Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevrolet Impala Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    I installed the metric cluster and it displays the odometer in miles just like txguy mentioned.

About the overlays, I'm sending them to the same place that is going to set my odometer to match my old odometer reading. They are going to charge 125.00 to reset the odometer and to put on the overlay then recalibrate the needles back to factory specs.

The reason I didn't want to do it myself is that I'm sure I'd have the needles all messed up then end up having to get the cluster fixed anyway.

Anyway I'll post pics and stuff when I get this thing finished.
  • Options
    n2thevoidn2thevoid Member Posts: 14
    uhhhh, DIC? so in theory i could just use the cluster and still have it read miles?

And the place you are going to have it calibrated at will do the white face thing (you provide the face)? then the recalibrate it and do the mileage? specmo.com?

Ok, just went and tried the DIC thing, man do i feel stupid. Well then i guess get the mileage redone and do the whiteface thing and i'm in business. Woo hoo
  • Options
    yep you'll be all set. I'm waiting for my overlays to arrive then I'm going to send it to michigan for odometer reset and have the overlays installed.

Keep us up to date on your progress too. I'll have pics put up at http://ghostwolf.xaper.com/ (use a popup blocker) once mine is finished.

Have a great weekend
    gw
  • Options
    well i sent my cluster off to get the mileage updated. what got me was the dealer that is doing it. They said they would do it to any miles but they could only go up. So i go in today and tell them my current miles and requested that they add about 200 or so to allow for my driving during the week. They refused. So they will not go down in miles but they will allow me to have an odo that reads about 200 miles lower than it should be. The other thing that got me mad was the fact that they used Specmo.com. well i guess i coulda just done it myself but the dealer was actually cheaper ($80 for the whole job) and i do not have to pay for shipping. GW, where are you getting the white faceplate from?

I think i might forego the white face and just go metric all the way. That way i will never get busted for doing 90 in a 65 ;)

Oh, i got to thinking about the carbon fiber thing... i'm just going to scavenge the local junk yards and see if they have what i am looking for. If the cluster bolts right in i would imagine the door panels will too. I've also considered taking the wood off and painting it black(my exterior color)then remounting it. Not too many Impala's making it to the scrap heap though so my search may be fruitless. i guess that is a good sign.

How hard was it to install the bumper extension too? i would love to do that. the '01 LS looks cheesy without it. And i simply refuse to lose any ground clearance with the ricer look ground effects kits i have found.

One last thing, Is anyone having any troubles with the rear deck impala logo? mine seems to be corroding.
  • Options
    #1 - Your dealer must be good cause mine wanted double what sending to it to specmo would be.

#2 - I'm not sure I follow you on your milage situation.. my cluster is at 0 miles so what I'm going to do is write down the miles from my old cluster, pull it and not drive it until they send back the new cluster with the updated miles. That way there will be no discrepancy in the odometer reading. But not sure why you would need to lower your miles if you have a cluster you need to match?

#3 - getting the faceplate from pfyc.com I ordered it and am waiting for UPS to get it here.

#4 - good luck at the junk yards, around here its like you said, they are hard to come by especially an interior with carbon fiber.. then they really don't want to sell you just the door trim they would rather sell the whole door if its undamaged. So getting all 4 doors would be a miracle. So I havent decided what to do for the trim yet. But I hope you find parts.. anything is possible with enough persistance

#5 The bumper extension thing I did was kind of a disaster, if I had it to do over again I would have deffinately ordered the bumper with the holes already in it and the extension. I had to pay as much in labor to get that extension put on as if I had bought the part. If I had bought the part I could have sold my old bumper on ebay or kept it as a spare and came out ahead. But I do like the look of it and I do agree with you that the ground effects packages I have seen are over the top. Don't know if there are any out there that are closer to GM's.

and lastly the logo corroding.. no I haven't had that problem yet.. I wonder if you live in a place with lots of road salt? I dont know what to say except check junk yards for a good one or your parts department and order a new one.. youre talkign about the leaping impala at the keyhole for the trunk?

