Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Options
    just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    I saw one post here or on Usenet of a buyer in DC paying 2000 under MSRP. Personally I paid roughly 600 over Invoice for a XRS.
  • Options
    potroastpotroast Member Posts: 13
    It depends on the conditions U drive in.FWD is very adequite.If U needed 4WD in the past under those conditions then AWD may be worth it .And for those conditions Ice radials would be advisable and probably do the job as well as AWD.A lot of the tires sold in many areas are All season but not really best for all conditions and U would probably want a touring tire for summer roads.The big thing is the cost of different tires on Alloy rims.Just an opinion .
  • Options
    happythemanhappytheman Member Posts: 10
    I paid right at MSRP for my XRS. It's interesting that you have been waiting for your XRS for 2 months when the car has only been out for a little over 1 month! Did you pre-order your Matrix prior to it's release date?

Brantly
  • Options
    luckyeightluckyeight Member Posts: 9
    NEW HERE. GOT XR LAST WEEK COSMIC BLUE THE ONLY ONE AVAILABLE, WENT FOR IT WITH ALL OPTIONS EXCEPT
    FOR MOONROOF WITH FREE 5 YEAR SERVICE, 75K WARRANTY, $500 FREE ACCESSORIES FOR FUTURE USE
    SHY OF 20K OUT THE DOOR. AFTER DOING A LOT OF RESEARCH ON THE NET AND READING SOME OF THE POST ON OTHER BOARDS THE RED COLOR SPORTS VERSION LOOKS REALLY GOOD. A DARKER SILVER METALLIC
    COLOR IS WHAT I PREFER MAYBE DOWN THE ROAD
    WITH SIX, 200HP, HIGH TORQUE. THE 245-40 TIRES
    AND LOWER COIL REALLY ENHANCED THE LOOK.
  • Options
    ABOUT 109 OF THEM PLUS INFO CHECK IT OUT

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/*wieck_search?matrix

• Options
    agentmatrixagentmatrix Member Posts: 15
    Just wanna share my experiences with you folks...

Called Hayward Toyota for a quote. He wanted to sell me an AWD XR for $1200 or so over invoice. I negotiated it down to $800...and he said he needed to see if he can get the car (since it was on it's way from factory to another dealership).

The next day, I changed my mind about AWD and decided to get FWD based on this board's inputs. I called him back to tell him I'm now interested in FWD XR instead. He then quotes me for $1200 over invoice. I asked him what happened to the $800 over invoice like the AWD deal. He then says the other deal was for $1200 over invoice!!!! What a joker! I said thank you and hung up the phone.

Then I called Piercey Toyota. I got a new-comer sales guy who was wiiling to sell me a FWD XR pretty well equipped for $800 over invoice. I asked him THREE times if the car was on the lot. He says yes! I then asked h im to fax me a statement saying he'll do the deal for $800 over invoice. His manager then calls me up and says to me "Isn't my word good enough?". I thought, Ok, if the sales manager wants to put his reputation on the line, that must be pretty good. So I drive down there (45 miles) to find out the car's not even on the lot. And the car that I was quoted was already SOLD to someone else! Then they wanted me to put down a deposit for a car that is on its way to the dealership. This car has less options and they were gonna sell it to me with the same $800 over invoice. At first I thought, Ok, a week or two worth of wait is not bad. But then the sales guy was so clueless that I decided to take my business else where.

So S.F. Bay Area customers...don't give in to shoddy dealers! I will be writing to Toyota to express my disatisfaction of their dealerships!!
  • Options
    You got an XR fully loaded (except moonroof) with free 5 years of service, 75k warranty, and $500 free accessories for $20k out the door?!?!!?

You mean that's after tax and license?!??!

WOW! Where did you get this deal? What dealer did you get it from?
  • Options
    that's without navigation, 20k incuding tax and license. 2nd toyota car purchased (Highlander) in last the six months with same dealer Cerritos Toyota.

