Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Aveo New Owner Reports!

aveo_bobaveo_bob Member Posts: 8
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
I'm super excited, I just picked up my victory red Aveo hatch last night. It should make my 25 mile commute a little easier on the wallet.

Comments

• randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I was just courious if it is a 5-speed or autobox. :confuse:
    Oh, by the way does anyone know when the 2006's officially come out?
  • aveo_bobaveo_bob Member Posts: 8
    It's a 5-speed. I'm cheap, plus 5-speeds are more fun and it has a little more pep. Now I need to teach the wife how to drive it.

As far as the 2006, you can build one on the chevy website, but when you try and locate one any zip code I use there isn't one within 100 miles. So who knows when it will arrive on the lots.
  • closetblondeclosetblonde Member Posts: 2
    :) I just bought a 2006 Aveo 5-door LT in Aqua this past weekend. I love it.

Any idea how much it would cost to get the fog lamps installed now? I'd like to have the controller on the headlamp stick, if possible.
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    That is a neat color. I am not sure about the prices but I would expect it to cost at least $200. The lights themselves can be purchased from the dealer but at a higher price. If you are serious you can find lights that fit the covered holes in air dam at a better price. This can probably be done for under $75 and can be hooked up by a good do-it-yourselfer. I am not aware of any separate controls for on the stalk for driving lights, but I am sure they can be wired to come on with the headlights. Normally there is a separate switch on the dashboard for driving lights. You may see if you can get your car salesman to help you on a price if thats the way you want to go.
  • closetblondeclosetblonde Member Posts: 2
    The color is very cool. I can't follow anyone now, though, LOL. If someone jumps in and says, "Follow that car!", I'll be seen a mile away!
  • toomuchrocktoomuchrock Member Posts: 19
    :)
    I bought my aveo about a month ago and So far have loved nearly everything about it.
    I have a 2006, LT hatchback, with automatic trans, and i believe nearly every option available. I figured i could go all out with the aveo for near the same price as the most basic of the basic cobalts. I think i made the better choice.

Pros:
    -Extremely Spacious on the Inside, tons bigger than you'd think
    -MP3 CD player(standard on the LT) is very convenient
    - rear seats fold up to nearly tripple cargo space
    - the alloy wheels are attractive and not gaudy, i tend to be extreamly picky about apperance mods, and these are not overwhelming and yet still incredibly stylish
    - Sunroof is very fun
    - tilt steering wheel makes it convenient for myself and my boyfriend to drive comfortably
    - Economical--- maxxed out, cost less than the most basic cobalt. I went the dealership to purchase a 2001 VW Beetle, which i had been swooning over, but the brand new aveo actually ended up costing considerably less with warranty, interest rates, and mileage considered.
    -Very low interest rate... GM standard rate on this Car, for qualified is as low as 1.9% for up to 3 years. I did 5 years and it only bumped it up to 3.9%.. I'm also 20, and have never bought a car before.
    -Rear window Wind sheild wiper is very convient
    -I can park nearly anywhere, bear in mind I've been a bit anal about where i park because i just got it, but it generally takes up about half a parking space(i can litterally parallel park by pulling straight in, no backing up or anything)
    -Cruise Control- I have never owned a car with the feature before, but i will never buy another that doesnthave it. This makes driving so much more convient and comfortable. Also, the car has a feature so you can pretty much control the cruising speeeding completely from the cruise controls simply by holding the button down or tapping it a few times to accelerate or deselerate, this is extreamly conveint and one of my most favorite things about the car
    -it chirps!- when you lock the doors it chirps, rather than just honking the horn, it makes a very distinct sound that was described to me by a co-worker as 'sounds like someone stepped on a rat'... but i adore it! Also, it will not churp if all the doors are not shut properly and therefor informs you the security system is not armed
    -Its cute and very funy to drive... I'm constantly asked 'what kind of car is that... ive never seen that before... or Is that a European car?'
    - my dealership has been incredibly helpful and I've probably called them once every 3 days since I've bought it and they have answered every question friendly and confiedently.

