Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2004+)

Comments

• Options
    mxylplik2mxylplik2 Member Posts: 19
    A small rock/gravel hit the windshield at highway speed. Its not a crack but a oval shaped chip. From the outside, there is a very small hole. Luckily, its not in the line of driving sight.

Is there a self-repair kit or should I go to the dealer or an windshield repair place?

I want to do something fairly soon as to prevent it from getting bigger.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    synthesissynthesis Member Posts: 2
    The dash break light started flickering on/off... staying on for a minute or two and then turning off. Any ideas on what the cause of this is? This is a new Sienna with only 500 miles on it!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You might want to have it professionally repaired instead of doing it yourself. I had that done once, and the repair was free (insurance companies like doing that instead of replacing the windshield) and if it didn't work or look right, they would replace the windshield.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Marginally low brake fluid level.
  • Options
    lalalalalalalalalala Member Posts: 30
    In the case of windshield chips, my insurance deductible does not apply, therefore no out of pocket cost. Call your insurance company to confirm, & definitely do it before it gets bigger.
  • Options
    doc4x4doc4x4 Member Posts: 1
    Everyone knows that most of the people posting here are people who have problems/issues with their vehicles. Just because there are a couple hundred posts of issues does NOT mean that the car has bad reliability.

About a 18 months ago I purchased a GMC Envoy XL (7 seater) SLT 4x4. I was a little horrified to see the frequency of posts of issues on it on Edmonds... but felt some comfort in noting that there are probably tons of people who aren't having problems that are NOT posting. That forum started Jan 2001... and currently has over 14 THOUSAND posts (more pages of posts than there are posts here).

Now to be fair... this Sienna forum started May 2003... but still the frequency of posts is considerably less. I've been following the forum from a far for the last month or so.

Ordered a Sienna AWD XLE with curtain airbags (going to get aftermarket DVD) about 10 days ago, which is being made TODAY... and I'm getting really darn excited (even though it's going to be my wife's vehicle). Based on my research I think that this vehicle is the best Minivan available, with money no option.

Now if they only made one with 350 HP for dad's... BTW - I haven't had any issues with the Envoy XL, runs great (of course it doesn't have 350 horse either).
  • Options
    bosco9bosco9 Member Posts: 16
    We took our AWD Sienna on it's first road trip and going over a mountain pass the malfunction light and the VSC warning light both lit up.Once we got to our destination the lights went off. Does anyone know what might have caused this?
  • Options
    But I have seen several posts that lead me to suspect that the VSC/Trac system has a "time-out" function. To me it appears that with extended useage, VSC/Trac activation again and again, within a relatively short period the system becomes automatically disabled.

I have suggested that this might be to protect the fairly small and apparently light duty cycle ABS pumpmotor from over-heating and thereby failing completely but have no confirmation of that.

In my own instance (01 AWD RX) the light came on when I "forced" a non-recovery from a severe yawing condition.

But like the independent Trac pumpmotor on the 92 LS400 it always seems to reset, extinguish, on the next engine start cycle.

I guess Toyota/Lexus doesn't expect mother nature to create adverse roadbed conditions, packed snow and/or ice, for extended distances.
  • Options
    The VSC/Trac "time-out" might also be there to prevent brake rotor warppage. ON my 01 AWD RX300 if the driven, front, wheels, start to slip it will quite quickly apply braking to help distribute the torque to the non-slipping, presumptive, REAR, wheels.

If the driver doesn't react fairly quickly and lift the throttle the system will then dethrottle the engine.

One can see that if the brake were to be used continuously in this manner at high engine RPMs the rotors would likely overheat fairly quickly.

The same is true for intermittent, but "continuous" activation of the VSC/Trac system, the rotors might overheat and warp.

I have read posts, I believe on the Sequoia thread, that the time-out for absolutely CONTINUOUS useage is on the order of 45 seconds.