Modified Red Matrix color with lowered look, 18 rims 245 x 40 tires looks really good.
  • Options
    cletusredneckcletusredneck Member Posts: 10
    I live in the Bay Area(san jose). I ordered an XR Matrix from Fremont Toyota for 17,100 with a MSRP of 18,300. The dealer says it will take 3-5 months for it to arrive. The dealer said it would take longer because I ordered side airbags which are not included in any of the current XR matrix builds.
  • Options
    What other options did you have for your XR Matrix aside from the side airbags?
  • Options
    TupTup Member Posts: 200
    We currently have a 5 speed Subaru Forester S which my wife commutes with in the winter. We have a separate set of wheels with Michelin Arctic Alpins on them. We like the added traction of full time AWD which is always there...so useful in wet conditions as well. We bought a FWD Matrix which she uses during non-winter months and it gets great gas mileage...and has more rear seat room. However, the AWD system on the Matrix is FWD until it detects wheel spin. I think that type of AWD system may get better mileage but is not as effective as full time 50:50 AWD which has no lag time until the AWD kicks in. How much use are these part time AWD systems for wet driving?
  • Options
    southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    Oops I misspoke. I placed my order for an XRS in early February when they frist came out. I could have had one by now but I wanted one in red with a sunroof and there weren't any around.

How how do I try to get it under MSRP when the dealer says MSRP.
  • Options
    Sport Plus, ABS, Side Airbags, AL Wheels
  • Options
    echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    ...your dealer doesn't know his business. Side airbags ARE shipping on XR models - I have them in mine, drove it home a week ago.
  • Options
    thattreethattree Member Posts: 7
    There's one in Philadelphia now, and in the color I want. Too bad it has the DVD nav system, which I just don't want to pay for (or to have to deal with the under-seat CD changer).
  • Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    You may have been referring to me. I'm in the DC area, and my Matrix XRS MSRP'ed at $22,259.00. Agreed price was $20,689.00.

I have since changed my mind and ordered a XR model after getting to drive the XR and the XRS back to back. Didn't feel the XRS was worth the extra $1300. My price on the XR is $19,349.00. I don't have MSRP on it at the moment.
  • Options
    just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for the update
  • Options
    Ok, MSRP on my XR 5pd is $21,059.00.

Agreed price is $19,349.00.
  • Options
    civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    A couple of suggestions:

Call the Internet/Fleet Managers, rather than a salesman. Also, the term "invoice" can conveniently mean different $$$ to different dealers, so decide on your target price before tax and license.
  • Options
    dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    I don't know if you've been here, but if not, try Carmax Laurel Toyota. Ask for Joel Vittari. This is a very high-volume dealer who is discounting Matrixes below MSRP. Because they sell so many cars they seem to always have some on the lot. I walked in and walked out with a car very close to what I was looking for.

You can also check their inventory by going to www.carmax.com and selecting Maryland.
  • Options
    dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    Just checked Carmax's inventory, and Laurel Toyota currently has 6 XR and 1 XRS in stock.
  • Options
    drunkpenguindrunkpenguin Member Posts: 9
    Try Melody Toyota in San Bruno. I got mine there. Talk to the fleet manager Jeff. I got a FWD XR with the sport pkg, sport pkg plus, 6-disc changer, and ABS for 18700 (threw in floor mats too...hey, it's a small victory). It's not the best price, but at least it's much lower than what other Toyota dealerships around the bay area quoted me. As for side-air bags, I don't know where echowrangler lives, but none of the XRs coming into the SF bay area are getting side-air bags for the next couple of months. He is right about XRs coming with side-airs, but for some reason, they're not being shipped to the bay area currently. So cletusredneck is right, if you want side-air, you're dealer will have to put in an order (and it's a 2-3 month wait). I decided that I can live without one.
  • Options
    I decided to get a Rav4 4x4 instead :-).

Got it for $500 over invoice at Fremont Toyota.
  • Options
    fern88fern88 Member Posts: 42
    Hey All,

I test drove a manual and auto XR this weekend and found the auto to be much more sluggish than the stick. I haven't been able to drive the XRS yet but how does the auto XR compare to the the auto XRS? I drive in heavy LA traffic 3 days a week so I'm thinking about an automatic but the XR stick is sooo much nicer to drive.
  • Options
    oogumoogum Member Posts: 7
    I own an auto XRS, and as an 18-year-old male, I feel it's pretty quick. Admittedly, I haven't really pushed it (I'm trying to obey Toyota's recommended break-in), but my Matrix has done everything I've asked of it.
  • Options
    An auto XRS with the 180 HP engine is a waste of $$$. An auto XRS is pretty much a XR with rear disks brakes. You really need a manual to extract the power of the XRS. If your gonna stay below 6000 RPM on shifts then the XR and XRS are going to have the same performance. I'd say get a manual or automatic XR.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    That's funny. That's what GM said, too! No auto tranny on the 180hp jobby at GM!
  • Options
    osfan456osfan456 Member Posts: 8
    Sitting in an XRS with some goofy graphics on the side and some new rims, my local dealer was telling me about some of the stuff that TRD was planning for the Matrix. He told me they were planning a NOS kit. I sat there in disbelief. NOS from TRD??? Was this guy just nuts, or does this sound reasonable to anyone. I can understand Toyota wanting in on the Fast and the Furious crowd, but a kit which just begs you to blow up your enigine? That seems a little much to me.