Cons:
    -No armrest! - I'm not sure if this was an option, but becuase it lacks a center console, or armrests it can be a little uncomfortable on extended drives. I feel awkward without somewhere to put my arm.
    -Milelage - Sticker said 24-35. I drive to school 4 days a week 15 miles round trip. Work 4 days a week 17 miles round trip. Majority of which is highway milelage with minimal redlights or slow downs. I average about 27 MPG, which is considerably lower than I exspected. However... it could be attributed to the fact that most of my trips last less than 10 miles at a time and actually starting the car requires a great amount of gas. After my 3 months oilchange, and the intial break in of course, i will be a bit disapointed if this doesnt improve.
    -Keyless Entry Range- Range for the Remote is about 20 feet... this completely eliminates opening the car from inside the house so you dont have to take this with you at 1am when you need to go get your anatomy book.
    Doors- You have to make an effort to close the door. I beleive this is because they are so light weight. With my cavalier when you barely pushed the door it would close tight wihtout a problem. I have to make sure i put enough force behind closing the door. This could be with alot of the new Chevys, because I've noticed my dad's new HHR is the same way.
    -Not sirius Ready- I am extreamly addicted to Sirius for various reasons and am dissapointed that its not Sirius ready. I think that GM has a contract with XM, but i dont even think its XM ready as a matter of fact. Even though the add on tuner is $300, i would have gladly paid it to have to ability to not have to have a seperate unit to clutter up the dash. I did price adding a aftermarker cd player, tuner, and all the parts peices, and labor required to keep the warranty and make sure all the chimes and alarms and such work, and for a $200 jvc stero is was something along the lines of $500. I really do not want to do anything invasive to it yet, but i absolutly hate having anything on the dash.

Overall---- I adore my aveo. I would recommend it to anyone. The most difficult thing i've noticed so far is actually trying to explain what the car is without seeing it... best i can come up with is 'kinda like a ford focus hatchback, kinda like a tiny tiny tiny mini van, or a squished up toyota matrix. I plan to keep mine for at least the next 4 years and possible longer than than depending on how she treats me. :)
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Yes, the Aveo does have a European background being that it was designed in Italy, and there are several cars in Europe that have the Aveo look.

There were a couple owners that purchased arm rests a few months back. I believe there are some website links somewhere on this forum. You could try a search engine and you should find several Aveo accessories.

Mileage should improve with miles driven. I have heard of as much as 41 on the highway for some drivers.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Your mileage probably will not change much unless you change your driving habits.

The trips you are taking are hard on any car, 7.5 miles on way, 9 miles one way (though not as hard as if it was constant stop and go and hard acceleration). Until the car reaches operating temperature, guage in the middle, the engine controls are not in closed loop operation which is where it gets the best fuel economy. In open loop operation most cars only get 60-70% of the ideal fuel economy ratings.

I would suggest you follow the severe duty maintenance schedule in the owners manual if you want the car to last with the fewest problems due to your driving habits.
    As it typically takes 4 miles of highway driving to reach full operating temperature, your car is never really getting much past the warm up period. This is very hard on both the oil, engine, and exhaust system. The condensation does not have time to burn off in the oil in the crankcase or out the exhaust pipe.
  • bastidbastid Member Posts: 9
    I just read your messageof March 12 2006 at Emunds, and since you have explained everything in details about the Aveo LT 2006 you purchased , and since I intend to buy one just like yours, I would like to know, if possible, how much did you pay for it. This message I am sending, is almost a month after you placed yours. Anything negative about the car, so far?. I am in NJ. USA
    Thanks,your help would be appreciated. :confuse:
  • toomuchrocktoomuchrock Member Posts: 19
    only negative thing is still the poor gas mileage... and of course the nitpicky things i mentioned earlier.

i believe mine was something like 15900, but i didn't negotiate on price and im pretty sure i overpayed. But considering i got every option available, sunroof, premium sound, everything.... i still dont think its an unfair price for the car.
    i'll have to check my paperwork though cause i could be off. I did get the 3.9% interest rate and my payments are about $250 a month for 5 years. I put down $2000.
  • peddiss96peddiss96 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

This is my first post to this forum, but I've been following your discussions lately and wanted to give my first impressions of my new 06 Aveo.

I've had it about a week, just broke the 500 mile mark. I wanted a black, manual, svm. I was only able to find one so I didn't haggle on the price. 9800 plus 1500 for dealer installed ar conditioning. Zero for 72 months financing put my payments at 160. I can deal with that for a brand new car.

Pros:
    The ride is very good for a small car.
    The hatch is surprisingly roomy.
    My fuel economy averaged 31 mpg for my first tank.
    Clutch is easy to modulate.
    Seating position is very high, making it very easy to get in and out.
    Love how the rear seats fold up to the front.

Cons:
    Gas cap on the wrong side (but probably correct for right hand drive versions sold elsewhere in the world).
    Driver's seat uncomfortable. I feel like I'm sliding off the front.
    Not much power.
    Audio system is terrible.
    Pop out cup holder is worthless. The passenger's side is too small, and my shin rests right against the left side, it will not last long.
    Needs a taller 5th gear. Engine really revs at 70 mph.

Overall I am very impressed with this car. I was extremely close to getting a Honda Fit, but I have not been able to find a black sport version with a manual transmission. I realized that after financing a fit for 60 months, I would have paid about 18000 for it, that's with approximate interest paid. That is significantly more than I will pay out for the Aveo, almost double. I had to ask myself, is the Fit really twice as good as the Aveo? No, it's not.

