Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Options
    tomkisttomkist Member Posts: 6
    The XR does not come with reading lights or a lighted glove blox. Ours has a light on the moonroof controls that the frontseat passenger can control, but it's too bright to be just a reading light. I believe the auto-dimming mirror option has built-in reading lights.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Based on my talks with fellow WRX wagon owners, we would've and/or never even considered a Matrix. Not because it's not a good vehicle but because it's not in the same class as the WRX wagon. Hint: We WRX wagon owners did not buy the wagon for it's cargo carrying capabilities, that was just icing on a very sweet cake. That's the real world 411 on the WRX wagon. :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I will call them immediately, thanks!
  • Options
    Arug, it was a show vehicle, build for an AutoShow....can't get another one....

Thanks for looking out for me!
  • Options
    zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Hey Barresa62. No problem. You mention that the WRX is not in the same class as the Matrix. That may be true, and the reviewers included the car in the comparison just to shake things up a bit. The XRS fared quite well actually, and easilly out handled the WRX through the slalom. Even though the WRX had higher performance rubber. That's them saying that, not me. I understand that cargo capacity may not be a big requirement for you. I'd like a WRX too, just ' a little' out of my price range.
  • Options
    The slalom speed would've have been different if Subaru had equipped the wagon w/the sedan's 20mm rear swaybar instead of the 17mm. This is also an upgrade offered through the dealers the same as the 17"BBS wheels the testers included. I have the 20mm rear sway on mine and 17"wheel/tires. I daresay I could out-slalom the Matrix XRS, nevermind in the slippery stuff where the AWD would definitively outshine.

I do agree though that the testers included the WRX to mix things up a bit and that the Matrix (especially the XRS)is a great vehicle. I do think that Toyota/Pontiac are missing the boat by not offering the more powerful engine where it's needed most...on the AWD model. :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    alexjr1alexjr1 Member Posts: 19
    I was just wondering anyone who has the 1.8 180h.p w/auto has driven it enough to give me a good idea of how it is on the highway. I would like to know if it has excessive wind noise or if it has weak passing power. I would also like to now how it is of the line I like to race at the lights. Also anyone who has the nav is it DVD based and how good is it?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    From what I have read, you really need a 5-speed to take advantage of the extra power in the 180hp version. That's why the Vibe is only offered that way. They said the auto 180 is not much different than the 130hp auto version.
  • Options
    Yes, it's a great system, and it is DVD based, I only wish the SOB's at Toyota would let me have it, sigh!
  • Options
    joee1joee1 Member Posts: 16
    Go to the Honda website and take a peek at their new Model X.

Forget about the Matrix, high prices, dealer stickups and Toyota's lack of availability.

Hang tight and get the car you really want.
  • Options
    leafguy2727leafguy2727 Member Posts: 83
    That thing looks disgusting!!!!!! I need not say anymore
  • Options
    edchenedchen Member Posts: 31
    I had a problem starting my Vibe. It was fine for the first week or so but then it would not start. It did start the first time the roadside assistance guy tried but then failed after that. He started it in neutral after which my Vibe has started fine. So there seems to be an intermittent neutral start switch problem. I did try the neutral start myself but couldn't figure out how to get the transmission from park to neutral. Now if the manual said turn the ignition to on and then shift to neutral I could have figured it out. Maybe it does say in the transmission section but shouldn't it be in the starting section too? :) Oh well, just letting you all know. May or may not affect Matrix owners.
  • Options
    The Honda Model X almost makes the Pontiac Aztek look good! That's saying something! :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    paintballguy59paintballguy59 Member Posts: 2
    i just recieved my matrix in. I got the auto but i plan to get a manual once my lease is up. I got the xrs with all of the goodies. This car is perfect. The nav system is great, same as one in lexus except no touch screen. If you use the L and 2 gears on the auto you can get great acceleration and dont forget to turn that pesky o/d off. I love this car!!!!
  • Options
    joelisjoelis Member Posts: 315
    "Forget about the Matrix, high prices, dealer stickups and Toyota's lack of availability."