Have a good one
    gw
  • Options
    Mileage goes like this. I go to the dealer and they write down the miles i have on the stock cluster. Bad thing is i have to drive this car every day. so it started at 43000mi. That is what they told specmo to put on the new cluster, 43000mi. Well after driving it for a week i will have approximately 250mi on the old cluster so about 43250mi. Then the cluster that is coming from Specmo is only going to have 43000mi on it. A total difference of 250 miles. All was lost i thought.
       Then thanks to the Canadian Cluster, Specmo asked the dealer to have me give them a call. They were confused why i wanted miles on a metric cluster. They said all they could do was, do the conversion and put on that much on in Kilometers. Otherwise they would have to convert it over to an imperial measurement cluster. No thanks, that would add about another $100 to the price of the mileage change. Besides, i can change the miles/Kilometers in the car via the DIC. Something they had no knowledge of and something you may be questioned on GW. Just tell them to do the conversion and give it to you in Kilometers. Worst that could happen, you have a kilometer reading instead of miles. It's still the same distance.
       So, while on the phone with specmo, i asked if i could add about 250 miles to the total to bring the new cluster up to the proper miles. their answer:
     "Sure can, and is that all the miles you want?"
     "Yessir, and do you deal with the public? or just with dealers?"
     "Dealers and the public"
       Something my dealer was quick to deny. "Oh No," They said "These guys only deal with certified dealers."
       So on the good side i will have the PROPER amount of miles, and i should have my cluster by Friday.
      When i go in the pick up my new cluster i will talk to the parts lady about the door panels. try to get a part number out of her.
      As for the Impala Logo. I live in Wisconsin. Salt Central. and this may be the last winter this Impala sees. It's killing the weak paint GM put on.

One last thing, when you get the whiteface plate can you tell me if it is in three pieces? The new cluster has three face plates because the Speedo is offset from the tack and the other gauges. The email i recieved from PFYC.com said that it IS an OEM replacement. so it should be in three pieces. I don't know if you took your cluster apart or not. I did.

N2
  • Options
    Hey n2,

I just got the white faces today. They are in 3 seperate pieces. I will be sure to write down the km and the miles before I send them the cluster then they can take their pick on how they want to set it I guess.

Hey I know what you mean about that road salt. I grew up in Michigan and it just kills the cars there. I'm in Arkansas now and its pretty common to see very nice looking 66 Chevy Impalas on the road with no rust.

I bet the price for the 4 door panels (Sport Appearance ones) are pretty high. Will be interesting to see what you find out.

take care
    gw
  • Options
    I got my cluster back from the dealer/specmo today. Luckily Specmo put the miles on it that i wanted. So now i am only 2 over the actual instead of 200 miles. It all works and looks great.

They did do the conversion and set it anyways but it reads correct. All works and after a small test i found that it is reading almost dead on. We have one of those radar things here in WI that tells you the MPH on a huge readout.

Sounds like good news on the white face plates. Can't wait to get one of those. Just have to wait for the money. I have a friend that just did it to his car('86 Beretta Z26) and only paid about $80 for his. While it looks nice and can change colors he said he is having troubles with some of his needles sticking. This is due primarily because it is an OVERLAY and not a factory replacement of the plate itself. i guess you get what you pay for.

I did ask the dealer when i was there about the carbon fiber door panels. I got a part number for one of them and the price was around $560 for one of the panels. This was the entire door panel. not including some of the odds and ends that go into the entire assembly. once i saw the price i thought it was a bad idea to go on with the P/N lookup. oh well, i guess i will just keep scouring the local junkyards till an Impala LS Sport comes in.

• Options
    Hey n2

I mailed everything off to specmo and am waiting so I'll let you know.

I thought the door panels would be high but I'm suprised its that high.

