Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Altima

Comments

• stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    That's funny, I didn't even notice that the passenger door lock wasn't there when I was checking out the Altima (or a Maxima for that matter). I hadn't thought much about it before, but I would not be surprised to find that car keys, in general, are on the endangered list. It's sort of like how ash trays have been unceremoniously phased out of most cars. I've never used the keys on either door of my 2 year old car nor have I EVER used the passenger door key lock on my 6 year old vehicle, both of which have remote entry. I guess I could go either way on this one. On the one hand, why pay for anything I don't use or need? On the other hand, I'm a bit of a pack rat so I sometimes tend to want to hold on to things even when they no longer serve a useful purpose.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Look at new cars. VW, Nissan and a host of other companies have eliminated the passenger door lock. It never really gets used and on a four door car it seems making all the righthand passenger handles without locks would help eliminate manufacturing errors and cut some tooling costs.
  • jeffreykluvejeffreykluve Member Posts: 4
    I'm helping a friend buy an Altima and a dealer about 2 hours away said he'll sell anything for $200 over invoice. This seems good on such a new model. I'm thinking I'm not going to do any better. Anyone want to weigh in? Thanks.
  • ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    The $200 over invoice does that price include destination charges and Advertising charges?Check it out before you commit.What STate are you in?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Actually, if the car is sold in LHD markets, they need a key hole there anyway.

-juice
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I'd suggest calling up the dealer and asking for an "out-the-door" quote on the Altima your friend wants, including any documentation fees, taxes, etc. That way, he/she won't drive 2 hours just to be ripped off by a $500 undercoating charge or a $500 documentation fee.
  • krym23krym23 Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a car in a few months and I have had my eye set on the new altima. Everyone has been telling me to be leary of buying a brand new car (i.e. depreciation costs, recalls, etc.) And I have to say, that this will be my very first car. My second option would be a pre-owned 01' passat. What do you think?
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    That the Altima has always had an IRS but they put an axle on the Maxima and Sentra. You would think the Sentra's would have IRS, the Altima should have a rear beam and the Maxima should have IRS (but it will get that for 03).

I REALLY think the Sentra SE-R V Spec should have an IRS. It really upsets me for performance issues!

I'm SOOOOOOO confused with Nissan sometimes!
    Tiffany: there are lots of pros and cons to buying new. You do get a bumper-to-bumper warranty for several years, so you're usually covered until it's paid off. You get the new car smell, and a trendy new design in the Altima. Interest rates are lower if you borrow, and of course the car is brand new.

The Passat had a 10/100k powertrain warranty, but it was transferable only to family members. That means you are not covered unless you buy it from your brother. VW changed that for 2002.

Depends on your needs and what kind of price advantage the used car carries. Nissan carries an edge in reliability over VW, FWIW.

-juice
    As the owner of both a Nissan and VW, I'd put my money on Nissan everyday and twice on Sunday. VW makes nice feeling cars that do not hold up well and are extremely pricey to fix. The altima's all new but it's backed by a rock solid company with lots of kudos for quality.

Only big deal I've found with Nissans is that they eat brakes.
  • krym23krym23 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your help guys. This is really going to be a big decision for me. The only thing about the new car is the whopping increase in insurance rates. But all that's well, will end well.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Tiffany: If you can afford the time, roam the Passat boards to get a feeling for reliability and repair issues. It's my sense that Passats are wonderful cars to drive but not necessarily to own. See what you think. Also try to check out the reputation of your local Nissan and VW dealerships where you will be getting your repairs. Good luck!
  • himomerhimomer Member Posts: 59
    I was killing time just roaming around the different areas of edmunds, and came across the most researched cars page, #1 was accord, 2 camry, 3 altima. I wonder if the 03 accord will knock the camry down a slot
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I finally got around to test driving the Altima and I must say, I was very impressed. I drove a Mystic Emerald SL, which felt like a V6. I didn't have time to compare it to the V6 Altima SE. After hearing all the negative comments on the interior, I looked it over more carefully than usual. I also put more emphasis on the feel of seats, etc. Honestly, I didn't think that the interior was bad at all. The switches did not feel flimsy or easily breakable or anything like that. I wasn't crazy about the feel of the leather, it did feel hard, but other than that, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I currently drive a 2000 Camry LE V6, so while my standards are pretty high, it's not like I'm driving a Lexus or an Audi or something. So maybe my expectations are not in the stratosphere for a family sedan. The interiors seemed pretty similar, although the control stalks on the Altima were a bit "stubby", but they worked well. The 4-cyl Altima felt faster than my V6 Camry and had better handling. However, I do think that my Camry has a slightly smoother and quieter ride, which is what I would have expected. The Altima was pretty quiet and smooth for a 4-cylinder. I really enjoyed driving it and I was very comfortable in the driver's seat.

