Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Matrix

Comments

• Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    We ordered an XR 4WD in mid February from a small town dealer. At that time we were given a vehicle completion date (late April). The car was delayed by approx. 10 days. Picked it up in early May. I guess we were lucky.

On the subject of high demand and availability, I'm not sure how any dealer can have many available. Do the math and figure it out. Toyota's current manufacturing capacity is 75,000 Matrixes a year. There are 1,420 dealers in the US and Canada. Based on these figures each dealer would receive 52.82 vehicles a year or 4.4 vehicles a month. Some of the larger dealerships will probably receive more while the smaller ones will likely receive less. This may explain why some wait times are long.
  • Options
    dogtrainerdogtrainer Member Posts: 96
    You keep saying that ABS brakes are irrelevant outside the snow belt. I totally disagree. First of all, the Southeast region includes some areas like MD and VA where it does snow occasionally. More important is that you are wrong about the utility of ABS on other than snowy/icy roads. I lived in Florida and had the ABS activate several times when the road was wet. Even on dry pavement, the wheels will lock up, and then you lose all steering ability. It's much safer to be able to brake and steer, and I've avoided a couple accidents this way. The fact that you can't get the ABS equipped car you want in your area doesn't make sense, but doesn't mean it's not needed elsewhere.

You went from a Matrix to a MINI COOPER!?! What a difference! From a medium sized cargo hauler to a roller skate. Sounds like you didn't define your needs at all before you started to shop.
  • Options
    footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    You are right about ABS down South. They can make a difference on wet roads.

We have the need for ABS here year 'round and it's very frustrating not to be able to get them except by buying a 4WD Matrix on which they are standard or an XRS. Particularly since the 4WD have even more sluggish performance than 2WD.

Car shopping for some folks, including me, may have a somewhat broader window of what 'fits our needs' than your own definitions.

Here was my hodgepodge list:

The cars I looked at were Matrix XR/XRS, Cooper S, Lexus IS 300 SportCross Wagon, and Subara WRX Wagon.

Edmund TMV's range from the low of 18,750 for the Matrix, 2Ok for the Mini, 22K for the WRX and 28K for the IS300. That's a big price spread.

The Mini is definitely the smallest of the lot, though surprisingly close to some of the others in critical measures.

The Mini has lower front headroom than the Matrix by 1.8", the Lexus and WRX are in between.

The Mini has 2.2" less rear headroom than the Matrix but is only .1" lower than the Lexus and .2" taller than the Subaru.

Other measurements are similar. Remarkably the Lexus has the worst rear leg room.

The biggest surprise was in wheelbase. The Mini, though 28 inches shorter than the Matrix, is only 5" shorter in wheelbase. It's also only 2" shorter in wheelbase from the Subaru. The wheels on the 'rollerskate' are really planted in the corners. The Matrix and Subaru have lots of nose.

Gas mileage is good on the Mini topping the rest given its smaller engine and lighter weight at 43 mpg. It has the same capacity as the Matrix.

Of course the Matrix and the Subaru have the most hauling capacity, the Mini is way behind even with the back seats down. The Mini and Subaru are pretty much the performance leaders. The Matrix XR trails the other 3 significantly, the XRS comes closer on pep, but needs lots of shifter flogging and high revs which further aggravate a very buzzy engine.

My order of finish was Mini, Subaru, Matrix, Lexus. I had looked at a BMW 325xit wagon and it would have finished 10th on this list of 5 cars.

I think I'll like my skate when I get it.
  • Options
    iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the responses on the break-in period. I started out trying my best to keep it at 55 or below, but found it exceedingly difficult (and sometimes dangerous!) to keep the speed that low, so I instead went with the idea of keeping it under 4000 rpms. That was much, much easier to do. I'm right at 1000 miles, and everything is running fine. Gas mileage still seems to be hovering around the 28-30 mpg range, which I think is pretty good considering that it's just getting out of the break-in period. On the '96 Corolla I used to have, the mileage actually improved dramatically when it went over 35,000 miles, so I'm hoping that will be the case here, too!
  • Options
    1matrix1matrix Member Posts: 47
    I ordered a Matrix back at the beginning of April, and was originally told the wait would be 3 months tops. Just a couple of weeks ago, the delivery date was moved to August 13, for a total wait of 4.5 months. The Matrix I ordered is an XR 4WD with the Navigation system, so I can understand why it may take longer to get such a vehicle here in SE Texas.
    When I wrote Toyota to inquire about special ordering their vehicles, their response was that the RAV4 EV is the only car they are equipped to do it on. All other custom orders are arranged through their dealerships, with no official policy on delivery times.
    This can be very frustrating, to say the least, but hopefully Toyota is working to improve their build-to-order system. I read BMW does a great job of it in Europe.
  • Options
    Here in the Gulf States region, I've noticed that supply is low on the Matrix XR and XRS models, but plenty of Base models seem to be available. Part of the reason may be that, although Toyota targeted the Matrix at younger buyers, the people actually getting them have been older, more "affluent" shoppers, who can afford the XR and XRS upgrades. This is something that some car-reviewers thought might happen since the introduction of the Matrix in Feb.
    Toyota has a reputation for building high-quality, dependable vehicles that usually sell at a premium (to more "affluent" buyers). So, no matter how much they lower their prices, young people are probably going to stick with their Volkswagens and Mitsubishis and Hondas because these are the "cool" brands for entry-level cars.
  • Options
    For an interesting review of Toyota's 4WD/AWD systems currently in production in North America (including the Matrix's V-Flex AWD system), check out:

http://www.cartrackers.com/Buyers_Guide/Consumer_Advice/Features/PID.21096.22139413102.1.html

• Options
    Here in the Gulf States region, I've noticed that supply is low on the Matrix XR and XRS models, but plenty of Base models seem to be available. Part of the reason may be that, although Toyota targeted the Matrix at younger buyers, the people actually getting them have been older, more "affluent" shoppers, who can afford the XR and XRS upgrades. This is something that some car-reviewers thought might happen since the introduction of the Matrix in Feb.
    Toyota has a reputation for building high-quality, dependable vehicles that usually sell at a premium (to more "affluent" buyers). So, no matter how much they lower their prices, young people are probably going to stick with their Volkswagens and Mitsubishis and Hondas because these are the "cool" brands for entry-level cars.
  • Options
    shemphillshemphill Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the Matrix XRS here in Hamilton, Ontario are. I am definitely leaning to the Matrix after my experience with a 1990 Corrolla SR5 - still going great.

One frustration I am having is that it appears that Side air bags are not available on any models of Matrix in Canada? But they are in the Vibe. It seems like a Vibe GT retails for about $27,500 vs a Matrix XRS (STD) which is $24,600 - A big difference for one feature IMO.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Not having side air bags would not prevent me from buying this type of vehicle. If they are that important to you, negotiate the best price possible and buy the Vibe. Both have Toyota's motor and transmission. Good luck.
  • Options
    smiweesmiwee Member Posts: 6
    We picked up our 5sp cosmic XR last week. A fun car that will be more enjoyable after breakin period! ;-)
    As mentioned by others though, the NE option choices are frustrating. Knew we could get Vibe with all of what we wanted, but wife prefered Matrix styling. Wanted both side airbags and ABS, but with Matrix had to decide between one or the other. 17" wheels and ABS,or Moonroof, 16" wheels and side airbags.Wifie's car, so went with side airbags and moonroof.Probably next years upgrades will make both standard. Oh well.
  • Options
    semanticssemantics Member Posts: 51
    I feel so badly for you guys in Canada and southern areas who have such a wait for Matrix -- or Matrix with NAV. It's not a long time for wait here in my area, and pretty quick for a NAV car. Reading the last 20 or so posts remind me of reading the PT Cruiser boards back when we were waiting for ours in 2001. Matrix is a very cool, very fun car, awesome with the NAV and the 6-disc CD changer. It's worth the wait. But, persevere, because they are around!
  • Options
    wilczywilczy Member Posts: 15
    Hi Everyone!

To tell you the truth it wasn't that expensive for me but only because it was our project with my brother in law. He is in europe so I had to wait until he send me everything and still I am waiting cause not everything is on the car yet haha but he also said that he can do another set for $400CAD + S&H

Mine contains: 2 stripes for each side (black and red) + 2 small stripes for hood (black and red), MATRIX shaded sign for each side + hood, 4 white TRD logos, 2 red TRD logos, Toyota Racing Development for windshield, Toyota logo for back glass.

+ 10 hours of very hard job to put it on :)
  • Options
    lacoynlacoyn Member Posts: 1
    My Radient Red XR 5 speed just came in on the truck today. I took it for a quick test drive tonight and pick it up for good on Thursday. Man I can't wait. I hate to tell you this but it was ordered on 6/17/02, was built last week, and came in today. Don't ask me how they did it but I'm not complainin. Good luck to the rest of you who have them on order. I'll let you know how much I love it after I drive it for a while. Chow for now!! :-)
  • Options
    wilczywilczy Member Posts: 15
    Hi Everyone!

