Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No, she won't be able to do that.

If she is currently a Florida resident and she can prove that then she may be able to not pay CA tax. Right now, she lives in CA and there is no way around this.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Unfortunately, there you have it from one that does this stuff every day. IF there is really no way to achieve the original goal, I would wait till one is domiciled in the new location.
  • Options
    Oh man!

As a former So. Californian I can't believe how they are taxing people! A 9.75% sales tax AND a state income tax!

And they are still broke!

Don't get me going on the reasons why this has happened!
  • Options
    The state income tax is 9%.

The county with the (aggregate) 9.75% state sales tax is Alameda.

CA is so called BROKE, and getting broker (sic) by the 5 mins !!! :lemon:
  • Options
    So, what is Contra Costa Co. sales tax rate?

I'm afraid CA is doomed. At this point, the damage is irreversable. Sp sad.
  • Options
    redredrabbitredredrabbit Member Posts: 44
    Maybe I wasn't very clear.

June: Dealer offers $x for Honda.

July: Manufacturer to dealer incentive has increased by $250. Dealer should be offering $x - $250. If dealer is not, then redredrabbit knows he has more room to haggle.

Logical.
  • Options
    swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    I believe the current sales tax rate for Contra Costa County is 9.25%. California State sales taxes increased by 1% a few months ago, putting most of the counties in the SF Bay Area over 9%. :cry:
  • Options
    scusyxxscusyxx Member Posts: 16
    I bought from Sport Honda in MD. Total cost all included is $16.450.
    Loved my new car :)
  • Options
    cstewart27cstewart27 Member Posts: 23
    Can your provide the breakdown ? MSRP, Invoice, Rebate, etc
  • Options
    jerseyjerseyjerseyjersey Member Posts: 3
    Hey all,

Great experience today at DCH Academy Honda in Old Bridge, NJ.
    Nice atmosphere, low pressure, very professional.

Here's what I ended up paying in terms of a breakdown

Starting from MSRP and Destination of $18,965, here is the deal I got.

$15,495 for the Car
    $ 710 for the destination Fee
    $ 200 for the remote starter
    -----------------
    $16,405

That includes $1000 discount from Honda to the dealer.

Add in 7% tax, $199 document fees (lowest I have seen), $7.50 tire fee, and $147 title/registration fee (I kept my plates) + some accessories for a little over $100 and I walked out the door for....

$17,958

Highly recommend the dealership.

Thanks for all the help on this forum.
  • Options
    scusyxxscusyxx Member Posts: 16
    MSRP : 18255
    Destination : 670

No Rebate, no trade.

Invoice : 15757.6
    Tax + Tags : 603.4
    Processing : 89
  • Options
    nnmnnm Member Posts: 2
    Hi Alex,

I'm currently in the process of chasing prices for a Civic LX-S and a Coupe EX in the same area, with many of the same dealerships. Most of all, I wanted to thank you for an extremely informative and helpful post. Odd though, the first quotes I've received from Tysons, Coleman, and Ourisman are not entirely competitive. I wonder if you could elaborate on how you worked down a quote 'legitimately', so as to begin to play them off each other?

Thanks!

Cheers,
    N.
  • Options
    jykmjykm Member Posts: 1
    bought a new 09 civic lx 4dr automatic sedan today, and it was slightly below 17.5k, including everything. I'm in chicago area.
  • Options
    imacycoimacyco Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

To jykm or anyone else willing to look at the offers I have.

Dealer 1:
    09 Honda Civic LX (no added options)
    Offer: 16,443 + TTL
    OTD: 177xx (I have my own plates).
    - Bonus 1 - Dealer has "lifetime powertrain" warranty if the car is serviced *exactly* as the manual recommends (which I do, religiously). Car does not have to be serviced at their dealership. Don't know how valuable this is; warranty has $100 deductible.
    - Bonus 2- Dealer is offering free oil changes if all servicing is done at their dealership (dealership is far away enough that I'd probably never cash this in because I'd miss one and they'd have an excuse to back out of this part of the deal).