Talk to you later
    gw
  • Options
    The price of the panels did not suprise me too much. Last year i scratched one of my rims and decided to replace it with a factory original. $500 for just one rim. I could get a decent set of aftermarket ones for slightly more. and that is all four, not just one.

Chevrolet does this, i think, to make a ton of cash when a vehicle is wrecked and the owner opts to repair the vehicle. Greedy, real greedy. Is the LS Sport package priced about $3000 over the price of a LS brand new?

• Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Has anybody replaced the "U" bend? If so where:
    Did you did get the part from?
    How much did it cost?
    Who did the replacing?
    How much did it cost?
    How does the car respond now?
    Any problems?

Same questions for opening up the Air Filter Box.
  • Options
    tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    Go to www.impala hq.com. In the how to section info on air box mod.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Has anyone done the front grille conversion of their Impala with the new black 04 SS Indy grille thats available.......I want to replace my standard issue grey one with this.
  • Options
    Got my cluster back with the white gauges. Looks really good. I ordered part 10324187 the Instrument Cluster Panel that has the carbon fiber on it. It was 68.92 from partszoneonline

Now somewhow I have managed to lose my Trac-Off Button/Switch, so I'm trying to figure out what the part number for that is.
  • Options
    I though i would do something cheap and go get some sylvania silverstars for my vehicle. I bought the Hi-beams, Low Beams and Fog Lamps. All was well until a week later when i noticed one of the foglamps went out... I replaced it and went on with my week. Next week the other one went out. I replaced it and went on with my week. Now a week later, only three weeks from originally buying them, the first one, which i already replaced, will need to be replaced AGAIN.

On the good side though i have had no troubles with the hi-beams or low beams.

I plan to contact Sylvania about this. I just wanted you guys to know the foglamps, up to this point, have been nothing but trouble for me. And at $20 a bulb they are not cheap to replace. Thank god i know everyone at the local Advanced Auto Parts and they exchanged them for me at no cost.

The part number is 893 and NOT 896. 896 is for models newer than the 2001 i think. The dealer i go to sold me an 896 OEM replacement and the socket is all wrong.
  • Options
    I had the same experience as you with the fog lamps burning out all the time. I tried several different brands and they had very little life.

I switched to 885's which is the same shape as the 893 except it is 55w instead of 37.5

I have not had any problems at all since then but I'm not sure if its because of the change in bulb or if its just the brand I bought this time.

I've got my dash put back together, so now I have the nice cluster and a LS Sport Dashboard and the car looks wierd because the doors still have the fake wood yet the front has the cabon fiber. I am going to try some shops in town and see if there is anything I can have done with those sections to make it look better. Maybe just paint them gloss black.

talk to you later
    gw
  • Options
    i did contact Sylvania and they said that they got a bad batch. I have to send them a copy of my receipt or the proof of purchase. Then they will send me two back... I'll try this but if it doesn't work i will go up to the 885's like you did. I had no problem with them when i had the OEM's in there, one did burn out but i think it was from age.

As for the carbon fiber thing. I went to a few decal shops around my small town and none of them had any carbon fiber vinyl. What they did have was a gloss black vinyl. I wonder if they would be willing to cover my wood trim with it... I would imagine it would stretch to get around the corners.

see ya
  • Options
    etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Just picked up the Silverstar low beams and the 885 foglamp bulbs.

Any tricks or potential 'gotchas' in replacing the foglamps?
  • Options
    no real tricks, just one screw and then pull the assembly out. Make sure you DO NOT touch the bulb. other than that just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn out on ya. The problem i had with them burning out was with the 883's anyways.

I think the silverstars look great on the Impala.

• Options
    etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Replaced all my bulbs yesterday in anticipation of bad weather this week in SE. PA.

HOwever, found one of the foglamp housings was shattered, had to duct tape it back into place. Any one know a good place to order used GM parts on-line?
  • Options
    Etcarroll, try www.gmpartsdirect.com. They are cheap too compared to going straight to a dealer.

