Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    andrew17andrew17 Member Posts: 26
    Dear Bullethead! -I hope you read it before you start the job:
    PLEASE, don't do it by yourself - unless you know what to do and the sequence to start/ re-assemble all of it. Trust me: I did it on my old "coffee grinder" - I should have taken it directly to a dealer and let them do the job (they have the right seals, and assembly manual).

Small mechanic shops aren't too much better either because they have never disassembled it (they know most of the popular vehicles only). Toyota uses metric system/ spare parts/ tools. My problem was a dried out seal and a deformed sliding route - it impacted the whole mechanism.

Remember: it is cheaper if you let the pros do it!

Good luck - enjoy your LC! (It is worth it.) =Andrew17
  • Options
    jeffs5jeffs5 Member Posts: 5
    I might add that the rattling sun roof probably needs to be tighten from underneath the head liner. I had a Sequoia like this and the dealer dropped the liner to tighten and then resealed. Never a noisy run roof again. Hope this helps. jeffs5
  • Options
    bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    My 00' TLC's catalytic converter is broken at 86K miles. I heard some vehicles have 100K miles warranty on the exhaust system. Anyone knows if what kind of warranty TLC has on it? Any information will be highly appreciated.
  • Options
    steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    Believe it's 50K, not 100K. Is it the converter, or an 02 sensor?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've seen 8 years/80,000 miles for major emission control components for all cars made after 1995 (EPA)

Major components include the cat, ECU and onboard emissions diagnostic device.
  • Options
    bill_lbill_l Member Posts: 38
    Sorry, got it checked. The converter is OK, though I thought not, the resonator (or someone called center pipe or "muffler"), the big something before the tail_pipe and the rear axle, was broken, and it not covered by warranty which is 8yr/80K miles for major emission components told by dealors.
  • Options
    vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    The successor to the LX470 was announced at the NY Auto show. It is detailed in this link and on the Lexus site. It will be most interesting to see how many of these features are carried over to the TLC design.

http://autoreview.belproject.com/item/367
  • Options
    ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW?????????

will the design be the same for the new land cruiser be same as the new LX 570???????

AND WHEN IS THE NEW LAND CRU......... COMING...........
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    The pictures can be seen on www.autoblog.com. Overall shape is very similar to the LX570, but the front and rear are quite different.

http://news.auto.cz/spy/spy-photos-toyota-land-cruiser-200-se-predstavi-jiz-na-p- odzim.html
  • Options
    Please write a review if you are driving an '07 TLC. The review link is above where it says "Consumer Rating 3.8 1 Reviews." Click on Rate It.

Thanks!
  • Options
    pkh540pkh540 Member Posts: 24
    Hello. Wondering if anyone out there has replaced their accessroy belt tensioner assembly or simply the accessory belt tensioner pulley. Sounds like the bearing has failed on mine and while a belt lubricant spray has helped for the interim I need to fix this. Couple of questions (2000 TLC with 65,000 miles):

I beleive it is just the pulley bearing itself that has failed but should I replace the entire assembly while I am at it?

Is it very difficult? (It looks pretty simple to get to and such but once you starting turning bolts it can quickly spiral into something else!)

Any tips and tricks? Will replace the accessory belt at the same time - is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it?

Also thinking of replacing the spark plugs (mileage as expected sucks and perhaps this may help a bit).

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
  • Options
    ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    Thanks... Since a few months a read posts here in this site... i read the reviews whenever i can here... But i did find 1 trouble after reading all the reviews here ... once u read reviews in this site i think it get harder and harder to choose a car..

Some say Ls460 is good some say the brakes r not good..

Some say bmw are good then u read a review porsche is better

then another review cayenne doesn't have good reliability

Can any 1 tell which is the best all round large sedan and mid size sedan

And which is the best suv???
  • Options
    pjc1pjc1 Member Posts: 72
    The best SUV? Great question with several answers I suspect. The best one is the one you enjoy getting into everyday and driving. If it meets your needs and you love driving it then it is the best.

All vehicles have their pros and cons...no such thing as perfection....My Touareg was fast, agile and impeccable interior fit and finish... but reliability was horrible....My land Cruiser on the other hand is wonderfully reliable but a bore to drive, doggish, handles like a bus and the interior is cheap.

In the final analysis I opted for reliability....

Depends on what is most important to you in a vehicle....
  • Options
    nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "My Touareg was fast, agile and impeccable interior fit and finish... but reliability was horrible"

That is an apt description of my previous car, a 2000 VW GTI GLX.

