Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    If your spare is stock size, I've got place with mine with room to play, there is a bracket that pulls up the spare, make sure its centered right. If you have the hitch on, and you didn't lower your spare, maybe something is mis-aligned ? There is also a bracket/spacer that comes with the hitch, some needed it for the exhaust issue ( I didn't ) If you can't fab your own spacer, send me a line, and I'll send you mine.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I guess there is a big plus to having a rear mounted spare tire besides protecting it from trail rocks!

You could also relocate it to your roof.
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    I guess my next question is if you had a chance to buy again, what would you do differently or what would you stress on the most? You all are on top of it all and with the new Xterra's coming out I am also keeping that in the back of my mind because you all are talking about the stereo upgrade that is needed. But with the new one's a nice system is coming with it. So what would you do differently, or better if you had it all over to do again...Thanks and Semper Fi...A Marine at the American Embassy in Brazil.
  • shocker3shocker3 Member Posts: 17
    My fiance and I are looking to trade her car in on a 2001 Frontier, which would become mine and she gets the Xterra. I was just curious if anyone had any info to share on them. I drove one and it's just Like the X. So, I can only imagine it's a good truck. But any other helpful info would be appreciated.
    I believe silveglider has the 2, I drove the crew cab before and after getting my X..I liked it, except for the lack of room behind you and a slightly lighter rear, no difference. At times I miss having a pick-up, nothing beats not having a roof to limit cargo.
    As far as the 02 model, I'm waiting to "see it" to decide. I still like to rip my X apart and install my own stuff and little mods, the X seems to be coming a little more dressed in 02, so I would be less tempted to change things to the way I like it, therefore maybe get bored with it.
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    Xcanuk is correct, I also have an '01 Frontier Crew Cab. I got it to replace a Ford Ranger because well, it was a Ford. The four doors are great although it's a little tight in the back for an adult. Would be great for kids though. Came with a bed extender so you can carry longer stuff and the '02s will come with a long bed option, I believe. It handles basically just like the Xterra. I've got about 3,500 miles on it now and did have an ABS problem when the ABS light came on and stayed on. Dealer replaced main ABS controller and one wheel sensor under warranty. I have the 4WD SE with limited slip and it was great in snow with snow tires. It's now getting the same mileage as my X (in my case about 21 mpg), not surprising since it has the same engine. I would get either the CC or the X again, depending on my needs at the time.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    It is the same as the Xterra mechanically, but a bit smaller inside like everyone indicates.

My friend has one with the muscular front-end and the supercharger. He loves it. It is lighter than the X. Like most pickups, it is prone to read-end spin-outs, especially with the X-tra power. My friend also had a main ABS controller problem which was fixed in two days.

As for waiting for the '02, it may look better with a front-end change, but the engine is still the old 300ZX SOHC engine from the early 90's. The supercharger will require premium fuel. I wonder if they are changing the tires next year?

The radio seems to be fine, Marine. I actually like the radio controlls on the steering wheel (SE Model). You may want to upgrade the speakers as people are mentioning. If you want to replace the radio, you will lose the steering wheel controls and the wiring is a nightmare.

Won't your fellow Marines bust your chops for buying a Japanese vehicle? Well, consider the alternatives in American truck makers. You could always buy an Aztek or a continuously recalled Escape/Explorer/Expedition - LOL. Take a look on those boards. Makes my engine crack seem trivial. Actually, the Dodge looks great and is supposed to be a good truck.

Silverxglider, you are getting 21 MPG? How do you do it? Is there something special you did?
    1) everywhere she goes is downhill
    2) she got one of the rare proto-types that were not supposed to be sold, and is always followed by the CIA
    Just envious.. ;)
    As much as I try, the highest I got is 18.7 mpg, but have a hard time keeping it at 60, which seems to be the sweet spot for the X
  • xtirol9xtirol9 Member Posts: 27
    Perhaps a lower speed in driving is the factor?
    I wouldn't really get a Dodge. It too has been plagued with recalls. The truck? I don't know but still, maybe a Japanese pickup like the Tundra would be better?
  • krazkatkrazkat Member Posts: 2
    I'm seriously considering looking at a Xterra after spending the past week at Edmunds and reading review, comparisions between the many SUV in my price range. Especially after reading the many things plagueing the Explorer/Sport which I just test-drived the other day. The Xterra seems like a better vehicle for my money. Please those out there who have one, give me some feedback. Thanks. :)
    you have over 1000 posts of feedback here, plus older threads. If its a choice between Escape & X.. the X. What do you want to know?
    "...but the engine is still the old 300ZX SOHC engine from the early 90's."