Here are some of my observed pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Beautiful and sporty styling
    2) Impressive power for a 4-cylinder
    3) Very good handling (more confidence inspiring on curves than my Camry)
    4) Better gas mileage (than my V6)
    5) Huge 20 gallon gas tank (for more time between fill ups)
    6) Smooth and quiet ride (for a 4-cyl)
    7) Auto up and down power windows for both driver and passenger side
    8) Roomy trunk and passenger space (lots of rear seat room and head room)
    9) Comfortable driving position
    10) Tilt and telescopic wheel
    11) Radio and in-dash 6CD system (radio lists call letters and type of music for each station)
    12) Trip computer and outside temperature gauge (also used word descriptions for weather conditions)
    13) Trunk release located on driver's door (I wish the gas door release was also put here)
    14) Excellent reliability history for previous gen Altimas
    15) 16 inch wheels on SL
    16) Beautiful and sporty styling (worth mentioning twice, this is one sharp looking car!!)

Cons:
    1) Hard feeling leather in SL
    2) No hydraulic supports for hood (my Camry has this)
    3) Gooseneck hinges in trunk (not a huge deal, my Camry also has this, but the Passat has cool hydraulic struts here too)
    4) Neon orange-yellow lighting in dashboard (this would take some getting used to, however, you can dim it a little to make it easier on the eyes)
    5) Some small fit and finish details, like the way the switch for the gas tank just protrudes from a rough cutout in the floor carpet (my car could use some work in this area also)

These are all of the comments I can think of from my driving experience. I do have some questions about what is available for the V6, but not for the 4, but I'll list those some other time.

All in all, this was a very good test drive. I didn't want to come back to the dealership. I was very impressed and I couldn't stop staring at the car, it is really, really sharp. I like the fact that it's a beautifully styled car, with a sporty look and feel, but with the practicality of a family sedan. It's like having your cake and ice cream too. And having an award-winning Nissan engine (as well as reliability) is a definite plus. My car seems so plain in comparison, although she has never let me down and has performed flawlessly. My Camry simply does not have the pizzazz of the Altima. Oh well.

There was only one thing that bothered me, before I got the chance to drive off, the radio went dead. I asked the salesman about it and he said that it sounded like the amp blew because someone had the bass up at the maximum. He also admitted that they had been having problems with the Bose systems, but not the Clarion systems in the S. While I was impressed by his honesty (or so it appeared) I was a bit troubled by the prospect of having the radio system fail on a car with less than 200 miles on the odo. Although this has nothing to do with the actual mechanical performance of the car, it would still be bothersome to me. Plus, it meant that I didn't get to hear the sound system in my test drive. And let's face it, I must have some music when I drive. I hope Nissan corrects this issue.

If I were ready to trade now, I would probably get the Altima. And I still might when the time comes. It does seem to be the cure for the common car. Like anything else, it's not perfect and could use some improvements, but overall it's an impressive package. I was leaning toward the Passat as my next vehicle (although the reliability issue was a real sticking point) but now I'm leaning more toward the new Altima. Now for the hardest part, the waiting (sigh) .....

Just my two(?) cents .....

