Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• Options
    mitsurobmitsurob Member Posts: 38
    Being a prospective GTO owner (I wish!), I appreciate the data on sales numbers. I think the sales numbers are appropriate to be reported in this forum too.
    I own a 02 bonneville, and sales numbers have been reported in that forum several times. The info always seemed of interest to all the members. I would never think to look somewhere else for this information.

I looked at the Holden site, and noticed they offer the electric sunroof option for the Monaro. There are two options I wished the GTO had for the U.S.: Sunroof and heated seats!!! It gets cold in the midwest and my bonny's heated seats are sure nice.
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    If you want a sunroof on your GTO, you can get the same exact model that's installed in the factory in Australia, the Webasto 710:

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/pontiac_gto_710.htm

They have a link where you can find the installers in your area. I'm told $1000-$1200. Don't know what the warranty is, but those who have it say it's a very high-quality unit. I'm interested in one too, but the $$$ isn't there right now and I want to sit in a car that has one (make sure headroom/et. al. isn't compromised much).

--Robert
  • Options
    brood1213brood1213 Member Posts: 27
    Are very good sunroofs. Put one in a LaCrosse CX and it was very good. After you turn off the ignition the sunroof automatically closes. And you can set preset openings and one touch operation.
  • Options
    mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    have you noticed the way the 2005 automatic transmission shifts out....1st gear is a straight gear.....putting the car in second.... there is no 1 to 2 upshift..just a straight 2nd

. "3" is from 1, to 2 to 3....... with a down shift from full throttle to 2 nd gear with tire -chipping wow..."D" IS FOR DRIVING IN THE CITY....FOR ANY DESIRED GAS gas mileage which is a oxymoron with GTO.... have you people noticed this????
    SO.... spotlight accleration..............FORGET ABOUT PUT IT in "2"..GOES STRAIGHT TO "2".............therefore have to launch in !st... shift out at 5500 rpm for best times........
    what are your experiences...thanks
  • Options
    gottabgtogottabgto Member Posts: 95
    Test drove a black 05 with the sports package yesterday.
    Wow!
    I'm still smiling.
    What an awesome, incredible car.
    100 felt like 50.
    Still shopping around, but hope to purchase within a month.
    The test drive convinced me - I must have a GTO!
  • Options
    ...I think that, if the critics and the "it's not a real GTO" folks ever took one for a spin, I believe the car would change their minds, just after one test-drive. It's that good. Refinement, quality of assembly, quality of materials, interior design and comfort are second to no other GM vehicle sold in the U.S. (and rival/surpass many more expensive cars). Incredible power on demand, great handling, decent ride for a sports car (it's not floaty but it's not a teeth-rattler). Subtle/sleeper yet attractive exterior design (I love the crease under the rocker panels that starts just before the rear wheels) that draws far more interest/attraction "on the street" than its "bland" reputation indicates. I believe it's the best overall package GM sells in the U.S., certainly for ~$30k.

Gets no respect, though. If the GTO had Toyota badging on it, what would the reviewers say?
  • Options
    442man442man Member Posts: 210
    I have to agree with you it is the best overall package GM sells in the US for $30k range. Too bad they couldnt' have brought the 4 door Monaro over here too.... the El Camino version.

It is a REAL GTO whether the critics want to believe it or not. The 1964 was the same thing, a Lemans Rebadged with GTO and more powerfull engine that resembled the other Pontiacs in the line up. Yet knowone criticizes the '64? hmm..

Car and driver said it was one of GM's best interiors/seats, better then the new C6 Vette. You are right, if it was called something else, esp Toyota badging the Critics would be in love with it.
  • Options
    I just bought a 2005 GTO Autmoatic andI have noticed that with 2nd be straight 2nd gear.

I usually do mostly city-in town driving so I leave my GTO in 3. I only use D if highway, etc.

