Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    fbtmousefbtmouse Member Posts: 3
    I too just picked up my 2006 Civic EX Sedan MT with Fog lights and wheel locks. Total OTD $20,040 which included the 6% sales tax, registation, new plates, dealer processing fee...... i'm in CT so i think this was a really good deal considering all the other dealerships i dealt with wouldn't budge from MSRP!!!

What do you guys think.......
  • Options
    gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "does the 18488 include the $550 freight?"

Their website doesn't specify, but it would be easy enough to email or contact them by phone. Also, I would hope one could get some sort of printed verification of out the door price before driving 6 or so hours. As I mentioned, they seem to get a certain amount of out of state buyers if you believe the folks on this chat room.

I have no affiliation with the dealership nor have I bought from them so my advice is to get any price agreement in writing. If I recall correctly, their policy at one time was to make everyone pay 3% above invoice, but I haven't checked their current prices to verify--and that may not include hot/new models.

I strongly considered getting a new 04 CR-V from them, but got a Rav4 instead because it's what my wife wanted.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    sreergsreerg Member Posts: 2
    I live in MA, I am going to pickup my 2006 Civic EX AT tomorrow. Paid $17,400 including doc fee + 5% state tax ($862.70) + registration ($63.50)+ Extended warraty 5/100,000 ($895), Total price - $19329. No extras.
    How did I do?
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    6-7 hours? yikes that must include a few picnic's along the way. :surprise:

DL
  • Options
    psypsy Member Posts: 122
    Hi,

I'm looking for an EX MT w/Navi in the Orlando area. Any posters here from Orlando know what the prices are around this area? Is everyone paying MSRP or is the price negotiable?

I'm not really in a hurry... so do you guys think the prices will be more negotiable as the lots get filled up?

Thanks in advance for the responses...

I purchased a 06 civic EX Sedan, 5MT w/Navi before Christmas for $468.00 above invoice. OTD price including Dest. Doc, fees was $19,128.50,, its silver with gray interior. Just like the brochur car. this was at Mark Roberts in Bartlesville, Ok.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    An EX MT w/Navi is a unique combination. Are there any on the dealer lots here? I don't know if prices are going down yet, but I was on the lot at Classic Honda on SR50 and they had 3 Civics, one of which was an SI, so looks like demand is still pretty high.

When I was looking for an '05 Civic SE last Sept., I had the best price from Courtesy in Sanford, but they couldn't get the car. Coggin Honda was also good, but they couldn't find what I was looking for. The salesmen at the other Honda dealers were jerks, never returned my phone calls after I told them what I was looking for. I ended up buying from Autoway Honda over in Clearwater, smooth easy business deal.

Good luck and let me know your buying experience at any of the Honda dealers here in the Orlando area.
  • Options
    "6-7 hours? yikes that must include a few picnic's along the way."

I agree. I'm a transplanted Michigander who has lived in OK for 16 years and still can't get used to the driver mindset in big land-mass states like OK, TX and NM. Many of my students will drive 4-6 hours one-way every few weeks to visit the folks. Then again, there isn't much choice here with virtually no mass-transportation options and plenty of distance between point A and B.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    kgermakgerma Member Posts: 1
    I am taking a class @ Davenport in Caledonia MI and the project we have to do is a consumer analysis. I am doing it on the Civic and need to find out who buys them. age, education, occupation, marital status, # of kids, income (range would be fine) , why did you buy the civic etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I have been searching the web for days with no luck!
  • Options
    twomotortwomotor Member Posts: 17
    Live in Illinois, LX coupe still in short supply, have quote of $16,700.00 + $51.00 doc fee, + TTL. Good deal or wait and hope supply of cars catch up?
    Twomotor
  • Options
    Drop me an email, the addy is in my profile.
  • Options
    faster4faster4 Member Posts: 2
    Wow! That's a great deal. I live in MA and looking for the same deal for Civic 2006 EX Auto. Any help on dealership is appreciated. Enjoy your new ride !
  • Options
    sreergsreerg Member Posts: 2
    Atamian Honda, Tewksbury, MA
  • Options
    From my home in Dallas to my former in Tulsa is aprox 240 miles and takes me about 4hours on the dot seems like weather I stop or not. Now I do recall taking US 69 before US 75 was built many moon's ago and it was a good 5 plus. In any case thanks for the info on the dealer.

DL
  • Options
    A friend Emailed me from Melbourne,FL area. They had a manual on order on a dealer trade. When they went to take delivery the dealer returned their deposit and said "sorry it was sold". Supposedly there are no manual's available in the area.

