Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Options
    hunter_20hunter_20 Member Posts: 9
    I called the dealer today....i'm hoping that the salesman is going to find a set from their service department.

Has anyone found a website or otherwise to buy accessories for the matrix besides the dealerships?

thanks
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Did they give you a reason why it would take so long? Did you put a deposit down? Which part of the Country do you live in? Curious to know why the delivery date is not until August. We ordered an XR 4WD on Feb. 16, 2002 with a completion date of April 19, 2002 and delivery approx. 7 days later.
  • Options
    zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Your guess is as good as mine. Yes, I put a deposit down. I live in Toronto. The dealer is Don Valley Toyota. The largest volume dealer in Canada. I must admit, I am little confused myself. I called around to a bunch of other dealers to see what the situation was. One thing was clear. In this part of the world there is a major shortage of manual XR's, particularly in colours other than silver/black. They explained that I bought it on Feb 16th, 2 days after the monthly cut off for factory orders, so the order would only go through the next month. Also, they have sold a lot of Matrix cars, and the dealer is only allocated a very small # of cars. Something like 5 - 10 per month. I hope they surprise me,and let me know that the car will be in earlier
  • Options
    xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    I ordered a silver XR manual in Feb and it will be June (so I was told) when it arrives. There really is a shortage of XR's in Canada. Normally the dealer can trade off for another unit but the other dealers do not want to give them up. 2 weeks ago a couple walked into the showroom wanting a silver base B pck auto and they are getting it this week! It is a bit frustrating!
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    "The largest volume dealer in Canada". Isn't that what the ads say on TV?

;-)
  • Options
    marybeth5marybeth5 Member Posts: 1
    My husband & I just loved this vehicle when we saw it for the first time this weekend. This may be "THE ONE".

I have one big concern -- when we opened the rear hatch (not just the window) rain water that had collected on the roof area poured into the back of the car. Has anyone else had this problem? The salesperson suggested that a piece of rain gunnel(sp?) may have come loose. He was totally baffled by what happened. Please let me know if anyone else has encountered this and how the problem was solved.
    Thanks, MARYBETH
  • Options
    drunkpenguindrunkpenguin Member Posts: 9
    This is for the people on this forum that haven't visited the "Matrix: Problems/solutions" board recently.

This is a cut and paste of a post by "canadaodyowner" :

"Visit http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/Index.cfm and search on NHTSA Campaign ID Number 02V074001 for an unpleasant surprise. I am going to call Toyota Canada tomorrow."

I'm a little worried since the Matrix is built on the 2003 Corolla platform.

• Options
    rpgropperpgroppe Member Posts: 24
    The defect is a failure on the assembly line for Corollas, not a design flaw, so hopefully it won't carry over to the Matrix. (Mine should be in by tomorrow!!!)

I pasted the summary below. My hope is that since the defect is corrected by the dealer making sure the bolts are tight, the dealers will be doing the correction without being asked when they prep the cars for delivery.

Defect Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR THE BOLT(S) TO BE LOOSE THAT JOIN THE REAR BRAKE AND HUB ASSEMBLY TO THE REAR AXLE CARRIER DUE TO INSUFFICIENT TIGHTENING DURING THE ASSEMBLY PROCESS.
    Consequence Summary:
    IF THE VEHICLE IS CONTINUOUSLY OPERATED IN THIS CONDITION, ONE OR MORE OF THE FOUR BOLTS COULD COME LOOSE, CAUSING AN ABNORMAL NOISE FROM THE REAR AXLE AREA. IN THE EVENT THAT ALL FOUR BOLTS LOOSEN COMPLETELY, SEPARATION OF THE REAR BRAKE AND HUB ASSEMBLY FROM THE REAR AXLE CARRIER COULD OCCUR, WHICH, IN THE WORST CASE, COULD LEAD TO A LOSS OF VEHICLE CONTROL.
    Corrective Summary:
    DEALERS WILL PROPERLY TIGHTEN THE BOLTS. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING APRIL 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.
  • Options
    oogumoogum Member Posts: 7
    toyotaparts4u.com and toyotaguys.com both have some Matrix accessories. And you're welcome.
  • Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I just got back into town.