"My land Cruiser on the other hand is wonderfully reliable but a bore to drive, doggish, handles like a bus and the interior is cheap."

And that is a fair description of my current 2003 4Runner. I've got about 60,000 miles on it. I've recently had all four brake rotors and pads replaced. The rear hatch cover developed a rattle and I chose not to replace it (stupidly expensive).

In contrast, in the 40,000 miles I put on the GTI, I had the following replaced: 1) rear struts and strut top mounts replaced twice (and they needed it again when I sold the car), 2) rear brakes, 3) AC compressor, 4) thermostat, 5) MAF sensor, 5) turn-signal stalk, 6) starter motor, 7) spark plug wires, 8) coil pack. They never did solve the 2nd-gear grind. And I'm sure that there's more that I can't remember at the moment.
  • Options
    seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    Have a 2000 LC, don't find it to be a bore whatsoever. After 80,000 miles it seems to finally be broken in, running better than ever. The engine is smooth as silk and I'm very confident that I have a good two hundred thousand miles left on this car without major problems. Of course it all depends on what you're looking for, but for road trips and the like this is the perfect vehicle. If you want excitement, get a Porsche.
  • Options
    grasergraser Member Posts: 6
    Hi - we're looking to get an '07 TLC in Dec/Jan but neighbor said LX470 suspension better than TLC in terms of highway driving in case we had a high speed evasive manuever. Is this fear unfounded? Wife likes the "Land Bruiser" better than the LX but the suspension comment now has her all freaked out. Appreciate the input. I told her if this was a problem with the TLC sure it would have been addressed/corrected.
  • Options
    You can get the exact suspension package that is standard in the LX in the Landcruiser. However the fully optioned landcruiser is priced almost the same as the LX470 and for a few hundred dollars more you get a few more nice options in the LX.
  • Options
    Go with the LX. I looked at both and decided on the TLC primarily because the Toyota service dept was more conveniently located...in retrospect I should have purchased the LX. Mechanically and visually they seem quite the same but the LX has a much nicer interior, better stock tires (provide for better handling), quieter inside and a much better Levinson sound system. The TLC is nice but primarily utilitarian in comparison. The one upside is that i dont mind getting the TLC dirty...the LX is just to pretty inside to get dirty.

Regarding the handling, I am not a Toyota or Lexus technician so I do not know the engineeing of the LX versus TLC but when I drove both of these vehicles the LX suspension and handling felt much more precise and had significantly less body roll. I dialed in the adjustable suspension on both to the same setting and noticed the LX handled better. Maybe the tires had something to do with it?
  • Options
    Thanks - I will have to see what discounting Toyota does for the LX and TLC and go from there. We keep our cars for many years, so maybe we'll even look around for an 06 LX and save the depreciation hit (somewhat).
  • Options
    Thx, but I thought the LX is about $10k more than the TLC ballpark apples to apples. $55kish vs 65kish.
  • Options
    luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Hi graser
    I have owned both a 2003 TLC and my present vehicle a 2006 LX470. I sold the TLC and got the LX470 personally I feel I did the right thing.
    Riding is night and day , so is the interior comfort and of course my wife loves the fact that the LX has High Adjustment 2 inches up or down for easy entry. A big plus is the pampering you would get at the Lexus dealer in comparison with Toyota.
    When I need service for the LX I call the dealer ahead and ask for a loaner at no charge.
    Or I can wait at their very comfortable waiting room with food and drinks and large plasma tv. Recently I had the 15000 miles service I drop the LX and came home in a new RX350 , next day the LX was clean inside and outside. I love to be pampered
    I am planning to get at the end of the year the LX570 , I need to save lots and lots of quarters . I will try to sell it myself but the best way and lazy way is to trade-in.
    My advise is get an LX470 or wait for the new LX570.
    I am a kind of driver that enjoy driving fast mostly on the interstate , but I am always courteous and don't like cutting off anyone , evasive maneuver on the TLC or LX are a piece of cake both have great stopping power and good acceleration. My MPG is 16 thru 18 city and up to 20.2 on the highway, premium gas.
    You can E-mail me if you want.
    Hope this can help you.
    Lou
  • Options
    I just read the above consumer rating I can honestly say BALONEY .
    Both the TLC and LX are a perfect 10 .
    If you want a fast car get a Lambo , good mileage get the Prius , but if you want a good return for your money get the LC or LX, interior seating is very comfortable, very high on the safety pole. If I am in a car wreck , please let me be inside this tank.
    Lou
  • Options
    Not really. It is hard to find a Landcruiser without any option. So once you add the nav package, and suspension package, it brings the price to closer to about 60K. I have seen LX dealer offer at about the same price with discounts.
  • Options
    Agreed that it is not a 3.8 but I would not call the TLC a 10....I am not sure a 10 exists...but if it did Toyota would not be building it...that is not their forte...they build reliability with mediocre performance, handling and style...

