Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Nissan XTerra SUV

Comments

• Options
    silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    The idea of adhesive made me so nervous I got the other kind (Weathertech makes them) from www.macneilauto.com (I think that's the correct address). They fit up into the inside of the outside of the window channel. It's a pressure fit in the front, with a dab of sticky tape for the rear windows. BUt the tape goes on the inside of the channel so it doesn't touch your paint. I've had them on 3 trucks now and they're very good. No problem with freezing in winter or anything.

They work beautifully in the rain. You can crack open all the windows a couple of inches and not get water pouring down your leg. And you can leave them cracked when it's hot for some ventilation.
  • Options
    embassymarineembassymarine Member Posts: 51
    I just got an e-mail from a dealer in North Texas and she received 4 new 2002 Xterra's. She has not written me back about the price or what models she received, but she did declare as having them. So I am assuming they will hit the market soon?
  • Options
    hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    Thanks for the address/info- they are the ones I'm getting- too bad they are not tinted...
  • Options
    xcanukxcanuk Member Posts: 372
    I've got the stick on ( Ventvisor ) type, no problems with them, no big deal with the paint, had them on my other trucks. ( I even had to remove one set years later because I cracked one, they left no scare on the paint )
    A friend had trouble with the press fit type, they forced his window channel in winter, but I think his was an odd case.. then again, it might be because he drove a Ford and had nothing to do with the visor.
    In any case, worth having.. ventvisors come tinted, and I believe the weathertech (pressfit) do as well.
  • Options
    doverlxadoverlxa Member Posts: 15
    Hey XCANUK...

Thanks for the correspondence with Steve Fisk...he gave me his 800 number and asked me to call...now I just need to find the time.

BEN

PS. Anyone in FL have a great dealership in case the Mass. things doesn't pan out. I haven't been too impressed with the FL dealers that I have dealt with (i.e. Lakeland, Fort Myers, Tampa)? THANKS!
  • Options
    anyone looking for prices/models/and availablility for 02.. try here http://208.203.130.150/x/02/2002_prices.html

Doverlxa; Glad I could help, getting a new X and a good road trip.. good combination.

• Options
    Anyone buy this yet?

http://208.203.130.150/x/ctrim.jpg

Looks cool, hard to tell....

• Options
    dadlidadli Member Posts: 34
    Why does this SUV fog up? Only the AC clears it..also my tank used to get 300-360 miles ..last two got 260 and 280!!!

Annie
  • Options
    silverxglidersilverxglider Member Posts: 125
    The Weathertechs do have a slight tint.

Fogging up is an extremely aggravating thing about the X, IMHO. You're forced to use the AC whether you want to/need it or not. the only good thing I can think of is that it's supposedly better for gas mileage to have the AC on and the windows closed than AC off and the windows open on the highway.

dadli, is there anything different about the way you've been driving?
  • Options
    The link didn't work for me, but I've got a carbon kit in mine ( ordered through my local shop so I'd have to dig for the manufacturer ) I like mine, adds a finer detail to the interior, but be warned.. all kits are not the same, some scratch easy or peel off, it's the one add on worth seeing in person verses buying on line.

I had the fog issue at the beginning, but as time goes on, it seems to fog less. I still spray the antifog bathroom stuff inside every so often, maybe that helped. It only makes sense that the X gets better mileage with the windows closed and the A/C on.. with the windows down, the whole back area acts like a parachute with drag.

With all this talk of tank range, I guess I should convert my gas log and see where I'm at.
  • Options
    niteswmer2niteswmer2 Member Posts: 20
    I've been a lurker for ahwile, but now that I have my X, I thought I'd post. Friday night I bought an '00 SE 4x4 with 38K miles. Got it for 17.5. Couldn't be happier so far. I had a 96 Pathfinder and loved it, but I love this truck even more. I like the 'truck' ride and the awesome potential my baby has for going off-road.