I would suggest that maybe the VSC/Trac was flashing on and off intermittently as you drove over the mountain pass and after a long period of time and you did not modify your driving style to alleviate the possiblity of rotor overheating it simply timed out.
  • Options
    dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    My XLE seems to stick in 3rd gear for maybe 5-10 seconds longer when its cold. Is this normal?
    Jerry
  • Options
    colorbokcolorbok Member Posts: 7
    Hello - my 10 day old Sienna's front end shakes and vibrates. I've had the tires balanced twice - still there. Dealer thinks it's bad tires - I feel it's a mechanical issue. Anyone had similar experience? What result? Fighting with them again tomorrow...
    Thanks all!!
  • Options
    dstangedstange Member Posts: 6
    How careful must owners be with maintenance issues to avoid voiding the warranty? For example, the maintenance schedule requires that ball joints and dust covers, among 5 other things, be inspected as early as 7,500 miles or 4 months. I have a hard time imaging that many people actually do this. Yet, I do not want to void my warranty by not doing it.

If I don't do all of this and then have a problem, will Toyota really look to void the warranty? I also bought an extended warranty since this was a first year production model. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    mitchb711mitchb711 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone please share with me successful methods on using DVD-R or DVD+R in the 04 Sienna rear entertainment system.
    I have tried both Memorex and TDK DVD+R and DVD-R media with no luck. I tried writing at 1X also but still no luck.
    Much thanks,
    Mitchell
  • Options
    falls1falls1 Member Posts: 13
    Mitch:
     Can you check the manufacture for the readablity of + or -. I Have seen it on home DVDs, but I was looking at some Audiovox models on internet and nothing mentioned if the system played + or -. Does anyone know if the Sienna comes prewired for the DVD player to be installed aftermarket??
  • Options
    kumar9024kumar9024 Member Posts: 3
    I have a yellow light on the dash (Mntd Reqd) that just came on at 5,000 mile mark.Does anyone know what this is for.
  • Options
    freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    Something tells me you can find details on this in your owner's manual. Have you had the oil changed yet?

To reset the light, turn ignition on. Change the odometer/trip display from trip to odometer if necessary. Hold down the reset button but do not release. Turn off ignition and then back on. While holding down reset button still, you'll see the mileage temporarily blink "-- -- --". You can now release the reset button.
  • Options
    jccothjccoth Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone assist in programming a "rolling code" garage door opener in this Sienna? I followed the Sienna manual and the garage door manual and neither route worked. I found the "learning" button on the garage door and know that it is functioning correctly, but it won't seem to program the opener buttons in the Sienna.
  • Options
    naginnagin Member Posts: 5
    Go to www.homelink.com and I think you will find the answer as to how to program.
  • Options
    garnerjgarnerj Member Posts: 31
    Any ideas? The INST mode for MPG on the homelink always reads 0. The other functions work. Is there a reset or something?
  • Options
    impact01impact01 Member Posts: 95
    You get zero when the car is moving?. When stopped, instant is always 0 as it should be.
  • Options
    garnerjgarnerj Member Posts: 31
    Well now its working fine... Several time I moved over to it and it was 0. Then I tried it this morning and it started working.. Perhaps I was flipping through it too fast...
  • Options
    bigbrownfambigbrownfam Member Posts: 2
    I've read the entries dealing with the interior lights not turning off automatically on the '04 Sienna. From what I've read there is no solution. I left my rear hatch ajar yesterday and today my battery is dead and won't take a jump (really dead). Since I have four small children I'm not always double checking to make sure the doors are all closed securely. For me this makes the Sienna extremely unreliable. Does anyone have any wisdom? I lodged a complaint with NHTSA, ODI, and wasn't the first.
  • Options
    impact01impact01 Member Posts: 95
    Send in a strong EMail to Toyota asking for a fix. It appears Toyota is taking the so called domestic car makers' attitude in responding to this problem. If you are really unhappy, the other option is to force Toyota to go to arbitration to buy their van back. They made a design/ implementation mistake and I can't believe they don't want to fix this. Additionally, they should give you a new battery too!.
  • Options
    I'm guessing the whoever told you that was in line to sell you a new battery. It is extremely unlikely that a new (04 MY) battery could be discharged so deeply as to not be rechargable.

