-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Bad smell from heater

kevlar2kevlar2 Member Posts: 5
edited February 2014 in Mitsubishi
This is for a 2003 mitsubishi diamante. I have a really bad burning smell coming from my vents in my car it starts as soon as I start the car. Its not burning oil! I have been told it smells like burning electrical or burning antifreeze. So I was planning on changing out my heater core?? has anyone had this problem before?? This is my first car and i need it to commute to work please help!!!

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

What kind of Mitsu? Year?

• Options
    2003 mitsubishi diamante
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

I think I'd want to narrow the problem down before replacing parts, much less the heater core. That's usually a big job, lots of labor on most cars.

Doesn't sound like it's mold or mildew that you are smelling though.

• Options
    I was first going to see if the hoses are leaking or if it's clogged cause there is a little bit of white smoke coming from the engine bay right next to the fire wall on the passenger side. I also have a tiny pin while in the radiator I'm it possible for that to cause a smell that would come in through the air vents??
  • Options
    Tiny pin hole*
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

You might want to pressurize the cooling system with a pressure pump and see what turns up in terms of leaks. It doesn't take much of a leak to stink up a car.

• Options
    So I bypassed the heatercore with a connector and ran the air full blast for 20 minutes and the smells gone it also stopped running as hot as it was runs at half now not 3/4. Thanks for all the advice!
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

So what's your plan now?