The one that got 222HP normally aspirated? What is the HP rating on the SC model? I think the 300ZX got 300HP with turbo, but not sure.
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    I have the 2001 XE and yes, I get to about 300 when the light goes on so go a bit past that...avg about 55-65 on the hwy..live on Cape Cod so rarely do too much hwy..Guess I am lucky?

Annie
  • etings1etings1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I just received an Xterra invoice from a Nissan dealer and was wondering if anyone knew what a $400 charge listed as "MA" is for. Also, can someone point me to a site where I can see a "Grille/T-Lamp Guard"??? Thanks!
    Actually, no one should bust marine's chops for buying a "Japanese" vehicle because the X was designed in California and is built in Tennessee.

As far as gas mileage goes, yes, I've really been getting around 21 mpg since the first day. I swear on my mother's gray head. Actually, you'll all probably want to kill me now when I say that since swapping out my snow tires and going back to the BFG LTs this spring, I've been getting 22-23 mpg. And yes, I am compulsive so I always fill the tank exactly the same way and I keep meticulous records to several decimal places.

I have an XE 3-pack, 4WD 5 speed. I think the key tricks are that I rarely exceed 55-60mph because of the kinds of places I drive, and I'm now running the tires at around 34 psi, up from around 31 psi last fall. I drive about 10% NYC and 90% upstate NY rural. No rush hour. No big highways with the opportunity to do 80. I accelerate in fairly leisurely fashion most of the time and try to stay around 2,500 rpm. I shift no later than around 3,000 rpm, depending. Those of you with automatics will have lower rpms at higher speeds than the manuals do.

I'm sure this isn't a complete fluke because a friend of mine had a Pathfinder with the same engine and also got 21 mpg.

I don't travel exclusively downhill but did I mention that I also have this really big sail...
    Thanks. I think I just have a heavy foot and drive at 75 - 80 mph --- 60 highway miles a day. Also, have the automatic which may explain things. Will adjust the tire pressure and see what happens! Average mileage is 17.26 mpg when not sitting in traffic.

Sasquatch_2000, yes, this is the same as old lower-end 300ZX engine! It was a good engine in the very early 90's and Nissan decided to reuse the design on a heavier vehicle.

The faster ZX models had more powerful engines. The lower-end 300ZXs were slow and ran 16-17 seconds in the quarter mile. The design is what sold the vehicle so well in the transition from a "Datsun" to a "Nissan." Kind of wish Nissan still made the 300ZX as it is like a Movado watch..never goes out of style.

The Marine may get his "chops busted" because even though the X is designed and made in America, the Japanese still make the profit.

etings1, try these URLs for a grille guard:

http://www.tjmproducts.com.au/bull_bars.html

http://www.nissan-offroad.com/

For some reason, I remember reading that auto's got higher mpg ( found it strange cuz it was always the other way around )
    I always ran at 32psi, same as all my other trucks, but I think 34 might make for a rough ride in the city.
    Q. of the day.. who has checked the pressure in their spare ?
  • dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    :)

Annie
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Not I. And I know that I should. I also keep meaning to practice getting the spare off and putting it on the truck, just so that I know how to do it, but I procrastinate. One of these days...

Mindie
    "Hi everyone. I just received an Xterra invoice from a Nissan dealer and was wondering if anyone knew what a $400 charge listed as "MA" is for."