Even Toyota's Lexus product line has this problem, a door slightly ajar and the next morning a dead battery.
  • Options
    iwannasiennaiwannasienna Member Posts: 7
    Hello - I posted a few months ago and mentioned some rattling/creaking noises coming from the power passenger door - well, now the same noises are coming from the two front doors as well! It's not a *huge* noisy problem, but definitely annoying and the otherwise very quiet ride of the van is disturbed. When I went to the dealer to have them check into it, they drove the car and said: "We notice the noises, but all the doors are operating to specification. No one else has made a similar complaint. We'll document the problem and keep our ears open to see if Toyota has any comments about this." Well, I had to leave because my two-year old was kicking up a fuss, but I was NOT satisfied with this answer. This car should be free of rattles with only 3000 miles. Does anyone have advice as to my next step? Do I keep working through my dealership? Do I insist they replace the door seals? That seems to be where the noises are coming from - it sounds kind of "sticky", that's my best description. I'm not sure what my next move should be. Thanks for any help!!
  • Options
    a while back i came across some postings in the National Highway Safety website & those were formal complaints filed by a few owners of 2004 Sienna reporting door rattle problems.
  • Options
    dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    Ok, I checked the manual and it sez that overdrive won't work when car is cold. Mine seems to be stuck in 3rd at about 30 mph when cold. It will finally go into 4th after maybe another quarter mile. Anyone else seen this?
    Jerry
  • Options
    grapevinetxgrapevinetx Member Posts: 89
    Yes, I've seen the slow shifting when cold. To my knowledge, all Toyota automatics do it. It's a design feature to heat the engine and catalytic converter faster. As long as your shift points return to normal when the engine starts to show temperature, your vehicle is probably operating as designed.
  • Options
    mallubullmallubull Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I am considering a Sienna XLE Ltd with HO Package #6. Cosidering Limited because my wife and I think that the park assit will be a very useful feature in tight parking spaces and the camera willbe generally useful while backing up. (She is sort of short and thinks this willhelp ful for her!). I would appreciate if the current owners using these feature can comment on:

1. Does park assit help at all ? Is the warning too aggressive in giving warning, when you could really park safely ?

2. Is the quality of the rear view camere good? Is the angle of coverage good enough to use realiably for back up?

3. ANy comments on dynamic cruise control ?

I do not care for navigation or dvd entertainment -but forced to for Limited with #6 (with over $3000 extra) just to get these features. I do not mind paying if it works well.

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    ewtewt Member Posts: 127
    I've got a Limited with the HO/#6 package. I don't use the park assist 99% of the time because it goes off when I go in and out of my garage, and the rear view camera gives me a very good idea of how much space I have behind me. The rear view camera is excellent and a big help in backing up/parking.

The dynamic cruise control is a very nice feature. It is a little too aggressive at hitting the brakes at times, but it allows you to use the cruise control in situations where normal cruise control would be useless because you'd be cycling it on an off all the time.
  • Options
    chuy8chuy8 Member Posts: 4
    you might have them check the shocks. I got a sienna in 8/03, and already replaced both rear shocks. noticed some vibration but nothing real bad until i drove behind my wife and saw the rear wheel bouncing like a basket ball. it was all covered under warranty but they shouldn't go out so quick.
  • Options
    chuy8chuy8 Member Posts: 4
    has anyone else noticed when the vents are on, cold, the air coming out is still warm? if it is 65 outside, and I am on the freeway, i still have to push in the AC button because the vents will blow warm air. I know that i do not have the recirculate button on.
    I am also getting a ticking from my speakers when I go over bumps or turn up the base, anyone else?
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    Are there any lubricating prcedures that need to be done on a regualer basis to the power sliding doors, and power rear hatch? What needs to be looked at and/or cleaned to keep those doors openning and closing correctly?
  • Options
    arhowarhow Member Posts: 7
    has anyone experienced brake pull with 4 wheel
    disc`s?
  • Options
    vitulavitula Member Posts: 3
    I have the limited w/package 4. The first month I did not use the park assist that much. However, recently I've begun to use it much more. The first warning -- I have interpreted that to mean "object ahead." It'll beep faster if you're about to hit something-- that's when it's time to stop. This helps when I pull into our garage since I have the recycle bins in front of the van. It has eliminated the guess work and problem of not pulling in far enough sometimes.
  • Options
    weid4weid4 Member Posts: 10
    I just found out I have a radiator leak and have to have it replaced. The technician told me he has seen several others on cars built around the same time (September 2003) and it appeared to be a manufacturing defect. If your car was built around this time, it may be worth checking out. Our leak was minor and caught early, so no harm done. Has anyone else heard of this being a problem. It was news to me.
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    At another board I frequent there have been 5 or 6 radiators with leaks at the upper right hose as I recall. It is not so far covered by a TSB, but all have been replaced cheerfully and without fanfare. Mine has not leaked, built in Dec '03.