To tell you the truth it wasn't that expensive for me but only because it was our project with my brother in law. He is in europe so I had to wait until he send me everything and still I am waiting cause not everything is on the car yet haha but he also said that he can do another set for $400CAD + S&H

Mine contains: 2 stripes for each side (black and red) + 2 small stripes for hood (black and red), MATRIX shaded sign for each side + hood, 4 white TRD logos, 2 red TRD logos, Toyota Racing Development for windshield, Toyota logo for back glass.

+ 10 hours of very hard job to put it on :)
  • Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    My friend made a loan of 5,500 for 24 month. The rate is 11%. That loan officer of Bank of America gave me the APR rate of 13% because she factored in the interest rate!! plus 100 fee. Is this a ripped off?
  • Options
    andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    13% sounds pretty high. It does depend on what state you live in, your age, and your credit rating. If you want to know the spread of interest rates for your area, go to www.bankrate.com. This is an information website with lots of good articles about managing money as well as seeing bank rates. From looking at the list, the highest rate listed was about 11.75%, and that was in New York State. Take the time and shop around, Phankane. When my husband bought a truck in March, we didn't want to go with the manufacturer financing, but the finance manager at the dealer was able to find us a good rate at a local bank. A credit union is also a good option if you have one available to you.
  • Options
    Hi phankane,
    Take a look at Edmund's home page and click on the TMV link to 'Rates in your Area' ( down a little on the left side ). It might give you a good idea of what to think about a rate quote.

It also indicates that interest rates are apparently a function of your credit rating. For new cars, if it's real good, then rates in the 7% range appear typical. Worse goes up to 11%.

I don't understand the comment about the $100 fee. Why is she charging you $100 to make the loan?

If she includes the $100 fee in the amount financed and that goes to $5600, then that is about the same as $5500 at 12.8%.

Your loan is a pretty low amount for a car loan. I would shop around for a better rate and perhaps no fees.

Good luck
  • Options
    bpotykbpotyk Member Posts: 1
    I've had mine two weeks so far and love it. I put gas for the first time. So far it's right on the numbers. I have a super white XR 5sp. I actually went to the Toyota dealer to buy a Tacoma Crew Cab(Hated it). The Matrix with a stick is a blast to drive. Pretty much got one that is loaded out. Any one else have one with a sub installed by the distributor? Mine has a kicker in the back that screws into one of the tracks. Also anyone have any thoughts on the TRD Air filter? I not looking as far as a perfomance gain rather never having to buy more air filters. It's dusty in South Texas so I do oil and air filter changes every 3k.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    My kid had a slight encounter with a light pole in a parking lot. Scraped a spot on the front spoiler down to the bare plastic, a slight scrape on the fender and sprung both such that there are 1/2" gaps between them and the headlight.

He went to both Toyota dealers in town and got estimates that are $300 apart (the higher one where we got the car.) Do you think the higher one is padded or did the low cost guy miss something? The estimate read very close but the time estimates for the same repair/refinish were much higher on one than the other. $300 is the difference between filing an insurance claim or not.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You are a better person than I am. Kid or no kid, I would have killed them banging up my new car. Of course, I don't have kids right now so I can't really make a judgement on that yet. :)

I would think it unlikely that the first shop missed something though. Prices just vary pretty widely in the repair business.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I think he felt worse about it than I did, especially after he admitted the pole didn't really jump out in front of him.

Reviewing the estimates closely, I think the low guy did miss something. There's nothing about the fender and that's scraped and bent slightly. The plastic bumper repair estimates were virtually identical.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    My advice? Strongly consider getting the body work done where you get the car serviced, especially if the dealership is small enough to know its customers. Having all your repair work done at the same place will pay off in spades if you ever need a fast repair in a bad situation. Been there, done that.

OTOH, if the dealership is very large, probably doesn't matter at all...
  • Options
    webguysterwebguyster Member Posts: 434
    And not an aftermarket, nobody should be able to tell the difference. It's going to probably get banged up again, and either way gets aftermarket paint. The dealers are always more expensive, but not necessarily better. About using the dealer for service, that's a BIG yes! My advice, try to use the same service advisor each time, for when something breaks that is not under warranty, or is up to them if they will repair it. While waiting for the repair, maybe chat with the parts dept. guys, cuz sometimes you can sweet talk 'em into giving you parts at wholesale.
  • Options
    zukhovzukhov Member Posts: 34
    Does anyone know if the TRD air filter is compatible with the XR? I'd appreciate it if anyone has input on that. Thanks.
  • Options
    Just got back from our first long trip in the Matrix. Drove from our home in Maryland to Hilton Head, SC for four days (stoppeed overnight along the way), then to Charleston for two days, then home with an overnight stop. The longest driving time was about 5 1/2 hours.