Dealer 2 -
    09 Honda Civic LX (no added options)
    Offer: $16,113 + TTL
    OTD: I forgot the number, I assume ~300 less than Dealer 1.
    Bonus - A couple of free oil changes.

Thoughts? Please evaluate my offers and provide feedback. Thanks!
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    It appears you have about some average deals on an LX auto including all dealership fees, sans tax and title.

good luck
    --jjf
  • Options
    Anyone getting quotes for Civic EX Sedan? What is a hot price for this model?
  • Options
    sabrasabra Member Posts: 3
    I paid 19,600 for a 2009 Civic EX Sedan with navi,(with mudgards and wheel locks) Price did not include tax, title, doc fee and license.
    I'm not sure it was a great price but seemed to be at the time (mid June). So far am pleased with the car.
  • Options
    riverwlkr02riverwlkr02 Member Posts: 2
    Was wondering what your choice would be. Never owned a Honda. I have to decide between a 1991 Honda Civic or 1987 Chevy Beretta. The Civic has 168,000 miles on it. Engine/trans good. Needs front ball joints. Test drived - not bad! Little rust and no dents. Asking $775.

1987 Chevy Beretta has 136,000 miles and some rust. The brakes felt damp (small line where it seeps out a connector) - flange ends of brake lines. Asking $750. New battery, air filter, manifold.
  • Options
    No question. Go with the Civic.

I would get a second opinion on those ball joints. They almost never go bad.

Just make sure the timing belt has been replaced. You have to do these every 90,000 miles on those othrwise it can break and trash the engine.
  • Options
    jjh220jjh220 Member Posts: 12
    Hi N,

I am glad you found my experience helpful!

It is a rule rather than an exception for the first round of quotes you receive to be less than attractive. Do not be put off by that though - the second round will be so much better.

When dealers send out quotes, they have to strike the right balance between a quote that's too high (and will scare the customers away) and one that's too low (that won't make them much money). I was amazed to see just how many quotes of $15,900 +/- $50 (dest. included, everything else extra) for the LX coupe I've gotten. Apparently that was the "sweet spot" quote to send out last month.
    Do not discount a dealership just because they hit you with a "high ball" quote at first. They very well might be the dealership that will give you the most attractive price in the end. You just have to give them that chance.

Here is how I dealt with receiving a quote that was too high for my liking (which was every quote I've initially gotten): an email with a counter offer designed to reveal who is more willing to compete on price than the rest.

Rough template of my email (please modify as you see fit):

"Hello [insert salesman's name],

Thank you for your prompt response.

Based on the research I've conducted it appears that it is quite possible to purchase a new Civic [insert trim: DX/LX/EX Sedan/Coupe automatic/manual) for roughly $xx,xxx with the destination included as well as such basics as wheel locks and splash guards. I would be very interested in receiving a quote for this amount (incl. destination) with the [insert optional equipment/accessories you really want] installed.

Is that a price you can get me to?

Originally I wanted to wait for the [insert future event such as end of the year/end of the month/Honda Clearance/release of a new model/new model year/etc] but I would like to make my purchase sooner in order to [insert a reasonable cause: get my favorite color/get my desired trim level/buy in time for an anniversary/etc]. It is thus my intention to purchase this vehicle [insert a short time frame you'll buy in if the price is right: in 2 days/this week/before the end of this month/etc].

Regards,

[your name]"

Some dealers will not reply at all. Some will give you a lower quote (but not as low as you had wanted) with a hint they might lower the price even further if you come to their dealership in person. Some will say you are being unrealistic. And then some will accept your offer.

Once you obtain several acceptances, it is time to start visiting the dealerships in person. The negotiation process is not done yet, of course. Better prices await! Remember, in your email you've never committed yourself to buying at the quote they provide. What you said is "Can you give me this quote?" and indicated a time frame for when you'd like to make your purchase.

