Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Brakes

Comments

• Please note..I said "many, not all" may have been pre-owned and the context of my "neglect" comment was regarding those cars who may have been pre-owned since according to you there is a recommended brake maintenance. Also, I happen to live square in the middle of the so-called "rust belt" (in Pa.) I also concede that there may be a little known brake problem on rust belt cars and rest assured that if it is a result of material too prone to salt corrosion Hyundai will soon modify or otherwise correct it since from what I can tell they (Hyundai) seem to be "on top" of problems e.g your stuck power seat that became a TSB issue (probably this instead a recall). With that in mind I have little fear in buying a new Sonata or any other Hyundai product. In fact I wish I could justify (and afford) a new Genesis sedan!!!
  • Thank you, but although I have served (USAF, Vietnam war) I am currently a civilian working for Uncle Sam (Dept. Of The Army). As I posted recently I concede there may be a "material type" problem that renders these rear brakes more prone to quicker wear-out due to some type of sticking than other makes. But, if the rears are subject to this type of failure why not the fronts? I assume Hyundai utilizes the same materials and designs for all calipers/pads/and related hardware both front and rear. Not to mention these materials and designs are possibly used on other products within the Hyundai line up. This begs a further question....are these types of "failures" showing up on Sante Fe's, Elantra's or any other Hyundai product??
  • ayeuayeu Posts: 41
    Target - I'm serious when I wished you good luck. Doesn't PA use only cinders? Anyway, when you buy your Sonata, do yourself a favor and check your brakes at about nine months, though. Regarding a Genesis, I would check timing belt replacement cost before buying one. The Sonata has a chain which never has to be replaced (I know - never?) but the Azera, for example, is a $1000 timing belt replacement every 60,000 miles - mostly labor. I don't know if the Genesis is the same engine but many are not aware of such maintenance costs before they buy. Don't get me wrong - other than the first premature set of rear brakes and a seat switch (dealer called it a recall as opposed to a recent stoplight bulb TSB), my Sonata has been problem free. I just drove it to FL from OH for the sixth time (those highway miles again) and got 33+ on the highway. The brakes definitely are a problem though. They are very noisy when turning and braking because of the earlier preventive maintenance. Regarding the noise, the service tech told me "that tells you the pads are moving and they're not sticking". Not sure I'd buy another one but haven't ruled one out. Maybe pre-negotiate the brake service! BTW - looking at comments for the Santa Fe and Kia Optima and Sorento, they have the same thing going on. Good luck and thank you for your service to our country. Back to PA - when did they start using salt?
  • I have lived in Pa all my life (62 years) with the exception of military and misc. short times spent in other states for schooling and various other reasons and it seems there hasn't been a time Pa didn't use salt. Depending where in the state you live (some areas get much more snow/ice than others e.g. the mountains and around Lake Erie) its use varies from merely a lot to ridiculous. Pa road crews would much rather salt than plow it seems. Worse yet, there is a combination of salt and small "rocks" so not only do you get salt corrosion but the rocks chip the paint allowing corrosion a foot-hold. Cinders? I wish..and now the state is using a "liquid pre-treatment" so corrosive it rusts the (large diameter) bolts holding the sprayer and other attachments to the truck off in one season. In fact after this happened to their trucks the state changed to stainless steel hardware. So, corrosion is a large issue here, now more than ever.
    Regarding the Genisis..both the engines, the V-8 and V-6 use timing chains. Also, I was/am unaware of rear brake issues with other models in the line, will have to research more before shooting off. Still cannot figure why the front brakes don't suffer from these problems using the same materials and designs.
    I agree. The only theory I can come up with is the front wheel leads and kicks up the spray that coats the rear wheel assembly. How's that for a shot in the dark?
  • @ayeu,

I think you're mistaken on the timing chains. Azera, Sonata & Genesis all use Timing Chains & not belts. A timing chain doesn't need to replaced during the normal life of the car.
    Wobbly - maybe semantics, but the guide below calls for replacement of whatever it is (belt or chain) at 100,000 km(appr. 60,000 mi). It is >$1000 cost. When I bought my Sonata I was looking at a Tucson. The salesman erroneously told me the Tucson timing belt cost $1000 to replace. After I bought the Sonata, I asked the Service Mgr. why the Tucson belt cost so much to replace. He said "The Tucson belt costs about $400 to replace. It's the Azera that costs about $1000 because it is so hard to get at"

http://www.myhyundai.com.ph/pdf/azera.pdf
  • I like the tighten "under carriage nuts and bolts " every 3 months or 5K kilometers. I have never heard of that.
    Does anyone "Edmund's" calculate the cost of maintenance in the price to own?