Still loving the car! It is stable on the interstate, and a pleasure to drive. Set the cruise on 75, put in 6 CDs and go. The only problem was when I came upon a turtle race (18 wheelers trying to pass each other going uphill.) It was brutally hot and humid so we had the AC on constantly. Even so, I got about 28 mpg, including driving around Hilton Head and Charleston.
  • Options
    pickymartinpickymartin Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys,

Just picked up my XRS last Friday. Man, it's a beauty in white and my girlfriend insisted nicknameing it 'belle'... It now has 400KM, can't wait till it breaks-in. Sorry about the late post coz I've been spending all the time on the driver's seat rather than a computer seat. The weather has never been this hot in Vancouver, B.C. and I'll take this great opportunity to take some photos.

For those of you who are still waiting, I would say don't give up, i had waited almost 5 months and this baby drives like a sports car, sits high like a SUV, looks like a wagon, loads like a truck, it's all worth it :)
  • Options
    thirthir Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to carry a bicycle (may be the front wheel removed) "inside" either Matrix or vibe?

If not, which midsize/small wagons are good enough to carry a bicycle inside?

Thanks in advance

Thiru
  • Options
    The Focus has the bike kit!
  • Options
    xr_matrixxr_matrix Member Posts: 96
    FYI Thule ( http://www.thuleracks.com ) has (finally) completed and tested their fit kit to make a Thule 400 foot fit the Matrix. You need a 2119 fit kit, a 400 Aero foot and 2 50" load bars and voila you have a removable thule rack. Mine is coming in a day and I will try to upload a picture when it arrives...

XRS 6spd with 6200kms

• Options
    "The Focus has the bike kit!"

You're not really recommending the Focus are you? I hope not, after 8 safety recalls and two more under investigation for little things like engines that die at speed and collapsing front suspensions.

Thir would be better off just riding the bike everywhere!
  • Options
    After following, all too closly, the Toyota sludge fiasco, and there unwillingness to recall 3 million cars that can potentially fully sieze at 13K with 1 oil change, I am not too sure of Toyota reliablity. I personally have 23-25 dealer visits (reciepts) in 2 years 4 months, with my current Toyota.

I am following the Matrix, cuz it is a practical vehicle, and is not too costly, and the local Toyota dealer is open until mignight, with no appointment required for service ever. That is the only reason I am trying to remain brand loyal to Toyota. I would rather a recall, than no recall and many problems, and too many TSB's!

No, I am not recommending the Focus, but sooner or later they will get all the bugs out!?! It does have the bike option!
  • Options
    microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    Has anyone come across a trailer wiring kit yet for the Matrix XR? Last time I looked, about 6 weeks ago, no parts places had a listing for it, nor did the shop that installed the hitch..
  • Options
    How much weight can a Matrix pull???
  • Options
    iwphilliwphill Member Posts: 48
    1500 lbs
  • Options
    library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    You can also put a bike rack on a hitch like at: http://www.hitchrider.com/trikes.htm or http://www.draftmaster.com/t.html or http://www.badgerrack.com/welcome.htm

These can even hold recumbent trikes!

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    have a Toyota with an engine that might (approx 1 in a million chance) quit and have to be replaced FOR FREE than a Focus with front control arms that can break right off, causing loss of control of the vehicle, and possibly my premature death!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    newdadnjnewdadnj Member Posts: 1
    I just had conversations with a few NJ dealers, and they tried to convince me that they cannot order vehicles with specific features that I want. They say they get what they get, and that's it. Does that make sense? I have never had a problem ordering a car before. Is this specific to Toyota? Could I order the features I want if I want the Pontiac Vibe?
  • Options
    fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Has anyone driven the 180 HP Matrix with the Automatic?
    And why is the Vibe 180 HP not offered with Auto? Seems pretty shortsighted to me. In fact, the whole combo of HP and transmissions is screwy.
    The AWD needs the higher HP but it gets the 123Hp engine. Surprised Toyota is behind this fiasco.

Just wondering if it is worth my taking a test drive.
    Any feedback please.
    Frank
  • Options
    I looked at a Matrix earlier this year. Since I live in Boston and we have a real mix of winter weather here, I wanted ABS on a 5 sp XR 2WD.

It can be ordered but probably won't ever show up, I was told at a major dealer, because Toyota isn't building ABS cars for New England.