The only problem with gmpartsdirect.com is you need the part number.If You don't have it, try calling your dealer, you should be able get it from your dealer without buying the part.

Or just go to Impalahq.com and check out the Accessories section. Very imformative page.

• Options
    nycscubadivernycscubadiver Member Posts: 6
    first i want to say thank you to everyone for posting information abotu this awesome car. i have a 2000 ls and woudl like to do some modifications. living in nyc makes doing your own work difficult and the dealerships here charge over $100 an hour. can anyone recommend a good garage/shop that KNOWS the impala. some mods i'd like to make include the cat back dual exhaust and the instrument cluster change (to a monte's)
  • Options
    all you need to do the cluster is the new cluster and a 7mm socket, a 6" extension is nice too. i would do it yourself though. It took me 30 minutes to remove the old one, install the new one and test it to see if it worked properly, then remove the new one (to be sent off for mileage adjustment) and install the old one and redo the dash. and that was by myself on a day when it was about 20* outside. if you want more info say the word and i can get some pics of mine and how i did it. i gotta remove it soon and reset the voltage meter anyways. One other thing, read some of the older messages for the part number. the KPH one is nice, but unless you plan on putting the whiteface plates on it it can be a pain.

The cat-back exhaust i hear is bolt in. another thing you may consider doing yourself. but if you cannot, just buy the parts and have a shop do it. make sure you trust them and they should have it installed in under an hour. i would imagine that wouldn't be too costly.

• Options
    cornstalkercornstalker Member Posts: 6
    Hi ya'all. Forgive the new guy to the forum! :)

I'm pulling out parts of the underside of my dash to run cables and what not for a console I'm putting in. I'm mounting various communications radios, VHF/UHF/HAM/etc, but have a quick question.

The driver's side panel under the dash comes out real easy. However, when I go to unclip the passenger side, there is a 'screw' towards the back left. How does this screw come out? It's plastic. I don't want to break it! :)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    n2thevoid, yes any pics shwoign the removal of old cluster & installation of the MC one would be greatly appreciated. Curious as to why you need to reset the voltage meter. I saw the white face gauge covers on pfyc and might go for them. another company (speedhut) makes covers too but not sure of the quality.
    i have a year left on my (exteded) warranty so i might just wait till it runs out to do this mod, but having the info now never hurts.
    thanks for the help
  • Options
    my 2000 LS ties and i are having the same problem... going bald. so i'll be in the market for a new set of tires this summer. any recommnedations? i have an entire set of winter wheels, so im not concerned with snow traction. we get a decent about of rain in nyc, so wet traction is important. whats the maximum width people recommend also so that im not rubbing the wheel wells, etc.
    thanks
  • Options
    I think the panel screw you are talking about, cornstalker, is just a press in plug, it's a kitty to get it out so be gentle. I got mine out and it didn't break. you just gotta pry it out. start it out with a screwdriver. then fingernails and attitude after that.

As far as the volt meter goes, i was looking at some pics of the before and after and noticed the after (which i haven't changed yet) is about one tick off of the before pic. Looks like it is going to be a nice one this weekend in WI so i will try to get under there and change that and get some pics for you NYscuba.

As for the gauges at speed hut. as far as i know it is an overlay and not a OEM replacement like the ones at PFYC.com. Now overlays can be nice but at the same time they may interfere with the movement of the needles. The Face plates at PFYC.com are replacements. You have to remove the whole original faceplate. but it's worth it.

Oh, as far as tires go, go back a few pages, there is a string of messages about them. biggest you can go and suggestions as to which brand to buy.

FYI, i had my local dealer look up some part numbers for me (they are so patient with me, i'm such a pain to them). The indy grille is only $130 black p/n 10341973 and i think the same for the primer one. And there is a Major difference in price between SS parts and LS Sport parts. no idea why, they should be about the same. Greedy, real greedy.

