Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Mercury Marquis Instrument panel/Electrical Problems

jag68007jag68007 Member Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Mercury

I have a 1999 Mercury Marquis and this morning everything but the ABS lights and Traction Control lights went dead including the radio and climate control. The engine continued to run just fine and the electrical started intermittently coming back on. When I would step on the gas, everything would go off, and when I would come to a stop, the instrument panel and radio would come back on. During all of this the ABS and TC lights always remained on and the climate control never came back on. Also, the blinkers do not work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

You might check #13 fuse for corrosion or loosness.

Otherwise, you may have to take it in to have the cluster itself diagnosed, or at least checking to see where the cluster plugs in, again for looseness or corrosion. The fact that when you step on the gas (in effect increasing voltage) suggests to me that there is excessive electrical resistance somewhere, in some connector or fuse.

a computer scan might also reveal some clues.

• jag68007jag68007 Member Posts: 5

Thanks. I'll try the #13.

• jag68007jag68007 Member Posts: 5

I'll add that it was definitely acting as if the entire car was losing electrical power because when things started lighting up again, a couple of times the door locks cycled.