- nite
  • Options
    shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    I have a NISSAN carbon fiber kit for sale......make me an offer...Mike

you can email me at shek3@aol.com
  • Options
    mindiemindie Member Posts: 109
    Congrats on your purchase! If you are interested in some wheeling with other X owners around Missouri and Kansas, check out the Heartland Xterra Owners Club - http://www.hxoc.net/

Mindie :o)

• Options
    xterracopxterracop Member Posts: 14
    I know this isnt an xterra but they are some cool pics of my policecar I was just issued. I have to drive this for 8 hours a day so I am forced to like it. LOL Xterra rules forever. If I could just get my department to buy me one for my next cruiser.

http://www.angelfire.com/il3/pwh/page16.html
  • Options
    Do you give X-owners a break for traffic violations ??
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I noticed at least 2 pictures "doing wheelies".

I take it you don't disconnect your sway bars. Is this possible with XTerras? You'd be able to keep those tires on the ground if you could.

Just a tip.
  • Options
    Yep, it's possible with Xterras. Nope, I haven't done it yet. I'm not sure about the other folks in my club though.

Mindie
  • Options
    cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    Great, more "tips" from the guy who doesn't even off road. If you're going to bring up disconnecting sway bars, at least post the benefits, as well as the drawbacks and possible safety concerns. Oh wait, you've never disconnected yours so you wouldn't know. Just a tip.
  • Options
    How would you know what I do or do not do, cygnus?

I posted information I knew about, that people who off road a lot do this. If you want to investigate further, that is your own business.

As far as I know, the benefit is that you can get better flexing of your suspension, and I don't know whether there are any drawbacks concerning disconnecting sway bars when off road.

I am open for corrections or additions to this.
  • Options
    Okay you two...

NO SOUP!

Easy on eachother, it's been hot- there was a full moon- we're all a bit cranky.

Love ya.
  • Options
    Well I am putting my down payment to secure my SE 4x4 Alpine Green (manual) Xterra this aftrnoon. I am rather stoked and pleased with what I am getting. We are still discussing prices, but when all is said and done I will be just under 24K. I do not think that is too bad at all. I will be back in the US in 30 days! (Rather stoked about that as well). I do want to make quick cosmetic adjustments though, like the wind defletor and the bug shield. Those make the X look a little bit more 'bad', so before my 26 hour road trip I will do this. I will also try and rack up a quick 1K of milage below 55 mph (like you all reccomended from the user's manual), so that once I hit the open road up to NY, I can open her up to a bit higher speed without too much concern. I want leather as well, I am going to try and get it for around 1G. I think you got one hell of a deal hotcoffee and I am not worth of such a deal I guess, lol. "I'm not wrothy, I'm not worthy." And everyone seems to be down to their last 5 - 10 2001 X's on the lot. They are seeling like crazy. Such is the demands on a quality vehicle. She said they also got in their 1st shipment of 2002's and they will go for MSRP or there-a-bouts. She said they new blue, "you either love it, or you hate it!" Well, I am not partial to yellow so and the pics I have seen from the new blue, um, no thanks. I will leave that to the people that really want to look "different". Anyone have any good pics of an Alpine green? Just curious. Talk with y'all later, tchou from Brazil...Jason
  • Options

You did great! By the way, you probably got the $300 tow hitch on yours (mine didn't) and maybe you also got the special mirroe (mine didn't) - that adds up.

Anyway- get all dark charcoal leather- that looks the best. The charcoal with the green centers might be cool too- but I'm glad I kept it simple on mine.

Heres a not-so-awesome pic of an Alpine green to tide you over...

http://www.mouseparty.com/xterra/csx_xtr_01_dw6.jpg

And congrats also on finding that color in 5 sp. all that is up here to be found are yellow ones- I was lucky like you, to find gold.

I'll snap a pic of the truck with the Goodyears today and post it asap.

Have fun! Safe travels.

• Options
    I wouldn't worry about 65mph to keep up with traffic...

Better safe than worried.
  • Options
    The one thing I am most happy about is that you decided to go for the 4x4. I really think you'll appreciate that choice! The Alpine Green is an awesome color. You can see some pictures here: http://www.xterra-trail.net/home.htm

Mindie

• Options
    What is that yellow tail on the second picture (white car)?

I noticed the tire on the roof. Now I bet there is one person who wishes the spare was out back instead of underneath!!!!

Also, what kind of wheels are those? Not the $39 AR 767, are they?

:-)
  • Options
    ...Nice pictures, Mindie!!!

Looks like a lot of fun in those X's!!!