• Options
    hey N2, thanks for all that info. I picked up a used 2001 monte ss instrument cluster and im hoping it'll work in my 2000 impala ls. i think i'll take your advice and go with the pfyc white face plate.
    QUESTION: is there anyone specific to deal with.contact at specmo for this stuff? i'd want them to adjust the mileage AND install the new face plate. anyone with this info, please post. thank you much.
    i painted my grille to match the car the other day. i left the blue in the bow tie and a little bit of a chrome outline. it was very easy to remove the grille. i'll post a pic if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    Has anyone here installed the SoundOffInc Wig-wag module on a civilian model Impala?

If you have, can you drop me a email? emt20@earthlink.net.

Thanks!
  • Options
    justin1justin1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 impala, and I want to lower it just like the police impala's. The hight is just right and looks much better then my factory hight. I just don't know what I have to do, or were to get parts to do it. Is there an easy way to do it?
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    search under eibach.com. They will tell you everything you need to know....

Good luck!
  • Options
    anyone know what # or email address to use when contacting specmo to have the cluster mileage changed and to have the pfyc white face panels put on. thanks
  • Options
    message to ghostwolf or n2thevoid,
    i called specmo today and they quoted me at $172.00 plus shipping to do the same cluster mileage adjustment and to have the pfyc white face gauge overlays installed.
    who did you guys deal with over there and do you have a receipt or any invoice that i coudl show them?
    let me know
    thanks
  • Options
    scuba, are they (specmo) buying the faces for you?

I paid $100 for the mileage adjustment through my local Chevy Dealer. The faces i paid $120 for and the installation cost me an afternoon of my time. And it was worth every penny.

Considering they Re-calibrate the gauges after they install the whitefaces, i think $175 sounds reasonable.

• Options
    kaosjkaosj Member Posts: 2
    I just installed a set of glo gauges in my 2000 Impala. Can anyone tell me where to tie in the glo gauge red wire? Specifically an existing wire's color and location? Thanks.
  • Options
    kaosjkaosj Member Posts: 2
    I will answer my own questionfor anyone else who gets into the same situation. I had brought the red wire out to the dash drivers side fuse box. I found a fuse that controlled when the dash and lights shut off after the 30 second timer - it was the 10A CLSTR/BCM fuse. I wired to it and all worked well. However I found that when I turned the dash lights up and down with the light switch, my indiglo lights also went up and down. What I have read indicates this is bad for the indiglo overlay so I found another fuse, the 10A cig/aux fuse. I inserted my red wire into the cold side of the fuse and all works well. The indiglo red wire has an in-line fuse that I left in place for added protection.

I've done this all with a second dash that I need to boost the mileage up on. I found some posts that say I can boost my mileage by placing a 1khz sine wave on the PCM line into the cluster. Can anyone tell me what the wire definitions are into my instrument cluster? Thanks.
  • Options
    impalamdimpalamd Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen a functional ram air hood for a 2001 impala. All i can find are those fake hood scoops. Ive seen one for the monte carlo but nothing for the impala... i have been to impala hq and looked through all their pages but i could have missed something. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    How do you remove the ash tray from under the dash? (Bench seat model).

Thanks
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've put a receiver hitch and wiring on my 2000 Impala, with the notion of occasionally renting a small U-Haul trailer to haul odd stuff from Home Depot (or to rent a pressure washer or tiller or what-have-you). While getting the wiring done at U-Haul, they tried to sell me a transmission cooler. I declined it, since I'll rarely do any hauling for any distance; but having grown up in a rural area where the pickup truck was the primary means of transportation, we ALWAYS had the transmission cooler put on the trucks, and as far as I know we NEVER had any type of transmissio problem.

Just wondering if adding such a cooler to the Impala would be beneficial enough in regular driving to warrant the purchase?
  • Options
    niagaraniagara Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know if the plastic parts of the rear tail light assembly from any of the model years 2000 -2004 are fully interchangable? I want to paint out the centre section, but would prefer to do it on a unit from the wreckers so that I could always return the original unit on the car. It's probably a good idea to get all the red lenses, - just in case. And, where can I get really good matching colour paint to do this?