The Aveo is a great car, and so far I have recommended it. Time will tell how it holds up.
  • agrzeskowiakagrzeskowiak Member Posts: 15
    Bought my KEY LIME GREEN Aveo last August right off the lot. Loved the color, thats what made up my mind. IT's an automatic 4dr hatchback with AC. Hubby tinted the windows, :shades: and installed cruise control!!!!! I really love the look now. Paid 13,268.00 tax title and license. With no trade in. Salesman was a doll and still is when I stop in. Parts people not so good. This car has the black strips on the rear doors by windows which started to pucker back in May of this year, I went to dealership was told they are under warranty and they would be ordered. Well it's August and I finally get to have them put them on tomorrow. Although the body guy that has to do it has no idea how long it will take.

Also curious if anyone else notices at low speeds a vibration in the front end? Clock loses time also for no reason what so ever will bring that up tomorrow when I bring the car in. I am sure they will love me. :P
  • monzaveomonzaveo Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, great to find this forum!

I just picked up an icelandic blue hatchback svm.

45 miles on it when I bought it.

got a fair deal for my situation.

My payment is high, but It hasnt tarnished how much I like ,my little car.

No major issues to speak of...its been plug and play since day one.

The fit / finnish and performance of this little guy is far and beyond the new cavalier I bought in 1997.

Some minor things....

one thing I'm wondering if anyone else hears this

In the morning, just after startup while idling in the driveway.....something from the rear of the car knocks lightly and intermittently.
    Not a major sound, just something I notice and cant think of what the source could be.

It goes away after a minute or two.

So far I havent worried about it.

Thats being nitpicky I really love my little car.

I agrea with the above mentioned pro's and con's..

As for the seat, try the adjustment wheel on the lower right side of the seatbottom.

I agree the stock stereo, is lacking treble.

great bass, but the highs are missing.

I got a great solution the the AM/FM blues, for 40 bucks:

get an fm transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter (walmart stereo section-30bucks)
    get a 256k usb memory stick 10 bucks at office max,
    and drag all the mp3s you can onto it from your pc and plug it into the transmitter....!

Not the greatest sound, but better than nothing.

my gas mileage has been 30 mpg combined,
    or roughly 312 per tankfull.

I just passed the first 1,000 mi. today

What RPM does everybody shift there aveo at?

My car pulls up healthily to 4k rpm, so I usually push the clutch in there.

Sometimes I let the car cruise along at low rpm's....(love how the thing will pull, even from down low)
    @2k
    if traffic is slow.

I agree on the overdrive being a bit steep.
    maybe 3k is the engines most efficient cruise rpm??
  • flaaveoflaaveo Member Posts: 161
    Wow you got a loaded one! Damn! Just thought I'd let you know IF you want am arm rest..and i miss having one as well...EBay has them for sale from 2 different sellers. They just slip into place..no screws or anything. And I assume they are cheaper than from the dealer. They are like $80 and $99. So far I have resisted..just dont have the free cash right now. but gee..you have all the toys! Play with them!!!! And I hate the lack of Sirius as well. I have my Sirius portable plugged in and all the antenna wires all over the inside of the car. Looks like a spider web! I have to buy a Sirius radio to replace the factory radio.
  • vincent_viivincent_vii Member Posts: 9
    I picked up my Medium Gray '06 LS hatch almost one month ago. I didn't negotiate on the price (I had no downpayment) and paid a little over $17k with an extended warrenty. More importantly I am paying only $250 a month for 6 years with 0% interest. Chevy was running a special deal at the time of my purchase. My wife and I hadn't planned on purchasing a new car as we had purchased a new car last year in September. But our other, older car finally gave out on us. I'm glad I'm in an '06 model. The interior and suspension are upgraded and the car seems a little more upscale than the years before.

I live in Austin, TX and the tiny engine doesn't seem to be too much of a problem in the hills. I just make sure I'm in the right lane when climbing. The car has more than enough torque off the line to keep you from getting run over by overzelous SUV drivers at traffic lights. The car really shines in city traffic. It's skinny enough to fit through tight spaces and the height gives you a good view of everything going on around you. The steering is responsive with good feedback and feels like something you'd expect in a Nissan, not a Daewoo. My only concern is the suspension which deals with small bumps and hops well enough but crashes hard when you get into some rough pavement. The shocks and bushings feel like they will need replacement sooner than normal. :( At first I thought the brakes were wimpy but after the initial break-in they stop very well with good pedal feel. This is one of the few "budget" cars that has really good brake pedal feedback.

My wife convinced me to step up to an automatic model when we purchased the car. Once you get used to the electronic throttle (new for the '06), it's not a problem to ask the car to drop gears when you need. At first I was afriad to use the "hold" button, which forces the car into 3rd gear, but now I don't know how I would live without it. It allows me to keep the car from overreving when I hit a really nasty hill. I've already put over 3k miles on the car and gas mileage is pretty good. I'm averaging 35 mpg with a combination of city and highway driving.