Tread Lightly!
  • Options
    Actually, that's not my page, and I wasn't there when any of those pics were taken. I just pulled it out to show the Alpine Green. As far as the yellow tail, I can't find what you're referring to, so I'm not sure. Without seeing it, my best guess is that it's a tow strap? And are you sure it was on a "car" and not a "truck"? :p

For those whose spares are too big to fit underneath, someone is making rear bumper/wheel holders for the X now. I haven't seen any Xs with them yet though.

Do we really need to go back to the rim discussion? I never had a problem with the ARs, so don't confuse me with anyone who did. Geez.

Mindie
  • Options
    Here is a picture of my truck with the Wrangler

AT/S tires...

Not the best pics, but you can see the difference.

The first shows the tail light guards as well...

http://www.mouseparty.com/xterra/new/x_r.jpg

Here's one that shows bug guard:

http://www.mouseparty.com/xterra/new/x_f.jpg

• Options
    Soup [non-permissible content removed]! What are you thinking? Why did you put the white lettering out?! Hehehe

Seriously, the tires look great! Congrats!

Mindie :)
  • Options
    You sound like you think I was coming down on you. No no no. Don't get that impression. I was not. I did, however, think that it was your site.

Anyhow, thanks for the link, and keep on truckin'.
  • Options
    I guess that is another good reason to put the spare out back rather than under. (room for larger sizes).
  • Options
    ....you hurt my feelings.
  • Options
    Actually, I've had black walls on my Wrangler and my Grand Cherokee, and wanted a change...

Those big dark wheel wells were asking for a little detail. And I didn't want to fill them with huge tires...
  • Options
    Sas - [shaking hands to make up now] Sorry! That's the problem with typed words - too hard to read the tone. I didn't mean to misinterpret your intentions. :)

hotcoffee - That is the nice thing about having the white out - most everyone else doesn't. I'm just givin' you a hard time. :) The tires do look good though! Didn't you read that part? I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings! :P

Mindie
  • Options
    They put them out on mine without even mentioning it to me!

I guess I like it, other than having to clean the letters now. They are still a little blue from the protectant or whatever.
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    about the escape. I have owned an X 4x4 and put 36K on it and did some off roading and it handled great. I now own an escape due to my long commutes since it gets better gas mileage. As to the escape not being able to go off road that is a bunch of b.s. I agree it can not match the xterra/liberty but it does well in its own right and can handle a moderate trail as which ive done in colorado. I do not think it should be compared to the x/lib as to offroad ability since there is no comparison. But then for on road ability it should not be compared to them either as it ride is much superior. But dont put garbage on here that it cannot go offroad at all and mislead people cuz it can.
  • Options
    Good points- but, unless I am mistaken, the comparisons usually come from the Escape side.

Most of the X owners here would agree that the ride in an X, while comfortable, is less carlike than an Escape. But the X is less carlike than an escape.

I don't like the Trib/Scape, too generic for me. But I think it is a great choice for a lot of Soccer Moms (Just Kidding). It is a good all weather road machine that will take you off road where normal cars won't.

Enjoy your lovely car and quit wishing it was an Xterra.

And yes, the Liberty is a real off roader- nice ride etc. albeit unproven in reliability. I almost bought one myself.
  • Options
    I knew you were kidding.

You're number 1 in my book.
  • Options
    The $24,300 does include a tow hitch, mats, and splash guards. I think it is a good deal, I am thinking about asking a little less. Your X is very nice and stylish (hotcoffee). I must say that IMHO is one of the best choices of colors. THanks everyone for the congrats, I am looking forward to driving it around and possible seeing some of you there...Jason
  • Options
    my teeth hurt.. ;-) So polite on this board.. actually nice to see.
    Escapes might be nice cars.. but I still won't wave at them.. (J/K)
    Embassymarine, congrats, once you get to the East coast, there are several clubs close by, NJ, NY, Nexterra, Maxc, join and have fun... we may even cross paths since I try to head out to most of them at one time or another.
  • Options
    doverlxadoverlxa Member Posts: 15
    Hey ya'll!

I have been gone for a few days trying to get started with my new job...yes, the recent college grad. FINALLY got a job...I've heard that's it's an ongoing trend to have a difficult time finding that first job...I never imagined how hard!