Under $20k for a very well equipped 'XRS' or 'XR AWD' - you call that high priced?

Dealer stickups? - we were just offered $1000 under MSRP on our choice of either lot or order.

Lack of availability? - see below...

Even though I tried to talk my wife out of it, she still wants one (either Vibe or Matrix), so now I'll try to get her the best deal possible at least.

We were just at the Toy dealership who currently has 6 of them in (4 were base though), 1 was XRS and one was XR, but no AWD right now - but one coming in next week.

Decided on Matrix over Vibe due to 11 point difference in residuals - 66% vs 55% on a 2 year lease - that works out close to $100 month savings for a similar equipped vehicle.
  • Options
    alexiskaialexiskai Member Posts: 21
    I live in the Toyota Southeast region. I have a quote from a dealer for the base model Matrix with only automatic and cruise control, plus maybe $100-200 worth of random stuff like floor mats, for $16,400 "out the door," meaning including tax, tags, fees, everything included.

Is that a good deal? :) The dealer says it's "$250 under invoice," but I trust car salesmen as far as I can throw their product.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Ya.. like Honda dealer's are giving away cars. Get real.
  • Options
    rpgropperpgroppe Member Posts: 24
    That's about what I paid for pretty much the same model. (2WD Automatic) It seems to be the going rate. I didn't get cruise control, so you're doing better than I did.
  • Options
    autonutsautonuts Member Posts: 138
    to know how anyone out there that owns a matrix with either awd or 2wd with the 130 or 123 h.p. engine version feels about the acceleration carrying a full load. (people, luggage, other belongings?)
  • Options
    rljacorljaco Member Posts: 7
    Hi, we have finally decided to get a cosmic blue Matrix AWD, sports package, sports plus package, floor mats (therefore getting ABS, moon roof, etc.). We are in SF Bay Area, Calif. I am confused re pricing as two people on this board in March say they paid $18,600 or so, whereas the TMV is showing $20,300. This is a huge gap. Can anyone tell me what I should pay for this car? Thanks.
  • Options
    just_some_guyjust_some_guy Member Posts: 52
    My suggestion would be to figure out what the invoice is from Edmunds and Kelley's calculators and start from there. Some pretty good advice I read in the Remar Sutton book was if you didn't want to haggle alot take 3% of the MSRP and add that to the invoice. That's what I did when I ordered my Matrix XRS from the dealer. I got no arguement from them and I ended up paying 1700 dollars under MSRP. I would really suggest that you read the Remar Sutton book "Don't get taken every time". The newest edition covers buying at the dealership and online. He's a little weak on his grasp of computers when he covers things like cookies but all together it's a good book.
  • Options
    coakleysdcoakleysd Member Posts: 32
    Check out www.matrixvibe.net.
    Great resource for matrix/vibe owners.
  • Options
    echowranglerechowrangler Member Posts: 23
    Barf! Looks like a Hummer raped an Aztek. And all that lovely grey plastic!

Happy with my XR in Honolulu.
  • Options
    IF that metamorphous was a movie it'd be rated Honda XXX!

Stephen
  • Options
    One thing that troubled me in negotiating a price is that there wasn't a lot of agreement on what the invoice for a Matrix actually is. Edmunds.com gave one figure for the combination I wanted, the Consumer Reports New Car Price Service gave another, and two dealers (speaking independently) gave me still a different figure. Consequently the price I paid may have been $250 under invoice or $500 over invoice, depending on who I trust. Is anyone else encountering these inconsistencies?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
  • Options
    loperslopers Member Posts: 8
    The invoice price listed on Edmunds does not include manufacturer's advertising fees that are passed along to the dealers and added to the invoice total. Should consumers pay for this? Probably not for a car that is in excessive supply like a Honda Civic, but new model cars such as the Matrix and Vibe seem to be in limited supply and you may not be able to get around it. In addition, some dealers like to charge "processing fees" which can be any number up to $289 or possibly even more. I think adding 3% of MSRP to the invoice price as posted previously is a good indication of a fair purchase price. As an FYI, another good site to find the invoice price is carsdirect.com
  • Options
    In my area it's called a "documentation fee," and although Consumer Reports recommends you try to get this waived, nobody seemed willing to budge on it. This is why I opted to negotiate using the "out the door" figure. It allows the dealership to slice the pie any way they choose, i.e. to save face by appearing to drop the price of the car under invoice when in reality they're just dropping the fees (which they'd rather not do officially).
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Just picked up our new XR (2wd, automatic, cruise) last week and have about 300 miles on it. Since we don't have the moonroof, we DO have map lights built into the mirror.

