Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 2006

Comments

• bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    Ray,
    Beautiful green country side, nice GXP, so where is that nice and green....North Texas is a little brown right now.

Cheers,
    Gary
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The best way to post your photos is to upload them to your CarSpace page and then post a link to it in the discussion.

Here's my page! :blush:

imageimageDrive on over and see me!
  • dblducedblduce Member Posts: 58
    So where are the pics of your GXP??? If you are going to advertise your carspace link on a Pontiac GXP forum, the least you could do is provide pics of your GXP! LOL>
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Celebrating one year anniversary with my 2005 GXP – Love this Car! Must admit it is my weekender and it only has about 4000 miles on it.
    Few gripes – a couple of buzzy trim pieces and entry/exit for me (head room).
    Best mileage/tank = 26.8mpg; Worst Mileage = 15.3mpg
    But I love:
    - the power & handling and ride is excellent for the suspension
    - Steering calibration
    - Super brakes
    - lack of torque steer, its no worse than my GTP w/ETC and better than my GP GT w/Std TC.
    - Color (dark Cherry)
    - Ultra suede seats (not quite as comfortable as my 96 Bonne – but quite good)
    - DIC
    - Heads Up display (can’t understand why it’s not on more vehicles!)
    - OnStar hands free

A few things I’d like Improved/Options:
    - Road Noise
    - entry/exit (a memory seat that slides all the way back as an option?)
    - incorporate more of the DIC features into the HUD
    - Manumatic style shifter instead of the Tap Shift
    - Interior trim
    - A medium gray interior color

Overall for the $25600 ($33395 MSRP) I paid, I can’t stop grinning from ear to ear. :)

http://www.carspace.com/ocmike3/?50@@.59a5fa9d!photoLoc=.59a5fa9e&skipNext=0&sub- mitNext=1&noThumbs=1#pic
  • rmozolrmozol Member Posts: 124
    Did we lose pictures of that GXP? My messages go from 1131 to 1140! :(
  • gxp4megxp4me Member Posts: 7
    Okay, I am sorry to keep bugging people about this but it really bugs me ... I have a Black GXP and I really REALLY think that those deep yellow DRL/Turn signals in the front are ugly ... they mess up the whole look. :sick:

Since nobody can find a way to switch them off permanently I wanted to see if I could replace them with like a blue or clear bulb ... BUT! :confuse: But, how do you even get to those bulbs ... the underside is covered with plating and above there seems to be more shielding ... not unless you have to take out the headlamps to get down there. :confuse:

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas??? THANX EVERYONE!!! I appreciate everyones input!!! ;) :shades:

Frank
    GXP4ME
    ...just to let you know there have been a couple new additions to the Grand Prix group.

Pontiac Grand Prix: Accessories & Mods
    Pontiac Grand Prix: Real World MPG

There were some posts moved from here to these new topics. If you are tracking the Grand Prix group, these new discussions will automatically appear in your tracked items.