DL
  • Options
    I lucked into my car plain and simple. I was very intrested in the Si.. I just bought a 05 Accord EX Sedan, I4, AT. Fell in love with that car so I really wanted a rat car for me to bang around in. The AT in the Accord IMO ruins a otherwise wonderful car. Right up the wifes alley. A BORING to drive good looking car. So it looked like Si was a answer to a prayer. One was on its way into my dealer. Black with no Navi... perfect. They had to have MSRP for the car. Wouldnt even knock ten bucks off the cars price. Well I wont pay MSRP for a car even if it poo'd gold dust in the glove box. So the deal was off. They then called back with a offer on the Civic EX Sedan, 5MT with Navi. I jumped on it knowing it would be a rare combo and the 5MT does make it driveable. I have no idea why anybody would want a AT in a car under 200hp at all. Just rips the guts right out of them. Wife and i ride into Tulsa together for work now days. On days that she dosent have to go to meetings, run around for work or drive to OKC for some worthless meeting. We take the Civic. Otherwise we are in her Accord. Looks like we are According it Tuesday. :( I did get to do the Civic thing today. :shades:

Good luck in your Civic search...
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I can share our experience on this. About 3 weeks ago my husband decided he wanted a Civic EX coupe 5-speed manual transmission. Went to test drive one and he definitely wanted it after the test drive. The dealer had a blue EX 5-speed without NAV. Then my husband decided he had to have the NAV mainly because of the factory-installed XM radio. The dealer said they found one in south Georgia and would have it sent up here. We call them for two days and they kept telling us the car would get there soon. So we took the 20" wheels off our MDX we were trading and put the stock 17" wheels back on it. My husband went up there to check on it and the sales manager comes out and says that their appraisal of our car would be $2000 less because he took the wheels off. My husband thought this was stupid because we all know a car is worth more when it has all original equipment. So he left and decided to look elsewhere.

On to Economy Honda in Chattanooga. We were looking on the internet and saw that they had a silver EX 5-speed manual with NAV. My husband went up there and was not able to make the deal. They wanted MSRP + for the Civic and were giving us fair book for our MDX. So we decided to sell the MDX on our own thinking that would make the Civic purchase easier. So we put the MDX on Ebay and it sold 2 days later. Then we turn the Civic search on high.

Search and search the internet and we find a Civic EX Coupe 5-speed NAV in galaxy gray. My husband calls the dealer and they also want over MSRP. We aren't paying over MSRP for a Civic so we pass.

Then we decide to try carsdirect.com. They have a great price on the Civic and say that the price is "guaranteed". Put our order in and receive a call back saying they will try to locate the car. She also states that she works miracles and thinks she will be able to get the car for us. So, a couple of days pass and she calls back saying that the only EX 5-speed with NAV she can get her hands on are in Ohio and Illinois and if we want those we will have to pay MSRP + shipping costs. So much for their "Low Price Guarantee".

After all of this my husband decides that he can do without the NAV he just wants a Civic EX 5-speed manual transmission in silver or galaxy gray. We browse through the dealer websites and come across a dealer in Atlanta who show they have two in stock. Call them up the next morning and the saleswoman quotes us a pretty good price ($19800) out the door with fog lights, mud guards, and the cargo net. Only problem is that they sold the two they have in stock but she says "No problem, give me a deposit and we'll get it for you". So I give her my credit card number and she says she will get to work and call me back. About 30 minutes later she calls back and asks if we would consider a 4 door or a different color. We tell her "no" and she says that it's starting to look grim. Apparently, there are only 2 silver manual trannys and 1 gray manual transmission in the state of Georgia and none of the dealers will do a dealer trade and they won't tell us where the cars are. She says she is still waiting on a call back on one of the silvers and will get back with us when she has an answer. Fine, we leave for a weekend trip to Florida planning on looking while we are down there also.

On to Saturday morning. We get to Florida and call a few dealers and have no luck. There are no silver or gray EX 5-speed coupes in the whole state of Florida. One dealer kindly offers to sell us a SI at $5000 over MSRP or only $3000 over if we promise to buy it that same day. A stop at one dealer results in them telling us that there is one 5-speed EX NAV in Florida but it's not one of our color choices and even if it was the dealer wouldn't do a trade.

The only story that was consistent between the dealers is that production of EX 5-speed coupes would begin again in February and if we want a EX 5-speed with NAV we will have to wait until April for production to start over. Otherwise the dealers tell us to put a deposit and we can order one but then they turn around and say they can't order specific cars from Honda but have to suffer through the allocation system. Then they say that the reason you can't get them is because dealers don't order them because no one wants them. But they also say you'll have to pay more because it's a "HOT" car that everybody wants.