Pleasantly surprised so far with the handling and ride quality. ALso noticed that it is pretty quiet at 70mph too.. Only complaint so far is the legibility of the odometer. Very difficult to read in the daytime.. Radio features are awesome for a lo-ball car..
  • Options
    drunkpenguindrunkpenguin Member Posts: 9
    Hey rljaco, I'm believe I'm one of the people you're referring for the price on the Matrix. The first thing I noticed when you're trying to compare the price I said I got and the TMV price listed here is that I did not get AWD. I believe the AWD adds an additional $1500 to the sticker price. Also, edmund's current TMV on the Matrix is the exact same as the MSRP price. No one should be paying MSRP price on the Matrix in the bay area. I've driven past several Toyota dealerships lately and I've been seeing the same Matrixes (Matrices?) sitting on the lots for over a week. Also, I noticed that the south bay dealerships were easier to work with, although I eventually bought mine at Melody Toyota in San Bruno.
  • Options
    filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    can you share how much less msrp you paid for your matrix.. i agree with you that while it is easier to deal with the south bay or even east bay dealerships, you can still get a good price around here like melody if you have done your homework... my experience with melody is when i bought a previa when it first came out (first week I think) and a pickup.. never paid msrp thank you
  • Options
    rljacorljaco Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your comments concerning pricing. I too see a $500 gap in the invoice price reported by KBB as compared to Edmunds. I don't know how to resolve that and arrive at a true invoice price for purposes of adding 3% of MSRP. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    wilczywilczy Member Posts: 15
    To owners of XRS

I have some questions, maybe someone can help:

What is the difference between Climate Control and A/C? (is it only clean air filter)

What deal did you get if any? (CAN only please)

Is the glass tinted?

What kind of rims did you get? (if possible please post a picture)

Thanks All!
  • Options
    drunkpenguindrunkpenguin Member Posts: 9
    rljaco: I've seen some major differences in invoice pricing all over the net. While I'm not the super informed car buyer like most people on these forums, I do believe in doing the groundwork. I think the invoice pricing is merely a tool and a starting point when it comes to negotiating price. I honestly don't believe that the dealer invoice price is really the ace up a buyer's sleeve as it once was. Several dealerships around the bay area were more than willing and readily able to show me their actual invoice break-down. Don't ask them what their dealer invoice price is (most of the time, they'll probably tell a white lie here and there)...make them take it out and show you the break-down. From my experience, when I compared the dealer invoice cost break-down with what I printed out from Edmunds, there were exactly the same (as far as the car's invoice, and all the additional option's invoice). I think alexiskai's post brings up a good point about all the additional fees like "documentation fee". Work the numbers from an "out the door" stand point. But the one truth to any purchases on a dealership lot is this: Don't ever both talking to any sales rep. It's a waste of time. Ask for, and deal directly with, the fleet/internet fleet manager. It almost certainly cuts the BS by at least 60%. :-)

filod: I ended up only paying about $700-800 (depending on how you look at it) under MSRP. This was about a month ago. I'm not sure what the market for Matrixes are like now, but back in early March, I couldn't even find one on the lot to test drive, let alone negotiate on price. So I think I did okay on the price. I honestly believe that people in the market for a Matix can get better prices than I did. But at the time, I really needed a car, I knew I wanted a Matrix, and I didn't know whether or not I'll have to wait 4-6 months for the next shipment of Matrixes.