SilverCrown
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Everytime I go see the new Altimas, I don't want to leave. I can't wait to buy my Altima!!!
  • cwbarrettcwbarrett Member Posts: 40
    My 94 Altima has 175,000 faithful miles but its time to move on. I took the S standard and automatic for test drives and agree with most of the reviews. Enough power for the automatic 4 to shift smoothly. The standard is a bit rigid getting from gear to gear. My 94SE was like that at the beginning but the grove wore in. Plenty of room. The S I looked at was pewter with black leather interior. Yep, the leather was after market and it is sweet. I thought I was all set to buy a SL until I looked at the Nissan factory "leather". What the heck is that? Vinyl? Polyrazamataz?. And the fit was poor. Oh well, I'm going to see if my dealer will order me the car and options I want on a S and then go to the after market leather guy to get the real stuff. I'm looking at 1.5% over invoice but there is a $249 conveyance fee which is really just more markup so I'm really looking at close to 3%. Still not bad I think. They also tag on a $300 advertising fee but from my research that seems legit.
    I'm concerned about the Bose comments. My salesman said he could put me in cars with both sound systems and claims I'd like the standard sound system better. Has anyone compared the two? I crank the tunes from time to time and hate it distorded. I'd hate it worse if it blows fuses.
    cwbarrett: If you read the Infiniti posts (I30 & I35) plus Maxima posts, you will find frequent dissatisfaction with the Bose sound systems used by all those cars. I fear Nissan allied itself with the wrong outfit when they chose Bose, a controversial company in audiophile circles. The two most frequent complaints about the Bose system are that the bass is too boomy and the system is very difficult to upgrade if you don't like the way it sounds. If you go with the standard system you will save money and have a system that is far easier to upgrade than the Bose. But listen to both. Your ears are the best judge.
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    I just got a call from my salesperson today saying that Nissan Is no longer going to ship Altimas with the factory wood interior. I personally like hte factory stuff more than the stick on aftermarket. Mostly because of teh way the factory stuff actually conforms to the curves of th e interior and sometimes replaces a part and not just covers the top of it
    The wood is so cheap looking. If this is true, that means one of the improvements I hope happen for the 2003 Altima has already happend. Now, Nissan get rid of the shaking center console.
    Just another look at the Altima and Maxima at the DC Auto Show. Also got a chance to compare it to the Accord and Camry back to back, even the Passat, Galant, Sonata, and Optima.

Overall, I think the Altima is about the same as the Maxima, no better no worse. Same with the Camry and Accord. The carpets are pretty much all cheap and thin, and the headliners are like mouse fur.

Interestingly, I did notice Kia and Hyundai are trying harder. The headliner in those is padded and covered with a cloth material. Same with the Galant and Passat. Kia and Hyundai also have articulating hinges for the trunk, as does the Passat. Toyota has a cover for the gooseneck hinges, so give them half credit.

But honestly, I think Nissan benchmarked the Accord and Camry and pretty much matched those. It isn't until you step up to a TL or especially the ES that you notice substantially better interiors.

-juice
    Storyteller and all - Thanks for taking the time to post. It really is helpful. I picked up a silver 2.5S automatic with aftermarket black leather, greenish marble wood trim (not sure what to call it but it looks nice) and spoiler. 2.5% over invoice when I factored in the bogus fees. Of course based on the posts here and carbuyingtips.com I worked my over invoice percentage after I got an "Out the Door" (tax, tag, prep)cost. Look to see what fees should be counted as markup and deal with it. I dropped my quest for the upgraded sound based on these posts. It sounds like I dodged a bullet on that one. They were letting some 2.5S packages go for as little as 1.5% (then added $249 conveyance & $300 advertising fees). Bottom line - I love the car. I think getting 2.5% over invoice is a fair deal for me and the dealer. I don't know why edmunds continues to list the TMV the same as MSRP. It makes me feel good but everyone should know that there are deals out there. Always work from invoice up. Never MSRP down. Take the deal home and put it in a spreadsheet or take your laptop with you. I'll report in again after I've had the car for a while. If it runs like my 94SE did I'll be a happy camper. Thanks again.
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    CWBarrett where did you buy your Altima? CarsDirect now sells them with a $1,000.00 discount, did you do better than that?