After buying 10 new Hondas over the last 8 years this is the most frustrating experience we have ever had. Between Honda's allocation strategy and the dealers double talk getting one of these cars seems impossible.

So .... we sold our MDX to the buyer on Ebay and will probably buy a 96 Civic EX sedan to tide us over until something better comes along or until Honda and it's dealers get their act together.
  • Options
    aswo1aswo1 Member Posts: 6
    EX coupe MT w/navi is worth waiting for. Believe me. Been driving mine for several weeks. 5MT shifts like a rolex watch, and engine is quick. Built-in XM radio is a plus. Voice activated GPS and audio system rarely seen in a car of this price range. This is the finest car for the money Honda has never built. It's a hell of a lot of car at this price.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    anonymousposts: You might want to come up with a plan B, either wait out the Honda Dealers until supply catches up, or be more flexible with your color or transmission, or better yet, choose something else. The dealers now are being very tough and you have dealt with some real winners. Do not put any money down on a car, wait until you actually see the car. They all talk a good game, but that is all. Seems to me you have given up too much of your time. The Civic is not the Holy Grail.
  • Options
    thebillthebill Member Posts: 194
    This car is the best vehicle ever made in its class. Go buy a Cobalt or a Corolla if you dont want to be in a safe, affordable, and better vehicle.
  • Options
    Amen
  • Options
    for us. It has everything we both want such as side curtain airbags, roof, nice stereo, and the legendary Honda 4 cylinder/5-speed manual combination. We've owned nearly 40 cars over the last 10 years and we are used to getting what we want when we want it. We will not be flexible with our color or tranny. We will just wait it out. We have 2 other cars besides the Acura MDX we just sold and are about to pick up a 96 Civic EX to take that place of what we would have used the new Civic for. Just would have been nice to have.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Kind of like the previous version was the best ever when that came out, or the Accord was the best ever when that came out. You will only hold this high honor until the new Corolla comes out then that will be the best ever. Didn't the Mazda 3 get car of the year when it first came out, so that was the best ever at the time. Cobalt can't compare with the civic, but the Corolla certainly can and will likely get better mileage and cost less. Yes, the Civic is a nice car, safe ,reliable, but it is a small economy car not a BMW or Lexus, or even an Accord. The dealers want you to think it is the best car ever.
  • Options
    racer_x34racer_x34 Member Posts: 1
    I have beens shopping for a Civic Si for a couple weeks now. One word of advice that i have is that stay away from River Oaks Honda. I believe it is owned by Napleton. They unfortunately happen to be the only dealership in the area to have the car im looking for and they have done nothing be screw me around from the start. Giving me a huge load of bull, being rude, and assuming i knew absolutely nothing about what i was talking about. The want $5000 over list for it, if you ask my thats rediculous. On the other hand Bosak Honda in scheville, IN has been very helpful and friendly, including gave me passes to next weeks auto show. They are not asking anything over list for it and are willing to go out there and find me the car that i want. So as soon as i get my financials in line i know where im going, unfortunately im going to have to wait for it. But at least its better then going back to that River Oaks Honda, my advice, NEVER go there.
  • Options
    $5K over MSRP? Heck for that price, you could take a cruise to Japan, pick one up over there, and take a long boat ride back. Just kidding, but $5K over list is insane.
  • Options
    integradriverintegradriver Member Posts: 123
    Very difficut in the Mid Atlantic to find a MT of any type. I got lucky and one of the dealers I popped in to see had one coming in. Got a VIN number on my contract when I put my money down, got the car 4 days later. If you're looking for something off a DX, I've found that in my experience a dealer will write any deal, but actually filling the order is something else entirely. All you really have is a promise to look for a car until you've got the VIN.
  • Options
    pakcikkayopakcikkayo Member Posts: 5
    Got the VIN and will be picking it up 2/11 Saturday from Mark Roberts. Will fly from Austin to Tulsa early morning and drive out the dealer lot by noon - 2PM at most.

Price paid as it listed on the web page $17758 + $49.50 doc fee. TTL will be done in Texas - about $1200 total. So OTD is about ~$19k. Savings about $1k below MSRP. flight ticket one way just $49 (Southwest). Plus $25 ride fee to MRM dealer plus about $40 in gas for the trip home.

