Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

PROTECTall - interior and exterior protection being offered for additional charge

dexter8dexter8 Member Posts: 1
edited January 2014 in Subaru

Purchasing a Outback with Leather seats. The Dealer is offering a Product that is applied to outside and/or interior for additional cost. Warranty is for 7 years for burns, tears, stains, etc. they will repair or replace. Anybody out there know anything about this? Is it worth it? Will they truly replace or just mend?

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655

@dexter8 said:
    Purchasing a Outback with Leather seats. The Dealer is offering a Product that is applied to outside and/or interior for additional cost. Warranty is for 7 years for burns, tears, stains, etc. they will repair or replace. Anybody out there know anything about this? Is it worth it? Will they truly replace or just mend?

I tried a google search with that product (service) name. Did find one Subaru place that came up and towards the end of the speil it mentioned 'REPAIR, REFINISH or REPLACE' . so it looks like mend might be good word. In general I tend to avoid this kind of add on thing at dealerships, I believe it tends to be expensive and some of the stuff you could do yourself. JMHO .

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

You don't say how much they are charging for this, but in general, add-ons like this are marked up 300-400%..

And, then.... if you have an issue, you have to make a claim, and the dealer is usually of no help. I always advise to pass on these.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516

Agree with the above. For leather seats and such, you can get a good leather maintenance kit at an auto parts store, or even a saddle shop. Use it to take care of the seats like you would washing/waxing the exterior and you'll be fine.

• fred25fred25 Member Posts: 92

Dexter8-
    Unless you are extremely abusive on your interior, I would pass on this. However, if you Must have this I would STRONGLY suggest that you ask the dealer for a copy of the written documentation for this protection and carefully read what is covered and WHAT IS NOT COVERED!