I am averaging about 13 to 14 mpg in town.
  • Options
    I have been looking at cars for several months.
    Knew I wanted a GTO from the start but decided I should look at everything in the same price range.
    After looking at cars not only in the same price range, but also higher priced ones -I'd have to say - I think you get more car for the money with a GTO.
    Nothing else compares, in my opinion.
    And if you compare it to the corvette & caddy - well, the GTO gives me the same engine, but at a price I can afford.
  • Options
    zingerzinger Member Posts: 61
    Did you compare it to a 350Z Touring?
  • Options
    350Z Touring doesn't have a backseat though, GTO does.
  • Options
    :cry: CAR AND DRIVER JUNE 2005 page 38........"no 2008 GTO"....WITH NO 2007 GTO..it is over....enjoy the 2005/2006....my 2005 GTO is qute a car...too bad.....enjoy : :cry::cry:
  • Options
    The Zeta/GTO platform is only cancelled for North America as of now. There will be a new rear drive coupe/sedan in Austrailia based on the zeta platform by Holden. Maybe GM will import them again for 2007-2008 or change their mind on Zeta, never know!
  • Options
    jeffhall76jeffhall76 Member Posts: 52
    Here's an interesting website someone created showing a comparision between the Catera and GTO. The similiarities aren't astonishing but it's pretty easy to tell there are some similarities and they are built on the same platform. They seem more like 2nd cousins than first cousins.

http://www.danpalka.com/cateraperformance/images/cateragto.jpg
  • Options
    Actually, they are NOT built on the same platform - the Commodore/Monaro/GTO ride on Holden's V-chassis. Here's an article written by an Aussie, posted on another web site I can't link to due to Edmunds policy, that goes over the history of the V-chassis and how it's NOT the same as the Opel:

---

Just thought you all may like a brief history of the Holden Commodore which is not on the Opel Omega/Cadillac Catera, even though many of you have been told that the GTO is based on an Opel Omega chassis. I live in Australia and I know the full history of the adaptation of the Opel
    Senator into the Holden Commodore.

Here’s the true story. Opel had a model called ‘Senator’ which Holden decided to base their new car on in the late 70’s to replace their ‘Kingswood’ (and eventually it’s LWB ‘Statesman’) large car range in response to the oil crisis. It also had to replace the smaller Holden Torana. But they had to use Holden’s own designed old cast iron pushrod V8’s and sixes in the new car. But Opel’s Senator was too expensive with independent rear suspension. However Opel had a shorter lighter model
    called the ‘Record’ which shared most of the passenger cell with the Senator. So Opel and Holden decided to resurrect an old Opel name and created the 1978 'Commodore’ VB model by using the longer front from the Senator (which could take Holden’s 6-cylinder engine) and the rear doors, quarter panels and suspension of the Record which used a cheap live rear axle. And so the first large Holden to be based on an Opel used the Senator’s frame. You can see how the Holden Commodore uses the front of the Senator and the rear of the Record.

However, Holden did a lot of engineering changes for Australia’s harsh conditions but mainly to use as many parts from the old Kingswood to keeps costs down and limit reengineering for it’s local car parts suppliers here in OZ. Australia is a small market and low costs are critical. And this single fact dictates the entire rest of this story, because Holden and especially it’s suppliers could never afford to use a whole Opel design. They took the basic new Opel design and crammed it as full of carryover tough, rugged and proven components from previous Holden models. And they still do. Holden eventually upgraded it’s first Commodore by adding the rear doors, third rear window and rear quarters from the Senator making the 1984 Holden Commodore VK virtually an Opel Senator body fitted over a modified Holden Kingswood components and drivetrain.

Then in 1987 Opel brought out the new Senator B and Holden followed with the 1988 Commodore VN except that while it looks like the Opel Senator B with different grill and rear lights - only the doors are shared with the Opel’s body. Because Holden couldn’t afford to wind tunnel test and develop a new body on it’s own, it used just the shape of the new Opel. But because it had lost sales to Ford’s much larger ‘Falcon’ for ten years it knew it couldn’t use a shape as narrow as the Opel body. Holden also couldn’t afford to use new Opel frame and suspension, which it would have to reengineer to tougher standards and to suit local parts suppliers anyway. Therefore Holden simply welded sill extensions to its previous ten year old Commodore’s floorpan/frame and mounted over that a copy of the new Opel’s body, which had been widened by a few inches. Only the door skins were shared.