Let me know if you have any questions! :)
    I've been noticing a strange occurrence lately in my 2006. When I put it in Park, sometimes the doors unlock, and sometimes they don't. I used to have it set for all the doors to unlock, then I went to doing just the driver's side. Anyone have any ideas why this might be occurring? I looked through the book, but couldn't find any reason for this.
  • mick1mick1 Member Posts: 84
    I called Oldsmobile 71/2 years ago about my 1999 Intrigue that AC defaults to ON. They said it's set up this way and most customers like it. I think it's to circulate the AC lube oil so the compressor lasts 1 day longer than the warranty.( I got lucky, my compressor just went lasting 71/2 years!)
  • sahoward1sahoward1 Member Posts: 19
    What do you think of the AC defaulting to "ON"? I think it's the most absurd thing I've ever seen in any car. If the AC defaulted to where the driver left it, everyone would be happy. I love my Grand Prix, but was totally aggravated by the AC always coming on. Right now it's AC season, so I'm chilling out about it. :shades:
  • daveradavera Member Posts: 13
    I agree with you on the A/C, mine comes on and blows cold air when I am trying to get warm. For instance last night outside temp was 52, control set to 72. Get in the car and the stupid thing starts blowing cold air. I just stopped to get a coke and got back in. I will never buy a car with auto climate again. I am always trying to get this thing right, constantly adjusting it. Never had to mess with a manual control near as much as this. If the a/c button would just remember it's last position it would solve most of the problem.
  • skinderdineskinderdine Member Posts: 4
    O.K. I know I'm new to this forum and a 1st time GP owner. I purchased a GXP about 4 weeks ago & absolutely love it. I bought a 2003 BMW 325i in 2003. & I must say the GXP drives, handles, & whatever better. The interior is beautiful and the instrument panel / controls are well placed. Head room needs to be adjusted higher, I'm 6-01 & 250 lbs. with broad shoulders and have plenty of room there. I bought it in Black (Should have bought the silver due to keeping it clean)paid $27,000 and change with GM discount. I would recommend a GXP to anyone who is in the market for a new car.
  • icantfly591icantfly591 Member Posts: 13
    Hey if you buy a new gand prix gxp, and you put 50hp's into, then will you need a new drivetrain or something? And also how much hp will a cold air intake give you two, the rearwheel?
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    There are a few folks running 75-100hp Wet Shot Nitrous kits on the GXP and they are holding up fine.

I know it was a typo, but nothing will put down more hp to the Rear Wheels of the GXP :P
    Hey do any of you think a mustang gt can beat a grand prix, gxp?
    Hey how much hp, do you think i could get to the rear wheel, if i supercharge a grand prix gxp?
    Newer Mustang GT's run high 13's when driven well in stick format. Autos are dogs and run low to mid 14's.

GXP's have typically run low 14's with many running high 13's. 13.6-13.8 is do-able in a GXP putting on pace with a stick Mustang, but the track and launch is key.

If you've not run your car at the track, do it. It's fun, safe and the place to race.

Never magazine number race.....lame.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    2022 X3 M40i
  • erichthecatterichthecatt Member Posts: 37
    My previous car was a 2000 sls. Very much the same as the gxp, with one exception of the headrest, and better mpg. Cant do anything about the mpg, but the headrest on the sls was adjustable forward. Does anyone know if this could be modified without tearing into the seat construction? The seat design, switches, seems identical. Taking bonnie on a cruise across death valley saturday! I'm curious to see what the temp on the engine runs at 125 degrees!
  • hduck1hduck1 Member Posts: 19
  • presrizdpresrizd Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any information on getting the PCM reprogrammed for the GXP. Are there other forums/sights that have info on the GXP and any performance enhancements??

thanks in advance
  • dembratsdembrats Member Posts: 8
    I'm over 26,000 miles now on my 2005 GXP, and still loving it. I've been impressed with the tire life. I never expected they'd last this long, but they've still got a decent amount of tread left even on the front. For survey purposes, I'm 32 living in Orlando. Here's what I've run into so far:

1. A/C compressor not starting when I remote start the car. (Fixed by the dealer on the third reprogram attempt.)

2. Clunking in the steering. (Service Bulletin - dealer fixed it quickly.)

3. Whining sound from the engine. I think it's power steering, but I haven't stood up there and listened yet. (Dealer says there's a bulletin, but his computer was down so he couldn't fix it.)

4. Occasional buzzing/etc from loose parts. Mine has come from three places. Trim around the sunroof, HUD on the dash, something above the visor under the ceiling fabric.

5. HISSING FROM THE SPEAKERS. Some days it doesn't bother me, some days I'm really sick of it.

Am I the only one that gets it all the time while I'm driving?
    I can easily hear it any time the music is turned off. I would be ecstatic if it would stop after 30 secs. If I'm the only one with the problem maybe I can convince the dealer to do something. Last time he had me sit in a 2006 and listen to it, but we never started the car to see if it stayed on.
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    You know whats really cool?

HUD, I don't know why its not part of the Ads for this Car, its such a cool feature that neither honda, or toyota have.