Now that you are at the dealer, you are no longer just an abstract internet lead. You are an actual person with a wallet in your pocket and a pen in your hand. It's been my impression that showing up in person and saying "I'll be signing the paperwork today if you can sell me a car at the price I want" will show the dealer that you are serious and will motivate the salesperson and their manager to do their best to earn your business.

Now it is time to reveal to the dealer that you have several other (identical) quotes from other dealers who have decided to accept your emailed counter-offer. A Civic is not an Acura NSX - all dealers have them in stock and all dealers have a variety of colors and trims available. Let your dealer know: you are ready to buy but now you need them to do something to distinguish themselves from the rest the pack. You can ask for anything: an additional accessory (they are very pricey when bought separately from the car but a dealer gets them at prices significantly below retail), LoJack, an extended warranty for half (or less than) the usual price (I don't consider them to be worth it for Hondas at all but it's an option to consider), free oil changes/tire rotations/alignments for a year/2 years/3 years/etc or even an additional discount.

It is important to be firm. It's best to make up your mind on what extras/value-added services you want the dealer to include with the car before you come in. The only real way to know whether or not you are asking for too much (other than knowing someone who works in the business and has up to date knowledge of all the relevant numbers) is to visit multiple dealerships. If after prolonged negotiations the dealer sees that you are ready to walk and still doesn't give you the price/options/accessories that you want for the price that you want, it is probably a sign that you need to re-adjust your requests when you are making your next stop.

Bets of luck!

- Alex

P.S. Also check out Sport Honda - I've never visited them in person but based on the quote they gave me and the feedback on this forum it appears that they are quite price-competitive.
  • Options
    Hi J,

Did you by any chance have a trade-in? Thanks for the effort and info.

-RRR
  • Options
    We call thse Blast Faxes and most dealers ignore them.

You will probably end up paying more from the small percentage of stores that will respond.
  • Options
    Ummm... Did you see the scorching hot deal that he got using this method? Oh, I forgot - you're on the other team ;)
  • Options
    How do you know he couldn't have done even better?
  • Options
    Because I've done the research, and it *seems* to me that he got a very good deal. Since you're an insider on this topic, could you please share with us what a hot deal would be on a Civic EX sedan? Your input would be greatly appreciated by many. TIA.
  • Options
    link title

According to the CA.gov (or was that CA.bankrupt :mad: )

Contra Costa County is @ 9.25%.
  • Options
    ccm226ccm226 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2009 Civic EX automatic sedan with no additional items for 17,400 including destination. Once 5% MA tax, registration and documentation fee was done it came to 18,624 drive it away.

MSRP with dest was $20,775. I followed a bit milder version of the method jjh220 proposes; I got internet quotes from 5 dealers. They all were within say $100 of $18100 with destination. One gave me a "today only" price of 17,750 or so. I shopped that to another dealer on the phone and got him to beat it, shopped that new offer to a 3rd on the phone who beat it, and brought that back to the first "today only" dealer who could only match that last price (17,400), but could also offer to match my credit union's best finance rate (4.99%) without me having to go drive around to the credit union. They also got the best reviews in the area on dealerrater.com. I decided to go for it there, since the dealers were becoming much less willing to budge at that point so I don't think there was too much room left.

-ccm
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Allowing for inflation, that is less than what I paid for a Civic LX with stick shift over 20 years ago. :surprise: Amazing.
  • Options
    Hey RRR,

I did have a trade-in - a '99 Accord Coupe (it will be missed).

I used a guide called Galves (www.galves.com) in order to come up with a value for my car. It does require a subscription (daily, weekly or monthly) but it is definitely money well spent. I consider Galves to be miles and bounds more useful (and accurate) than Kelly Blue Book, in large part because it is so widely used by the dealers themselves.

My strategy on the trade-in:

Look up your car on Galves.
    Stick to the "Galves trade-in value" during your negotiations. If your car is so clean that you can eat off its floor, ask for the "Galves market ready value".