Unfortunately people complained that the old track width of the wheels looked too skinny under the new wider body and so eventually Holden developed a new Holden designed wider tracked suspension which was fitted to later models of that body style. In 1990 Holden also reintroduced the Statesman model name with a stretched LWB version of the VN Commodore. And this LWB VQ Statesman was fitted with a wider and tougher version of Opel’s independent rear suspension, which Holden had developed. This IRS was later offered as an option on some Commodore models in this body style series from 1991 onwards.

Then in 1994 Opel brought out the brand new Omega B that replaced both the Record and Senator models and ended the inline 6 engines for Opel, using a new V6 and I4 engines (It was also sold in the US as the Cadillac Catera). Again Holden decided to save money by using the wind tunnel tested and developed ‘shape’ of the new Opel. But it again had to widen it. This resulted in the new 1997 VT Commodore using a stylized copy of the now 3 year old Opel Omega. But again locally designed suspension and other locally sourced parts had to carry over into the new design. Again, only the doors were to be shared with the Opel, as well as a strengthened and modified copy of it’s independent rear suspension (which had been reengineered into a unique Holden version during the previous body) was used. However, as the body team worked on the style of the new VT Commodore (from which the Monaro/GTO was later engineered), even the rear door skins and glass were reshaped and so only the front doors were common with the Opel Omega B/Cadillac Catera. And of course the Holden Commodore now used the Buick 3.8 pushrod motor (with and without supercharger) and the Chevy Corvette LS1 engines matched to locally designed and sourced drivetrains and brakes etc. This also required a totally unique floorpan and framework than the narrower and lighter Opel/Catera.

To reaffirm that the Commodore and Omega are two different engineering products you can visually see that the Commodore is a much wider and bigger vehicle than the Omega. And look at things like the roof of each car. Note that the Omega’s roof is a single pressing while the Commodore has a three-piece pressing. Given that the passenger cell is a major frame component in a monocoque design - this is a significant difference on it’s own. But also follow the carriage line under the side windows forward to where they intersect the front. Note how this virtually straight line sweeps over the top of the Omega headlights yet intersects the side blinkers on the Commodore. And the bonnet shut lines on the Commodore are more inboard than the Omega’s. This is because the entire shape of the front and even the substructure in the Commodore are different And underneath is even more different. A car needing to carry a heavy 5.7 LS1 has to have a different frame from a vehicle whose heaviest engine is a 3.0 V6.

And that is the story of how and why the Australian Commodore, from which the Monaro/GTO was derived, may have a similar ‘look’ to Opels, from whom the styling was sourced. However, underneath the skin, which they don’t even share, they are completely different animals.
  • Options
    285 HP?
    V6?
    And it's $34k?
    Looks like a fun car & all but I'd take the GTO over that anyday.
  • Options
    ironwillironwill Member Posts: 2
    Their really going to stop production of the GTO. That sucks so bad i wonted to get the 08 dang what car am i going to get now

*****You know that the skyline is coming here in 08*****
    I think i might get that now. THey say it's going to have up to 450 horse power
    http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/nissan/skyline/r35/concept/home.shtml

That picture is not what it is expose to look like
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    I usually do mostly city-in town driving so I leave my GTO in 3. I only use D if highway, etc.