Frankpcb
    Frankpcb
    Yes it was about $1,600 under MSRP before they added back the 300 ad fee and 249 conveyance. I bought it in New Haven CT. So I guess I did about the same as what you see in CarsDirect. I don't know if Cars Direct has any fees. The after market stuff was bought at MSRP. I know the dealer paid less but don't know how much. I'm sure he made a little extra there but I couldn't help myself.
    cwbarrett: Congratulations! I think for most buyers, the 2.5S makes the most sense. It's what I'd go for, and silver looks great on this car. You got a deal so good that you shouldn't spoil the fun by worrying if you could have beaten the dealer down another buck or two. We're all going to look forward to hearing how you and the new ride are getting along. Have fun and keep in touch. :-)
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Your comment that "Nissans eat brakes" may be accurate in your case,but cannot be construed as an across the board statement.
    How long your brakes last on a Nissan is directly proportional to your driving style and type.
    In the 20yrs. that I've been driving Nissans, I've owned an Altima, P'up and two Maximas and with each vehicle I've gotten about 65,000 miles
    from the brakes. My driving style is conservative
    with 85% Hwy. driving. BTW, these vehicles also
    do not eat clutches ( approx. 125,000 mi ), again
    a function of style and type of driving. Yes, there are exceptions , but generally Nissans
    don't have a problem with this.
    Actually if you look at CR's breakdown of problem areas, many, many, many Nissans have problems with brakes. Part of the problem comes from replacement. For some reason Nissans essentially demand factory brakes and when you go aftermarket outside of Nissan you run into problems.

If you don't believe Consumer Reports, talk to mechanics. Even the cats at the Nissan dealership admit to this.

I stand by my earlier declaration, Nissans eat brakes. If that's the worst that can be said of a car, I'd say that's pretty impressive.
  • ylekiot1ylekiot1 Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking at the car since it arrived at the dealership back in September. I finally ordered one and got it in the middle of December. I noticed the build date on mine was Dec/01 and that the build quality was much better than the cars that first came out before December. The side mirrors were not as loose, same with the grill, the center console, the headlight assembly and the trim piece along the side of the top of the car. Has anyone else noticed this? I bought the 2.5S manual w/o the conv package and for some reason have the alarm system. The nissan website states that the vehicle alarm system comes only with the S as part of the convenience package. Did they change build requirements at the start of Dec?
    yLEKIOT1: WHERE DID YOU FIND THE BUILD DATE ON YOUR Altima.Is it on the door?BTW, Congrats on your new car. Enjoy.
  • rvideenrvideen Member Posts: 5
    I bought my wife a 2002 Nissan Altimas 2.5 (silver with charcoal interior). It's our first Nissan and first foreign car we've owned.
    I keep seeing posts on aftermarket dash items in wood grain. Do all dealers handle this or is there a web site you can purchase this at. Does it go over the radio and temperature controls?
    How is it installed (sticky back tape?)
    thanks in advance.
    rvideen: One of the bigger manufacturers of aftermarket genuine wood (or carbon fiber or brushed aluminum) dash trim is Joshua Tree. Web site: www.woodtrim.com. If you plug in the right data they lead you to a diagram of the various pieces and you can see it wouldn't be a difficult job to install. I think you peel off a backing to reveal a good 3M adhesive, and the parts are laser-cut. Many dealers have their own installers and suppliers for this.
    Build date should be on the driver's side in the door jamb.

-juice
    This is off topic BTW

I have tried e-mailing you, but your e-mail watcher will not allow me to come through. I don't understand that. Anyway, have a happy new year. That goes for everybody!
  • hawks1hawks1 Member Posts: 57
    I've seen some recent post concerning after-market leather for the Altima 2.5S. Realizing this cost would obviously vary by location, what would one generally expect to pay for such installation?
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    Dealer installed leather can be very cost effective. In my store, we pay around 900 for it, and retail is 1295. It was very popular when the Altimas first came out with that. Hope that helps.

Sid.
    I've been quoted $900 for leather, $1200 with seat heaters. That was before bargaining.

-juice
  • dsgnrdsgnr Member Posts: 5
    I'm interested in a silver 2002 Altima 2.5 S with convenience package, but it appears that very few of the ones I have seen are equipped with foglights. Is there a reason for this? I would prefer foglights over the blacked-out holes in the front fender. Could a dealer locate a car without foglights and then install them relatively easily? Just curious. Thanks!
  • sonny_k9sonny_k9 Member Posts: 15
    I am falling in love with the new Altima. Its got everything I've always wanted in a car. I am looking to purchase a 2.5S manual with none of the available options. What do you think would be a good price, can I expect to purchase one at invoice? Can anybody recommend a good dealership in the tri state area?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Not sure how much the dealer would charge to install them, but it's definitely doable. Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com) has the foglight kit for $200, and there are detailed instructions on how to install them here:

http://www.paulwendy.com/altima/fogs/index.htm
    Sonny K9: Are you in The NY tri state area. If you are I always see Star Nissan advertise the 2.5S manual For $16499.00 every Friday in the New York Newsday.They seem to be a pretty straight forward dealership. I was dealing with State Line Nissan and they also seem to be easy to deal it. The Inventory manager, Alex, told me he would show me his invoice and I make him an offer and if it's a fair and resonable offer he would not refuse plus tax and title and may be an extended warranty if I want or any other Nissan Aceesories.That part is for the F&I (finance and Insurance)guy.
  • lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    can you tell us what the negotiated price was? and was this at the time of purchase?

