Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1987 Mercedes 300D -Changing headlight - help

nuwavenannuwavenan Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
My headlight when bad and I'd like to change it myself, but don't have the cars owners manual. Does anyone know where I can find this information online? Or how to do it? (there are wipers over the headlights)

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Do you mean the bulb burnt out? If so, you dont need to replace the whole headlight (at least I don't think so). There should be a replaceable halogen bulb accessed via the back of the unit. You should be able to turn the bulb attachment (the plug where the headlight wires end at the center of the back of the headlight) until it frees itself from the headlight unit and than just pull out the bad bulb and snap into place a new one. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes. Hope this helps.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Don't know if that is only a bulb replacement, but if so, DON'T TOUCH THE NEW BULB with your fingers...use a piece of cloth or tissue.
  • nuwavenannuwavenan Member Posts: 2
    There is water inside the entire headlight and I'd like to replace the whole thing...is it something I can do myself?
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    I assume that it is a one piece headlight....no halogen bulb insert. It is a job that you can probably do yourself. Tricky part is to figure out how the bulb comes out. The bulb is usually held in place by a metal ring, and that is held in place by a few screws. A haynes manual ought to have the procedure how to do this.
    I had the same thing happen to a 83 ford ranger. Bulb was about 1/4 way full of water. Still worked too.
  • achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    I had a 87 300 E. The bulb is an easy repair. There is a plastic ring that holds the bulb into the back of the headlight assembly. Turn it about 1/8 turn and the bulb will ppop right out. Be careful not to touch the new bulb. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.