Try putting it in OD and see how your mileage is. With a 3.46 rear, the LS2 can use 4th just fine, even at slower around-town speeds.
  • Options
    What speed will the Automatic trans GTO shift into 4th or OD? I am assuming not until 40 or 45mph. Usually I'm only driving in 25 and 35mph zones with traffic lights etc.
  • Options
    kevm14kevm14 Member Posts: 423
    You'd have to ask an owner, but I'd guess as early as ~30mph.
  • Options
    sputterguysputterguy Member Posts: 383
    Ah, but that was before Kirk Kirkorian announced he is buying 28,000,000,000 shares of GM stock.
  • Options
    http://www.gmfleet.com/us/acquiring...Truck_Guide.pdf

Only 3 minor changes and 2 new colors for 2006 GTO. They are getting rid of Yellow and Midnight Blue and replacing that with Spice Red and Brazen Orange.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Power outlet (?) and "darkened taillights" in addition to the two new colors. This means that I will probably look for a low miles 2005 cyclone/black A4 when the SmartBuy on my 04 is up in Sept. 06 instead of looking at a new 06. No reason to spend the extra $10,000 on a new 06 to get an additional power outlet and darkened taillights. LS2 and improved brakes (plus I love cyclone gray) will make it worth buying an 05 over my 04, especially since the buyout on my 04 will be just over $21,000 and I should be able to pick up a year old 05 for that by then.
  • Options
    how do you check the coolant level on the 2005 GTO....reservoir tank is under a shroud...has a dipstick???what level cold/hot...what coolant should i use....car manual says nothing...thanks..

p.s. yes saw the new "2006",,,,,,,,how do i get "darkened tailghts"" or should i just put black tint on my 2005....yeah...that will make it a 2006...................boy Pontiac is really making big changes and investments in the GTO.....it is only matter of time before it is "by by american pie"...

hope they don't do to GM WORKERS what they did to AIRLINE COMPANY employees.....pay cuts/health benefit cuts/ and PENSION cuts
    soon parts will start falling of planes....hope i don't need service on my PONTIAC....NOBODY WILL AROUND... :(:(
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    Brazen Orange could be a cool color.
  • Options
    4th gear or D on the automatic does engage as early as 30mph. 4th gear at 30mph is only about 1000rpm if that. Not much faster then idling. Hoping for better gas mileage now. Most cars it usually doesn't work until about 40-45mph.
  • Options
    What octane are you using?
  • Options
    Can anybody give me the address of the site where you can find out which GTOs are at which dealers? thanks
  • Options
  • Options
    You always come through, thanks Robert.
  • Options
    I use 93 octane in my 2005 Automatic tranny GTO.
  • Options
    Broke down and got a black on black, automatic, 05 yesterday.
    Had exactly 4 miles on it.
    Pick it up tomorrow - they need to clean it up (the union guy's don't work weekends).
    Declined on the clear coat finish (another $700) - would like to hear what others do in terms of maintaining the finish. Mine will be in the garage except on weekends - not going to use it for commuting.
    So what's the best wax & other info/tips on keeping it looking good?
  • Options
    dmarcus48dmarcus48 Member Posts: 139
    Don't have a GTO, its one of my "maybe" cars for the next goround. For detailing tips try:
    www.autopia.org, great bunch of guys.

Dave
  • Options
    Congrats on the new car!

Here are some tips:

1) double-check the tire pressure. They get put on the boat with 60 psi in the tires, to keep them from flat-spotting. Most dealers don't do the Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) and thus you think the thing rides like a truck. Reduce the tire pressure to 35 psi and you'll be fine.
    2) Conversely, check the tire pressure of the spare. I believe it should be 60 psi and is often quite less.
    3) There are "spring spacers" in the front suspension. Have them put it up on a hoist and make sure these either bright red/orange, or even black, devices are out of your front struts. #1 and #3 were not done when I picked up my first GTO and I drove it around for a couple of weeks like that - contributed to the problems my first car had which led to it getting exchanged.
    4) It's your car, but I wouldn't let the dealership prep boys touch either of my GTOs (would put in some free swirls for you). I do my own detailing, thank you. Seen too many dealer-caused problems to ever let their entry-level detail person touch the finish of my car (won't even let them wash it when I take it in for service). The paint is a little thin/easy to chip on these cars as it is, so why start off with problems?

