Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville Electrical Problems

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,122
    What kind of troubles are you having?

for OBDII the P0629 is Fuel Pump A control circuit high voltage...

You may have OBD I but I believe 94 and 95 have OBDII codes but OBDI type connections.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/361- 333-gm-diagnostic-trouble-codes.html

http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/obd2.doc.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jmosejmose Member Posts: 4
    car starts runs 2-3 sec stalls. yes it has obd ll j1962 plug for diagnostic. new fuel pump, filter . I was trying to find code definition for p0629, pass key resistence is 524 looks to be in range
    Install fuel pressure gauge while you start it. It probably will show fuel pump turning off after start due to P0962 problem=--whatever the problem actually is.

How was the P0962 determined? Were proper cables and reader that can do the odd 1.5 OBD setup GM had?

Your problem is NOT VATS so the key resistor chip is not in play here.

Who installed new fuel pump? Was it doing this before the pump was replaced? There may have been another problem rather than the pump itself. It is important to diagnose before replacing parts.

I used Act ron cp9145 scanner and proper cables to get codes, I installed fuel pump after testing, old pump was only putting out 33 psi book calls for 41psi. the car was running sporadically before, mornings it would stall 5 or 6 times afternoons it was running perfect. does the vats system disable fuel ,spark or the starter ? the only way to start the car now is to jump the starter terminals with the key in the run position. any help is greatly appreciated. thanks possibly a bad neutral safety switch?
    You've already been through lots of diagnosis.

The VATS disables the relay (high on the dash inside) that allows cranking voltage to go to the starter. The VATS disables the injectors. It does not disable the fuel pump.

I'd have to look at a diagram, but the Park-Neutral switch must be there and the ignition switch might be a factor (down near the bottom of the steering column). A few people have had wear on the various contacts that slide and make contact inside it. When you move the lock cylinder a rod moves the ignition switch to make a new contact for the crank contact while maintaining contact with the other contacts providing voltage for the rest of the car.

If you have a library reasonably close, call to see if they have AllData available on the computers at the branches for you to access. I used our local branch and saved the internet explorer pages (as complete pages which saves all the graphics) to a USB memory stick. You can also print and save to a CD or diskette depending on your library's setup. Most databases from our local multicounty system can be accessed from home computers, but AllData charges per computer, so they only have access at the branches.

• cpbowl300cpbowl300 Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 Bonneville will run for awhile anywhere from 10 min, to an hour and if i try and lower a window it will die, If I let it sit for an hour or so, it will restart and run fine for awhile then die again, when it does this the engine will crank over (not start) the windows will not go down and when I try to lower a window the interior light will go off. I have tested the fuel pump, I can hot wire the pump and the engine will run but the windows will not go down. the amps at the fuel pump when it is running is between 7-8 amps. Any ideas would be great
    Thanks
    Take the positive cables off at the battery and look between the multiple cables for corrosion. If yours is like the later ones, there's a lead spacer between the top and bottom cable, it may be corroded or squashed and affecting your contact. You should check the connections for positive cables where they go to alternator and other sources like the MaxiFuses in the Relay Center on the firewall.

You might have a battery problem with a post cracked or low output. Has it been out of the car for a check at a store like Advance Auto where they will run a check and charge on the battery?

The car has a buss for the grounds in the door sill about where you lift your heel over the door bottom. Pull away the carpet and plastic and check the condition of those grounds connecting into that buss. The buss is wrapped with electrical tape along the bundle of wires.

I would suspect a supply side problem more than a ground, but whenever funny things happen start checking grounds.

• cpbowl300cpbowl300 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information, I will install new positive cable ends and check the ground and get back to you. Thanks again..
    thanks for all the help imidazol97 & likeabigdog , my 94 bonne starts and runs great. I replaced the pcm and made a diode pack to trick the vats system. The pcm was still under warranty the diode pack cost less than five dollars, my actron cp9145 was just over 100.00 I would say it has already paid for it's self. thanks again. jmose
  • landpilot51landpilot51 Member Posts: 7
    Mine ran a little longer but would die in traffic or after idling a long time. Turned out to be the smaller positive battery cable that runs to the top center of the firewall. The new cable was around $45 bucks from GM and worth every penny.
    What went wrong with the cable?