"look good, feel good, do good!"
  • Options
    02impalals02impalals Member Posts: 19
    regarding the tail light assy. from the GM manuals, it should be unless you had some custom work done or the wrecker had the work.

about the paint. check the PRO paint code in your trunk and check the www for any paint mfg/suppliers in your area. there are some in the lower 48, but you may want to find someone local. ive got some touchup paint from paintscratch and automotivetouchup for my dark bronzemist impala and it matches real great. the paintscratch paint had larger metalflake particles to match the original. they also sell spray paint too.

fyi...there is another site that has alot of mods to the impala where someone actually painted the taillight assy. the only problem, if memory serves, was that the paint flaked off after a while. i dont know what color you imp is, but there is a link on the site that has vynal decals that supposely looks great, but the colors are limited to white, black, and i think blue. the only issue with the decals is that the corner ones take some trial and error to form around the corners.
  • Options
    tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    Need to go to www.impala hq .com In the how to section tells you how to paint them.
  • Options
    A local parts yard has a 2004 centre lens for the Impala at $150 CDN. I'll pick it up soon and do the paint thing on it. I've ordered a spray can of the paint code and will also use the acrylic primer to set it up first.
      I've been trying to source some black steel wheels for the snow tires. The OEM are really expensive, about $100 each, - and the parts yards say that they are really very rare items. CTC say that they can supply an OE but that it does not in any way take any wheel covers, but they're a about $50 each ... much better. Now it'll real look like a cop car, - especially with that big CB antenna on the trunk.
  • Options
    mkulinamkulina Member Posts: 8
    If you are interested in adding more police like accessories, I have a set of blue lights (the strobe unit was removed, there are just the lights) and a underhood speaker from 2000 Impala. They are just sitting on the workbench. But be aware, for shipping purposes, the speaker is extremely heavy.

Regards,
    Mike
  • Options
    ...thanks, Mike ... but not really. Would be kool though. Now I'm looking for those centre pieces used on the black steel wheels.

I just finished taking all the wheels off and then the wheel well liners and soaking all the bushings with silcone. It helps keep things from drying out in the harsh winter and it does make things quieter and smoother. While I had everything open I sprayed undercoating on all the surfaces ... what a nice difference for a quiet ride. Next is some Sylvannia bright lights.. etc, etc ... always something to play with, eh? The painted splash guards turned out really great too.
  • Options
    jkohanjkohan Member Posts: 9
    What type of undercoating did you use? Can you buy it at an automotive store? Is it easy to take the wheel well liners off? I'm trying to get a quieter ride too.
  • Options
    The undercoating spray I used is just the generic type available at any auto store. It's esay to use; - a little smelly and messy so don't wear your good white shirt and do wear mask and gloves. I brushed/wiped everything just to minimize the dusty dirt and then sprayed a few layers on. The undercoating layer provides a different "harmonic" to the NHV factor and makes the noise level inside the car a litte quieter.

I am also working on applying a new rubber seal around the doors to supplement the seals already there. I'm using the foam tape and experimenting. Let's see what happens .....

The fender liners are easy to get out ... just look for the fasteners and keep your eyes open as to reinstalling...

"look good, feel good, do good !!"
  • Options
    palakid36palakid36 Member Posts: 2
    What is the best cold air intake for my new LS???
  • Options
    palakid36palakid36 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Impala as well and i cant find gauges for it anywhere. where did you get yours from??
  • Options
    base02impalabase02impala Member Posts: 3
    I was wondering after reading your message if you figured out how to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket one. I went to a shop and they said it could not be done. I want to add a 4channel amp and a class d amp to my factory system. I have already changed my speakers to all pioneer. PLEASE email me @ M_ALLEN481@hotmail.com
This discussion has been closed.