Regardless, I mentioned this before but I never got a reply...please someone respond...ANY FL PEOPLE OUT THERE????

I'm looking for a good dealer in FL. I have checked out a few (Tampa, Lakeland, Fort Myers) but they all seem somewhat...umm, dumb and pushy. I do understand that this is the nature of the beast, however, there have been a few good dealerships out there that are known to have great service...CAN ANYONE HELP??

oh by the way, my friend just bought an Escape
    (I tried to talk him out of it but he couldn't be saved...anyway, it seems to have much more pickup than the X...too bad it still sucks! Oh and you want to see uncomfortable seats...they looked horrible to me! But he likes it...RIIIIGHT.
  • Options
    Right on XCanuk, we can hook that up. By the way what all do you ahve to do to join these chapters? Are they specific to that particular one, so I should just go there and check it out? I do want to learn to 4x and use what I have and not let it go all to waste! That would be an utter shame. I am excited to jump into my X next month, the only bad part is the wait, but the insurance is I GOT ONE! lol. The rest is down hill from here. I think I will buy the bug shield and wind guards now so that when I get home all's I have to do is a quick installation. Where did you get those again. The one's where it does not go on the paint do sound best and if I recall the bug shield came from Nissan?.
  • Options
    Once you get settled in, you can figure which is the closest club.. join one, join them all, sometimes the closer clubs host combined events. If you go over to XOC http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html you'll see most of the clubs listed, and link to their home page where you can join. There isn't a local club here ( no interest ) so I've become a transplant member to a few, and I'm on the strange side since I normally travel between 400 and 900 miles for a week-end gathering, but wouldn't have missed any of them.. if it wasn't for the $$ exchange hit, I'd do more. Generally, they all are a good bunch of people, willing to show anything and everything about the X.

Marine> As far as add-ons to the X, dealers charge a little extra, most are easy driveway jobs, and canbe found cheaper elsewhere. The one thing I've heard about the U.S. Nissan bug deflector is that is has a dark bronze tint to it, while the window deflectors have a black tint. Cosmetic matching detail.

Dover> order the X from Steve, buy it by Sept 14, then kill the week-end at Mt Washington NH on the 15th.. (there is a gathering happening), and then head home.. that wouldn't be a bad introduction to the X-world. Anyone can join, info is at www.nexterra.org

• Options
    I saw an Alpine Green X here yesterday...

Looooks niiiiiiiice.

You're going to be happy...

Did you see the bug deflector in my post a few back?

It is a Nissan one and took me about a half hour at a leisurly pace... It was about $75.

The tail light guards are pretty easy too... about $120.

The stuff comes with very slow and careful directions (for dealers to install them straight and perfect) ... if you follow them you can't mess up.
  • Options
    Ok, I will look into those clubs, Spasebia.
    Stay long, stay strong! Keep the groov goin'!
    Yeah dude, so the Alpine green is rather spiffy? I cannot wait. The marines here saw a screen saver I downloaded (Alping Green SE) and are watering! Did you bug deflector have that tint that xcanuk was talking about? If so I will just order one somewhere else. I am going to order them now so I can have them at my home when I get home from the lot. I will take a look at your photo again to see those tail light guards. Spasebia for that too. The day is so nice here as everyday is, you all should plan a road trip to Brazil. I hear they got some crazy sand dunes neat the coastline. Lol, youcan take the beach buggies for 20 bucks a day. Not to shabby.
  • Options
    had a gathering.. I'd show.. might have to put floaters on the X, but why not.
    My bug deflector is the Cdn Nissan.. and the tint matches, there are some slight differences when it comes to Nissan add-ons on each side of the border.
  • Options
    Wanna see a cool truck..?

The X Trail for Europe.(they can't get the X Terra over there)

http://forums.vmag.com/suvxterra0899/messages/1033.html

I like the X Terra better- but this thing would sell here, big time...

• Options
    Looks like a cross between a SantaFe, Pathfinder, and Montero.
  • Options
    cygnusx1cygnusx1 Member Posts: 290
    It would probably be a big seller, but it looks like a street machine. Look at the size of those wheels. What are they, 20"???
  • Options
    Probably-

It would fit a lot of people who like rugged looks- but don't go off-road.

There really are not many SUVs like that.