But....

Keep this in mind. A trade in value is just another variable in the overall car buying equation. It is not nearly as important as commonly thought.

The equation:

Price of the new car you are buying - how much the dealer gives you for your trade = Price you actually pay

The first number is meaningless. The second number is meaningless. The only number that actually matters is the third number.

Let me explain how I see it. Suppose a dealer buys a car from Honda for $9,999. He puts it on the lot with a shiny "$14,000" sticker on it. You come in and bring by your Geo Metro as a trade-in. The dealer looks at it and thinks "I can only sell it for $1000, this is what that Geo worth to me".

How do you get the best deal?

Situation A. You offer the dealer $9000 for the new car and you agree to the dealer's valuation of $1000 for your Geo (which is actually its "true" worth).

Dealer's profit: $1.

Situation B. You demand more for your Geo - $2,000 ($1k more than it's worth, but you might or might not know that - it doesn't matter either way). The "extra" $1,000 can only come from one place - the dealer's profit from the new car. You now only have to get the dealer to come down to $10,000 to get a deal just as excellent as that in the previous case (Situation A).

Dealer's profit: $1.

To put it in different terms, you might as well ask $1 for your trade in all cases, no matter what it is, how many miles it has or what condition it is in. It can be a Geo Metro or a Ferrari Enzo - makes no difference. As long as all the dealers you go to give you that $1, there is no math left to be done. All you have to do is compare the prices the dealers give you - lowest price wins. If this sounds too extreme, just ask for the Galves value. The trick is simple - going to multiple dealerships and asking them to beat their competitors' prices is the most straight forward way of getting the lowest price possible.

:confuse: Did my rumblings make any sense? Let me know! :)

- J

P.S. I just reread my post and realized I might have sounded borderline patronizing from time to time; if so, my apologies - that was not my intention.
  • Options
    J,

The reason I asked if you had a trade-in is that your "price paid" for the new car seemed unusually hot. Now, knowing that you did indeed have a trade-in, it's near impossible to decipher how hot a deal you really did achieve, and your posts could be a bit misleading to potential buyers who are trying to figure how much they should be paying for a new civic LX. I think you should have mentioned that you had a trade-in from the beginning. Your advice on how to negotiate was very helpful, though. Thanks.
  • Options
    Thanks for this info. Did you have a trade-in?
  • Options
    While not a statistically significant sample, my experience suggests the complete opposite.

Out of 12 dealerships that I've sent my counter-offer to, all but 2 sent out a meaningful reply. Also, out of those 12 dealers, 4 (one third) accepted my counter offer. One third does not seem like such a small percentage to me.

Based on my examination of the quotes I've received as well as the prices other have posted for a comparably equipped vehicle, I do not see the basis for your assertion.

Could I have done better? I do not believe so, at least not meaningfully so. Perhaps another $50 or $75, perhaps nothing at all. It didn't seem important for me to find out. I guess it's true what they say: "if you think you good a good deal, you did".
  • Options
    I see what you mean RRR. You are right, I should have brought up the trade earlier.
    The reason I never mentioned it was that the fact that what I got for it was precisely the amount Galves indicated. The age and mileage of my Accord leave no doubt that it will be going straight for the auction (thus the dealer wouldn't have given me more than its "natural" worth in hopes of making some extra profit during retail).

Just as notable, I've received all 4 quotes for $15,500 (dest. included but not tax, tags or $100 doc fee) without mentioning the fact that I had a trade-in at all. For these reasons, I believe the price I have attained is quite possible to duplicate (assuming the incentives this month haven't gotten worse) without a trade-in.
  • Options
    jsetjset Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a civic LX with AT for my wife from Prime Honda.