There's a design flaw in the way it connects to the other cable. I've seen several bonneville's that had this problem. I initially replaced the end on the cable but in the end replacing it resolved my problems. It's been a pretty good car and only has 53k miles. Not bad for a 10 year old, huh?
    Is it the top cable with the lead spacer in between? The lead spacer squashes and or corrosion occurs on that end of the cable? Was the copper portion of the cable okay?

• yep95821yep95821 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Haven't had a chance to dig through all of the posts here yet, but have read several pages worth.

I just bought a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville about 5 days ago. Everything is great, except a couple minor things. The DIC is displaying the current fuel range (ie. 223 miles etc.). None of the buttons appear to do or change anything on the DIC (Mode, E/M, Reset, and on or two other buttons that I cant remember right now).

Also, the left power mirror works fine, but the passenger side doesn't.

After reading some of these posts, it appears that I will be checking my grounds and fuses first, tomorrow, and go from there. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I would be appreciative.

I will check grounds / fuses tomorrow and post results.
    The mode button should change between things like engine temp, oil life, voltage, and a few others. Oil life can be changed using the reset button when new oil is put in. Other things can't be changed with the reset button.

Do it change mode when pushing the mode button?
    Does it change between mpg, instant mpg, and miles left on fuel when pushing the mileage button?
    Does it change between English and metric when pushing the E/M button?

If none of these cause change, I'd look at the connections for the modules on the instrument cluster. You might try a little vibration on the area of the dash with the DIC readout to see if it will make better contact. I've read some problems with corrosion on contacts in the instrument cluster area on forums.

As for the mirror, is there a switch that connects the left mirror, then neither, then the right mirror to allow changing the direction of the mirror with the little buttons that move the motors?

Do you have an owner's glovebox manual that shows that type of thing? You might search online for owner's manual. Some of those have been scanned and put online for certain years. Yours would be similar to 2000-2005 (or was 2004 last year?)

• fltcladyfltclady Member Posts: 1
    Okay ... maybe this has already been discussed, I looked but couldn't find any answers.

My 2001 Bonneville (w/moon roof) has a leak somewhere .. my hubby has been looking but so far no luck. It pools up in the rear drivers side. He is going to look at the rear moon roof drain ... but hasn't had time yet.

Second problem, for some reason my window and automatic car locks have quit working ... alll except for the drivers door. The window on the drivers door works. The lock on the drivers door locks when I hit the lock button or the lock on my key remote, but none of the other do.

Any suggestions?
  • mdeciphermdecipher Member Posts: 9
    Found this discussion on 2002 model in another discussion group. Might help.

There are a number of reasons that you could be getting a wet floor. I have a 2002 Bonneville and I am quickly becoming an unwilling expert on interior leaks of the Bonne. At the moment, my seats are out, console out, carpets out, door trims removed, etc. Previously I dropped the headliner and have reinstalled it. Here is what I found.

1) Sunroof leaks: Sunroof has four drain hoses leading water away from a catch tray under the sunroof. The rubber seal on the glass is not intended to be a water seal. The engineering intent is to catch water in the drip tray and then route it through the tubes to the exterior of the car. Here is the catch. The tubes have several connections. First, a rubber boot secures the tube to the catch tray. It can come off. The tube itself is just a pressure fit into the boot, and can separate (mine did). And finally each tube has a connector just before passing through the body to the outside. These can separate (mine did, when I used an airhose to unclog them) The front tube connectors are on the side kickplates up under the dash. A heavy rubber mat is pinned to the floor and has to be sliced to get access. On the driver's side, the emergency brake has to also be removed. The rear tubes are connected in the trunk, immediately behind the wheel wells. You can more easily access them by removing the trim held in place with a couple of large black plastic push pins. You would be surprised where the water drains to from these leaks. One of mine was running out of the weatherstrip below the front door. I followed it up the weatherstrip until it reached the headliner. This was the separated sunroof drain tube.

