Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Where? When? Roms, tell us more!

Why would they want to do a buyback? I find this hard to believe, but it would be nice. How many manufactures have ever offered a buyback going back in history?

If this is true, Nissan, PLEASE have some mercy and take my lemon "birthed" by a corn-fed temporary holiday worker on Monday, November, 13th 2000. LMAO!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The Xterra is nearing the end of its lease; it's being returned on August 1. We're already a couple of thousand miles over its mileage restriction, and we're not looking forward to the penalty. As such, it'll live out the end of its days quietly in its parking space."

Looks like the Long Term Road Test is wrapping up. Check out the reports, including a recent one for July, in the Additional Resources link in the left navigation bar (or at the top of the page).

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    I know most of you are fellow Xterra lovers like me, so I'm probably preaching to the choir, but....

I noticed in the article (Long Term Road Test) the back seat rider's opinions came out...

Every single one is something you'd see BEFORE you'd buy the vehicle, window doesn't go down all the way...no center shoulder strap....

One thing I HAVE noticed is when people find flaws with the X- they are basically summed up by "it doesn't have the little details". YES! remember the ad "Everything you need- nothing you don't!"

Same sorts of complaints about the Jeep Wrangler- "Uh, it's kind of noisy with the top off..." Well, DUH!

Obviously there is a need for the RAV 4s, Santa Fe's and CRXs. Take the utility and toughness out of a Sport Ute and make 'em happy. Disgusting.

I shopped for a truck, bought the X, got a truck, love it. End of story. GOOD FOR ME! I am pleased.
    next thing you know, someone will buy a Dump Truck becasuse it's cool and complain about lack of up front passenger room...
    "....I want a 2 wd HumVee, with baby seat anchors."
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I want an XTerra, but I want the stylish yet not as useful wheels which will in turn cause me to buy $175 tires which I won't even use off road.
  • mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    I'm interpreting that as a hit at me, sasquatch. If I happen to be wrong about that, go ahead and ignore everything that follows and accept my sincere apologies.

Tell me again why you care what wheels I like or don't like? Who cares if I like the 16's my X came with? I'm not complaining about the price of tires - you're the one making a big deal out of that. I've merely stated the obvious fact (and, might I add, a fact that I was aware of before I purchased my X) that tires for 16 inch rims cost more. So be it! If I didn't want to pay that much for replacement tires, I would have bought an XE or I would have replaced the wheels I have. I opted against that though. Get over it.

And as far as your assumption that I don't take my X offroad (do you make that assumption because I'm a girl?), all I can say is that you're wrong. I've been offroad before. I'm going again this weekend. I'll be in Ouray, CO, for a week with 80+ other Xterra owners in September for even more offroading.

Get over yourself already. Just because people have different ideas than you about what rims/tires/etc are best for their purposes doesn't mean that you need to spout off the way you have.

Sorry, everyone. That just ticked me off.

Mindie
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I also heard October from a NY dealer.....Altima first.....then Maxima......then Xterra.......also heard of the buyback for "certain" customers.....they will give you blue book, sell it for the same and get you to buy a NEW truck......not a bad deal.......I heard they have to come to you, you cant take the initiative....Mike
  • cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Heh. Spare me. This coming from a guy who considers the gravel lot at the sweet corn stand to be "off-roading". I personally prefer alloy wheels to steel. Stronger. (yes, if/when it does break you can't bend it back). I know you couldn't bend a cheap steel rim back into shape the trail to save your life. The whole point of this to begin with was cost factor. Swapping to 15's and getting all new tires probably isn't going to save anybody any money than sticking with 16's and paying more for rubber. But if somebody wants to do it and has the $$ then go for it.
    Mindie- I don't think SASQUATCH was ripping on you.

He was joking that the X, as good as it is, has caved in to marketing pressure to a degree by not putting the most off-road savvy wheels and tires on the truck at the factory.

He was following up my examples of rediculous comments people make about real SUVs.

"IF" he was ripping on you, then I will scold him for you.......Bad Sasquatch! Naughty! No soup for you.

PS Mindie: When I read your posts- I am impressed with your comments and participation, we/I value your insight here- there are not enough females who are into their vehicles. You're groovy in my book.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    rrrrrroarrr ggrrrrrrrrr!!!

mmmmmmmmmmrrrrrrrrrr!!!

sasquatch BAD !!!

;-)
    SASQUATCH bad, GROG sad.

"not that there's anything wrong with that"
    Nothing feels as good as no longer looking at those General Grabbers!