Fuel pump Filter screen replacment? What does that cost?
  • @ayeu,

The website you're pointing at is Hyundai Phillipines. Maybe there Hyundai suggests replacing the timing belt. However, I'm looking at the manual for US spec Azera & it doesn't mention anything about it. Infact, I even called a mechanic friend of mine & he told me that timing chains aren't meant to be replaced before 100k miles (if at all).

The timing belts need to replaced at 60k miles. The belts are made from rubber/asbestos/polymer compounds. The Timing Chains are made from metals & are designed to last longer. The reason why it costs 1000k replace the Timing Chain in Azera is that it isn't meant to be meddled with unless there's something wrong.
  • Add me to the list of 08 Sonata owners with shot rear brakes at 19,000 miles. I should begin by stating the assistant service manager told me it would me cost $115 just to have them LOOK at the car, although he admitted he heard the grinding when we first drove into the service bay. The brake job cost $295 and that was only because the rotors were still okay. The front brakes still have 80% left. Later in the day the service manager gave me a lengthy speech about how the "slide pins" on the brakes need to be cleaned and lubed every 7500-15,000 miles and that if we had had the "15,000 mile routine maintenance" performed on time "this would never have happened". I asked him if this "slide pin" maintenance need was unique to Hyundai because in nearly 40 years of owning cars I have never heard of this. In fact we own a Toyota with 100,000 miles on it and it has only needed the brakes redone once...and like all our other cars, it has never needed any type of "brake maintenance". Obviously these service managers think we are all idiots.
  • I don't know where you live, I'm in DE, but I just had the rear brakes on my 2007 Sonata replaced at 21800 this morning. Total cost including "surfacing" the rotors was $194.95 ($125 labor and $69.95 for "58302-3ka60 Pad Kit-RR"). My service manager explained to me that the backs wear out before the fronts because they are about half the size of the fronts. Seems, according to him, that is Hyundai's way of balancing the front-back braking bias. Like you, I usually get 70-80,000 miles before needing brakes. Didn't like what I was being told that's why trying to check out the situation. Seems I'll be buying something else before the next set is needed.
  • curtrcurtr Posts: 3
    I have an 06 Sonata GLX - and have never had any problems with brakes, after 191,000 miles. This may be because I have disc brakes all around...The front brakes have been replaced three times - once with aftermarket pads that 'sqealed' after only about 10,000 miles, so the third set went on. The rears have been replaced once.

Now, I do my own work - and I'll say that both front and rear replacements have been among the simplest I've ever done. They're virtually 'snap in' - especially the rears.

Altogether, the Sonata has been the best car I've ever owned.
  • curtrcurtr Posts: 3
    I'd say that your service manager was entirely wrong. If the rears are wearing out before the front (the burden on the front brakes is substantially more than the rears - on any car) I'd have a reputable garage check out the balance adjustment.

Resurfacing rotors, in my opinion, is a scam - unless you have deep cuts in the rotor, you're good - at 191,000 miles, I've replaced the rear pads on my 06 Sonata ONCE, and it's a very simple job.
    tsigler -I live in Ohio. You are part of a long list that Hyundai (and some of the readers of this thread) refuse to accept or believe. Did your dealer increase the clearance in the pad slides? My dealer said that's the only way to prevent a recurrence. The good news is the brakes haven't seized since but they are a lot noisier. I got 11 months/21,000 out of my first set of back pads. I now have 63,300 miles on the car - original front pads and so far 42,000 on the replacement rear pads. I just rotated my tires and still have plenty of meat on all four pads.