2) Door Leaks: Another source of leaks is the doors themselves. Water flows into the door through the window channel and is suppossed to flow out through weep holes in the bottom of the door. The door inner has several large openings for access to the various machinery in the door. To prevent water from coming out, GM engineered a large formed polyethlyene sheet, that is adhered to the door inner with a strip of mastic from a caulk gun. There are actually hills and valleys in the caulk design on the lower edge, and each valley has a small drain hole to let water flow back into the door. After years of hot sun, the polyethlyene buckles and the mastic releases, and water just flows straight down past the door trim and into the car. I tried just reseating the mastic and found that it again released after just a short time. I am trying silicone caulk this time, to see if I can get the polyethylene sheet to seal once and for all.

3) Other Leaky Areas: Others have found leaks coming from their firewall area, and of course the AC condensate drain as suggested earlier. If you see a puddle under the car when it idles with the AC on, it's not plugged. The AC drain hose is designed to be closed until a water column builds up to cause it to open.
    The lock and window problem may be related to moisture under the driver's front seat over a period of time. People have reported that a network wire runs from the master control for windows and door locks in the driver's door to each of the other three. There is a connection for all four wires under the stuff under the driver's seat. I am not sure, but it may need to be unbolted from the floor to raise it and the mat under. I believe I recall mention of a tan colored wire.

Do each of the other door's windows work? Does the right front door lock itself when the lock button is pressed?

Please go to your carspace email. I've sent an email to your box from my carspace email. I see your carspace page has been set up, so you've been there. There is a mailbox in the upper right corner of that page.

• brotodd_98brotodd_98 Member Posts: 2
    My Car recently had the engine pulled to replace the transmission.Since re installation it has had another issue that was repaired but the security system has acted up with the usual issue of not being able to start up the car.It stalled once during actual operation and after getting it reset at a dealership and a wire bypass by the mechanic that did the work for me it again refuses to start.Any ideas out there?
  • grandpawgrandpaw Member Posts: 1
    My grandaughter has a Bonniville SLE 2002, the dome light does not come on, the speedometer stays on 140 mph, the gas guage does not work,the passenger seat heater quit and the trunk shows ajar but is closed. I think the problems are related but don't know for sure. May be a fuse or connection .
    Has anyone experienced similar problems ? Any ideas as to what to look for.
    Thanks.
    B Wellen
  • cgregcgreg Member Posts: 1
    My sons 2004 Bonneville SE has problems with instruments. Tach, odometer work OK, we think fuel and voltage are OK. But temp, speedometer, oil pressure don’t work – sometimes they spin all the way around until they hit another gauge. Any thoughts on where to start? Also, I found directions that indicated remove 5 clips and the cluster just slides out. Correct?

First part of VIN: 1G2HX54K74U

Thanks,
    Clark Gregory
  • crbowkercrbowker Member Posts: 2
    my bonneville stalls when driving at low speeds and you take your foot off the gas. what happens is the alternater stops working, the battery gauge drops and it stalls. will restart immediately but does this constantly only at lower speeds when letting off the gas. replaced the alternater and the tensioner but didnt help. got any ideas?
    I would have the battery checked on a load tester. Sometimes a battery is defective but still fairly new.

I would check the connections on the battery cable, especially the positive where you have two positives, one on top of the other with a lead spacer in between. Corrosion to one may be affecting the voltage to the computers. Separate the two positives and make sure they're clean. Check at the other ends of the positive and negative cables for corrosion. I would loosen the bolts slightly and retighten to be sure of a good contact. Be sure to turn off the AC inside car with key ON to park it, then remove negative ground under hood so you don't short any positive cable to ground with a wrench.

How low does the battery gauge drop? Do it go to the same value on the gauge as when you get in and turn the key to ON without starting the car?

You problem might just be a bad MAF sensor or gummed up throttle valve butterfly. Or it might be more serious like a crankshaft position sensor. MAF sensor wires can be cleaned with liquid cleaner. Throttle body can be cleaned. Best to have removed and cleaned.

• crbowkercrbowker Member Posts: 2
    have had battery tested and is fine. the gauge drops for 3 or 4 seconds then comes back up. or will come up again if u touch the gas. it drops to about 8 which is lower then when just turn key on.
  • btrickeybtrickey Member Posts: 1
    Where to begin.......?

