Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Bonneville Electrical Problems

1235»

Comments

• aharrod30aharrod30 Member Posts: 5
    Ses* light
  • aharrod30aharrod30 Member Posts: 5
    Also try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so and reconnecting, you may have to reset the computer for the key but that's a simple reset process.if you even have to called the three step reset. I googled it thinking my key was bent or chip got confused.
  • cstechschultecstechschulte Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Bonneville, going on 3 years this spring. Never had an issue with it until last January when I hit 100,000 miles and it began misfiring. My local mechanic said it was normal around that time, replaced the spark plugs, coil packs, and module. Ran fine until the module went bad again in June and again in October. The module was still under warranty both times and was replaced with a different brand and it ran fine until now.

A couple weeks ago I took it through a car was and when I drove away it went haywire. The oil pressure gauge (which has been bad since I got the car) began dropping to zero and then shooting back up to full, and every time it hit zero the alarm would ring and the engine would act like it was misfiring. I pulled over and restarted it and it drove fine again until the other day. I started driving when it was rainy and damp outside and the same issue started happening. Oil pressure gauge was going back and forth like crazy and every time it hit zero the engine would cough, not able to speed up at all. The only way I could stay above 50 mph was to take very long to gain speed and use cruise to stay there, but the car would not speed up even with cruise on. The fuel gauge also started going back and forth between zero and full (and I know I had over half a tank of gas) and the RPM gauge was moving really slow and almost jumping up and down. The speedometer also started doing the same, would move up or down very slowly and almost jump between different speeds, and said I was going 15 MPH when I was stopped. Took it to the same mechanic and he said it was most likely a bad connection that was either rusted or going bad, so he cleaned up and replaced all the bad electrical connections he could find,

After getting the car from my mechanic it drove fine and I drove it back to school (about an hour from my home). The next day it was wet and rainy again and the car began doing the same thing, only worse and more frequent than before so I let it sit for the day and today it is doing the same thing again. Anyone else ever had a similar situation?
  • donanddebdonanddeb Member Posts: 2
    mmxbass said:
    My '96 Bonneville has the problem where every so often the warning chime comes on indicating that the parking break is on even though is is clearly not on. Sometimes this will remain in this condition for hours at a time and the chime is extremely irritating. Is there a quick and easy way to disable the chime entirely, the chime serves no purpose other than to irritate the occupants of the car. I was considering forcibly ripping the chime module out of the car but I thought I would check to see if there is a simpler and cleaner way to stop the chime first. Oddly the chime seems to share a fuse with part of the ignition system so removal of the fuse is not an option.
    I pulled the 10 amp fuse under rear seat of my 2005 Bonniville-labeled “audio”. Stops the chime but also stops radio from playing