When I was at Costco I saw the sign for their auto buying service. I had already placed an order with a dealer for my Matrix XR, but I figured what the heck and called Costco.

They gave me the name of the dealer nearest me who was affliated with the Costco program. I called them and got the price. It was $300 less than the bargin basement price I had before, and best yet, they had a Matrix XR allocated to them (supposed to be built tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed).

So, if BJ's doesn't have the service, I highly recommend the $40 membership fee for Costco. It saved me $2100 off MSRP.
  • Options
    I agree with you 100%, I want my CD changer system to cycle thru all the CD's on it's random setting, not just playing one CD's tracks randomly then changing CD's.

I fully tested the CD system that comes with the Nav system in the Matrix, and I can tell you it works great. For the random function, you can tell it that you want to play all tracks on one CD, then go to another, or, you can have FULL random. It will play one track from one CD, then switch CD's and play another random track.

You mentioned that factory cd-changers don't really offer full random. The cd-changer in my '99 Caddy STS did (made sure it did before I bought it), and if I remember correctly, most of the stereo systems that I tested when I got my caddy (in 99) did offer full random.

Again, I would not recommed an after market Nav system. They are quite expensive. I think a full Alpine system (which is a GREAT Nav system btw) is over $3000.00

Nav was the MAIN driving force on my decision of vehicle, so I tested the Toyota system throughly. I find the Alpine system (found on Hondas and Acuras) to be superior for ease of use, but the Toyota system was a VERY close second, and it offers much more features, such as memo reminders, and service reminders.

If you have any further questions on Nav systems or such, please let me know.
  • Options
    I have recently purchased a XR Matrix with 17" rims and the sport/performance tires...p215/50zr17. However, i really didn't want the sport tires.....i wanted the practical and economical matrix, but the dealer had the sporty and fun matrix on his lot. the sales manager discounted the car, so the costs of the tires was minimal, however, i like the look of the smaller tires a lot better. Would anybody be interested in a trade? The car has 55 miles on it, so there is no wear. thanks.
  • Options
    bgcrewbgcrew Member Posts: 7
    Scott31. I think we should trade email addresses. mine is wfrankfo@wilmington.edu I would like to catch up with you and talk to you about this stuff. drop me a line.
    -bgcrew
  • Options
    echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    ...since driving my XR off the lot. 27 MPG. Mostly 35-45 mph around town, a couple of brief 60+ dashes on the freeway. A/C on about 50% of the time.
  • Options
    just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    Well, really a question on the CD changer. Could you take a look and see if your CD changer says Pioneer on the front. I'm also curious if the CD changer supports CD-text and CD-r. The manual XRS with Nav I looked at had a Pioneer changer.
  • Options
    raven18raven18 Member Posts: 33
    Scott31, thanks for getting back. I am familiar with the costco program, my problem is that when I went to their website the matrix wasn't on the list of vehicles they offered- I went to the site on 3-26-02. I live in California, so I guess the inventory must be small, or just this area isn't offering the matrix because of high demand. Talked to costco rep., they said it may be offered in the future. Keeping my fingers crossed-I have 4 months before my current lease is up.
  • Options
    luckyeightluckyeight Member Posts: 9
    http://www.cityscope.net/~daryl/toyota.html

I WILL CHECK LONG BEACH GRAND PRIX FOR ANY FIXED UP MATIX AND PARTS ON SALE THIS COMING WEEK

• Options
    Hunter_20

"Would anybody be interested in a trade?" I would love to trade with you, however I am not getting my vehicle for 8 weeks or so...I would trade with you right now if I had it! I am getting alloys with P205/55R16 tires.
  • Options
    XR_Matrix,

Your profile says you live in Canada...I'm here in baltimore, md....

how would we exchange them....i didn't give it much thought when i posted the message. the easiest thing to do would be to meet somewhere....and swap. But canada to baltimore is quite a trip. shipping rims and tires is probably pretty expensive.

let me know if you have any ideas.

thanks
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I live in Baltimore as well (but do not own a Matrix) and was told it would cost like $60 or something to ship rims from some state in the Midwest (don't remember where) to here. But when shipping to Canada from the States, it can get quite expensive. I would bet $100 easily.