It pays to check under the hood even on a new car.
  • Options
    12puritan12puritan Member Posts: 4
    My radiator needs to be replaced due to a leak. If that is not bad enough, Toyota can't get a replacement for 3-4 weeks and the car is not drivable. Anyone else have a bad radiator??

Kinda stinks after paying top dollar last summer for a Sienna.
  • Options
    hisiennahisienna Member Posts: 4
    Just took our sienna in for some rattles I was hearing coming from the rear of the van. They put some kind of lubrication on the doors and around the rear window and it seems to have gone away. I remember there was some discussion of this several months ago and someone wrote that there's a lube for the Honda Odyssey specifically for these parts and it works well.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's a post about the Honda sliding door grease:

masshoosier "Honda Odyssey XXIX" Oct 23, 2000 9:45pm

Steve, Host
  • Options
    12puritan, my technician told me he could get the part within 3-7 days. He said he put in an emergency order and that Toyota would take it off the manufacturing line. I guess time will tell. While I am disappointed in the quality issue, I am pleased with how aggressively they handled it (as far as identifying and jumping on the problem and sending us home with a decent loaner).
  • Options
    Just got a call from the dealer saying radiator delivered and installed. I guess I jumped the gun on the aggressiveness comment, however, because they also told me they smashed my front bumper pulling the van into the shop. Ouch. At least my radiator doesn't leak...
  • Options
    Weid4, I'm glad you have your radiator. On the up side, my dealer has given me a CE as a loaner until i get my LE back. They are still talking 3 weeks out!!

What is with radiators going at 8K miles...?
  • Options
    A few days ago, an 04 Sienna was pulled in front of me while I was driving along a busy street. We got to the light & we both stopped. As the light turned green, the Sienna that was ahead of me sped away, I clearly saw a stream of (water?) coming (more like pouring out) out of the exhaust pipe, leaving a trail of (water?) on the road & as that van cruised at ~40 mph, the trail became dribbles & then steam. I wonder if that is normal, & now I'm worried about my exhaust pipe doing the same thing. Any idea what might be happening there? Thanks
  • Options
    kksdadkksdad Member Posts: 28
    My XLE was delivered with Dunlop SP 4000's, which I have never heard of nor have I read anything "exciting" about them, they are basically average, if not mediocre. I can't wait to replace them, anybody have recommendations on how I can "improve", mainly for driving in the San Francisco Bay Area? Thanks for sharing your comments!
  • Options
    bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    With a rolling code gargae door opener, you must have two people to program it. Go up to the motor drive part of garage door opener and push the button (usually red) on Sears. Right after you push the button, have someone push the button in van that you want to use (1,2 or 3). It should make a clicking noise on garage door opener and then have them push it again and it should work the door.
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    The process of combustion produces a variety of chemicals among them being water. The catalytic converter accentuates this as it causes some of the chemicals to break down into less environmentally damaging compounds.

The water and steam is normal, especially when the vehicle is just started and is running a bit rich. When the exhaust system is still "cool" the water will run out as you observed due to the water vapor condensing on the inside surfaces of the exhaust. As it (the exhaust system) heats up the temperature of the exhaust gases remain hot enough that the water doesn't condense on the steel parts as it makes its way out so you see "steam".

All of this is normal. What it does point out is that vehicles that are driven short distances don't heat up the exhaust system and some of the water remains in the system causing the system to rust out. The more you can drive a decent distance that fully heats up the system the better to get the water out.

So not to worry.
  • Options
    bosco9bosco9 Member Posts: 16
    Well my worst fears came true...as yesterday, I started my 2004 Sienna AWD XLE, and it refused to move past 20 MPH. Pressing on the accelator had no response. The VCS light came on, and we limped to the dealer. The day before...the battery died.Anyone know what could have caused this? And what is all this garbage about Toyota quality? So, far with 1800 miles on this van I have had a serious oil leak and now this fiasco.If anyone has info. that can be passed onto the service department please let me know. I have already told them to check the tranny service bulletin, as they try to figure out the problem.
  • Options
    thanks.
  • Options
    Just for the record. My radiator was replaced yesterday (6 business days) from when it failed. Maybe calling Toyota actually helped cut the original estimate of 3-4 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.