Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Reliablity for New 2014 Jeep Cherokee

snowdog4snowdog4 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Jeep

Hello,
I have never even considered purchasing a Jeep before. If I knew that the vehicle would be dependable I would not hesitate to purchase one. How are other's judging this issue. For me, I tend to keep vehicles till upwards of 200K miles. Toyotas in the past have done me very well for the long haul and am still considering another.... but I do like the Cherokee....

thanks

Comments

• rmcpnhrmcpnh Member Posts: 2

It's too soon to really say, but I've now had my Cherokee for almost two months and have had ZERO problems. I love my car!

• exchngcarinfoexchngcarinfo Member Posts: 12

snowdog4, I too am interested, but feel the same way. I would prefer to buy American, but have had imports for many years because of the reliability problems. This is not to say that all imports are reliable. They are not. But it has been easier to find imports with better track records than American vehicles for many decades. This is very unfortunate.

The new Cherokee Trailhawk has a great set of features and I am pleased to hear that rmcpnh has been having good service from his Cherokee model so far. I am going to wait and watch the internet forums, like this one, hoping that at least Jeep understands what the consumer really wants is reliability. Everything else is gravy. Just my opinions. Ymmv. :)

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Well, you could say you're in luck since Fiat owns 'em now. ;)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

You might have a look at our consumer reviews of the 2014 Cherokee: http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/grand-cherokee/2014/consumer-reviews.html?sub=suv

Some good, some bad - I often find it helpful to read what people do NOT like about a car I'm considering. Half the time their dislikes are things that won't bother me at all.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bruspellbruspell Member Posts: 6

We purchased a 2014 Cherokee Latitude. Just hit 11,000 miles. For the last 1,000 miles the dealer has been trying to determine why the MIL (formerly the CEL) indicator is coming on. This past Monday we stopped in for the third time in two weeks. They scheduled me to return today. As I left the dealership on Monday the vehicle lost power, and I barely made the turn to come back into the lot. Tuesday a rep was in town, and updated some of the on board programming for the engine, transmission, etc. Today they were driving the vehicle around town to see whether the indicator light would remain off. I was told they would contact me tomorrow.
    At this point, I am reluctant to give the vehicle a positive review. These are not the sort of issues that I am willing to put up with, at least not for a new vehicle. I keep cars for at least 130,000 miles. The last thing I want is to be driving something that I don't have complete confidence in.

Update on my April 9th commentary: The vehicle was at the dealer for four days. When I picked it up on April 10th the service manager told me that a STAR case had been opened(#S1419000001). They found code P219A in system for fuel ratio imbalance. MAP sensor value was compared to another vehicle. Purge solenoid operation was found ok. O2 sensor values checked ok. Chrysler engineer supervised service tech, and installed updates to reset transmission to factory settings. I have driven vehicle just over 300 miles since the work was completed, and so far it is performing perfectly. I will update again in a month.

• htanhtan Member Posts: 1

I have a trail hawk with over 14000 miles. No 9th gear on my transmission...well it's there, or so they tell me, the jeep just doesn't use it, at all.... Ever. Chrysler's answer? Go 80-85mph on a slight decline and ease into it. Just an FYI that does not work and it is a poor excuse for a resolution to a problem they have no answer to. Love the vehicle otherwise. Just took a 3000 mile road trip( still no 9th gear) and it was nice. I think it is last chrysler product for me and it is all I have owned for the last 20 years.

• amc2002amc2002 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2014

@snowdog4 said:
    Hello,
    I have never even considered purchasing a Jeep before. If I knew that the vehicle would be dependable I would not hesitate to purchase one. How are other's judging this issue. For me, I tend to keep vehicles till upwards of 200K miles. Toyotas in the past have done me very well for the long haul and am still considering another.... but I do like the Cherokee....

thanks

My wife and I loved our 2014 Grand Cherokee (yes, I know you're talking about a regular Cherokee, but mine was a "first year model" as well), but it was in the dealer service dept more than we owned it, and they ended up putting 1000 miles on it just test driving it (it was shutting off in traffic). We had a STAR case that went on for weeks. There were multiple issues. ABS module fried, the "clutch packs" in the transfer case were too tight (they eventually replaced the transfer case), the transfer case switch was faulty, etc. The list went on. I never knew if my wife and child were going to get to their destination, and that is not a good feeling. My wife called me in a panic on one occasion because she was in heavy traffic and the dashboard started cutting out, and then the car eventually shut off. That was the last straw. After getting the worst customer experience I have ever experienced in my life from Chrysler corporation, we eventually had to file for Lemon Law status. Eventually, Chrysler bought back the vehicle and we went with a CR-V. We don't like it anywhere near as much as the GC, but at least I don't have to worry about my wife and child being stranded. I was chatting with another person who had similar issues and had theirs bought back as well. His second one? Same problems. I'm not sure how the Cherokee is faring yet, but you might check out some forums to see common issues. Perhaps since Jeep had a little extra time to examine these cars when they were held up for the transmission reprogramming they also got to fix any other common issues before they got to customers. I'd like to get another Jeep, so hopefully they get their act together!

• snowdog4snowdog4 Member Posts: 2

Hello all,

I appreciate all the comments. I would love to see more. I am puzzled why the Kirstie@Edmonds would provide a link to a Grand Cherokee when we are talking about the new 2014 Cherokee. BTW, at this point we are considering this vehicle or a Nissan Murano.

• bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited April 2014

The other day, I was leafing thru "Consumer Reports" Automobile edition. I like to check out what automakers fell into the BEST and the WORST categories. It was interesting to see their comments on Jeep.... They admitted they were unable to find ANY good things to say about Jeep products in any of the categories they judge.

I can tell you that I have relatives who work in the US Steel industry and they ONLY purchase Jeep products because Jeep uses only US-made Steel. (That is what they tell me)

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588

@bpeebles said:
    The other day, I was leafing thru "Consumer Reports" Automobile edition. I like to check out what automakers fell into the BEST and the WORST categories. It was interesting to see their comments on Jeep.... They admitted they were unable to find ANY good things to say about Jeep products in any of the categories they judge.

I can tell you that I have relatives who work in the US Steel industry and they ONLY purchase Jeep products because Jeep uses only US-made Steel. (That is what they tell me)

Even the new Jeep, that is a Fiat 500L clone?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• brucebolen1brucebolen1 Member Posts: 2

The upcoming new Jeep Renegade is based on the Fiat 500L platform with major modifications and strengthening. Nothing wrong with that. My 2014 Cherokee is based on a Alfa Romeo platform and has great handling and overall drivability. Shared platforms are common and cross international borders on a regular basis in 2014.

So, here's my final update to my 4/10 and 4/15 comments on our issues with the 2014 Cherokee Latitude: On the 18th the warning light again came on. The dealership had promised to 'make us happy' if the problem was not solved after the last effort. We are now driving a 2014 Cherokee Limited. While the solution to the vehicle problem remains elusive, the solution to our issue was more than satisfactory.
    If you track the case number that I left in my earlier post you will be able to learn what repairs were made.