Don't tell me, Massachusetts (Taxachusetts) figured out a way to tax everybody in the country!!!!
    "Sasquatch_2000, yes, this is the same as old lower-end 300ZX engine! It was a good engine in the very early 90's and Nissan decided to reuse the design on a heavier vehicle. "

OK. Now didn't that engine get 222 HP in its normally aspirated mode back then? What is its normally aspirated power now? It should be better if anything, right?
    hey y'all...there is no shame in my game! When it comes to getting my monies worth I go with the best bang for the buck. Pride, got it, built in America, yes I am, but I do not have to have so much pride where I look crazy for buying (oh lets say for example) a Ford. I would rather keep mine on the road for a little longer than what they can warrent me! The Japanese are just using american designers/workers (quality, quality, quality) then putting their name on it. Lol. Keep up the questions and statments about the X, I am having loads of good reading material. -Later...A Marine
    Marine, first of all, thank you for your service to our great country. Sorry Canadians if you feel out-of-the-loop. I love your country for the fine Cuban cigars you supply us and the lovely beauty (in the summer).

I do not blame you regarding the domestic/foreign quality issue. Just wondering if your CO will care? Maybe things changed in the past few years? I do not see many foreign automobiles around Quantico, VA?

Just waiting for FORD to give us Explorer owners a refund or a replacement truck pending the US Federal Detroit lawsuit filed on June 2nd. Like that will happen as FORD plans to hold this up in court for years and blames Firestone. The kicker is, FORD lists the GENERAL GRABBER AW as a replacement tire (the same tire as on the '01 X SE). They, too, are trying to give away the tires I and many others would not put on our lawnmowers. Another option is the Goodyear RT/S which I already replaced and have not been reimbursed in a year by FORD.

Given all the problems I had with my X, it is still better than an American Manufacturer's vehicle! The people on here asking about the X vs. the Ford Escape should not even think twice. The customer service is 100% better and Nissan does seem to care about repeat business.

Did an acid test on the speaker issue..replaced mine tonight with higher-end speakers and the radio does sound better (did not think it was bad in the first place). It takes about 10 minutes per speaker and is very easy.

OK, waiting for others to post....

Peace
    I thought Cuban cigars come from Cuba. Besides, they are illegal here anyhow. Maybe you meant Canadian cigars.

Speakers: When I would move home from college, I hooked up my bookshelf speakers to my AM/FM stereo in the back seat, and they sounded AWESOME. Now, this is with a BASIC 1978 Dodge radio.

It will be interesting to see the Liberty compared to the XTerra.
  • xxxsolarxxxxxxsolarxxx Member Posts: 3
    hi marine,

yeah, agree with you. i don't feel any shame as well when i brought my x. we're talking about our hard earn money, it's better to spend it wisely. pride? to hell with it. we are a great country, we have many good and quality products. but when we talk about cars, we need to admit it, our car sucks. hopefully those domestic can get better quality in the future. also remember to do a test drive, compare the x with different models before making you decision so that there is no complain here and there like a crying baby later on. luckily i did that and i never regret about it from day 1.

good luck to you ;)

xxxsolarxxx
    There was an interesting article in the NY Times on Thursday, June 7 in the "Circuits" section, if anyone reads it. Dutch and Swedish researchers developed an in-dash computer gizmo to provide feedback to the driver about gas usage minute by minute. They did studies and found that when drivers paid attention to the feedback and adjusted their driving style, mileage improved by as much as 20%!!! even in city driving.

As you might expect, pedal-to-the-floor starts and then brake-screeching to the next red light is bad. Shifting at too high an rpm is bad. Unfortunately, the article didn't provide any other useful suggestions.

And yes, 34 psi gives a somewhat rough ride. As the tires naturally lose some air, I'm going to leave them lower.
    Hey, the in-dash gizmo sounds very nice! May have to get one right next to the radar detector/radar buster mounted in the dash.

Canada does not make Cuban cigars, but we can get Cuban cigars from Canada. Never heard of a Canadian cigar except for one manufactured in Montreal with Domican leaf. Had the trade name: "AZ" three years ago. Had two sizes and two grades. One with a green band and one with a black band.

Ok, this is an automobile board.

The home speaker thing is funny....have seen a lot of kids driving Honda Civics or Dodge Neons with speakers as big as their back seats driving around the city. Next thing is to put purple neon lights under the vehicle and wear a tank top. Oh, do not forget NOT to wear deodorant and spray cheap cologne all over yourself.

Saw a prototype '02 X at a shopping mall as Nissan was doing a road-show. The front looks great and the supercharger alone makes me want to trade-up! They also put in a 300 Watt radio and moved the parking brake. Ah, an XTERRA commercial is on TV now, so I have to go listen to Lenny Kravitz sing.