Now take the performance and styling of say a Cayenne and the other attributes of the TLC and now you'd probably have a 10....
  • Options
    Hi pjc1
    I partially agree with you , but if I wanted the LC to drive like a Porsche I would have bought one instead. Briefly I had my butt in the front cushion of the Cayenne , but for me was not comfortable which is very first thing I look for before buying a vehicle.
    The use of the word mediocre to described a Toyota product is incorrect.
    This company built products that the majority of americans rush to dealership to buy.
    Performance on any vehicles applies to the person who is behind the steering wheel.
    Sorry , I need go I will be back on line latter.
    Lou
  • Options
    I already have a 911 for handling, now I'm just curious if the LX is worth the ballpark $10k extra since want to the best car for the fam. It appears the improved interior and quieter ride is a plus, albeit less power compared to the TLC.
  • Options
    Hi graser
    I would love to have a 911 , but I need the space of a SUV.
    The new TLC should be the 2009 and probably will be 10K less than the LX570.
    The LX570 will not be for sale till early next year, until then I can only imagine how will it drive.
  • Options
    Lou:

Perhaps my comment on mediocre came across as somewhat negative...I was trying to compare Toyota performance and styling to the higher end product like Lexus and Porsche. In my humble opinion, Toyota performance and styling is middle of the road when comparing to those brands.

Depending on your perspective (that is if you choose to spend up to $100K on a vehicle) Toyota is not the top pick just mediocre.
  • Options
    Hi pjc1

I do agree with your opinion.
    Spending 100K on any Toyota vehicle would be crazy, at that price I would look into German automobiles .
    I have my sight on the new SUV from Lexus the LX570.
    For me comfort is paramount in the purchase of a vehicle specially the front seat comfort.
    Lou
  • Options
    Good choice. I am looking forward to the redesign of the TLC and the new LX....amybe I'll trade my TLC in for one of those....
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to seeing what the new LC is like as well. I'm lucky enough to have an '06 Carrera S to go along with my LC. To me thery're both at the top of their respective catagories.

But, no matter what, I'm always going to have at least one LC at all times. Be it a classic FJ40 (should've never sold mine) or a newer version. I think that the coming generation may be just a bit too glitzy for me, and perhaps I'll get back in to one of the live axle LCs. The LXs are pretty plush, but the new 570 looks a little too Nissan Armada, crossed with a Rav 4 and Highlander to me. I may just need to get used to it.
  • Options
    I wonder if the new TLC will have different tailights than the 2008 LX570.
    The LX570 does resemble the RAV4.
    Toyota is tight lip as usual.
    Lou
  • Options
    Lou-

Probably minor differences just as there are now. As I said, my first impression on the new LX is it's not too appealing. But, over time, I think I'll get used to it. Wonder how long it will take to get the hybrids in to the LX and LC?
  • Options
    Hi steelcruiser
    The way the gas prices have skyrocketed in the last couple weeks, I sure hope that the auto industry take a good and long look for any alternative kind of fuel.
    Toyota needs to introduce in the US diesel vehicles and even better hybrids LC's and LX's
    Lou
  • Options
    Lou-I was told by a long time service manager at one of my local Toy dealerships that Toy will have hybrids across the model line in MY '08. We'll see soon enough I suppose.
  • Options
    That would be awesome .
    We'll see.
    Thanks.
    Lou
  • Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    I have tried to use the EDMUNDS website to value my 1991 Landcruiser ....but at the START of the process the used car "questionaire" asks for a 5 digit zipcode - but when ANY 5 digit zipcode is imput there is an ERROR MESSAGE "please enter valid zipcode". So its impossible to progress beyond that point

It is very annoying and I have had to use a competing website for valuations. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:

For taxation purposes my theiving town is valuing a 1991 Fj80 at $5,750.......how credible is that?
  • Options
    Same result with this link?

Used Car Appraiser

It's working for me (tried it in Firefox just now). Sometimes clearing your cache clears up issues like this; otherwise please click on the Help link at the Appraiser site and use the Contact Us form to report it.

