Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

95 Windstar Power Steering Noise?

drmurdocdrmurdoc Posts: 13
edited April 2014 in Ford
My 95 Windstar recently started making a noise when you turn the steering wheel to the left or right. Going straight, no noise. I am 99% positive the noise is coming from the pump.

I replaced the pump, the noise is still there, now even a little louder. Any thoughts on what it could be? Is something wrong with the rack?

Comments

• jvirginiajvirginia Posts: 65
    My '96 Windstar had almost the identical problem develop with the power steering. I replaced the pump also, and while doing so, flushed out the system. I discovered the fluid was much thicker than it was supposed to be and also some clumps had formed (coagulated). I followed the installation instructions carefully with respect to bleeding air out of the system. The replacement pump was much louder than the one I replaced. I soon discovered the following:

-the auto parts shop where I had purchased the replacement pump also provided me with dexron/mercon III transmission fluid for use in the system. They told me this is what Ford uses in all their power steering systems. THIS IS WRONG. Ford uses Type F transmission fluid in their power steering systems.

If normal power steering fluid, mercon/dexron III fluid, or any power steering conditioners are added to a Ford power steering system the following may/will occur:

- the fluids will clump (coagulate)
    - the system seals and gaskets will begin to break down
    - the pump will squeal and whine very loudly

I flushed all the mercon/dexron fluid out of my system (a messy job) and replaced with the Type F fluid. The pump immediately started to quiet down and the noises when turning (even on hard turns) disappeared. After approx 1 week, the pump was as close to the normal operating noise level as I could attain. Slightly louder than the original but not a nuisance.
This discussion has been closed.