Radiogirl, how is your X? Been silent lately?
  • jrortizjrortiz Member Posts: 2
    I was quoted $22822 for a 2001 XE 3-pack, 5 speed manual, splash guards, V6. Is that a good price. The different sites I've researched tell me it's on the low side of average. What does everyone think?

Will buy this weekend, hurrry!!
    They are giving away the XTRRAs now. Shoot for $22,000 even. If you do not get that, wait for the better model next year.

Some people are getting the SE, Auto for $23,000 even. Read the historical posts.
  • jrortizjrortiz Member Posts: 2
    After reading through the posts and taking a look at what is coming for 2002, I decided to wait for that supercharger!

Thanks msiseng for your input!
    Watch out for that supercharger for it requires premium fuel. But kudos to you if you get it.

And about that little squabble betweent domestic and foreign, get a X! I have seen a reserved guard driving a X and I see nothing wrong with it.
    Ok, I think you are right, I am going to go with it. They Internet dealer that I am working with right now has told me about Nissan's 3.9% financing for the month of June, but he does not think that will be around when I get there in September (such is life). I am wheeling for a SE 4x4 Manuel and he quoted me with "unit equipped with 4-wheel drive is priced at $24692.00." Since that is an automatic I think I can atleast get him down to $23,000 even since I am wanting a manuel and have a large cash down payment. What do you all think? Or maybe I can go with Edmunds advice and ask for lower than that. That a-way I have room to work up, kind of like how they start high and work down to what youmay think is a 'fair' price (even though they make out). Again, the new one's are almost out so I have room to bargin because they will want to make room for the newer ones. Well experts, let me know what you think...thanks, for now...'a wanna be 4x4 SE Silver X'er...Marine
    If you have your heart set on an '01, you can get an SE Auto for 23K now. $24,600 is the best price most of us got in January/February of this year. With the glut of X's on the dealer lots, they want to get rid of them and are offering a lot of "freebies" like neoprene seat covers, electric coolers, etc.... All the things I paid for. The cooler is awesome and well worth the price!

I would low-ball and see what they come back with. Always tell them you want to "sleep-on-it" and they will come back in a day with a lower price. It is not like the X is sold out now and the hype appears to be over. Most are awaiting the supercharger, the redesigned interior, the 300 Watt stereo with premium speakers, better tires and the new front-end in '02.

Dealers do not want you to have a large cash payment as this is not in their interest. The larger the loan, the more then can discount the vehicle because there is room for financing profit, even at 3.9%. Why don't you use USAA if you are in the service? USAA also has great interest rates for active and retired servicepeople. Get their negotiated price and work down $200.00 from there.
    Does any people know what a 2002 Xterra SE will approximate to? I'm thinking of buying one around hopefully September/October period. Thanks.
    Did the 300ZX motor make 222 HP?
    Did the turbo 300ZX motor make 300HP?

Is this the same motor as the current V6 in the Xterra?

How much does the current V6 make? How about the supercharged one?

I am assuming ahead of time, that improvements have been made to put us ahead of the 222HP / 300HP marks from maybe 10-12 years ago technology...

Please help me understand...
    Misisng, I took your 23K and offred him 22K (I think he may laugh, but we will see) and as for USAA, I am using them for insurance. If the loan rate is the same or lower at the time inwhich I buy my car then I will go with USAA. It all depends on timing with these people, so we will see. I wonder how much the 2002 4x2 will go for? You think it will come out around 23K? Another dealer is telling me 23,8xx (SE 4x4) floor mats, splash guards, etc. for the truck. He also said that the freebee's are just depending on how sales is going. I think they can do what they want...if they want.
    There was MORE than one version of the 300ZX! That means, multiple, mutually exclusive engines. The current SE 170 hp engine is a derivitive of ONE (but not all) of those older engines with a few minor adjustments. If you do not believe me, then call Nissan and speak with an engineer 1-800-NISSAN1. Ask to speak with the engineering department.