As for what to use to take care of your paint, I've had great experiences with Zaino products (http://www.zainostore.com). There is a Zaino discussion area on this site, so I won't say too much here. There's another GTO-specific site that I visit frequently and a very large percentage of those folks have either tried Zaino and become addicted, or are already Zaino users. I've been using Zaino for 4+ years on multiple vehicles and am very happy with the results...

--Robert
  • Options
    There are a multitude of replacement taillamp options for the GTO's. There are a few variants of "427" style taillamps, which have clear rings (think Altezzas). I also saw one with "smoked" colored taillamps. I think you can get these from either JHP or Burg Design:

http://www.jhp.com.au/
    http://www.burgdesign.com.au/

As to the '06's, I've seen a Monaro in the orange color and it's quite stunning, IMHO.

I also believe the '06 will have a door lock switch somewhere in the center console, rather than just the lock assemblies on the doors (and on the keyfob)...

--Robert
  • Options
    Great advice Robert - thank you.
    I should have thought of the whole 'I wouldn't let the dealership prep boys touch either of my GTOs (would put in some free swirls for you).' myself. Especially since they were really pushing the clear coat finish to avoid those dreaded swirls....
    I'll follow up on the items you mentioned when I pick it up this afternoon - I really appreciate that valuable feedback and the Zaino recommendation.

I also checked out the autopia website - some good info there. I'm sure I'll be going back often. Thanks for that Dave.

I'm about 9 hours away from being an official GTO owner, i.e. actually having the car in my possession.
    Excited?
    Oh no, not at all ;~}
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congrats on the new car! I do hope you'll post about your experience in the Pontiac GTO: Prices Paid and Buying Experience Forum.

As for your questions about maintaining your car's finish, there are several discussions going on right now in the Maintenance & Repair Forum, where you can ask our resident experts for their opinions.

ClaireS

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    Hello all,
    I know hammen from the Oldsmobile Aurora board. I'm considering replacing my girl with a GTO. Love everything about the GTO, understated looks, massive power, excellent handling, classy interior... I own an Oldsmobile Aurora so I don't care about resale. Just had a couple questions to ask.

1.) How's the GTO's interior room? I'm a big guy, 6'4" 210lbs. Will I be comfortable?
    2.) I know its a 2-door, but is the back seat usable for 2 adults?
    3.) I heard that the 4-speed auto was faster then the 6-speed stick, is this true? I wouldn't mind using a stick, but if the 4's faster, why bother?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

Thanks
    Shawn
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    answers -

1- I am 6'4" 200 lbs. and have no problem getting comfortable. I do have to duck my head getting in/out.

2- I would not want to sit back there. My two kids have no problems though.

3- If I remember correctly, the auto and manual are very close for 05. I highly doubt that any of us could tell a difference.

For what it is worth, I have had my 6-spd since Sept. and love it. Drove it all winter without any problems. One thing is that gas mileage is pretty bad - I have averaged 12.5mpg over 6000 miles. Although all of it is city driving and I drive it fairly hard.
  • Options
    tolenashtolenash Member Posts: 52
    Anyone know who makes the seat belt assemblies for the GTO?
  • Options
    Hey there,

You could have just asked me :-)

1) Interior space is great for both tall people (b4z has a GTO, he's 6'8" and bigger people (there are some folks on another GTO discussion board pushing 350+ pounds). You have to adjust the seat, and duck your head getting in (painful clunk if you don't). Don't forget that the steering wheel not only tilts, but also telescopes! The seats are awesome! Feels like they are holding you snugly.
    2) Back seat IS usable for 2 adults. It's a bit of a PITA to get back there (must flip the little lever over to move the seatback forward, then push in the little button and wait for the SSSSSLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW seat motor to casually glide the seat forward. Those crazy Aussies have more time on their hands than us Type-A Americans, I guess). Getting out is a bigger PITA, but do-able. I believe there's more usable back seat room/comfort than any recent Mustang, Camaro/Firebird, 350z, et. al.
    3) Yep, the A4 is pretty fast. It's the choice of dragstrip vets due to its consistancy. The stock computer tune on the GTO limits the performance due to "torque management" on the A4. Fortunately, you can use something like a Diablosport Predator to tune it, or take it somewhere to get a dyno tune. Would strongly suggest you drive both cars. I have to go to/through Chicago frequently and the thought of having to shift frequently/have a bigger left calf and thigh due to working the clutch, didn't appeal to me. Lots of folks don't like the long throws and rubbery feel of the stock manual shifter - many like the RipShift from GM Motorsport, so there's no panacea here...