The interior, as I stated above, is very nice. The '06 models are nearing Mazda and Nissan quality. Everything closes firm and the seats are firm but comfortable. I suffer from back problems due to a recent fall but I have no problems with 3 hour + drives in this car. The hatch has lots of space once the seats are folded down. Though the trunk is a little on the small side when they are up, it's more than enough to bring home a full shopping list of groceries. Seating space in the back seats is decent even when the front seats are pushed all the way back, as long as they aren't reclined too much. The LS models come equpied with a CD/MP3 player and a decent sound system that leaves me with no desire to upgrade. The steering wheel is the perfect size and allows for 9 and 3 hand positioning for good car control. The car does lack a center console/center arm rest but I honestly don't notice. I usually drive with both hands on the steering wheel (as you should). There is only one real cup holder that is located behind the hand brake. A popout cut holder rack is located below the climate controls. It's pretty flimsy and gets in the way of the gear shift but it's more than enough for a cup of hot coffee or a can of Red Bull. Everything is bathed in a light black with a Suzuki Areo inspired dash board. I happen to like the dash on the Areo so this is a good thing.

The car's exterior looks sharp. It has a european flair that many people seem to appreciate once they get past the fact that it's an Aveo. I have removed the front "bowtie" and chrome piece on the grill. What's left is a black mesche grill that really compliments the front of the car. The back of the car (hatch) matches with the lines and contours of the front. I've noticed a strange trend of recent cars with drastically different fronts and rears. It's as if two different cars were stuck together (look at the Nissan Versa and just about everything in Pontiac's lineup). Thankfully the Aveo doesn't suffer from this. The alloy rims are a conservative but unboring 5 spoke design that's a throw back to the late '90s cars. The LS models come equiped with a spoiler that's tasteful and functional. I've test driven with and without and the spoiler on the Aveo seems to keep it from "hunting" in the wind. There is one glaring fault with the exterior and that is that the metal is very thin. It's to be expected in a budget sub-compact but you have to rethink your parking habits. A light tap from another car's door or even a small object falling from a tree will leave you with a permenent, unsightly dent.

I'm very happy with the car so far. Overall, the car is a good value and GM seems to be improving the Aveo slightly as the years go by. It looks good (especially with that Chevy grill removed) and is peppy enough to keep you alive in traffic. The gas mileage seems to very between owners but in my case it's pretty good. The interior will keep you happy on long drives or short commutes. The size will make you grin when you have to parallel park. Aftermarket support is almost non-existant but KYB promises struts and shocks sometime this year and there are already a few quality spring sets avalible. Here's to hoping it ages well while I pay it off. Cheers.
  • heyphillipheyphillip Member Posts: 13
    I have not seen any post on this car in the winter wether. i am thinking of getting an 07 which willbe redesigned. hows driving this car on slick ice and snow?
    since i have never had the lovely experience of driving in snow or ice. I dont know. But it is a light weight front wheel drive car. So...it will behave like that. It doesnt have traction control or all those expensive drivetrain extras. I would assume being a light car with front wheel drive.As long as you dont drive crazy,you would be as safe as in any other small front wheel drive car in snow. All cars have to be a lot more careful in snow and ice. No matter how much of a 'high tech' drivetrain they have. Ice will make a 4 wheel drive,traction control,anti skid loaded car, slide all over,or get stuck in snow,sooner or later,it just has to be deeper! Right :confuse:
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    this is coming from a friend of mine, that still lives in Quebec, Canada (where they MAKE the snow ;) ) she has an aveo 06 sedan and she said it does just fine in the snow, no problem whatsoever, but she also add that she is using good new winter tires, not 4 seasons ones.
  • rhonda10rhonda10 Member Posts: 21
    As someone who did extensive research, comparing, and test driving of similar small vehicles [Honda Fit, Toyota Matrix/Yaris, Scion XA], I am writing in hopes that yet another positive review of the Aveo LT Hatchback will encourage those blinded by the fantastic marketing ploys of Honda, Nissan and Toyota to look elsewhere. Prior to the recent purchase of my 2006 Aveo, I owned a 2004 Subaru Outback that was plagued with an unidentifiable noise that could not be fixed and/or diagnosed. Although I attempted to go the Lemon route, I ultimately decided that it was not worth the effort beings I work with attorneys and understand how long litigation can play out. In any event, I am not one bit sorry that the Subaru is now a distant memory. My Aveo came fully loaded just as the writer above and for the price the Honda Fit and Scion XA just did not compare. Although the Fit was adorable, it did not offer a sunroof or floor mats [shame on Honda] and when you couple that with the mark-up that the dealers are charging in So.Cal., it just was not worth it. Then you have the Scion, which just looked cheap all the way around [shame on Toyota]. The only thing both could boast was a bit better gas mileage. Oh and don't get me wrong I have owned in the past Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Nissan, Volkswagen and Chevy. On my first tank in the Aveo we calculated 25 mph city driving, which makes me jump for joy beings my 4 cylinder/5 speed Subaru only got 19 mph city -- what a joke. With gas prices going up, up and up, I think it only makes sense to go small no matter what car manufacturer you chose. Anyway, without going on and on I just want to say kuddos to Chevrolet for making a product that did not insult those who could not afford more, as well as those who just wanted more for less. I am a 40 something woman who knows and appreciates quality and felt that overall for the price the Aveo was surely the better buy. Remember all manufacturers are capable of making a lemon or two so do not be fooled by those individuals who have had bad experiences with a certain brand of vehicle -- every manufacturer is capable of producing a lemon or two. :)
    congrats on your purchase!