Also, here's something to think about. If you are going to trade for smaller wheels on your Matrix, you best be sure the 17" wheels don't have more lug nuts than the others. If the hub's different or the brakes are different, the swap will not work out.
  • Options
    edpfsedpfs Member Posts: 14
    Picked up our Indigo Ink XR 2 days ago. Have only driven it a couple of times for short jaunts. Not sure if the ladies along the route were smiling at the car or the good looking fella driving! ;)

In DuPage County west of Chicago - still have not seen another one on the road. Salesman says they have been selling them as fast as they get them in. Said one kid was desperate for one, but all they had on the lot was a standard. So he asked the salesman to teach him how. The salesman (whom we've now bought 4 cars from) said the kid was hopeless. He drove him back to the lot and was wondering how to talk the kid out of buying a car from him, and the truck drove up with a black base model auto on it. Put a sunroof in to convince the kid to buy the lower model.

This is primarily my wife's car. I am 6'3" and I cannot BELIEVE the room in the passenger seat!

The dumbest thing I have noticed yet is the little coin-holder slot L of the wheel. Also a little surprised the stereo had a CD but no casette. No biggie.

The dog seems pretty happy in the back. Tho yesterday she was full of mud and burrs after I walked her. Oh well. In a family with a dog, new cars don't stay new all that long. Haven't tried cramming all 3 kids in the back seat yet. When doing any extensive driving, we'll pile into the Sienna.

Drive and construction both feel really "tight" and "solid," especially compared to the 98 Corolla we traded in which always felt a bit mushy to me. Pickup does not seem extraordinary, tho I don't plan on pushing it for a while yet. Exhaust sounds quite different than my old (near-silent) Corolla.

The steering wheel is really nice. Is it (and the shifter) actually wrapped? Also like the red instruments, tho they will take a bit of getting used to. Really neat how, if you have the rear glass popped and then open the hatch, they join together when the hatch opens fully.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my keyring. Already have a remote entry for the Sienna. Don't think I like having 2 remote fobs on my ring. Decision, decisions.

It sure is fun driving a car with single (now double) digit mileage. Our whole garage smells like "new car." And it is fun driving "THE" hot new model.

The kids have already named it - "Minnie, the mini-minivan."

I look forward to checking it out more this weekend. Will post full figures when I get the chance. Think it was very slightly over $18G out the door, including tax, title, fees, etc. Few extras other than mats, rear bumper guard.
  • Options
    Thank for the info....i checked with the parts department....the p215/50zr17 tire and rims have the same height as the p205/55r16 height. The brake pads are the same. the only time brake pads appear to be different (according to the parts department) is for the 130hp vs 180hp engine. The lugs are identical, i checked last night. I'd like the dealer to trade the 17's for the 16's b/c i didn't want them in the first place...and let him know before we agreed on the car....so i'm hoping they'll accomodate me.
  • Options
    dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    Yeah, I'm very happy with it. It's fun to drive and can carry a bunch of stuff. I have only minor complaints, like the bright trim around the gauges can cause some serious reflections in your eyes when the sun is in the right position.
  • Options
    hpulley4hpulley4 Member Posts: 591
    http://just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=37620&dm=yes

I didn't see this mentioned before but sorry if it is old news.
  • Options
    dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    Thanks for the link! I'm glad to hear that the recall only affects Corollas and Vibes made in GM's NUMMI plant in CA.

