Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Reader's Rides & Photos

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    edited April 2014

@nippononly, don't know what we set it at (the default varies from 4 to 50mb depending on where you look).

@nyccarguy, pdf files are okay to upload but it looks like your Beretta is attached as a file and not showing up "embedded" in the post as a photo (typically a .jpg).

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,745

That's exactly it, the Horizon was fun because you had to work at it to go fast, and according to my dad, it handled well for a malaise economy car. He also claimed it was the best snow car he ever owned. I remember going pretty fast in that thing.

I don't have any pics of my Galaxie, I don't think there are any pics of the old Fords my dad had either - I'd love to find one of the 60 Country Sedan. I think there's a pic of my dad in the 50s on one of his motorcycles, I'd like to find that. My siblings are lucky, both have cars captured on google street view.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 32,622

When we married my wife had an 84 or 85 horizon. 2.2l automatic. Fantastic in snow. Tranny even worked like a sequential manumatic.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 13,245

After my Beretta, I did a 2 year, 1 pay lease on this 1998 Ford Explorer Sport

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,923

@nyccarguy said:
    1992 Chevrolet Beretta GT - My 1st car

Hey, that was a pretty cool car back in the day!

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup
  • MarkHolthoffMarkHolthoff Santa Monica, CAPosts: 101

Here's the full version of my avatar, which is a shot of my 1991 500SL (in the mirror of a friend's E320 wagon)...

1991 Mercedes-Benz 500SL

Let's try this again. Without further adieu, my 1992 Chevrolet Beretta GT

Here's my 2000 Saab 9-3 (leased from 12/99 - 12/02)

Saab.jpg 435.6K

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 12,126

The car I STILL bitterly regret selling- my 1988 M6:

M6.jpg 43.5K

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,726

@[email protected] said:
    nippononly, don't know what we set it at (the default varies from 4 to 50mb depending on where you look).

Tried again, it is a 3MB jpeg, no luck, oh well. At least this reminded me I didn't have good pic of the SI yet - it's nice to get at least one when they are still new. ;-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

edited April 2014

Maybe you can try compressing it? There's several online sites that will do that if you don't have some sort of photo editor. I just tested a 4.4mb upload and it worked fine. Feel free to email it to me if you want me to try a test.

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,855
    edited May 2014

This site seems to have stalled out in traffic. Too bad as there are lots more pics like this one arond. This is of my BILs (The Doctor) red garage. (all red cars) 67 or 68 Camaro, 2008 Shelby GT 500 and a Ford GT (his favorite)

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Not sure why, but once again my pic doesn't appear. Hmmm

edited May 2014

I wonder if you managed to type over the "code" when you entered your text. Got it reinserted.

So, is your BIL a hematologist? :)

I like that collection. That Ford GT is very pretty in red.

I'll have to log in from the desktop to dig up some pictures. none on the laptop. Should get ambitious and scan some of the old ones in out of the photo album.

@[email protected] said:
    I wonder if you managed to type over the "code" when you entered your text. Got it reinserted.
    (Thanks)
    So, is your BIL a hematologist? :)

That took me a second to "get it" Hema=blood=RED. No he's a surgeon type doctor.
    Just once I want to drive that GT to see what it drives like. I'll bet it has feel of the racetrack!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,398

Here's one photo I made of my new Malibu

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

Nice! I'm starting to see them on the road more and more. Very sharp!

I have to admit I have warmed up to the new Malibu. I used to think didn't look better than the previous model, but it does have a sharpness to it now.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on Mark's 500SL. Love it - a white R129 is such a 90s dream.

Much nicer than the previous rentabu.

edited May 2014

the wife's baby:

the Odyssey hidden in the background.

My former mid-life crisis toy:

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 12,923
    edited May 2014

Good angle on that Acura shot! It's best to avoid the front end on those. :p

2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2008 and 2013 Subaru Forester(s), 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup

Nice, Stick. Good quality vehicles all around. I'm waiting to see what Imid has to say after you pretty much called his new set of wheels a rent-a-car. I'm sure you meant well.

I like the new style. it was the previous generation. I don't rent all that often, but every time I do I seem to end up with a prior generation malibu with 40K on it. We affectionately call them Rentabus.

Hey, it's better than the old Iraqui taxibus!

@stickguy‌

The Miata looks great & I really dig your RDX. The secret must be out on them because I rarely see them, but I must have seen a dozen f them in the past 2-3 days.

have to look close. They look a lot like the new MDX, especially in profile. Different headlights and the tail is a bit different.

The Miata was bright. It did have a lot of scratches on the trunk lid though for some reason. Fun car, but I rarely got to drive it. And barely fit. The newer models have a little bit more room. At this point, not only couldn't I get out of one, I might not be able to get in!

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,398
    edited May 2014

@mako1a said:
    I'm waiting to see what Imid has to say after you pretty much called his new set of wheels a rent-a-car.

Actually, I thought I'd just overlook that remark as not deserving a response. But I changed my mind.

It's tiring to see certain scapegoating of various GM aspects go on and on because others hear them and assume they're true and that it's okay to repeat them over and over. It's like like toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyunda, don't have any cars they put out in the fleet and rental market.

I look at the continual perpetuation of the Aztek jokes. Certainly the Juke and Element along with certain Hondas and HyKias have odd-looking choices. The Aztek in solid colors certainly is not as different looking as the ones with contrasting add on panels. Also, the period of time involved when it was dressed out was a factor.

Actually part of the reason I bought this Malibu is because I had a rental Malibu about 4 years ago that was nice. I loved the drive. My sister-in-law had one when she was home for her father's funeral. She has a lot of rentals as a flight attendant for United. The rental I had was however an LS. GM should require the leasing/rental companies to purchase autos that are more upscale rather than the base trim. Note that from what I can tell there are option packages that add some certain features to the LS that are fleet only.

I hesitated putting up my picture of my Malibu 2LT with options added. It's hardly a "Rentabu."

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

your car is nice looking. huge upgrade over the last generation. I sat in one at the car show, and the interior was snazzy. And the ones I got in the older style always seemed to be higher mileage, and base level (which frankly was probably designed by GM specifically for rental companies). I did have one a couple of years back for a business trip to Virginia was actually an enjoyable drive. decently equipped, and road well overall. But ubiquitous in rental fleets.

rental companies getting the absolute cheapest model (probably only sold to them) certainly does nothing for the public perception of certain models. And for the new style, yours certainly doesn't have that problem, but I also doubt I will ever see one like that at Hertz.

That's still a problem with rentals across the board - most are base spec. Even for premium cars - if you are lucky enough to get BMW/MB/Infiniti etc rental in the US, chances are the option list will be almost nothing. Every now and then I see a better optioned GM rental (Impala or Cruze LTZ usually), but the majority are basic. As rental cars might influence purchases, this might not be the smartest idea for makers when supplying rentals. Ford seems to supply more nicely equipped rentals than GM or Chrysler, as I have seen endless amounts of Limited and Titanium trim cars in fleets.

And strangely enough, or maybe not - in Europe, you can find really loaded rentals. My last rental in Germany, an A8, was loaded. Different world I guess.

Regarding Aztek, I think eventually it will become a special interest car - it already has a cult behind it. I don't know if the same will happen to Juke or Element, as they aren't as unashamedly odd.