I am also comparing, doing extensive research and test driving cars in the same segment.

if you dont mind, i'd like to ask, how was the yaris compare the aveo?

do you find you have enough room in the aveo?

I drove a 2006 LS auto tranny, a little while back and i was impressed! very comfortable and QUIET!

I have to confess, I am looking at the Suzuki products too mainly because of the 7 yrs/100.000 warranty and the free tires and batteries.
    Thank you.

I actually went to a Toyota dealership and looked at the only Yaris hatchback that I could find. Although I loved the concept and design, unfortunately my needs were 4 doors as opposed to 2, as well as rear seats that would fold completely flat. I show dogs and need to have a flat solid surface for dog crates. Had the Yaris offered those two features, I would have probably bought one.

Prior to purchasing my Aveo I actually did two different test drives to ensure that: (1) it had enough get up and go on the freeway; (2) strong air conditioning; (3) comfort; (4) and last but not least enough room with the rear sets folded to hold all my dog stuff. Overall, I was very impressed with the design and huge amount of room for cargo. Go to a dealership and have them fold the seats up for you and you will be amazed. Someone submitted a picture on this site of a mountain bike in the back of an Aveo.

I also was considering the Suzuki Aero, but unfortunately could not find one at any of the dealerships to look at, which were also far and few in between. I forgot to mention in my earlier writing that my husband owned a Suzuki Samuri early in our marriage and although the little car had no guts, it was absolutely the best with regards to maintenance and reliability. My sister also owned the same car, which she loved until it was totalled by an ambulance hitting her -- go figure.

With regards to warranty, although it is nice that a manufacturer offers such a long one, remember that you can always purchase separately an extended one from the dealership. Although the Chevy dealership offered me one initially to 75,000 at a cost of $800.00, they could not beat my credit union whose warranty is to a 100,000 for $600.00. Because I currently have and had used the one from my credit union on our Silverado truck, I did hesitate to purchase another.

The bottom line is to go with the car that fits your needs and taste. For me that was the Aveo. Good luck!!!!!! :):)
    thank you for your reply!

I have to admit, the yaris looks really cute! but like you, i'd prefer 4 doors, i also have 2 dogs, (big Labs-95 lbs--not sure they will fit in an aveo... :P )
    i already drove one, and i really liked it. I also like the fact taht the seats flip flop, giving more room and a flat floor.
    the aveo, IMO, offers a lot for the price and gets excellent gas mileage (important for me)and i love the color choice too!! ;)

i did not think about the extended warranty...will look into it when purchase time comes, see if it is worth it.

I am in the same situation for the suzuki dealers, in fact most dealerships are at least 50+ miles away...except the Chevy ones, I have 3 to choose from in a 25 miles radius.
    i live in a VERY rural area and having a dealership within a short drive is sure a plus.

I also check with my insurance company and the lowest cost was the Yaris at 54$/mth and the suzuki Reno was the most expensive one at 76$/mth...the aveo was 63$/mth.

when i started shopping for a car a few months ago, the pontiac vibe was my 1st choice but i wanted to see othere cars because the vibe was a little bit too expensive so entered the aveo!! even after comparing the scions, the yaris, the rio5 and the reno, i keep going back the aveo.
    I will take a look at the new suzuki sx4 and see from there.
    I also looked at the Pontiac Vibe, but I could not put my finger on what I did not like about it. My other dislike was Pontiac's 3 year/36,000 warranty on the drivetrain -- that just amazes me in this day and age. Almost all manufacturers are giving 5 year/50,000 or 60,000 warranties if not more.

If you are in a rural area, I would suggest that you purchase from a dealership close by. I live in a semi-rural city that not only has a Chevy dealer, but has BMW, Mazda, Subaru, Honda, Infiniti, Nissan, Ford, Mitsubishi, and a CarMax. In So.Cal. there are car dealerships everywhere. The odd thing is that Suzuki is not one of them. In case of breakdown it is so much more convenient to have a dealer close by.

You are in the same position that I was in that no matter what you looked at you kept coming back to the Aveo. What colors was your dealership offering. Mine is a color called Maui Blue that was not offered on the Chevy website. The color actually turned out to be pretty nice and looks good on the car. I also loved the yellow. Actually, all of the colors that they offer for the Aveo were nice. I also appreciate that the paint on the car seems to be of good quality like our truck. I have read complaints from people that who the Honda Fit about paint peeling off of the bumper. That did not sit well with me.