MSRP: $18925 (incl destination)
    without any accessories

Price paid
    Base price: $15614
    With TTL (5% tax), OTD price $16800

I asked for price quotes and did negotiations through internet.
    Once the price was agreed, the dealer asked for $500 DP to secure the deal.
    The next day, we went to the dealer and tested drive the car with the color that we wanted. We were happy with the car (it was still covered with plastics and only 4M). We took care of the payment on the same day and got the car in the next business day. The dealer was professional and we were happy to have business with them. At the delivery, my wife found a tiny scratch on the door and they took care of it immediately at their body shop.
  • Options
    I did have a trade in but it was an optional deal. They were willing to sell me the new civic at that price either way. I am suspicious that telling them you have a trade early in the negotiations makes them more willing to flex on the new car price, then if you could hold it back and just buy the car, you might be able to do alright. However, then you'd still need to do something with your old car.

They gave me $1000 for my old 1997 Civic EX coupe 5 speed with 127,000. KBB and NADA were pointing at between $1300 and 2000 for it in the rough to average shape it was in (minor body damage on most panels, needed rear brakes, CV joints were clicking softly and close being needed, interior was clean with a couple pieces of fabric worn through/busted seams and had a recent CD/MP3 player) Before I traded my car, I talked with a couple mechanic friends of mine to see what they thought and if I ought to be getting more given the state of my trade. The one that gave me a price (I didn't tell him the dealer's quote first) after seeing it said he could give me $1000 for it for him to resale it. Looking at craigslist showed people asking mid-2000's for fairly similar cars, though I don't really know their condition. I figure they are getting knocked down to about $2000 for a private party deal.

Note, MA has a law that requires the owner to warranty the car he's selling for 30 days, even a 12 year old one. So, without knowing the details of the law, it appears that if the new owner were to come back a week after buying it and say "hey these brakes are bad and I need new ones" then I'd be obligated to pay or allow him to return me the car for a full refund. So selling a used car in MA as a private party deal is less attractive than in other states.

On the whole, I think I would have been able to get say $1200 for it from the dealer had I played them a bit better, but I don't think it was an unreasonable deal given in the local market.

-ccm
  • Options
    Thanks, but I'll stay out of this.

Just don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Carry on...
  • Options
    Galves is so widely used by the dealers themselves?

Really? I've never heard of Galves except on thse forums.

We certainly don't use it.

We go more by Mainheim auction results. These show what the cars ae relly going for in real world numbers. The market is funny and it can change quickly.
  • Options
    Would you call me crazy for trying to get a Civic EX sedan automatic for $16950?
  • Options
    Give it a go and let us know how you do. I think you could get pretty close if you're willing to haggle with a lot of dealers.

However, you may want to calculate the opportunity cost of your free time on the weekend before you spend it all for that last hundred bucks. FYI, I was able to go from requesting bids online to signing on the car within about 7 hours in one day.
  • Options
    ccm226,

How do you deal with a dealer who won't give you a counter offer, but a "yes, I can beat that quote" type answer? I'm having trouble getting these guys to battle each other with quotes.

Thanks,

RRR
  • Options
    Not crazy, just totally unrealistic.

If you make that offer, you won't be taken seriously.
  • Options
    tl11tl11 Member Posts: 2
    wow, you got a great deal.

I just bought an 2009 EX a couple of days ago in Westchester, NY for $19,768 OTD with splash guards.

Here's the breakdown:
    price: 18,226
    tax: 1,344
    plates: 131
    ny inspect: 10
    tire fee: 12
    dmv: 45

Another dealer offered me 17,700 but they were farther away and seemed shady; didn't know if they were gonna tack on more "dealer" fees. Of the 10 other dealers I emailed with the 17,700 offer, half of them said they couldn't do it, and half said "Sure, but you'll have to come in". Not too sure what I'd be in for, but I definitely think you can get prices lower once your at the dealership and show that you're a serious buyer.