The rear reating sucks in this car, your head hitting the glass, for such a big (long) car, there should be more room. The GXP is awesome though, with the V8. That light that shows you the V4 mode should be in.

Thats my rant, thanks!
    I got to drive a new cadillac XLR convertible last night, and I must say that I love my 2005 GXP MORE than that car! For one, you cant beat a pontiac when it comes to torque. The caddy has a 4.6 L V8, and is rated at 320 HP. From a stand still, even when floored and the traction control turned off, it reminded me of a BUICK! Hardly any tire noise, other than a few chirps. When i do this in my GXP, I can smoke the tires for at least 10-20 feet, LOL.

The ride in the caddy was ok, a little better than my GXP. It felt a lot like riding in a Corvette because it was low to the ground. The caddy retails for around $82,000 though, so I would rather purchase 3 GXP's to one of those! :)
  • exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    the mission is different, its not about brute force, but refined power, and linear delivery. There should be no fuss, just pure acceleration and linear, excellent power delivery.

This is one of those things that used to be must more expensive to do before computers, when things like hydraulic valves and vacum pumps were needed. Now its mainly an engine composition and software issue, I suspect.

Either way, its a good thing you like your GXP. Kind of sucks that you don't have the 2006 interrior, I think it makes the car seem higher up on the fod chain, but thats just me. Also, I wonder if the 2005's had the black leather with white stiching combo. Thats just plain awesome!
    The power difference is simple; engine size! The bigger engine will always have more torque off the line.
    Secondly, anyone know where to get that Bug Blocker at a discount price mail order? E-Bay doesn't even have it yet.
    Its not always about torque though. My dad used to have a car rental business, so as a teenager and into my early 20's, i had the opportunity to drive many makes and models of cars, always comparing them to each other. One of the biggest differences I saw was with GM's 3.8 L engine. If you drove a normal Grand Prix GT with this engine, you could almost assuredly get the tires to squeal on take off. But, drive a Buick that has the same engine in it, and you could NEVER get the tires to do that!

I guess it also has a lot to do with the timing/tuning of the engine itself as well. Im sure that Cadillac didnt tune their engines like this because the class of people that buy them wouldnt be trying to spin the tires on takeoff, lol.
    Both were front wheel drivers? Go test drive an M45 with 340 HP and a Dodge Charger/Magnum with 340 HP; 4.6 vs. 5.9 liter. Different worlds, huh??????? Cadillac actually made these engines hotter than just a few years ago, The "hottest" in 2003 was 300 HP, with the same engine. Now, they added another 20, but still have the same small 4.6. Any ideas on cheaper Bug Blocker?
    No, actually the Cadillac was REAR wheel drive, which made me think they should have been able to apply more torque to the wheels.

Last year I took a 2004 Mustang GT for a drive. it was only a 4.6 L V8, and with the traction control turned off, i was able to get some good spin off of the tires from a dead stop.

Actually, i did test drive a Dodge Charger w/ the Hemi 5.9 L a few months ago, and i wasnt very impressed. Again, I tried stomping the gas pedal from a dead stop, and it took a few seconds to even get it up to speed, let alone get any sound from the tires.
  • gxpjoeypgxpjoeyp Member Posts: 38
    Yes I get the hissing too....I think we all do...

gxpjoeyp
    DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO PROGRAM THE REMOTE STARTER ON AN 06 GXP TO RUN LONGER? THE BOOK DOESNT SAY,BUT THE DEALER TOLD ME IT CAN BE DONE,CUZ FROM THE FACTORY IT WILL RUN 10 MINUTES THEN SHUTS OFF,WELL WISCONSIN WINTER IS COMING UP (BRRRRRRR...)AND I WANT IT TO RUN A LITTLE LONGER,AND WITH THIS HEAT WE HAD RECENTLY MAN I NEED IT TO RUN A LITTLE LONGER TOO. THANKS

GXPJOEYP :confuse:
  • bubbaman999bubbaman999 Member Posts: 54
    I dream of much cooler temperatures, won't happen till Oct-Nov in Texas.