Let me know what you decide.
    i agree with you, chevy did a very good job with the color choice, they are all pretty nice.
    the aveo comes in 11 colors and that is the best choice in the category! :)
    that is something that bothers me with the scion...no colors really does it for me, same with the yaris and versa.
    I am really tempted with the spicy orange and the icelandic blue is nice too, not a gray or a blue but like in between. there is not really any color that would keep me from getting one but the yellow would be my least favorite... :surprise:
    already had a yellow geo metro convertible in the past... ;)
    someone in town(ok " the village"...LOL) owns the sporty red,( a deep darker shade of red) and it looks NICE! gives the aveo some kind of a classy feel to it.

we also own a chevy truck, an "ol chevy s-10( i think it is a 1990) with over 225.000 miles on it and it works perfectly! ok, it doesn't go very fast but it has been a very reliable truck.
    I love the darker red color. The problem in my area was that the only colors that the dealers seemed to have with the sunroof was the Maui Blue and Yellow. My husband did not like the yellow at all and you know the funny thing is that I am starting to see more and more yellow cars this year. Prior to seeing the Aveo in yellow I thought it was a hideous color. Kinda funny how your opinions change.

Wow, that is a great mileage testiment on the Chevy s-10. That was what my dad owned and had it not been for it being totalled in a freak accident, I bet my dad would still be driving it. My parents now have a Malibu, which has also been a great car.

Whatever color you decide to go with will be fine. Be sure and write back once you get your car. :)
    you can bet I will post when I buy!!

i am getting really impatient!
    I have to wait to buy until I get my american SSN ( and a job!! LOL). I am a french canadian, married to an american and going through all the paperwork now so I gotta wait... : but I should be driving a new car around xmas!!
  • whew63whew63 Member Posts: 19
    My husband and I were looking for a third run-a-round car. One we can bring our dog in and I can commute back and forth to work in-checked out a lot of smaller cars. We were definitely looking for something great on gas. This car fit the bill. 4 doors, great heat and a/c, 34 MPG, with a great price to go along wth it! Actually just got rid of a Honda CR-V and the ride and noise level in this car and that are the same. Great product for the money. We look forward to taking care of it and keeping it for a long while. Will definitely consider snow tires for the snow (if we ever get any this year in NJ!).
    Good Luck to all of your new owners as well!
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Makes perfect sense as a third car.

Here's a review that talks about buying "half the car you can afford" instead of going crazy:

http://info.detnews.com/autosconsumer/autoreviews/index.cfm?id=24619

Please note that the reviewer is wrong about the Aveo not providing head protecting side airbags. The airbags in the Aveo's seat are, in fact, the type that provide head as well as torso protection - but only for the front seat occupants. You can confirm this for yourself at the NHTSA website at www.safercar.org if you look up the test results for the Aveo. (Most curtain style head-only protecting airbags protect both rows of occupants these days.)
  • pbolpbol Member Posts: 15
    hi I have a 2006 hatch,I also notice a vibration in the brakes on the left side,Also the steering seems to be out,The steering wheel seems to be leaning to the left,Also when braking the car seems to pull to the left,let me know what you find out.
  • kritta16kritta16 Member Posts: 20
    hi. i test drove both the yaris hatch and the aveo. i found the aveo more fun to drive (zippy!) but i liked the overall design of the yaris better. i just purchased the aveo 2 days ago. being as i had family help with financing, i was rather at the mercy of those w/ the money, but i have to say i was SO against this car from the get go--and then i test drove it... loved it....bought it. i am now owner of a "cherry red" hatchback (no frills, just a/c and cd player).

i truly believed and thought i'd hate this car when i was basically told i was going to have one (i got very depressed about it, i admit it), but now i can't help but adore it. believe me, i have tried to dislike it, but i can't. it's difficult coming from a larger vehicle to this one, but it's so much fun to drive!

my only advice would be if someone reading this were to strongly consider purchasing one, is: GET ALL THE OPTIONS because there are not many and also, the no-electric locks on the doors are already a pain to maneuver (i guess i've been spoiled by past vehicles where i've had them.)