Thanks to everyone here who posted their experiences and numbers. There a wealth of info here that made buying my first car a whole lot easier!
  • Options
    I can't offer any magic, but here's basically what I recall. I basically just called up the other dealers who gave me internet quotes. I'd get the guy who sent it and chat with him for a minute to be friendly, answer any easy questions he had and feel him out. Then I'd politely explain that I was talking with another dealer in town, and say which it was, and they offered to do the deal for $xxxx. Then I'd say something like "I'm curious if you could beat that offer for me?" Sometimes I'd have to prod them a little and say could you beat it by $100? There was one dealer that didn't want to play unless I was there in person, but they were the only one, I just let them be.

The last dealer, the one I bought from - call them dealer A, I noticed had bought billboards on the road outside of one of the biggest Honda dealers in town (dealer B) - so clearly they are competing hard for the business with them. So after a couple of dealers beating my offer I called dealer B and got them to beat it my last offer (this was the 17,400 quote for the civic EX auto sedan with dest fee). Then I called dealer A, their upstart competitor, told them that dealer B was offering me this and asked if they could beat it. They said they couldn't, but they could match it and then I got them to work out the financing at 4.99% assuming great credit. I think they were extra motivated to take the deal from their competitor.

Possibly the NY/NJ market is a bit different than Boston? I wouldn't let just one or two get you down though. See if you can tell which dealers are hungriest for the deal and see if you can work them.

Now that I've read this forum, I wish I got wheel locks thrown in for the alloys - it totally didn't occur to me! I'd get the dealer you go with to throw them in too.

-ccm
  • Options
    If you make that offer out of the blue, I agree, they probably won't take you seriously. If you grind them down to it with other dealers competing, you might. I'd do most all of this grinding from home on the phone.

I think you lose a ton of leverage once you go into the dealer in person - they have you somewhat trapped and you can't just stop dealing with them and call the next dealer to quote so easily. There's a balance though, since you're there, they see you as a real live prospect with cash, so if you play right they might do everything they can to avoid having you leave. However, you play by their rules in the dealership (have you "wait for the sales manager to review your offer" while they really are just chatting with each other or having a smoke while you're sweating at the salesrep's desk). You have also implicitly said that you think their internet/phone offer is acceptable or close to it by showing up in the dealership after internet/phone haggling.

-ccm
  • Options
    Yes, Galves is a frequently utilized tool used to value trade-ins.
    Where is your dealership located? As I understand it, Galves is widely adopted in the Northeast of the country. I do believe they update their prices weekly (but don't quote me on that).

isellhondas, could you take a look into the Manheim database and see what a '99 Accord Coupe EX V6 (w/ leather) and 152k miles in a "below average" condition is sold for? It'd be interesting to know how close the two sources are to one another.

Cheers,

J.
  • Options
    Ccm, is dealer B Boch and dealer A - Herb Chambers? Am I warm?
    I am from New England too ;)
  • Options
    vinjr2009vinjr2009 Member Posts: 2
    Nobody in town is going to sell you a Civic VP-DX which is the cheapes one at that price. You have to know that that car comes without A/C or radio, so most dealer added to their cars, plus that's a car that not all dealers have, their is not that many of them. better yet most dealers might have 1 or 2 of them.

you'll be better off buying a LX civic, or making an offer of $17.999 D.O to be realistic.

or go to toyota and try to get a base corolla, manual, you'll be closer to that one
  • Options
    vinjr2009vinjr2009 Member Posts: 2
    Nobody in town is going to sell you a Civic VP-DX which is the cheapest one at that price. You have to know that that car comes without A/C or radio, so most dealer added to their cars, plus that's a car that not all dealers have, their is not that many of them. better yet most dealers might have 1 or 2 of them.

you'll be better off buying a LX civic, or making an offer of $17.999 D.O to be realistic.

or go to toyota and try to get a base corolla, manual, you'll be closer to that one
  • Options
    Not so. The DX-VP comes with both A/C and a radio.

The plain DX comes with neither but I don't think they even make these anymore.

I never sold one when they were available.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large magazine reporter is looking to speak to consumers interested in talking to recent car buyers who have negotiated good deals in these tough economic times. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Thursday, July 23, 2009.