This kind of thing is the reason I would rather wait for a Toyota than buy a Vibe.
  • Options
    I'm getting the 16" wheels on mine (because I decided to go with the moonroof). I'd be very interested in a trade, and I'm local to you (Northern VA) so no shipping involved.

Let me know.
  • Options
    If anyone has an Indigo Ink Pearl Matrix, can they post a picture? It's the color I ordered, but I had to decide on the color by looking at another vehicle (Highlander I think). Would really like to see how it looks on the Matrix.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Sorry, I haven't gotten my Matrix yet (supposed to be built today), so I can't tell you.

I can tell you that it does play CD-R's (as that is what I used to test it when I played around with it).
  • Options
    I didn't even use the website. I called the Costco ph#, they gave me the ph# of the participating local dealer, who quoted me a price. Whole process took 5 minutes.

Now, if I can just get those nice teamsters to play ball, I should have mine by the end of the month.
  • Options
    inkiinki Member Posts: 15
    just posted some pic's in the Owner's club photo section. It's a neat color: sort of a dark metallic royal blue.

(of course I am geeked enough to have pictures online already; helps with the separation anxiety when I'm not driving!)
  • Options
    Hey inki;

Nice looking Matrix...it is so filthy do you ever wash it ;-). I am curious on your wheels...are they factory wheels? They do not look anything like the ones we crazy canucks get!

xr
  • Options
    Thanks-- yeah, they're just the factory 16" but I like 'em! What do you canucks get?
  • Options
    The indigo ink is a great color....my first choice but the only 5speed i could find was in silver.....when are you getting the car. I've had mine since tuesday 4/2, so only 100 miles....

email me and we can talk about the details.

thanks
  • Options
    just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    That helps me out because I was planning on putting all CD-Rs in mine. I'm pretty sure that the changer supports CD-Text. Everything I've read says that all Pioneers now do and the changer in the XRS I looked at on the lot had a pioneer. I may go ahead and put CD-text on the discs since even if it turns out to not support it, the CD-text should just be ignored.
  • Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    The odo is around 2,500 at 60MPH, if I rev up to 7,500 it means the max speed is 180HPH? has anyone tried max speed?
  • Options
    Would be happy to e-mail you, just need the address.
  • Options
    Scott31...my email is cjl1816@yahoo.com

thanks
  • Options
    TupTup Member Posts: 200
    Inki:

Are those wheel covers? Here in Canada only the base Matrix comes with wheel covers. I'd say 90% (base with "B" package and XR/XRS of Matrixes have alloys.
  • Options
    Tup, the official verbage on the wheels for the US base Matrix is: "P205/55R16 tires on 16" steel wheels with full wheel covers" So yes, they're covers and they're steel, not alloy. [I guess the XR sport package gets the 16" alloys?]

The base Matrix wheels on the Toyota.ca website look pretty funky-- I think I like ours better!
  • Options
    thanks for posting the picture.

The Indigo Ink on the Matrix looks a little darker than the Indigo Ink I saw on the other Toyota vehicle, but it could also just be the light.

either way it looks great and I can't wait to have a blue car again.
  • Options
    Won't be getting my Matrix any time soon.

Dealer told me the factory rejected the order. Seems they don't like putting Nav systems in XR's in this area.

He's going to try to see what he can do, but even if everything goes 100% right, won't see it until June.....

ARUG!!!!!! I hate Toyota when it comes to getting a car.
  • Options
    zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Just thought I'd let those that didn't know that there is a comparison review of the P5 vs WRX vs XRS in the latest Motor Trend edition. All ends well. The XRS came out on top overall. I thought that the reviewers would have put the WRX on top with it's power, but no. It was a well balanced review that took a number of real world factors into consideration like cargo space, fuel economy etc....I'm not saying that I wouldn't want a WRX, just passing the news....
  • Options
    Picked up my Matrix today. Metallic Blue base unit, front wheel drive.