NOW, let me also say, as i said earlier, i am coming down from a pontiac SUV to this little aveo. i am a musician - i have not alot, but a decent amount of stuff to haul with me when i play (an amp, mic stand, suitcase of equipment and guitar). i've not had a problem thus far w/ this - my stuff fits in this car, no problem. HOWEVER, i also must reiterate, it's only ME and i'm not hauling people in addition to my stuff.

having said this, allow me to paint a picture while pointing out a difficulty w/ the aveo (and this might be with many subcompacts - i do not know if it is model specific to the aveo). i signed papers on this little car in the midst of a blizzard. (you may laugh now lol) the only problem i foresee for me is the fact the defrost system only defrosts up to mid way from the vents, up to the top of the windshield. once it hits 1/2 way, forget about it! now, if you're nostalgic, you might be right at home with the whole "peering through a hole in the ice" thing, but i don't care much for it. ;)

also, i am having issues w/ no defog/defrost making it to the passenger windows, which makes it really bad because you can't stop and roll them down and up by hand when you're in the midst of driving (without pulling over to do it). even with the blower on "5" (high) it is not doing the trick. that's really the only problem i have had thus far.

i wish chevy would have made the aveo a little sportier to compete w/ the yaris.

all in all, i'd give it a 7.85 on a scale of 1 to 10, counting it off for "no apparent style" (exterior) and the defrost thing. i also do not get the cheapo cup holders either...but then realize you're getting a budget car, so go fig.

i'd recommend one of these to anyone who lives somewhere where it's 35 degrees and up. lol
  • kritta16kritta16 Member Posts: 20
    please see previous message -
    2007 red hatch
    a/c
    cd/mp3/aux jack

:)
  • paco3paco3 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new '07 Aveo back in January. I've never owned a car this small and I absolutely love this car :) This car is a big step down for me. I also have a Ford F250 and commuting in that truck just didn't cut it for me. I'm getting about 31mpg in the Aveo as opposed to 11mpg in my F250. I live in Northern Michigan and the car handled the harsh winter here with no problems, snow and all. Ofcourse it is parked in a heated garage, but handling in snow and ice was impressive. It is a base model with no frills. Not even a cd player! My only gripe is the rear wiper. It sucks when you have to use it to wash the rear window.
  • paco3paco3 Member Posts: 4
    How do I start a new topic? I wanted my previous message as a new topic, but ended up in 'new owner reports'. Thanx.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I moved your post to the current topic for Aveo modifications.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef850e4/152
  • veloraidveloraid Member Posts: 5
    I've been following the forum for the past few months and finally took the plunge and bought a 2006 Suzuki Swift + demo, 5 speed (exactly the same as the Aveo 5; I'm writing from Canada, not sure if the Swift is available in the U.S. yet). I've liked the styling since it came out. I have a 91 Honda Civic hatch which is still in great shape and goes like hell but is getting harder and harder to get in and out of due to the fact that it's so low. so I treated myself to the swift for my 50th birthday. Everything's great except the gas mileage. I wasn't expecting mileage like the Yaris and yes, I do almost exclusively city driving but Christ, the mileage is absolutely in the toilet, so much so that I'll probably be forced to sell it. Good thing I kept my Honda. I'm using 13 litres per 100 km which if I've done my calculations properly is only about 18-20 mpg. The dealer tells me nobody else complains and there's nothing wrong with my car. Anybody else seeing these kinds of numbers? :(
    My 06 aveo gets exaclty 27 miles per gallon city,hi way i get about 30
  • randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I am in Dallas Texas....by the way I am getting about 27-30 around town now and 35-37 on the highway my mileage dropped and I put some RXP gas additive in the take and ran it all out and then filled up a new take and my mileage has gone back up......it is that darn gas-ahol or what ever they call it this time around it doesnt burn like gas and you get 10-30% lower mileage on it and it causes carbon deposits on the fuel injectors which makes things worse......try the rxp though it helped me.......
  • new2007aveonew2007aveo Member Posts: 3
    Hi, just bought a new Aveo 2007, any vibration problems to report? So far I have a strong vibration on the head rest when the car is idling (stopped at a traffic light for ex.) when I have the AC on, when I turn it off it's virtually gone, but there is still a very slight vibration. Also the AC motor seems to be pretty noisy. Also, when I'm driving over 60 mph I feel a slight vibration on the accelerator pedal, and the car generally doesn't feel smooth on the road. Didn't bring it in yet, I wanted to get educated on this a bit before going and getting the run-around. Have the issues about vibrations from the previous model been resolved? Does anyone else have a similar situation with their 2007 Aveo? Thanks,
    Joe
    I had a vibration on my 2006 while driving but not what you are having,Around 50 to 80 km i felt a vibration driving in the front,I changed my tires to a performnace tire and she drives smooth now,So far i found that pavement has issues with the car,It will pickup more bumps than a normal car will,Feels like a go cart when i drive the car,Quick accurate steering and that is what i like.
  • new2007aveonew2007aveo Member Posts: 3
    hi, you feel the vibration on the steering wheel and gas pedal right? I commute an hour one way to work and I noticed that too though not as pronounced as the AC motor thing. First day I drove it I was really impressed.
  • akveevoakveevo Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2006 Aveo that I recently bought as a left-over with 43 miles here in Orlando. I've been keeping tabs on the forums due to the 'vibration' in 5th gear. So everyone thinks it's the tires? All people are doing is changing the tires? No new rims? Upgrades? I really like this car except for the vibrations. :)
    I was reading on Cars.com that the Aveo weighs more than the average car in it's class. This may be a plus. I always stuck 20lb bags of kitty litter in my trunk of my GEO Metro when I used to live in Pennsylvania during the winter months. It did help a lot! :shades:
    I agree with the "Remember all manufacturers are capable of making a lemon or two so do not be fooled by those individuals who have had bad experiences with a certain brand of vehicle -- every manufacturer is capable of producing a lemon or two" as you said. People are passing up a great little car!

