Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Azera Air Filter Benefits?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    And just to prove my point to myself only, I am expecting an oil analysis result back from
    Blackstone Laboratories momentarily. These results, among many other things, will tell
    me whether or not my air filter system is functioning as it was designed to do.

So you are going to spend money to have your oil analyzed after waiting 7 years to replace your air filter element? I'm reasonabally sure that the results will show that nothing was getting through that air filter. I'm sure it would be cheaper to have changed the air filter element than have your oil analyzed in an attempt to prove some kind of point.

This entire discussion is getting beyond bizarre.
  • Options
    Battery failure does not bother me.
    AAA plus my handy dandy Sears charger will take care of any battery problems I might encounter.
    If it ain't broke, why change it?

A battery charger will not take care of a failed battery. If it completely fails it will not take a charge.

Peace!, I hope that battery doesn't fail in the middle of nowhere. It would be hard to find a place to plug that battery charger in.
  • Options
    Make mine vanilla with hot fudge sauce. My blood pressure is good!
  • Options
    derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    "The crazy thing about my past car, an Infinity Q45, was that when the battery started to go the computer caused everything in the car to work improperly. One headlight would work while the other would not.
    The engine sensors would have the engine run rough, etc.
    The simple act of changing the battery would correct all of the problems even though the battery test came out OK."

I would guess that the computer was not always seeing the proper voltage even though the car was running.
    Was the alternator ever checked for being able to maintain a constant voltage output?
    Also, where was the battery located? Was it under the back seat ala MBZ?

What a beautiful car the Q45 is. I never could figure out why they were not more popular than they were.
    Instead, the nod seemed to go to the LS 400. Why? I don't know. IMHO, it should have been the other way around!

Do you prefer the Azera to the Q car?

:)
  • Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 57
    The Q45 was the best car that I ever owned. I just didn't want to spend the money required to buy a new one.
    The battery was located under the hood, in the same location as that in the Azera.
    I did have the alternator checked, and it appeared to be OK.
    After changing a battery, the car would be fine for a couple of years. Apparently the voltage needed was very critical,and any power drop, even by a slight short would cause these strange things to happen.
    The Q was retired after 165,000 happy miles.
    The fuel consumption was very similar to that of the Azera.
    I never could figure out why the model never sold.
    When I purchased it new, I also looked at the LS400.
    The Q is much more of a performance car with a completely different feel than the Lexus.
  • Options
    "So you are going to spend money to have your oil analyzed after waiting 7 years to replace your air filter element?
    I'm reasonabally sure that the results will show that nothing was getting through that air filter.
    I'm sure it would be cheaper to have changed the air filter element than
    have your oil analyzed in an attempt to prove some kind of point."

By nothing, I assume that you mean "nothing but good clean filtered air?" Yes, that is now a proven.

I spent the money for an oil analysis just as I do every time I have the oil changed and it is not very expensive.
    Many consider an oil analysis like a blood test for the engine.

Got the results back yesterday, and everything is A-Okay just as it always is.
    Blackstone suggested that I could go even longer on my oil drain intervals.
    For just a little more money that is wasted needlessly changing air filters so often, a person is able to know
    the exact conditions
    of everything going on inside their engine, and not just the condition of the air filter.

"This entire discussion is getting beyond bizarre."

Maybe to some, but there just might be others here who are reading this forum that are interested in what is being said.

"A battery charger will not take care of a failed battery. If it completely fails it will not take a charge."

"Completely" being the key word here. That is true, but unless the battery has a full dead short, any vehicle
    may be jumpered and started and then driven to a repair shop and the problem(s) determined and corrected.

In 60 years of messing with all kinds of vehicles, I've never had a battery go so completely full short dead that
    the vehicle couldn't at least be jumpered so that the vehicle could be started and driven to a repair facility.
    Any good home battery charger most certainly will start any vehicle when it is home in the garage.
    I've done so many times when I haven't driven mine for very long periods of time. AAA is used when away from home.
    That is one of the reasons I cannot believe that the original Ford battery has lasted this long.

"Peace!, I hope that battery doesn't fail in the middle of nowhere. It would be hard to find a place to plug that battery charger in."

So do I.

• Options
    In 60 years of messing with all kinds of vehicles, I've never had a battery go so completely full short dead that
    the vehicle couldn't at least be jumpered so that the vehicle could be started and driven to a repair facility.
    Any good home battery charger most certainly will start any vehicle when it is home in the garage.

For the benefit of those who are reading this and have not encountered a battery failing completely and suddenly, I have had it happen four times without warning. You have been lucky if you've never encountered this happening. The batteries failed without warning and either would not take a jump start at all, or could be jump started but no longer had enough voltage to keep the engine running and the alternator could not charge them.

The ridiculous part of this thread is the issue of preference in air filters. It's a matter of choice. A good friend has a 1989 Toyota four wheel drive pickup that has been running a K&N air filter for 18 years and it's still running strong. I wonder how much he has saved on air filters.
  • Options
    Keeping this topic alive . .

'Thank you' very much.

Signed,

Misters Johnson and McDonald

BTW, their place of business is right here in this county.

• Options
    floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 59
    Oil Analysis is great, but performing it at every oil change on a car's oil seems like over kill. I had a boat, with 2 large diesel engines that ran at about 95% of top end, putting a lot of stress on the engines. I performed oil analysis to determine how much of the engines metals were being destroyed. In a car that is running at a much lower percentage of top end, it hardly seems necessary to do so much costly testing. Secondly, the cars power plant is under a long time warranty.
  • Options
    "Oil Analysis is great, but performing it at every oil change on a car's oil seems like over kill."

It's not for me. There is no warranty issue on my older Ford. I simply want to know what is going on inside Old Faithfuls' motor.

I'm running the oil drain intervals longer and longer each time, and were I to state how
    long I am going, it would open up a fresh can of worms if you catch my drift? ;)

Should you or anyone else be interested, please email me for the details.

HTHs

This discussion has been closed.