So if I want a car like the one I do, I have to go to Baltimore. They have them and can get them.

If you are looking for a Toyota Matrix, go to their web site and do 'build your own'. Try different zip codes instead of your own and if the 'popular' packages pop up with the option mix you are looking for....
  • Options
    montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Andrew, yes posts have indicated that "ordering" a specific equipment level on the Matrix is all but impossible. Yes, you could order a Vibe with the options you what if they are compatible. What the options you want?

Frank. AWD requires a change in the exhaust system to fit under the car. This restricts the exhaust, and costs the engine the 7HP compared to the base FWD. Pontiac elected not to offer the Automatic Transmission with the 180HP engine because the 50HP extra do not kick in until you go over 6,000RPM. The Automatic uses shift points in the 4,000s. Therefore the base engine actually is quicker 0-30 then the high performance engine. To not disappoint buyers they do not offer the Auto. As far as it being a waste of your time, I do not have enough information to make that judgement.
  • Options
    As to whether a test drive is a waste of your time...

Assuming you are really looking to buy a car, it all depends on what you are looking for. If you want a speed racer, save your time, this is not it. OTOH, if you want a cargo and people hauler that is economical to run and fun to drive, it may be just what you're looking for. I have an XR with automatic, and when I'm merging onto an expressway or entering a major highway from a stop, I want the pedal on the floorboard. Especially if the A/C is on. In fact, I frequently turn the A/C off at those critical minutes. When I'm cruising along, and want to pass someone, no problem, just punch it.
  • Options
    jgreilingjgreiling Member Posts: 4
    I have a base Matrix that I bought in March, and am curious about something. My wheel covers seem to be made out of a very soft plastic. I managed to scratch two while parking the other day. What I want to know is if Toyota offers other hub caps that are made either out of metal or a harder plastic. I've had other cars with plastic hubcaps but none as soft as these seem to be. I really don't want to spend too much money on replacing these. Am willing to consider any affordable option. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    Stay away from the curbs, cuz these are expensive. My .02cents, see if you can make friends with the parts guy/girl, cuz you might luck out and get 'em at wholesale, or around 50 percent less! May even get a nice service manager to put 'em on for free, too! I had a Cavilier in 97, and it liked curbs. Since I have alloys on my Toyota now, I take my chances parking further in the street, than risk $400.00, retail, for a new wheel.
  • Options
    phankanephankane Member Posts: 57
    For auto box, If you want to quick acceleration, turn off the Over drive; turn it back on when you are on high speed.
  • Options
    matrixchick1matrixchick1 Member Posts: 3
    You can get a set of 4 wheel covers on ebay for about $20. Buy four and save the other two for the next time you scratch.
  • Options
    "For auto box, If you want to quick acceleration, turn off the Over drive; turn it back on when you are on high speed."

I'm not an auto engineer, but I really question the truth of this one. As far as I know, overdrive is a 4th gear in the transmission (possibly with converter lock-up?) that only kicks in above a certain speed. If you put the pedal on the floor and keep it there, the engine will wind up to maximum rpm allowed by the transmission in each gear. The only effect of having overdrive off would be that the final shift into 4th gear would not occur. This may be a slight advantage in the final stages of acceleration, but you risk overreving the engine. IME, with the pedal floored, you reach highway speed (65 - 75) before that slight advantage would mean much. Also, the problem is in getting momentum and engine RPMs this happens before the full throttle shift point from 3rd to 4th.

If I've got this wrong, please explain phankane or anyone else.
  • Options
    samsvr6samsvr6 Member Posts: 59
    You are right. Turning the OD off does not improve acceleration from a standstill. OD is equivalent to 4th gear. The OD reduces the rpm when cruising at highway speed, thus improving fuel economy. It also reduces NVH when engine is turning slower.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if you are already cruising along at 30 mph, and want to get up to, say, 90 in a hurry, you should flip that O/D off - this car will shift into top gear at very low speed in partial throttle driving, so as to save gas, and flipping off that O/D will cause it to shift back one gear immediately at that speed.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    If you're cruising at 30, and want to get to 90 (more likely 70) in a hurry, just mash the pedal to the floor. The transmission will downshift one or two gears (depending on initial engine rpm) and you'll get there just as quickly. I think Toyota has it right when they say that you should leave O/D on except when additional engine braking is needed. IME, turn it off whenever you need any engine braking at all, because I cannot feel any with it on.

You also need to be careful when you turn it off, as the engine can rev up pretty high if you're going fast at the time.