Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Water coming out near engine by black hose..??? (Video Link)

thaartistthaartist Member Posts: 3
edited May 2014 in Pontiac

Was at the red light and noticed my temperature hand was all the way in the red, i panicked because this has never happended before, then i suddenly heard something "burst" then coolant started leaking all over the road,i pulled over and the car temperature hand went down,then 5 min later while driving it ran back hot, so i pulled over, let it cool off, then drove, repeated this like 3 times and just pulled over and called my mom to pick me up and ill let the car sit for a bout 2 hours to let it cool completely off. Return that night and drove it all the way back home, didnt run hot until i got in the yard. I noticed that when i Pour water into the radiator its comes right back out near the engine near a black hose, dont know the exact location but attached a video and picture..let me know what you think is wrong.
Video Link Watch Video*****
[URL=http://tinypic.com/r/2pyt24m/8]View My Video[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Can't see too well in that video but it looks like some kind of coolant by-pass hose---in any event, what happened is that you lost coolant and then car overheated. Driving it that way was probably not a good idea but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

What needs to happen is that hose will have to be replaced, then the cooling system filled up and the entire system pressure tested with a pump, to see if there are any other leaks. If not, you can drive the car and cross your fingers that you didn't do any damage from the overheat.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    edited May 2014

@thaartist said:
    Was at the red light and noticed my temperature hand was all the way in the red, i panicked because this has never happended before, then i suddenly heard something "burst"

That's one of one or one of two coolant bypass tubes. They are plastic. There are o-rings on each end for sealing. Some crack and start leaking. The heater water goes into a tunnel in the metal frame of the idler pulley then to that elbow and into the intake manifold. If water comes out of there as fast as you pour it in, you need to have your car towed to a good shop.

Do not drive the car when it's low on coolant. These engines rarely have head gasket problems, but that's a good way to warp the heads by overheating.

The repair involves taking off the 3 or so bolts that hold the alternator on and then 3 or so for the belt tensioner and pulling those two tubes out of the block and intake manifold. Replace with Dorman METAL bypass tubes available at your local box store like OReilly's, Checkers, Advance Auto for about 10$. The metal ones don't break with age or pressure. They also seal better due to the similarity of thermal expansion coefficients for the metals. I would estimate 1 hour for a good shop. Don't let them sell you a coolant flush and so on.

The other bypass tube is about 4-5 inches lower on a 45 deg. line behind the one you see. With a flashlight you may spot it between the idler frame and the block.

Here's a video which should look much like your car.

Good luck.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

@imidazol97 said:
    Good luck.

thanks and where is the video link???

• Options

I will keep you guys updated!

• Options

I think this is what you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ6QpgLdzuU

• Options
    gpboy06gpboy06 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Pontiac grand Prix base with the 3.8 series 2. I noticed a coolant leak and can not find it. Looked at the oil its not milky in any way and it's doesn't have white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. Was told it was a head gasket,intake manifold leak ( looked up symptoms and I have none of these problems) just the coolant leak from passenger side engine 
  • Options

I think this is what you want:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ6QpgLdzuU