PS- He told me there was a website showing all this stuff, but he couldn't find the link, and I have yet to find one myself. Anyone a better web-slueth than me?
  • Options
    I read that the automatic in the XRS is different and more efficient than the automatic in the base. Perhaps it helps with the performance.
  • Options
    xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    The address is http://www.trdsportparts.com/ but the server is down this morning at least. There is another way in:

1) go to http://www.toyota.com

2) type TRD in the search window

3) Choose 'Site Overview' from the search results graphic

4) In the alphabetical listing go to T and choose "Toyota Motorsports/Racing Development Catalog"

5) This will get you to the intro screen but the parts specific section might be down.

Hope this helps....

Oh BTW, I highly doubt TRD would ever make a NOS kit for the Matrix...it is very volatile and very hard on the engine for the manufacturer to support...now a supercharger, I can see that and soon (if you don't mind parting with 4 grand or so). They make superchargers now for Celica, Corolla (last gen), etc...

• Options
    Yeah, but did you notice that "reserve has not been met"? You know what that means, right? The seller is not gonna sell that thing for less than a given price which has yet to be met..

Brantly
  • Options
    southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    The XRS comes with a lot of things standard and so it isn't necessarily a waste of money. If you get an XR and add some options the price can quickly rise close to the XRS. I have selected the XRS because of all the standard options plus the higher horsepower engine. When I added all the features I wanted the price wasn't that different between the two models so I opted for 6 speed. Please don't tell us we are wasting our money. That criticism is a bit harsh.
  • Options
    I think the implication was that buying an Automatic XRS will not yield the performance potential of the engine.
  • Options
    I agree southpaw1...let's not critisize the versions and option levels, we have proud owners in here of everything from a base 5spd to a fully loaded XRS auto. I like all versions of the Matrix, they each have their plus and minuses. Truth be told, I would trade my XR for an XRS anyday, but I have just built a new house and the larger payment scared me off a little! Would I choose a auto over a 5spd?, that is a personal choice, I happened to go with the 5spd because I do a lot of highway driving...

NOTE: For those not ordering auto because you cannot hit your torque curve, no one is forcing you to put the car in D and step on the throttle. Don't forget you can make the car shift at the point you want by starting in 1st and nudging the shifter ahead at redline...this works quite effectively for top fuel dragsters and their sub 5 second passses. I have a little experience with drag racing and same vehicle, same engine an auto with a stall convertor (allows higher rpm start) will beat the standard 9 times out of 10...it would take a damm good stick driver to beat the auto. Why? speed of the shifts, the standard would get a little better launch however the auto will make up the time with quicker roll on shifts...that has been my experience anyhow.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    There is another review in today's "auto.com". The positive review states that the auto XR 4WD has "has decent acceleration, thanks in part to the perceptive automatic transmission" and although not particularly quiet "it's quieter with the automatic than with the manual". In summary... "the Matrix is a very appealing vehicle -- no matter what your age".
  • Options
    deagleddeagled Member Posts: 20
    Maybe those who say an XRS is a waste of money are just trying to make themselves feel better for not being able to find one, let alone afford one.

..deagled..
  • Options
    I can't speak regarding the automatic transmissions because I do not want one and thus have not driven one.

with regard to the differences between an XR and an XRS manual:

I priced out an XRS and a XR with the same options, there was an exactly $1200.00 MSRP price difference between the two.

For your $1200 you get

rear disc brakes - a nice thing to have

50 extra HP - but you have to kill the engine to get it, and when I reved it up that high, the extra boost wasn't all that great

an extra gear in the transmission - now this makes no sense, at 60mph in the XR, the engine was at 2500rpm, at 60 mph in the XRS, the engine was at 3250rpm. Both were in 5th and 6th gear respectively. Perhaps this accounts for the 5-6mpg loss on the XRS.