I was on the phone with Geico at the dealer, and they tried to tell me that it would cost $5,200 per year to insure.

I nearly dropped dead, I was wondering if they knew something about the car that I didn't. (I had gotten a quote of about $1,800 last week) After arguing with the rep for about ten minutes,I hung up and called back. Got a different rep and got the right price with the same info. Go figure.

Anyway the car looks beautiful. Handles nicely, but since I had to drive it back into Manhattan for a family thing I wasn't exactly trying to give it the full test run.

Giving my new Matrix with the sticker still on the window to a parking attendant on 55th St. in Manhattan is not an experience I was thrilled to be undergoing. I greased him $20 to keep it parked by itself next to the office- money well spent. It would break my heart to get a ding the first day.

Going to give it the full Zaino treatment over the weekend, then put some miles under the wheels.
  • Options
    TupTup Member Posts: 200
    $5400.00!!!! wow, what reason did he give for that price? Maybe you were supposed to send the check directly to him? So if that was the "Better call geico" cheaper price, what would the regular price have been?!?
  • Options
    There's the occasional idiot working everywhere.

They fixed it, so I can't complain too much, but it was a hell of a scare.
  • Options
    c1rybickc1rybick Member Posts: 35
    I had the opportunity last night to sit in an unlocked Matrix after the dealer had closed. It was a silver XRS with the nav system. Retail was about $22,400 or so. Because I'm in the Southeast, the car had the Bazooka sub taking up cargo space, a $600 rustproofing/scotchguard junk package, etc.

But the versatility of the Matrix was pretty cool. The thing looks like it has the same cargo capacity as my Cressida wagon, although the Cressida's a lot longer (but nowhere near as tall, of course). I liked the Matrix because it was roomy and very easy to get in and out of. The six-speed was fun to play with, too. I was impressed by the plastic on the backs of the seats, and the way they formed a flat cargo floor.

My only concern were the guages. I hate the chrome rings around them, and would definately see about getting plain metal trim to replace them (aftermarket). I'm also not sure about the red lights of the speedometer or the way the needle hangs downwards. But that's the only complaint I have about the car. Everything else is super. I'm actually cross-shopping a 99-00 Passat and the Matrix, and the newness of the Matrix is compelling, if we could get one for a decent price (my mother would NEVER pay MSRP for a car). Through persistance she got a good price on the Cressida (which was an even rarer car than a Matrix is today), and I think she could get a decent price for a Matrix.
  • Options
    thattreethattree Member Posts: 7
    There is an XR with navigation listed on the website of Central City Toyota, in Philadelphia:

http://www.centralcitytoyota.com

I came across this while looking for a Cosmic Blue XR with automatic and side air bags; I want to keep my price paid under $20K, so nav (and this car) is out for me. I actually can't tell from the listing which transmission is on this car.

• Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    I could stuff 11 bales of pine straw into the back area.

For online buyers, visit priceline; Priceline sends multiple requests to different dealers, they will compete for your business, which is better than other online portals.

I am very happy with my wife Matrix, comparing to my lowly sport car; I feel like riding a cloud(height) when driving the Matrix.
  • Options
    1matrix1matrix Member Posts: 47
    Can anyone out there who owns a Matrix XR confirm whether this vehicle really comes with a "lockable illuminated glove box" and "interior mirror-mounted maplights"? The U.S. version of the 2003 Toyota Matrix brochure and Toyota's website both list them, but I'm not sure I've seen them.
  • Options
    edpfsedpfs Member Posts: 14
    FYI - we traded in a 98 Corolla for our Matrix. Insurance (State Farm) will be $16 more 2X/year. Matrix is classified as 4-door midsized car.

Ours is indigo ink - it is a VERY dark blue.

We are over 100 miles - most of it stupid errands around town. Took it on the expressway (at 55) for a short jaunt, and after that it seems to run smoother.

The red guages and chrome were different for me, but you get used to them quickly. IMO, they look kinda cool.