Sorry no info on the starter

Gary
    I'm taking mine in next week to get the "No AC on remote" fixed. He said he'd never heard about it, so I might have to leave it a few days so they can call the tech line and have them lead them through any process. Is there anything I can tell them to save some time? Thanks.
  • 303hp303hp Member Posts: 3
    I think that most people should consider that they are slowly over heating there transmissions and are going to break down too soon due to heat. I think that car companies put the lightest parts in as possible just to get by.
    I think if want to keep your car passed the warrentie then put one of these trany coolers in your car.
    Take a look at this chart and see.

http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm
    The service life of petroleum ATF in a transmission operating at 195°F is approximately 100,000 miles. For every 20°F increase above 195°F, its service life is cut in half. Today's transmissions operate at about 235°F -- that's 40°F higher than 195°F. This means the service life of petroleum ATFs in today's engines is about 15,000 miles. And that's an unsettling (and potentially costly) situation for the owners of new aerodynamic vehicles.
  • hduck1hduck1 Member Posts: 19
    Whats the longest someoe has been driving their GXP? How many miles are on the car?
    I'd have to take what txchange.com says with a grain of salt. Afterall, they are a transmission shop and the specs they show for breakdown don't necessarily apply to all ATF's.

GM's new Dextron VI is pretty tough stuff and I have no doubt will hold up well in the GXP's.

Dexron VI specs call for a max visc of 6.4 cST at 100 C
    For comparison, the current Amsoil Universal synthetic ATF is formulated @ 7.5 Cst @ 100C

GM Dextron VI Info
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    Take these references with you or send them over to the Dealer service dept. before you go:
    TSB: Remote Start A/C won’t turn on
    p/n 12603159 CVN 0000993D

New Software to address A/C performance during remote start:
    Bulletin 05-01-39-005 OK93J7904
    Thanks for the info oc, but this won't work on my car. They didn't even have this one, so were glad to read it easily. This update is only for cars built before May of 2005 though. There IS no update for newer cars and they had no idea on what to do about it. I have a copy of the bulletin, and it does say that. Any idea what they do on newer cars? I guess that I'm just stuck for now until a newer update comes out. He said to wait and see it GM comes out with something.
    What happened to #1310 - #1315 again?
    well i had 1309 and all i said was stuff about the 07 sticker price, maybe the administrator didnt like that i put that on there so he erased it???? I dont know... :cry:
    Those were moved to Pontiac Grand Prix: Real World MPG. We are slowly breaking the discussions into more specific topics and those posts more about mpg than a generic subject. Sorry for the confusion!
    MY APOLOGIES KAREN I CALLED THE ADMINISTRATOR (HOST) A HE. THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION THOUGH...

GXPJOEYP. :blush:
    Today, I went out to drive my car a few miles. It started ok, but started lurching at each gear change. After a few miles, I realized what was happening. The converter clutch was locking up with each shift! It was like shifting a stick shift w/o the clutch. It would slam into gear and lug since the RPM's were so low. I know this because I would try and accellerate, but the RPM's would stay the same. I guess that I'll go back to Pontiac on Tuesday!
    WHAT YEAR AND HOW MANY MILES DO YOU HAVE??

GXPJOEYP
    I have the 2006 model, and just passed 3000 miles. I've only had it about 6 months now!
    I GOT AN 06 TOO WITH ABOUT 4600 MILES,AND NOW THAT YOU MENTION IT, IT SEEMS SOMETIMES MINE WILL KINDA DO A BOG WHEN I ACCELERATE FROM A STANDSTILL BUT ON AS IM TURNING A CORNER,I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT COULD BE FROM...
    It's easy to see too. Just watch the tach when you hit the gas, and if it moves up, it's ok. If it stays where it's at and doesn't rev, it's locked up then.
    Does anyone know if GM will offer the extended warranty on 2006, or even 2005 cars that they now have on the 2007?
    They checked it, and the trans did store two codes. It's working ok now, they cleared the codes, so they just said to keep an eye on it.