I think the worst place I saw was this one dealership asking for a $3000 "dealer markup" on a XR. The dealership even had the nerve to suggest that "We can negotiate on the markup price"...as if they were making some great concession.

And you are right about doing the "homework" on a car you plan on purchasing. I had a really great experience at Melody Toyota. But I also think that my stack of print-outs and online price comparisons helped with the price too. In gerneral, I just found that some of the south bay (and east bay) dealerships were really eager to help with answering any of my inital questions regarding the Matrix, while most dealerships on the pennisula just gave me the: "We don't really care about your questions because we can sell two Matrixes without really trying, so we're not going to try. You want a brochure...go to the toyota website."
  • Options
    webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    How can you tell what is the true invoice price? The dealer posts one on their web site, they show you a photo copy of a computer printout, with stuff omitted, or liquid papered out, not the actual print out they photo copied, and there are significant differences between Edmunds, and KBB. The 3% thing may be fair for a new model, if you pay cash, because it seems like the dealer will get you with a trade, or financing. So where do any of you think is the most reliable place to get "Dealer Invoice" prices??? Carsdirect.com still seems not on the money.
  • Options
    southpaw1southpaw1 Member Posts: 34
    I'm finally picking up my XRS tonight. I've been waiting for one since February. I wanted red with charcoal interior a sunroof, manual of course. I had a deposit down at one dealer and they kept giving me a different story on when it would come in. Then they promised it a certain week and called me that week to tell me the car didn't exist yet. They also insisted on MSRP.

I finally found the car I was looking for on the internet at another dealer. They wanted 1,000 over MSRP but I was able to get it a few hundred under MSRP. I think it is hard to bargain when availability on some of the models is still very low. I would have liked to get a better deal but I saved a bunch from the price the first dealer wanted so I am happy and the first guy still says that combination hasn't been built yet.
  • Options
    edpfsedpfs Member Posts: 14
    259 miles of lousy quality errand running garnered 22 MPG. The gas warning light is just a small orange dot. But, it was obviously enough to get my attention! ;)

I second the observation re: the readability of the odometer/thermometer.
  • Options
    izfuneyizfuney Member Posts: 7
    Picked up my Silver XRS yesterday .

Pretty basic NE model with the disk changer / All weather package & Floor Mats ( didnt come with the 17 inch wheels ?! )

Opinion :
    Its Sweet !! extremely sweet ! Definitely worth the premium over the XR.
    Its a solid vehicle . A big plus over
    the Mazda Protege 5 .
    Drove the base 4WD Automatic ( for some reason then the only matrix's to be had were automatic ) as a test drive . Loved the practicality hated the performance / noise.
    Decided to ante up the difference for a XRS.
    ( having previously driven a 2K+ celica GTS , I could attest that while it wont wow any torque enthusiasts , its a lot of fun )

End Analysis:
    for 18.6K +TTL i have 4 door Matrix XRS with the Celica GTS drivetrain .
    Pricing:
    Edmunds pricing is all wrong for this ride .
    Not only is their invoice incorrect ( cross chech with Carpoint.com / cars.com ) their TMV
    is way off base.

U can get this car for Anywhere from 0.8K - 1K less then MSRP.

Problem is that XRS's ( manuals ) are rather thin on the ground . So u have to weigh the possibility of paying a slight premium or sticking it out for a month or so .

Question:
    whats with the 17inch wheels . A lot of the new XRS's in teh NE seem to have dropped teh 17 inch rubber . (not that it matters as Summer tyres are a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] up here what with the generally inclement weather ) .
  • Options
    natmc_comnatmc_com Member Posts: 1
    Hey check out my site http://www.natmc.com . Its a Toyota Matrix Club forum. Just set it up last week!
  • Options
    Anyone get a Matrix yet that has the Side Air Bags? So far I have not been able to find a single allocation here in the 5 state area in the midwest region.