1- oil pressure guage don't work....
    2- radio works.....sometimes
    3- none of windows work....except for sunroof
    4- power locks don't work
    5- mirrors either
    6- trunk,rear floorboard, and front seats have standing water

For the last 3 days I've been trying to figure out the windows.....I come on here and all you guys were very helpful....thank you.....I'm selling my car
  • dirondiron Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    This started off with the lights, except the headlights, blowing a fuse occasionally. Finally, two wires behind the fuse box melted. The wires lead to the parking light fuse. Once this occurred, the parking lights would not turn off. Checked the fuses and they were fine. Melted wires were replaced. The lights turn off if I remove the parking light fuse. I looked at the headlight switch and found it to be very hot. Tried a new switch and it did not make a difference. Checked for exposed wires and did not find any. Will try cleaning all the grounds as I found in this forum. Any ideas what it could be if the grounds do not fix the problem? Also, now the left turn signals do not function since the wires melted. Could it be a computer problem?
    I recall some people talking about a connector to the headlight switch having corroded or burned contacts and people replacing the connector. The symptoms were softened or melted plastic around some of the connector. Look at the metal contacts inside the connector you didn't replace.

• jasonjamesjasonjames Member Posts: 1
    my sister in law has a 2001 bonneville that the speedometer odometer cruise dont work. the car runs and drives ok but those items dont work any ideas on what this could be
  • fpadalinofpadalino Member Posts: 3
    My 99 Bonneville has low voltage to the fuel pump, the windows will not activate and neither will the power seat. I turn the key the engine turns over but will not start. After a few hours or the next day all of a sudden the turn the key the windows work and the fuel pump kicks in and the car starts. Four days later the same thing, Any ideas???
  • azuazu Member Posts: 84
    Common problem. Probably the ground buss on the drivers side. Take the trim off between the door and drivers seat and down below you will see connectors wrapped in black tape. Take them apart and clean all connections and add some dielectric grease. Also check to see if the wires are in good shape, That should fix it.
  • fpadalinofpadalino Member Posts: 3
    I will give it a try and let you know Thank you.
  • rmuranormurano Member Posts: 1
    statepig I had the same problem with my 94 bonniville check in the trunk on the antania for the radio there is a switch attached to it unplug the wires to see if that is it. or just listen at night when it's real quit and see if you can hear it cliking on and off if you do then just repales the switch. that how i found mine after taking it to two mechincs i fixed myself. good luck ray
  • smoreausmoreau Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2002 Bonneville - reading this discussion about electrical issues - I have to describe our problem - see if you think it might be the same thing... My son left his window down - rain came in - now windows don't work - cooling fans won't work -and A/C doesn't work.
    One mechanic says windows are electrical issue - $65 / hr to diagnose - Cooling Fans and A/C compressor need to be replaced - because they cause fuses to blow each time they are changed.... Estimated repair $750. So - I'm looking on line for parts and possibly a less expensive option - and I run across this web site / discussion. Your advise seems to have helped others - not sure if our windows / fans / AC problems are inter-related or not... I've read some of the advice to him (over phone) and advised him to check under carpet for 'bundle' of wires and to inspect / clean them... Your thoughts?
  • chagechage Member Posts: 1
    just bought this 92 bonneville... after one week, the temp guage went up to the red zone (280) a couple of times... had to stop and let it cool down. the antifreeze is ok, oil is ok, water pump is good..., so far no boilovers... could be the thermostat, but i'm wondering if it's something electrical because when i was looking at it with a friend, he tapped the display with his finger and BOTH the temp and battery needles shot far to the right side. what is going on??? thanks for any help you can offer.
  • nekitnekit Member Posts: 1
    Pontiac Bonneville 1993 problem - when you start not open the fuel injectors on the engine and does not include gasoline pump! Which module is responsible for this? Be grateful for electrical scheme
  • lemrajlemraj Member Posts: 2
    Good morning, afternoon, or evening. I'm new to this forum and hope I can find the help I need here. I have a 2005 Bonneville SLE with 71150 miles. Friday morning after stopping at a Wawa, upon restarting the traction control turned off on it's own and the left turn signal indicator dimly lit as if telling me a bulb was bad. As I drove off I noticed the turn signal indicator went out, that is until I used the brakes again. Also when using the left turn signal it blinks rapidly while holding the brake pedal down. I had some one apply the brakes while I looked at the lights and the left lights go out, the reverse lights come on!!!!! WTF? This only happens on the left side, can some one PLEASE help me! What is causing this?
  • lemrajlemraj Member Posts: 2
    Found the culprit! After checking the rear driver side lights I found a wire harness to the left and below the light assembly had came apart. Once reconnected everything is back to normal!!!!!!! Whew
  • cargirliecargirlie Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Bonneville and i am having trouble with the security system. The car has power and the starter is good but the car wont turn over. There is no power to the starter. does anyone have any suggestions?
    The starter is good. How do you know that?