10+ hours drives to get home and 530miles would definitely be worth it... $100/hour lol...
    Visit some friends/relative along the way in Tulsa, OK City and Fort Worth and show off the new car....lol..free food too.

BTW, the Atomic Blue Sedan 5MT Stock # 60358 listed on MRM webpage is mine.

Can't wait!
  • Options
    My email is in my profile, drop me a line!
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    For every five speed a dealer orders, that's one automatic he CAN'T order. Automatics outsell 5 speeds at least ten to one, at least in my neck of the woods.

So, a small/medium volume dealer probably won't order any five speeds.

Same applies to the NAVI cars. Very few people find a need for them. The non navis sell so much better, the dealers want to turn their inventories quickly so they can earn more cars.

A five speed NAVI is quite the oddball. Then when a certain color is a must, it can make it an impossible order.
  • Options
    drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Hello everyone-

I just for quoted for a 2006 Civic LX auto sedan for $17,375 out the door price. I was able to for the car for invoice at $15,825, but the saleman wanted to charge me $550 for destination, is this a legit charge? Can I negoitate to lower the destination charge? And does dealership accept personal check and hard cash instead of getting a money order? I am buying tomorrow.

Thank you very much
  • Options
    joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    I got Sunny Side Accura Of Nashua, NH to drop the destination chage on my Type S.
    However,it took alot of work.They took my personal check . Maybe, because it was done electronically.(P.O.D.)
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    drexelnet,

The $550 Destination charge is on the price sticker of every Civic. It is non-negotiable and must be paid. Yes, it is legitimate.

If you can purchase that vehicle for the price you mentioned, don't miss it. It is a great deal.

Sure, the dealership will accept a personal check... but only if you have it CERTIFIED by your bank first. Sure, the dealer should accept cash too. But such a large cash transaction might cause some raised eyebrows and someone checking with the police.

Please verify my above points with the dealer before you go there though.
  • Options
    joem5,

They probably didn't "drop" the destination charge. Rather, they dropped their base price by the same amount so it appeared that the total was lower by the $550.
  • Options
    drexelnetdrexelnet Member Posts: 47
    Thank you Blane for your response. I appreciate it. What do you mean by CERTIFIED, if I bring my personal check to the bank, does the bank put a stamp on it to make it CERTIFIED?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    drexelnet,

Yes, that is correct. Once the bank verifies that you have the funds in your account, they "lock up" the specific amount of your check by certifying it, thus assuring the recipient that the money is theirs. The issuer of a certified check (you) cannot put a stop on it.

That is a very common method of making payments of large amounts of money. Talk to the friendly folks at your bank.
  • Options
    aswo1aswo1 Member Posts: 6
    American Honda Vehicle Sales For January 2006
    Month-to-Date
    January January DSR**
    2006 2005 % Chg. 2005 % Chg.
    American Honda Total 98,394 81,504 20.7%
    Total Car Sales 57,429 45,983 24.9%
    Total Truck Sales 40,965 35,521 15.3% Honda Total Car
    Sales 47,289 36,276 30.1
    Acura Total Car
    Sales 10,140 9,707 4.5%
    Domestic Car Sales * 48,146 36,949 30.3%
    Honda Division 43,278 32,195 34.4%
    Acura Division 4,868 4,754 2.4%

MODEL BREAKOUTS BY
    DIVISION
    Honda Division Total 84,413 67,840 24.4%
    Accord * 22,046 20,074 9.8%
    Civic * 24,788 15,874 56.2%
    Memo: Civic Hybrid 3,165 1,169 170.7%
    S2000 396 321 23.4%
    Insight 59 7 742.9%
    FCX 0 0
    Odyssey * 10,257 9,303 10.3%
    Pilot * 9,999 8,837 13.1%
    CR-V 9,325 10,160 -8.2%
    Element * 3,729 3,264 14.2%
  • Options
    therodtherod Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2006 Civic lx sedan for $16,600 total.I got $500 for my 1995 Mercury sable wagon in trade. I purchased the civic at Boch Honda in Norwood, Ma.. The total price includes all taxes and fees.
  • Options
    MRM is a GREAT dealer! Ive purchased my 05 Accord and 06 Civic there. To bad we didnt hook up. I would have driven you to the dealer in my 06 Civic. Im leaveing right now to go to Broken Arrow and trouble shoot a fuel pump relay on a older Accord for a buddy of mine.