The range of numbers I get are $1,825 trade-in, $2,613 private party sale and $3,927 dealer retail (before I put in miles or options, etc).
  • Options
    That link worked...but this link still doesnt work!:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/index.html

I would be interested in fedback on what the problem might be.......

In terms of valuation the State of Connecticut uses values from the NADA - values which are not available to the general public! We supposedly live in a democracy; however if you go tp the NADA website NADA are lobbying to block legislation which will improve gas mileage on vehicles and thus in effect the government is paying fees to an outfit which is AGAINST government legislation and thus agaisnt the public good!

Thanks...

http://www.nada.org/Advocacy+Outreach/LegislativeAffairs/CAFE/Senate+Votes+on+H.R.+6+Imminent+Urge+Senators+to+Support+the+Pryor-Bond+Compromise.htm
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I can't get it to work either. I'll pass that info along so we can get it fixed!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • Options
    I was able to break the "Select A Make" box for a minute by putting a zip code in first. Then it wouldn't let me select a make until I refreshed the page. Otherwise it's ok for me (used IE 7.0 this time). Curious.

What I've read about NADA is that NADA values vehicles high because most of their customers are banks. The theory is that banks want cars valued high so they can justify bigger loans on them. I don't know how accurate this theory is, but I've posted this comment several times on CarSpace over the years and no one has cited anything different to me (that I've chosen to commit to memory anyway, LOL).

This may be of interest too:

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price

You can get more estimates from Graves (if they are at dealers in your area), and from the want ads.

Oh, and you may as well as for a value over in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion too.
  • Options
    Hi - gor one with 15k (dealer demo) and love it, but for some reason when I unlock the doors the rear sometimes is unlocked and other times it takes a few tries. Am I doing something wrong? And the DVD can only be operated by the remote control? Kind of tough when driving but guess can put on before moving out. And dealer said oli changes only when main light comes on, but is that ok or should I be more conservative? Appreciate the input. Matt
  • Options
    My rear passenger door has done that since new - 1991! Same deal when locking - I have to check to make SURE its locked....as it takes a few goes to do so usually. Obviously a quirk.

And wating for the oil light before a change - whoowh!
  • Options
    Toyota Land Cruiser caught shooting a commercial

Please talk about the new model over in the 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser discussion.
  • Options
    drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
  • Options
    zaxizaxi Member Posts: 5
    Maybe anybody had this problem:
    I own TLC-2000 and in the last 6 months my ABS are acting up.
    When I stop in a red light or stop sign and start slowly driving the ABS breaks are starting to work and I can't move. It doesn't happened everyday but it happened at least couple times a week.
    The Toyota dealer manager on Rt. 9 in NJ suck, and he told me the computer can't tell him what is the problem, I need to leave the car for few days and they will figure it.
    Anybody had this problem? Idea? Pump? sensor?
    Thank you for your suggestion?
  • Options
    jake49jake49 Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 98
    tlc. I am looking to keep it cool but make it my own. May have the local muffler shop cut and weld the stock exhaust. Dump the cat etc. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Dr Fill, wow. The posters on the jalopnik web site didn't pull any punches about the new TLC and who now buys them. They are right though. The only people who buy these things new are people who hate cars but "trust" Toyota (or hate GM) and who have enough initials after their name to have enough dough. They might as well weld the hood shut: these folks are not going to ever be under the hood.

We're looking for a vehicle to leave out on Block Island. The catch is that it has to hold up well in the salt air, run on the rainwater we get for gas, and start at 8PM on a Friday night in December after it has sat for a couple of weeks while we were away. What years TLC should I look for? Or should I just get a used Tundra and forget about it?
  • Options
    laveencatlaveencat Member Posts: 3
    have an opportunity to purchase. I know the owner and it's never been off road. He stores it in Lake Tahoe and uses it when he's out there. The only thing I'm worried about is that he towed his boat a few times. Anything I should be looking for in that regard?
  • Options
    zaxizaxi Member Posts: 5
    Maybe anybody had this problem:
    I own TLC-2000 and in the last 6 months my ABS are acting up.
    When I stop in a red light or stop sign and start slowly driving the ABS breaks are starting to work and I can't move. It doesn't happened everyday but it happened at least couple times a week.
    The Toyota dealer manager on Rt. 9 in NJ suck, and he told me the computer can't tell him what is the problem, I need to leave the car for few days and they will figure it.
    Anybody had this problem? Idea? Pump? sensor?
    Thank you for your suggestion?