Just got my Goodyear Wrangler AT/S put on- WOW! What a difference in looks. Makes the whole design of the truck look way better. Even the SE "4-prong" rims look great (I preferred the XE rims prior to my new tires).

From my resaearch, I think I'll be pleased in snow and off-road as well. And man, are they ever gnarly.

Surprisingly low road noise too for how beefy the tires are. That was a bonus!

....Grabbers, I wish thee well on your next vehicle, I am just glad it isn't on mine!
  • silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    These kinds of reports get me so steamed.

It's comfortable, there are plenty of amenities, the steering is NOT numb (try driving my Ford Ranger if you want to feel numb), if you have too much body roll try putting some air in the tires, it's quiet, and so step up, what's the big deal, it's a truck for pete's sake.

Go spend five bucks on a double cappucino latte or something, and leave us happily alone with our Xs.
    No kidding.

If a truck doesn't drive like a ferrari, have the cargo space of a semi-truck and comfort of a featherbed- the designers have missed the mark.

Geeeeez. I wish they'd drive a BMW and complain about its inability to climb rocks and curbs with aplomb...

What we'll never see....

"The 730i while a nice import, did very poorly in our mud pit- its tight steering was too harsh in the off-road areas. We were also disappointed by the 4.9" ground clearance- hardly adequate for our Moab test track."

Arrrrgh.
  • doverlxadoverlxa Member Posts: 15
    Hello all -

I must say that this message board is very entertaining. I have read many hours of old posts and have now decided to contribute.

I'm located in central FL and plan on purchasing my new XE with all the packages in the next few months. As many others have stated, I'm still trying to decide on the '01 or '02. Regardless, I just wanted to say hi and thank you for being there to answer so many questions. I can't wait to contribute to the wealth of knowledge!

By the way, who was the STEVE guy from Mass. that flies people up to buy a new Xterra? Just thought that might be fun...

Thanks,
    BEN

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was torn between the Xterra and the Audi A4...yes, I know these two cars serve totally different functions...that's my problem.
    That'd be Steve Fisk. You can find him at www.xterrastore.com. Click on "Sales."

Mindie :)
  • xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    Steve Fisk.. Malboro Nissan, (Mass.) flew you in, and gave you a digi camera to take pics on the way back home. I don't know if he is still doing one or both.
    Nice enough guy, met him a few times, worth checking into.
    Between an X and an Audi? Isn't the Volkswagon Passat the same as the Audi A4 for a much better price? Or, is that the Audi A6? I would never buy German based on principle, but think they make the best vehicles in the world. The service is usually better, as well.

Maybe you want both the X and the German vehicle with the savings of a Passat over an Audi? I heard it is something like $12,000 difference for the identical automobiles with different name plates? That way, you could have a great city/highway car and a vehicle to off-road on the weekends!

Hotcoffee, how much did you finally pay for the Goodyear's? Love your quote, btw!

Steve from Mass. sounds interesting. Wonder if he will do the same for the Pathfinder? Would be nice to take a vacation and drive down the east coast :-)
    The GoodYear 225 70 16 AT/S were $136 each plus mount/balance. And got $30 each for the Grabbers!

Ended up around $500 for 4 out the door mounted/tax etc. I had a used spare of matching size mounted instead of a new one.

They absolutely TRANSFORMED the look of the X from those Generals. Lots of sidewall texture.

I'll get an after picture posted soon.
    I got to test out the new tires this weekend. If anyone's interested in seeing some pictures of our group, check out this page:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292435903

I'm not in a lot of the pictures since I was the one using the camera, but when you see Silver, it's me.

Fortunately, the Nissans didn't have trouble like the Jeep we met up with did... he blew his front brake line, broke a front shackel, and then later rolled the thing and it caught on fire. No one got hurt, thank goodness.

Mindie

Nice pix!

Those tires look good too.

What did you end up buying? Are those BF KOs?

Cheers.
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    I like the new idea of the Goodyears and when you get some photos posted drop the url down cuz I would like to see it. I am going to gt them to change my tires before buying. Just tack on the price at the end of the truck. Mindie, I am viewing your photos now and you all have very nice Xterra's.
    Nope, not BFGs. I got the Big O generic brand Bigfoot XTs. Though they are technically classified as a mud terrain tire, they're actually more of an inbetweener AT/MT. They performed wonderfully, btw! I have no regrets for that purchase! Oh, fyi, the Gold Rush Xterra is running Goodyear MT/Rs, and the red Xterra and the Frontier have BFG TA KOs.
    Nice Pics! Looks like A/Ts-M/Ts are necessary on those trails!