As far as buying another Hyundai, if I were to consider doing so, I would have to build in the inevitable brake repair costs against the total cost of ownership vs other cars. Aside from the brakes, all repairs (minor) have been under warranty so haven't cost me anything. My dealer always has oil change coupons for $19.95 so that's inexpensive maintenance. They always try to sell service over and above what HMC recommends. A classic is "upper engine decarbonization" which supposedly "decarbonizes" your intake manifold and injection system. I asked the Service Mgr how carbon forms ahead of combustion. He had no answer. I declined the service. Ironically, back at 15,000 miles they recommended a $130 brake service. I declined that one, too. 6,000 miles later they seized.
  • I'm no mechanic, but it is my understanding that exhaust gases are recirculated back into the combustion chamber via the EGR valve. That is a likely source of carbon deposits. I'm also a fan of BG chemicals and their scheduled maintenance procedures. Their oil and fuel treatments breathed new life into my previous car. I plan to use all applicable BG products on my newly-acquired Hyundai.
    Here's their Fuel/Air Induction Service.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    The rear rotors on nearly every car with 4 wheel discs (with the possible exception of sport and high performance cars) are always smaller than the fronts. The brake bias front to rear is taken care of by the brake proportioning valve not by sizing brake rotors F to R and making the fronts larger. That said, the combination of smaller rear rotors + making the rear brakes share in much more of the work of stopping the car (via the aformentioned proportioning valve) may result in shorter rear pad life in the newest cars. In the "old days" the rear brakes did little in helping stop the car. I stated this before but we had a 1997 Taurus on which the rear brake shoes lasted nearly 150,000 miles. I thought that was great until the reality of the situation dawned on me....the rear brakes didn't do squat and were along for the ride. That HAS changed so expect rear brakes to wear out now. end of story!!
    Thanks for the tip on BG, I'm somewhat familiar with their products. My Sonata has almost 64,000 after three years, the brakes are working and it gets >30 mpg reliably. I'm going to assume that the fuel additives in the gas I use are working just fine. Regarding oil additives, oils nowadays are pretty slippery with good technology behind them. I change O & F after no more than 5,000 miles and it's still pretty clean.
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Seems to me, at least from all the complaints I've read on this forum, that these rear brake concerns are only on vehicles from the north or midwest where it snows alot. Down here in the South brakes usually don't have to be changed until after 50k miles at least. I have an 06 Sonata LX and I changed out my front pads at 54k miles(63600 currently) and have yet to need new rear brakes.
  • sudha22sudha22 Posts: 12
    Wondering whether anyone have come aross this issue. When I drive for 10 minutes and then idle or accelerate > 40 MPH, I hear a squeaky sound. This sound stops once I apply the break to slow down. Took it to the dealer and he said that the brake pad may have worn out because of over heating applying brakes at high speed. It was unbelievable. Then I asked him to just inspect. He took a look and said that he took care of it and if the sound persists, he is going to apply some kind of silicone Gel for $200. I was in a hurry and was optimistic that he may have fixed the issue. However, it was not. Still running with it. Planning to take it to a local repair shop as I don't trust the dealership.. Do you guys have any suggestion? Please help!
    This sounds exactly like my problem. If you read through this series of comments, you'll see that you and I are not alone. Most likely your rear pads are heating up because they've seized in place and will need to be replaced. They will use a heat resistant anti-corrosive lubricant that may have to be reapplied annually. It's a Sonata problem typical in climates where salt is used. Are you in the north somewhere?
  • Rear disc brake trouble is common on alot of vehicles especially in areas where road salt is used if your are mechanically inclined most of the time all it takes is to clean and lubricate parts when ever you replace pads. I think they should have classes on general auto repair that people could take so they could learn how simple most general maint. is and how bad they take advantage of people that do not know.
    Thanks for responding..
    I guess Hyundai did not consider testing in places where it would snow. I am from Michigan and hence it is true that we have 3-4 months of snow.
    Reg my scenario, should I just change the pads through a local repair shop and ask him to lubricate it.. Please suggest.
    Is it OK to drive until then or am I risking the rotor or any other component? Your feedback is appreciated..
  • I cant diagnose your problem without hearing it or seeing it but I can say this if your pads are rubbing your rotors they will eventually wear the pads out and ruin the rotors, take it someone you trust and have them fix it right for you, dont let the dealer charge you for some crap you dont need.
    Thanks again.. I took it to a trusted repair shop. He took a look and said that nothing is wrong. He was not able to reproduce the problem. He applied some lubricants. He did not capture the steps to reproduce the problem correctly. Again, I left my car with him today. I insisted that he test drive with me. He did and was happy that he acknowledged the problem. He put his head out while driving and he felt that the sound was coming in the front. He is again taking a look. I am having my fingers crossed now. I am little frustrated with all the repair guys of not paying attention to the fine details that we provide. Unnecessary waste of time. :mad: Now I am waiting on him to get back.. Having my fingers crossed..
    Not that this belongs in the brake discussion, but I just want to vent. Now my lights don't turn off automatically as they're supposed to. Of course, I'm 4,000 miles over the bumper to bumper warranty. :{
    Interestingly the repair personnel thinks that brake is not the issue. He thinks that the seal for the front wheel bearing may be heating up which is causing the squeaking sound. He said that he had sprayed some oil. He said if the issue is fixed then it would be temporary and that the sound would come back once the oil dries out. He said that it is covered by warranty and I should take it to the dealer.