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • Options
    regerege Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 05' goat two months ago. I bought a torrid red with red interior and the Automatic. I drove the 6 speed for about 7 hours (the dealership was real cool about letting me take it). I really liked the stick, It was somewhat more fun to drive but I could'nt find room to rest my left foot on the dead pedal because there isn't enough room between the clutch and the kick plate to squeeze you foot through. The Auto is about 0.1 seconds faster in 0-60 and a little more than that in the quarter. The back buckets are extremely comfortable and I did ride in them once when my wife drove it (just to try them out). not much leg room if the front driver or passenger has the seat back all the way. The biggest problem is getting inand out of the back. Kids do fine though. I'm sure that once your in the car and take it for a ride, there's no reason that you would not want to get it. Be one of us few (they're only making 12,000 this year) 05' goat owners. Everyone else can get their dime-a-dozen cars. We'll be lookin' at them though our rear view. Good luck
  • Options
    The backseat is very comfortable and plenty of room on the GTO, one of my reasons for buying it. I road it on a 1hr road-trip, 4 people in the car. I'm close to 6'0 tall and had no problem. PITA to get there and out, but very nice once there. I have a 2005 Impulse Blue/Bermuda Blue interior A4.

12,000 GTO's or 200,000 Mustangs.
  • Options
    Just checked this out. It casts a wider net that gmbuypower. thanks

Congratulations on your new GTO...
  • Options
    Thanks, I am enjoying it.
    It really is an awesome car.
    Now I'm gonna become a polishing fanatic but I'm having fun!

I had been looking at every site I could and once I found that locater I was able to track down exactly what car each dealer in No. Ca. had on hand. It also has a clickable window sticker for each car that I thought was a handy tool.
  • Options
    Where do you live?

I thought I found a cyclone grey 6-speed which is what I am looking for at Stevens Creek GM so I went there and it wasn't there. So maybe it's in transit. Interestingly, when I pulled up in front in my Quicksilver '04, there was a Quicksilver '04 across the street in front of the Toyota dealer. I think I've seen maybe four other GTOs on the road. What are the chances I'd see one just like mine parked on the other side of the street? Freaked out the saleman too.
  • Options
    That is funny.
    I have yet to see a GTO on the road and I have been actively looking for a couple of months. My whole family has been on the lookout and no one has seen anything.
    I'm in the Bay Area too.
    Got mine at Capitol in San Jose.
    They have a silver, 6-speed, 2005 and a red automatic.
    Or at least they did on Monday.
    Did you check Colma?
    They had a cyclone grey - but it may be gone.
  • Options
    As you have discovered, Pontiac.com/GMBuyPower.com list the cars when they ship to the dealer, not when they arrive. So, it may look like there are more cars there than there actually are. Best to talk to a sales rep and verify the vehicle is incoming and not sold. There seem to be a lot of cars on the docks in Australia/on boats, waiting to come over. Most of the dealers around me don't have any '05's - sold the ones they had...

--Robert
  • Options
    Everyone seems to have a Quicksilver. My wife will absolutely not allow me to get another silver GTO. She does like the cyclone grey which I like too. I've seen the cyclone grey one at Colma, I may have already driven it but they added after market rims and a sunroof since then so I don't know if it's the same one. I was going to check it out but it's not listed on those two sites so it may have sold. I should have checked it out sooner.
This discussion has been closed.