Did you get any trail damage?
    Nope, no damage. I had to scrape over a rock coming back up one of the hills, but it didn't hurt anything. And, yes, ATs-MTs were pretty much a necessity for those trails that day - there had been lots of flooding in the preceeding week, so everything was very loose, slick, and washed out. I think on a normal, drier day, those trails would have been easily passable, even with the Grabbers. :)

Mindie
  • grisouegrisoue Member Posts: 18
    How does the cargo space in the X-Terra compare to a minivan (say, a short wheel-base version)? I only require seating for 5 and I am not psychologically ready for a minivan, but I want my next vehicle to be able to haul a family of 4 with all the baby stuff.

Thanks for you input
    An X-bud in NJ travels quite a bit with his family (5).. the youngest being 5, so no baby stuff, and he doesn't seem to leave much behind, so it can be done. If any of your kids are hitting their teens, I think it would begin to get tight in the back seat. Cargo room with the seats up is good.. maybe tight for long trips, but you can always go for a roof rack of some type.
  • embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    Any advice for a new Xterra traveling from Dallas to New York. It will be roughly 26 hours in the car and a long trip for a new car.
    That is a long trip for a new X! The advice I have is to try to vary your speed as much as possible - don't use the cruise control on flat ground. And I think that you're supposed to avoid going over 4000 rpms (at least in the auto) for the first thousand miles or so. I'm sure others will be along with more advice...

Mindie
    The owner's manual says to keep it below 55 mph for the first thousand miles. That'll be tough on a long road trip! As mindie said, I think the important thing for proper engine break-in is to vary the speed/rpms. Something to do with the way the rings and pistons get to know each other to ensure a long, happy life together.
  • doverlxadoverlxa Member Posts: 15
    Hey -

Thanks for the input on Steve...I emailed him to see what his thoughts were...heard nothing yet.

msiseng: I wish I could afford both and X and my German vehicle. Also, the Passat and the A4 are not too much of a price difference...still too much to have both. Regardless, I don't believe the VW and the Audi to be the same...maybe the same maker but not the same service or quality. Which brings me to my nexy concern. Is there anyone out there who can give me a ball park figure as to how much you spent on standard maintenance for your X...say for the first 2 years? (i.e. tires, oil changes, brkae pads, etc.) The Audi's maintenance package (which is standardwith it's warranty) includes this stuff...could be worth the extra money??? AAAAHHHH What do I do? I think I might lease the X for abotu 2 years and see if I like the idea vs. my small sports ride. By then the new body style will be cheaper too.

BEN
    Not many here ( I think ) has had an X for that long, I'm just over 1 1/2 years, 35kil.. the only money I've put down is for oil changes, and one general inspection which incl. rear diff oil. Nothing replaced, nothing worn out.. still rock solid. Total cost 300$cdn to date. You might have to compare dealers to get better rates, not all of them charge the same.
  • jmuthjmuth Member Posts: 4
    My X will be 2 years old at the end of September...30k+ miles. The only maintenance I've had to do is oil changes, which probably comes out to about $150...and one of my front mud flaps ripped off whilst out exploring...but that's a whole nother story ;)
    An interesting question came up in the Jeep Liberty area relating to air intake location as it relates to how deep of water you can safely proceed through.

That seems like useful info.

I figured that since there are tru offroaders here, they could offer insight to water depth for the Xterra? (Frankly, I don't care how deep of water the Liberty can cross)

I guess another relevant thing is what if the X should stall in the crossing. Is the water pulled through the exhaust at all causing engine damage.

Thanks.
    I think the bigger problem discovered by the offroaders is the location of the alternator. It's very low in the engine compartment, lower than the air intake, and a number of people have fried them going through muddy water. Of course, splashing can also send water up into the intake, and the fan throws a lot of water around if you're that deep. Someone, I forget who, on the XOC board who had alternator damage has said he/she would hesitate to go in water much above the hubs now. I don't have my X handy at the moment but if the stock tires stand roughly 30 inches tall, that would be about 14-15 inches or less.

If you've stalled, that may mean you've already sucked water into the engine and you're pretty permanently dead.
    That's shallower than I'd expect. Glad I asked.