As of today, Chevy has sold more than 20,000 AVEO's since it's release. Most owners on here post the 2004 / 2005 are the ones that are having issues. There is nothing posted for the 2005 / 2006 AVEO on the HNTSA website (national recall data base). And the 2004 has one minor recall for that particular year :D .

Go to www.NHTSA.gov to see a list of recalls for car makers. Just an FYI.....if you are cocerned about recalls, take a look at the Ford Focus since it's release. There have been NUMEROUS reports about this car. My significant other has one and we've been having issues since the car was purchased. On a more positive note.....WE MAY BE the only ones having issues with this car. :)
  • 7e5f6e7e5f6e Member Posts: 2
    A 2004 and 2007, both sedans. The 04 has 63K, no problems except for the new bushings - dealer covered it. The 07 has 6K - no probs at all. Both cars average 28 - 33 MPG in the city, well into the 30's (best is 38 MPG) on the highway. I drive the cars as they were meant to be driven, NOT like a sports car. Use the cruise if you have it, keep the oil and filters changed. Common sense stuff. It's not a Mustang and therefore can't be driven like one. I'd recommend an Aveo to anyone. They are neat, reliable, and inexpensive to own. BTW, turned down a Nissan Versa - the 2007 Aveo was cheaper to own in the long run as far as maintenance etc.
    ((Exactly )) how 7e5f6e mentioned .Drive like a normal car and you wont have problems,Want to go fast,Take corners like your on a race track?,Buy a mustang/mits eclipse/vette or a soltice.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Just passing through. Don't understand this post. Why would weight in the back help with a fwd?
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    I just purchased a 2007 Chevrolet GMDAT Aveo LT on May 01 of this year, with the Limited Edition RS package added to it.

It's a misty blue sedan with 5 speed transmission, ABS. The RS package adds ipod nano, 6 speaker premium stereo with steering wheel stereo controls, rear spoiler. Price paid was $17860 CDN with freight and PDI added, taxes additional. The price includes a rebate of $980 for the sunroof.

Do they sell the RS package in the United States?

So far I have almost 4,000km on the car and nothing has gone wrong. I simply love the car. Sure it could use more power on the freeway (sometimes I need to gear down into forth to get going on hills), but the car is very solid and quiet on the freeway, even during high speeds of 150km/hr.

Very very happy so far with the car. I love the newly designed exterior, especially the aggressive front end. The interior looks fantastic - puts the Yaris to shame.

Austin in Vancouver BC Canada.
  • poquettepoquette Member Posts: 4
    I recently took my car to shop just bought it in June w/ only 300 miles on it well it Sept. and I have only 2400
    miles. As many have said when stop they have vibration. I also am having the problem as well. when I took it in last week its the lower control arms need to be replaced and now I am having engine problems as well doesn't sound right.Car will go back to the shop Monday. 1st week I had it had a leaky vale steam which they fixed with no problem. The lower control arms (front will be done on Monday as well) any body else having same problem? thanks Debra Poquette Lakeland Fl.
    I am VERY intrigued by this. That price is really high,unless the Canadian dollar is VERY strong against the US dollar? I don't know. You paid nearly $18K for a 'LT' version of the Aveo. Did you get a hatchback or the sedan? For all that extra money. Did you get any engine upgrades? Bigger wheels/tires? A sunroof?
    Leather seats? How many extra HP does your engine get? We in the US obviously dont have an 'RS' version..but for a spoiler, premium stereo, and remote steering wheel controls, THAT is an RS? That is basically an LT model here, and the doesn't even include any alloy wheels, power windows/locks/theft system/ Is it an 08 or an 07? And is it the hatchback or the sedan? I am VERY curious. Any picture of it?
  • richard1hainesrichard1haines Member Posts: 41
    Pricing is all in Canadian dollars for a fully loaded LT-RS Sedan 2007 or 08 model. You can find out more at www.gm.ca and simply select the Aveo. The price isn't expensive at all considering that I priced out a similarly equipped Toyota Yaris Sedan and it was just under CDN$24,000. The pricing includes the RS package which adds upgraded 15" Hankook tires, 15" alloy wheels, upgraded 6 speaker premium sound system with sound system controls on steering wheel, rear spoiler, sunroof, chrome door handles, ipod nano, and RS badges.

Photos of my car are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smurfyboy/sets/72157600156282274/
This discussion has been closed.