Marine, see what he says. He may take 23K. Read the posts on here and CARS.COM to see what people are paying. Recently, it has been 23K for the SE...over 1.4K less than most of us paid earlier this year. 23,800.00 is still a great deal for the SE!
    The new 2002 Xterra Supercharged will have 210 hp. Also, isn't the current engine of the Xterra's came from the old Pathfinder's which have the same specfications, 3.3L 170 HP?
    The supercharged engine has LESS POWER than the naturally aspirated motor of 10 years ago! (210 vs. 222)

I feel like this is a step backwards.
  • bshapbshap Member Posts: 23
    just because the engine doesnt have as much horsepower, which one can accept a class III towing hitch, get out of 10 inches of mud or snow? the Xterra engine has more power, just less horsepower.
    ...Nissan HAD an engine capable of more and didn't use it...

I wouldn't doubt it had more torque as well. Just think if they took the 222HP naturally aspirated motor as opposed to the 170HP baseline, and then supercharged THAT!
    They are bringing back the 300ZX in a few years, maybe they will make the X engine with more power?

What is in the Infinity QX4? Is the engine the same as the Pathfinder or does it have more power.

Driving 200 miles on the highway today was a challenge with the a/c blasting. Am seriously condsidering modifications to the air intake and to the exhaust to increase open-road torque. Heard this will only increase power by 14 - 18 hp, but is good at full-throttle on the highway? Anyone have experience with this (specific to the X)?

Heard on the Jim Wolf Pop Charger, but that voids the warranty. Modifications to the air intakes and outputs do not void the warranty according to Nissan.
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    Hi, i'm wondering if anyone can help me with this. i'm looking at a 4x2 SE automatic. iv'e got quotes ranging from $22,500 to $23,500. are these good prices? some are adding "documentation fees"...what are these, and are they legit? are they necessary? will i get stuck with that fee everywhere i go, so just accept it?
    thank you all so much for your help.
    Can't help much with pricing although I think you can get a 4WD for the higher of those prices. Never heard of "documentation fees" though. Tell them you're charging a "drive off the lot" fee equal to the documentation fee and call it a wash.
    those are the ad/promo fees.. I remember them showing up every so often.. I think it was a state thing.. some charged, some didn't. You should still be able to deal further though.. year model end is near.
  • bstreetbstreet Member Posts: 37
    thanks for the info. any advice on what i should offer? anyone know how long that 3.9% thru nissan is good for?

thanks!!
  • johnskevjohnskev Member Posts: 98
    msiseng:

The Infiniti QX4 is pratically the same vehicle as the Pathfinder. They have the same engine (3.5L 240hp) and body structure but the QX4 has addons like Xenon headlights, more sound dampening in the vehicle, 3 spoke wheels, different grill design, plus some more stuff.
  • cwilli58cwilli58 Member Posts: 8
    I finally found out about this message board from a friend. I have been interested in buying an Xterra, Liberty, or CRV, but I am leaning toward the Xterra. I had a few basic questions for current owners:
    1. what is the head/leg room like? i am 6'5"... also back seat leg room with driver's seat all the way back.
    2. how is the mpg? I live in Chicago and gas is over $2.05 for basic unleaded gas and I don't want to be shelling out big bucks just to drive.
    3. are the accessories ie dog gate, cargo mat, mud flaps, etc. sold at the dealer or do you have to order from some other location?
    4. I have never owned a vehicle that had the spare underneath the body. how hard is it to access and remove?
    5. a friend recommended getting the mud flaps because the rain/mud sprays up on the back pretty easy, any comments?
    6. Is the 4 too weak for the Xterra compared to the V-6?

Thansk for any help on these questions
    1. I'm small so can't really answer but don't recall hearing complaints from any big guys on the other boards.
    2. I get 21-22 mpg but this seems to be rare. The sticker is pretty accurate 16-18 for the stick and 16-19 for the auto, I think. Takes regular unleaded.
    3. Most accessories are from dealer. There are two dealers with really good prices, www.xterrastore.com and www.xterraparts.com.
    4. My first underneath spare too. Dropped it a few weeks ago with no problem at all, it's quite easy but it would definitely be a dirty job in bad weather.
    5. Comes with mud flaps, I think? Unless they're now part of an option package. The back does get dirty because of aerodynamics. The rear deflector (option) seems to help that.
    6. I have no basis to know.