I hope you enjoy will have enjoyed your drive home and look forward to follow up post concerning the car, purchase and the trip. :shades:

psy
  • Options
    flboyflboy Member Posts: 3
    Curious if there are any sites like MRM in Oklahoma that post their inventory and prices in the southeast. I live in central Florida. Thanks in advance! :shades:
  • Options
    keithkeithkeithkeith Member Posts: 1
    Hi- I'm about to purchase a 2006 Civic EX manual transmission Sedan.. I want a car that nobody within surrounding states has because of the MT and plus I want a specific color, so that means the car has to be ordered (or on-order trade).

:confuse: Every dealer I contact claims I have to pay MSRP- but I want to know, is this what I'm stuck with, to pay MSRP? How can I get them below MSRP? Thanks, Keith
  • Options
    paying MSRP. You can choose to wait like we did. We wanted a 5-speed manual Civic EX coupe with NAV. Same deal. Only a couple available in the region and the dealers want MSRP or MSRP +. So we bought a semi-beater and will drive it until the model we want is readily available and can be had for what we want to pay not what the dealer wants us to pay.

I know there is a galaxy grey 5-speed EX sedan available in the metro-Atlanta area. If they still have it that is. It's at Carey Paul Honda. They quoted me $19800 OTD including sales tax, fog lights, cargo net, and splash guards for the twin in a coupe version.
  • Options
    Only 5 % of all Civics can be ordered with NAVI. That's one out of 20.

Since sedans outsell coupes by a huge margin, you can guess how few NAVI coupes there will be out there.

Now,when you figure that the automatics FAR outsell the 5 speeds, a NAVI 5spped coupe is going to ve a VERY rare car to find.

And, you have to have a certain color too?

And, you want a big discount on a car that I don't have and can't get?

I deal with this every day and believe me, it's frustrating!
  • Options
    Years ago, personal check was the way to go with a dealer...I only ever recall one problem with a check (and that was a bank posting error) back when I was in cars. Of course, we wouldn't take credit cards without a fight, and when I got my Civic, they let me charge the whole downpayment without a second thought (and I got the bonus points from Mariott.)

Also only had one large cash transaction, lady owned a Chinese Take Out, gave us $10K with nothing larger than a fifty.
  • Options
    " I deal with this every day and believe me, it's frustrating! "

That's why they pay you the big bucks.....just kidding.
  • Options
    All of the "easy" jobs don't pay very much. ;)

It is frustrating to have such a hot product and short inventory. Honda REALLY rang the bell this time with the new Civics!
  • Options
    "I know there is a galaxy grey 5-speed EX sedan available in the metro-Atlanta area. If they still have it that is. It's at Carey Paul Honda. They quoted me $19800 OTD including sales tax, fog lights, cargo net, and splash guards for the twin in a coupe version."

One other option if you can't wait for more "readily available" oddball combos and if you like the sedan is the Acura TSX. Same Honda quality, longer warranty and used 04s w/6 speed manual and navigation are not uncommon, plus they can be found with less than 30K for the low $20s. That's only $3-4K more than a EX Civic at MSRP.

Obviously $3-4K is not chicken feed, but you'll still get very good MPG w/ the 4 cylinder engine, a very nice interior, quieter ride and a not substantially larger vehicle since it's based on the Euro Accord. Just food for thought!

Like anonymous (and a few others) I fall into that peculiar group of manual shift enthusiasts that drive isell crazy. Even worse, I seem unable to relinquish my 94 EX 5-speed for something made in this millennium. In the end I'll probably end up with another Civic simply because the closest Acura dealers are more that 60 miles away.

We're sorry isell, we can't help ourselves. However, at least I'm patient and understanding when the dealers can't find what I want.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    I'm not anti-manuals! I happen to like them myself and were it not for my wife, would be happy to drive one!

Most people feel differently.
  • Options
    isell,

You mentioned "short inventory". Since I had about 15 minutes to kill about a week ago, I drove both the main and reserve lots of my local Honda dealership (northern suburb of NYC). They had about 40 Civics in stock. I didn't pay attention to the sedan vs. coupe ratio though.

They must have had at least 200 Accords and Ridgelines up the kazoo too.
  • Options
    I wish I had that inventory.

I showed the only Ridgeline on the lot on Saturady, and it was my leased one.

Still sold a locate though, lol
  • Options
    acheache Member Posts: 1
    Anyone has experience dealing with Bankston Honda in Lewisville TX? I want EX with Nav from them. Seems like they are not willing to negotiate below the MSRP.
  • Options
    Blane, we are the largest volume dealer in seven states and at this time, we have exactly ***ONE*** 2006 Civic on our lot! We probably have a dozen or less Accords!

So, yes, I would call that "short inventory". The other stores in the area have even less.