (i.e. brake lights) you've mentioned.

In addition to the feedback here, you may want to periodically check in Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to see if any related TSB's (Techincal Service Bulletins) appear. Please keep us posted. Happy Motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Chaser4: I can sympathize with your problem about the light bulbs. I have read reviews about the Esteem that note that although the vehicle is reliable ( and I can verify that ) it has a record of having minor problems that owners complain about. I had my share of " minor " problems that showed up during the first 100,000km. My second 100,000km was virtually problem free and there is nothing wrong with the motor or the transmission. Anyhow, I had the same problem with my rear lights I think I blew about 4 0r 5 when the vehicle war really new. And, it really irked me. I had the opportunity to mention this fault to the district manager ( the warranty guy for the region ) He says well: you do a lot of stopping and starting, etc. Not much help here. I ended up going to a different dealership than I was visiting. After visiting this other dealership I never really had this problem again. Bad bulbs? Just a ruse to get you into the dealership? Who knows. I thought it was serious, but it wasn't. Hope this helps.
    Quality
  • chaser4chaser4 Member Posts: 2
    Well , I guess funny things can happen with any new car. Quality, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out here who is blowing out brake lights. This, by far has been the best experience I have ever had with any car I have ever owned. My last car (ugh!) was a 1995 Ford Contour GL V6.
    I owned it for 4 years, put 100k miles on it after I had purchased it with 23K. For 3 of the 4 years, it was OK. for the last year to 18 months, my God!!! This car was terrible! Repairs would have included exhaust sys from manifold back(I think a bad tune-up fouled my cat), new rear struts, new main seals, new clutch, new front sway bar mount........ you get the picture. Anyway, sorry to hear of the death of your 'Zuki, Quality. Hope everyone is OK. Anyone else who is on the fence about this car, get off the fence,go to the dealer, and buy one. You will not regret it. People always ask me if my car is a (gasp!) Subaru. I tell them what it is and what I paid for it. I get more positive comments about the appearance of the 'Zuki than anything else I've owned. Mine is kind of reddish-maroon with the spoiler over the rear window and the 15" Speedline wheels. It looks great.
  • Well, the trouble-free motoring days are over for our little wagon. A few weeks ago we began experiencing pulsations during braking. Sure enough, Suzuki in Kalamazoo told us the front rotors needed to be replaced. Now that the car has been fixed (under warranty) everything is back to normal.

I hope everyone else is fairing well behind the wheel.
    Sorry to hear about your brake problem. Thanks goodness for warranties. Glad to hear everything is back to normal now. Please keep us posted on any other issues. We look forward to hearing more....

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • kayo2kayo2 Member Posts: 1
    I am seriously considering getting a left-over 2002 GLX+ wagon and would like some recommendations as to quality, power and reliability. That zero down/zero interest is the lure. Also, if they are going to discontinue the Esteem, would that pose service problems down the line? I generally keep a car a long time. Thanks for any advice.
  • Hi Kayo.

I don't have any advice to offer you regarding whether to purchase a vehicle that is being discontinued, but I'll gladly relate my ownership history and driving experience.

My wife has driven 27,000 miles since we purchased our GLX+ in June 2001. Other than a rotor replacement issue that was covered under warranty, the Suzuki has been extremely reliable. The wagon certainly offers excellent value. It's difficult to find a vehicle with comparable features at such a low price. For a car that is marketed (albeit rarely) as economical transportation, it also benefits from a bit of sporty character.

Granted, we didn't purchase the Suzuki to drag around town, but it does have some healthy pick-up. It just takes a little time to get use to the acceleration. Stomping on the gas only reveals the tranny's jerky weakness. Smooth acceleration in this car comes with a measured amount of throttle input in order to reach redline.

My only qualm with the Suzuki is that it has rather floaty suspension. Take it for a test spin and you'll see what I mean. Hit a pothole or some uneven pavement and you'll float up and down for a quick spell.

The GLX+ is an all around solid little car. It has decent interior room, an abundance of features, a rather 80's looking cloth pattern and great exterior lines. The bonus is that you'll rarely see another one on the road. Cheap exclusivity...
    Kayo2:
    I have owned a 2000 wagon for about a year now. It had 5K when purchased, 15K now. Problems I have had are rattle in door, rattle in dash, rear seat latch rattles, and creaks and groans in the rear suspension in cool-cold weather. And the automatic overdrive lockout works only intermittently. All constant irritations, but no major problems. I would say it is about the same reliability/build quality as my college son's '98 escort.