Why would they advertise it if they are not putting any in?
  • Options
    I ordered an XRS with side air bags and one dealership I looked at had an XR and an XRS with side airbags. I'm in TN, don't know if that helps you or not.
  • Options
    ...my XR has side airbags. I've had it for a little over three weeks now.

Jim

Honolulu, Hawaii
  • Options
    ...26.8 mpg. XR, auto, a/c on a lot lately - it's been hot.

Jim@Honolulu
  • Options
    zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    1800 miles on odometer-31.4 miles per gallon combined highway and around town.No real need for a/c in northern NJ yet,however.
  • Options
    1matrix1matrix Member Posts: 47
    After a few inquiries, it seems the only item originally planned for the Matrix but not included in the model year 2003 production vehicle is the "lockable illuminated glove box." The current glove box is neither lockable nor illuminated. But I'm sure most would agree this is no great loss.
  • Options
    socal_racefansocal_racefan Member Posts: 17
    I was out today and when I got home my brother-in-law had left a message on my machine telling me that he had seen a Matrix “pace car(s)” leading the CART cars at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach on TV today. I had run across some photos online of a custom green Matrix that was intended to be a “Pace Car”. I’m not sure if this car would have been one of the ones he saw. If you missed it like I did and want to see it, the race will be re-run tomorrow 4/15 at 5:00pm Pacific on the “new” SPEED channel. I would think the best shots of it would be at the start of the race. You may want to check your local listings and double check on the time.
  • Options
    just_some_guy - well, I guess its reassuring that you've actually seen an XRS with them. I hear that the side bags are very scarce to begin with, and couple that with trying to get it on the XRS which is only a 5% allocation - It will be interesting to hear if your order comes with it.

The local dealership in Minneapolis showed me the build sheet for all Matrix for the month of April for all upper midwest dealers - only 17 XRS's out of 350 total cars. 14 of these were with sunroof, the other 3 without. NONE of them were coming with Side Airbags, OR 6 disc changer, OR 17 inch wheels.

Basically they told me "you get what Toyota feels like building and sending to us". Sorry, I'm not putting any money down on that kind of BS.

If I am putting money down to order a car and have to wait 2 months for it, I want it EXACTLY how I ordered it, and not 4 or 5 months down the road either.

Is that that way Toyota always operates?
  • Options
    xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    After some re-thinking and some creative accounting in my budget, I have just called my dealer and asked him to change my order from an XR to an XRS...It is about $3200.00 (can$$ that is...that is what about 250.00 US ;-)) more based on the retails only. From what I have been reading I am thinking it is worth the extra money for the more options and power. He is working on it but not sure he can change the order as my XR was slated to be built in May and we are getting pretty close to that...just thought I would let y'all know...any opinions on this being a good or bad thing to do?
  • Options
    Joelis,

I'm pretty sure I'll get mine with Air bags. I think the dealer understands I won't take any garbage from him and he can't afford to let my deal go. If mine doesn't come EXACTLY how I ordered he loses the deal, period. There are four other dealers within an hour drive that will then get a shot. The dealership is undergoing major renovation right now and I'm one of very few sales they've made in the past few months. Basically what the dealer has to do is sell one Matrix to get the right to sell another. When they've earned that right they can ask for their Matrix to be configured a certain way.

Xr,

Personally I think you'll be happier with the XRS. Yes the extra power is only there in the higher revs but it is there. I have a feeling that the XRS is going to be more interstate worthy than the XR.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    It's a personal thing. Most articles I've read indicate that the XRS may not be worth it. It only screams at 6,000 - 6,500 rpms. You have to have a heavy foot and like driving fast to enjoy the benefits. I understand that premium fuel is recommended. The insurance rate may also be higher.

Your dealer should have no problem changing the order. However, the wait time may be extended. Good luck either way.