When you say the car has power, does the starter have power. There is a problem with corrosion building up between the two or three positive cables that are overlapped on the battery. Those need to be clean.

When you turn the key to ON the security light should come on and then go off after a few seconds if the key chip is being read as correct. If there is a problem with the VATS security system, the security light will flash for three minutes and the starter and injectors will be disabled. That occurs after the third time you try to crank with a bad reading for the VATS chip.

If you are not getting an error with the Vehicle AntiTheft System, try having someone tap on the solenoid on the starter while you turn the key to crank. Many times the solenoid does not make contact and nothing happens when the key is turned to crank with a bad starter. The small hammer or object can be tapped against the solenoid down under the front of the motor.

The solenoid is the sausage sized cylinder on the starter housing.

• cargirliecargirlie Member Posts: 2
    the starter was removed and tested
    it is a defanate problem with sacureity
  • treetrimmerktreetrimmerk Member Posts: 2
    Have a 1999 Bonneville, with approx 183,000 miles......having issues with it quitting when driving, and it will not start back up ...have to let it sit for atleast 30 minutes, if not longer....Battery has a full charge, you can hear the fuel pump and starter engaging....
    There is a 2nd red wire the comes off the battery that goes up by the firewall. I had this exact problem and replacing that wire resolved it 100%.
    Does the engine crank over?

• timbo356timbo356 Member Posts: 1
    My 97 just started having heater lower issues when it got cold out. It first started not coming on at first and after a min would come on, now it will come on but never blow high even on high. High is like setting three, when at that and actually blowing dims off and high will be like one. You can get it to work for a couple mins if you get out and wiggle the plug on the back of the motor but still high is like setting 4 and quickly slows to 3. Also the gas gage will apear to be ok say at 1/2 tank but when sitting for a min will drop gradually in incromentsuntill past empty. My voltage gage reads 14 when the car sits at idle but smells like burning electrical and reads high end 15 ish. any help would be great on what to check.
    2000 Bonneville -Recently I smelled what I thought was burning electrical in the passenger cabin and it turned out to be a leaking heater core. I also had to replace blower fan in past. I thinks the blades are hard plastic, but don't remember if they give off a smell when the motor failed. Good luck.
  • jamila3wldjamila3wld Member Posts: 2
    did any one find out what the problem was with the parking lights not turning off? the same thing has happen to me today and im lost! i came home and parked and the lights will not go off?
  • jamila3wldjamila3wld Member Posts: 2
    i went to auto zone and had a diagnoise done because my check engine light came on and it came back code P0102 witch is the MAF sensor, and now my car shut off while i was driving all power and every thing i thought i needed a jump but after 5min i tried to start it and it came back on and i drove it home can the MAF sensor really cause all this? nothing else came back on the second diagnoise i had done but the MAF sensor again..i really need help and i cant aford a mechcanic to keep paying for defferent things if you no can you help please. thanks
  • azuazu Member Posts: 84
    Probably a ground problem. I have problems with the Sentinel system also and the lights stay on sometimes. I just turn it off and control the lights manually.
    May have had a similar problem on my 2000. Brought it to the mechanic and he said I had accidently turned the headlight switch to on full (all the time). When he turned it to the off position the lights went out but I still had running lights and they still came on automatically at night and shut off with the delay.

My headlight switch is on the blinker lever.
    Did they clear the code and it came up a second time? If so, you probably need to replace it. I've had to replace them in the past. When I read your post, it reminded me of the time when my 2002 Bonneville died on the interstate and restarted after 5-10 minute wait. Turned out I needed an ignition control module and had a crack in the housing of one of my coils.
    My 2000 is starting to cost me $$ to keep it running, but less than a monthly car payment!