Thanks-
    Yeah, anything above the hubs and you're heading into risky territory. One trick when crossing semi-deep water (provided you know what the bottom surface is like) is to gain a little momentum and create a sort of bow wave in front of the X to push the water away. I don't think there is any exact depth the X can or can't cross though. I know Land rovers are rated at about 20 inches I think, (read that on a Rover site somewhere) but that's a whole different vehicle. I'd stick with the "if it's over the hubs then it's probably too deep" theory to be safe.
    Should I put the Kand N air filter on my new X?

Add horsepower?

Add mpg?

Worth the $$?

Any experiences....I understand it does NOT impact the warranty.
    I don't have one, but from reading about others who do: Some have noticed a small increase in HP and most have either no change in mpg or else it actually went down. Of course, that may just be because they're driving faster to try to notice the power difference. :) I don't recall anyone getting better mpg with it, but that's not to say that it didn't happen. Now's the time when someone jumps in to prove my memory wrong again...

Mindie :o)
    Thanks Mindie...

If anyone can help...

Also what about the Jacobs Ignition...? Anyone Bueller? Bueller?
    After adding a K&N to 2 different Nissan vehicles (Xterra and Frontier) the hp gain is pretty miniscule. My mpg actually went down for while when I first started using it, then it leveled back off to normal. I like them because you can take it out, clean it, and put it back in. You have you buy the K&N cleaning solution and oil for it though ($8 or something).

Jacobs? Well, first off you can toss your warranty out the window if you get one. I personally have never thought the performance
    increase you get is worth the cost, but that's just me. I know they work on high performance cars (mustangs, Z28's, etc), but I doubt you'd see much improvement on the X.
    Thanks!

I really don't care all that much about a couple miles per gallon.

I knew it was a hog when I bought it! I still love it...

Any suggestions on mods other than tires for my 2001 SE 5 speed?
    Anyone run out of gas yet? Am just curious. My gas warning light did not go on and the tank registered 1/4 full at 354 miles. All of a sudden, the X stopped in the middle of I95 between DC and Baltimore. Talk about terror. Managed to get to the side of the road by drifting, but it was over 100 degrees today. AAA finally came to help, but the gas tank was BONE dry!

Has anyone seen the gas warning light?

Good thing about this is that I found a cheap gas station that I otherwise would have missed! Look for the positive in everything.
    One more than one occasion, I have at least 50+kil ( 25 miles ? ) after I see the light.. I have my gas log, but never took the time to see if my biggest fill up was close to the max rating of the tank, nor what was the highest range of a tank.
    If you had 1/4 tank.. sounds like the float or the sending unit.. can't remember if you had it changed already ( as in the faulty fill problem )

BTW, I have the K&N filter.. no difference in MPG.. maybe an illusion of horsepower, but I always installed one for long term savings.
    what kinds of mods are you considering? Performance gains? Off-road improvement? In addition to better tires, Bilstein now makes shocks for the Xterra. They are way better than the factory junk. You can order them from spencer low racing (www.spencerlowracing.com) or I think macneil automotive carries them now too. Anyway, they are heavy duty off-road shocks (same kind that come with Tacoma and Chevy off-road packages), but they aren't so stiff as to make the ride uncomfortable. The only time you'll really notice the difference is going over bumps, pot holes, ruts, etc. They really absorb the shock and return very quickly. Plus they'll last a lot longer then the oem shocks.

Other "mods" to make (cosmetic): get the neoprene seat covers, get a cargo cover for the back, and get the wind deflectors for the side windows.

There are a lot more off-road mods now too if that's the way you want to go.
    The Bilstein shocks are well worth the money. I have these on another vehicle. My independant mechanic said the XTERRA OEM shocks are fine, but the Bilstein's are MUCH better. Love the neoprene seat covers and the cargo organizer, as well!

Now, what to do with the XTERRA bandana Nissan sent?

xcanuk, yes, I had the fuel sending unit fixed before...will take it in again and keep a log in the future! Live and learn. LOL.
    Thanks for the info...

Just saw the first TV ad for the 2002 Xterra..

It's Pretty good. An X climing a HUGE sand dune...at the top a bunch of people jump out and snowboard down the sand in an extreme manner. Then, with no spoken voice a word simply appears on the screen... "CHAIRLIFT"...

Sort of reminds me of the Fosters Beer commercials... but had an edge.
    2 questions...

1) Does using that adhesive tape on paint surface make you nervous?

2) Do they actually perform their intended function?

They are cool though.
    I think someone was looking for X rims.

There are XE rims at:

http://www.aaarims.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi

and the 2001 SE rims are located under the Nissan pickup truck area.