Gas mileage is about average for this type of vehicle, acceleration a little above average, but the auto transmission is a little clunky. Comfort and highway quietness better than the escort. Radio controls maddeningly small, but maybe they have improved with later models. I would say you should want a purchase price significantly below invoice as depreciation is an issue.
  • lw2226lw2226 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2002 Esteem 4 door Sedan GLX with 4,000 miles asking price 10,000 any advice welcome
  • siriuslite31siriuslite31 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a 2001 Esteem wagon GLX with the 1.8 l. engine and 55,000km. The car has had only one flaw that the dealership still hasn't been able to fix after 7 visits. Last September 2001 when the weather got cold (frost on the ground), the car started up very rough but quickly went back to normal. A few days later the check engine light came on. The dealer ran the diagnostic and said the oxygen sensor had failed. They replaced that and a week later the light came on again. Then they started checking everything from the fuel cap for air leakage to gaps in the fuel system. Every few weeks after trying something new and re-setting the light, the check engine indicator would turn back on. At the end of August 2002, someone from the head office came out and did something that seemed to have fixed it (or so I thought). After a couple of months of no problems, the frost came and so the the really rough start up. Just like last time, 2 days later the check engine light has returned.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've searched the web and found a couple of other people who had the same complaint but no could explain the cause.

Otherwise, the car performs as well as a car in this price should. Nothing to write home about but gets me from A to B
  • tigercub1tigercub1 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a used Esteem , a 1998 with the smaller engine and the only option was Air Conditioning. My wife and I are very happy with the car. I can tell you that many times after a major purchase I get that felling that I bought the wrong thing or paid too much for whatever... But not this time! We love this car! It has 100,000 KM and you would think it was new. It looks great and drives very nicely.
    All the good adjectives describe the look and FEEL of this little car. It is big inside and rides like a bigger car yet is small outside and is economical to run. All this and with the manual shift and nimble steering it feels sporty too if you are so inclined to push it.
    and congrats on your recent purchase! I'm sure other owners passing through here will appreciate your notes. We look forward to hearing more about your Suzuki Esteem experience.... Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• mdsorentomdsorento Member Posts: 22
    I bought my 1.6 1999 gl a/c automatic wagon new, now it has 78000 miles, with a/c on all the time 30 ml/gl average (a/s on and air recicling all the time is my setting). The things I took the car back to fix are: Steering wheel misaligned, rear defroster had 2 lins inop, (they changed the rear window ) the leuver (left side n center console ) always loose when cold (all fixed the first month). I had the timing belt replaced at 66,000 miles and ask the dealer to check it for any problems, since i have the extended warranty to 75,000 miles. No problems Found by them, No problems encountered by me. no break downs.
    The brake pads replaced every 30+K miles. The transmision is automatic, but I like to use the OD off switch to shift down and the shifter to 2nd and to 1st It works as an stick shift for me ( this is my first automatic, always had stick shifter) I like it. Suzuki promised a reliable car on its brochure nothing else, and they have deliver so far....
  • tigercubtigercub Member Posts: 8
    yes I have a similar problem with my rear window. About half of the window's defroster doesn't work. But I'm living with it right now. I don't suppose anyone would know how to fix it?
    Gord
  • freckled1freckled1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm hoping other owners can help me. I have a 2000 GLX+. If you have the same, I'm wondering what kind of mileage you're getting. I feel my mileage is poor, but the dealer says they can't find anything wrong and they aren't too interested in investigating further. My warranty is up in a few months, so I'm looking for as much info as I can gather! My city mileage is ranging from 17-21mpg and my freeway mileage is 24-26mpg usually, with no passengers and the A/C off. Nowhere near the sticker estimates of 26-33! Thanks for any info you can provide!
  • pebrupebru Member Posts: 10
    In April 2002, I bought a 1998 Esteem GLX with the 1.6 liter engine and automatic transmission. The engine seemed to be running fine until we got colder weather. I heard a knocking sound which varied with the engine speed when the engine was cold and under load, i.e. I could not hear this sound when idling or when the engine has reached normal operating temperature.

A service technician at the dealership took only a few seconds of driving the car with a cold engine and advised me that the noise is piston slap; apparently a common problem with this vehicle. He suggested that the engine should last for quite a while without doing any work on it provided I let the engine warm up a little on cold mornings and that I do not put the engine under full load until it has reached its normal operating temperature.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? What have you done about it?
  • joelijoeli Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    I am in the market for a used wagon.
    I am debating between a 1999/2000 1.8L Esteem
    or 1999 Escort wagon.

I would be grateful for comments from people who owned both.

Thanks

Joeli Vancouver BC Canada