So I figured I could live with rear drum brakes for a 5-6mpg gain, a $1200 savings (which worked out to be about $1300 after discounts) and most likely a discount on my insurance.

Thus, I canceled my XRS order and order an XR.
  • Options
    deagleddeagled Member Posts: 20
    To each his/her own.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    An auto faster than a stick? That is new to me! That same torque converter that allows high loads also takes away some of the power. There are also fewer gears to choose from (2 fewer for the XRS)

Now if you have 1,000 hp and traction is your problem then maybe it is easier to mess up a start with the stick, but I don't think an auto would be faster in a Matrix.
  • Options
    c1rybickc1rybick Member Posts: 35
    ECT should help acceleration, not hurt it. That's what it's for. I drive a 1985 Toyota Cressida Station Wagon (it's old tech however: 2.8 inline Six, but only 12v and 156 hp). Generally, flooring without the ECT on, the transmission will shift around 5500 rpm. With the ECT engaged, the shift point moves up to about 6000 rpm (I have almost gotten it to the 6500 redline going up a steep hill, however). The transmission also shifts more abruptly, to change gears quicker. Sometimes I drive with it on, sometimes with it off. My car has 207,000 miles on it (and no, I don't drive like heck on four wheels hardly at all.....but I have tested the car out) and needs all the help it can get.

Anyway, I have an interesting dilemma. I'm currently interesting in buying (ok, I admit it, having my mother buying for me....I'm 17) a VW Passat, 1999 or 2000, base GLS 1.8t with nothing much more than the moonroof (and Monsoon if it's an '00). But, I've also noticed the Matrix, and the XRS sounds pretty cool. Mom's test driven the Passat, and liked it a lot. I might have to get her to the Toyota place sometime. I love driving my sister's Civic (which has VTEC and a 5-speed), so I'm only interested in the XRS with the 6-speed (.....maybe.....if I can convince Mom to buy me a new car)

I think the 5 door hatch design is pretty cool (and practical). It's definately no dorky station wagon (aside from one other white CRESSIDA wagon last year, I'm the only person at my 800 student high school that drives a wagon).
  • Options
    I remember in high school, I had the most popular ride around.....the School Bus!
  • Options
    Now that was funny...Yes Big V8, 5spd, Yellow with a black racing stripe, seats 40...I have seen it around!
  • Options
    According to the Matrix's factory repair manual the little box under the driver's seat is a voltage inverter assy. What is that. There were a few people that were originally of the opinion that it was an amplifier for the stereo, yet others feel that it is for the household outlet in the dashboard. Interestingly enough thought the repair manual lists this device under the "audio/video" chapter. Any thoughts or information?

Brantly
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    If it's an inverter then that would be for the household outlet. Inverters turn 12V DC into AC 115V.
  • Options
    mcgregermcgreger Member Posts: 40
    I think your confusing what I was saying in regards to ECT and the OD button. Your '85 Cressida and some later models(Camry and Cressida), had both an ECT and an OD button. For instance, if you were getting on the freeway, switch ECT to Power(or Sport mode?) and take the OD off. That combination gave you the best shift points for quickness but fuel economy would be lower. Once up to cruising speed, then you could shift back to Normal setting and put OD on for the best gas mileage. At least thats how I remember it-anyways on my '95 Tercel I only have the OD button and according to the manual you can leave it on all the time for better fuel economy.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    You are absolutely right. My 1986 Camry had this set-up. Apparently the new models don't need the ECT "power" button because the additional power and different shift modes are attained/activated automatically, depending on the pressure that is applied to the gas pedal. High School, that brings me back to the 60's... sex, drugs and rock & roll (the good ole days).
  • Options
    zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    For those who have bought a Matrix, I'm interested in finding out what sort of delivery dates you have been 'promised' by dealers. I bought a Cosmic blue XR with stick on Feb 16th at Don Valley Toyota in Toronto. They first said it would be up to a couple of months. Now they are now saying that I will get the car sometime in August! I understand that there could be a factory backlog with demand exceeding supply, but 6 months??
  • Options
    I won't see mine until May at the earliest.
  • Options
    izfuneyizfuney Member Posts: 7
    The prices seem to be off what's there on the
    other sites ( carsdirect.com , carpoint.com cars.com)
    2003 Matrix XR - 14157/- (destination not included)
    as compared 14641/- (destination not included)
    the difference seems to be close to the Destination charge .

What is the base price of the Matrix XR (excluding destination ) that people have used while pricing out their cars ?