It has started to rain since yesterday and I am unable to hear the sound. I just wanted the rain to stop before I can decide whether the repair shop fix works for sure or not.
  • I have the issue with headlights not turning off also. Seems like a really retarded thing to have the car waste a day at the dealer (thankfully, I'm still under warranty, just passing 30k miles), but I guess I'll have to.
  • jesscjessc Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Sonata, bought new from the dealer 2.5 years ago. I've always taken it to Hyundai dealers only and on time for routine maintenance. The rear brake pads were replaced in July 08. In February 09, my car had the 30K mile service done (it was actually done at 32K miles because they said with my oil change timing I could wait until then), at which time the front brakes were measured at 60% remaining and rear had 90% remaining. Fast forward to September/October and less than 7K miles later (mostly highway driving by the way, involving much less braking than city driving), and the car was making an awful noise so I took it into the dealership ASAP where I live now in MA and get this --- the front was measuring at 25-30% remaining and the rear was as follows -- ZERO% remaining on one rear side and the other side had 70% pad remaining but that is because it was IMMOBILE in the caliper... in other words, it was not functioning causing the other rear side to wear down to metal-on-metal and wearing the front pads down too. That is frightening that I basically did not have any properly functioning rear brakes for a significant period of time unbeknownst to me!!! Thank god nothing bad happened and the only thing was damage to the car. The rear brakes and rotors were, needless to say, totally destroyed and had to be replaced. This is the part you should be warned about and the reason that I am posting this message--
    The dealership that I bought the car from in Pittsburgh said that Hyundai corporation is fully aware that there are two major problems with its brake systems (especially including the Sonatas) 1) like in my case, where the brakes become immobile in the caliper and do not work or 2) the pads stick to the rotors and don't release and wear down to nothing that way. The dealer said that Hyundai refuses to issue a recall or even a TSB bulletin on the issue, instead they have some crappy "goodwill unofficial warranty" that if this happens to your car in the first 2 years or 24K miles they will fix the problem for free. Can you say hush money for not reporting the problem? My car is only 2.5 years old, and the Pittsburgh dealership was upset for me about this, so they contacted their Hyundai rep who is trying to contact the rep here in MA to take care of the issue for me. It cost me $500, hopefully I will get reimbursed. I reported this problem online to the NHTSA, and if this problem has happened to you also you should report it because the more reports they get, the more likely they are to do something about it! It is just plain frightening to me that the dealers admit that Hyundai corporation knows about these brake problems, that they happen often, and they aren't doing anything about it. Regardless of a recall etc., they should at least have the decency and sense of responsibility to tell us car owners that this problem is out there so that we can be proactive and get out brakes looked at every so often to catch things while the pads can still be replaced and avoid having to pay for all new pads and new rotors. The dealership here in MA thinks that the reason they aren't doing a recall or TSB is because this might be a regional thing linked to areas that get a lot of snow (calcium chloride on the road). Regardless, Hyundai should be telling us consumers who live in these areas to be vigilant about our brake systems!! The dealership here implemented a service that they now offer to check your brakes and calipers every X-thousand of miles. Hyundai should be telling all the dealerships to do this at the very least. BE WARNED AND VIGILANT ABOUT CHECKING YOUR BRAKES!
  • espo35espo35 Posts: 144
    I think you are being sold a bill of goods by the dealer who first inspected your brakes and is now telling you that Hyundai is "aware" of a problem. I think they blew it on the brake inspection. Techs often just look at the outer brake pads (which they can see without removing the wheel). Sometimes, the inner pad is worn a lot more than the outer one.
    Sounds like they are just trying to cover their rears.
  • Espo35 I think you should read more carefully the post. The problem is not that much how fast they wore out (it is but not the big one) but the fact that one of the rear pads is gone down to metal while the other one is at least 50%. That is not normally functioning break system. And yes the same thing happened to me with brand new 07 Sonata at 2.5 years and 26k miles on it. So it happens and quite often on top of that. The 2 dealerships I went to said that this is a common problem for the Sonata and one more model. So es they know about it and I filed a complaint with the NHTSA