i already have my 3.5 SE but my girlfriend thinks my car is just a "regular" car. Main reason being the cloth seats. I'm looking to get leather with seat heaters sometime soon.

I wonder if they can put the seat heaters in the rear seats as well.

Thanks buddy
    Actually, I just casually asked when I was getting a moonroof installed. I didn't actually install the leather. This was in 1998 at Adler & Mandell in Rockville, MD.

I say you do a few full-throttle merges onto a highway to show her that 240 horses are certainly not "regular".

What does she drive, a Bimmer?

-juice
    she must drive a BMW M5 or M3 or something. The Altima just "ain't" no regular car. Even the 2.5S without anything is special to me....
    ahossa: wow thats even lower than the invoice they have on carsdriect. Maybe it doesn't include the destination charge. But its still at invoice I would think. And I meant the DC tri state, sorry abt that.

Is there any option worth getting? I am sure I will dislike the bose stereo just as much as the stock. Leather gets too hot in the summers plus it wears out just about the time you think of trading your car in. I don't want to get the whole C package just for the alloys. Anything?
    Does applying online at the nissan website for pre approval a good idea. I mean do they put that on my credit history? I plan on shopping around for a car loan and I don't want the last guy to see 5 credit applications already on Credit report.
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    Hey Sonny

I sell in the tri-state area. You can find a 2.5S in stick pretty easily. The ones I've seen have come with mats, micofilter, splashguards and the auto-dimming mirror. Email me at sdawson713@hotmail.com if you need for info.

Sid
  • bfyerxabfyerxa Member Posts: 78
    My wife and I are cross shopping the Altima, Accord, and Camry. Test drove a 2.5S 5 speed today. I really wanted to like this car while my wife did not (Honda diehard), but we both agreed to keep an open mind. Here are my impressions:
    - Engine was what I expected; smooth, powerful and a little noisy
    - handling and brakes were great (again as I expected)
    - found the ride and road noise much better than I expected
    - cheap interior is evident which scares me (squeaks and rattles put me in the looney bin)
    - a lot of nice features, e.g., power outlet in center console

The big problem was with the ergos. We found that to fully depress the clutch the seat had to be moved up way too much compared to the brake and gas. The clutch had a very long throw and seemed it did not need to be depressed nearly the amount of full travel to disengage it fully. I am 5'10" and my wife is 5'2". I was able to live with it but my wife has short legs (even for 5'2"), i.e., she "sits" almost as high as I do. I thought the telescoping steering wheel would be a bonus for this type of scenario but she found that even with the wheel jammed forward she had to practically have the wheel in her face to deal with the clutch. It seems the ergos are aimed at taller people.

What's the deal? Is it just this particular car being improperly set up? My wife walked away saying no way to the car, but I do not want to turn my back on this car until I am assured this is the way it is. How do other shorter drivers find this car (especially the manual transmission)?

Thanks.
    Sonny, the application is fine and won't hurt you in the least. Often it makes sense to shop for a car with pre-approval (usually a loan guarantee letter from say Peoplefirst or a credit agency). Just because you're pre-approved, that doesn't mean you've accepted the loan so dealerships or others who may offer financing won't even see that you've been approved for a loan.

Don't sweat it. If you get pre-approved for a Nissan loan and it's the best rate then you can enter a nissan dealership and ONLY haggle on out the door price. Don't even play the foursquare game and tell them you're paying cash. Once you agree upon a price, then slap down your approval and you're done. Personally, while it's fun to wring out salesmen weaned on their insipid 4 square sheet, I'm prone now to using Costco or other email programs to get a straight 100-200 over invoice price and not hassle.
  • stebustebu Member Posts: 204
    My wife (barely 5') and myself (slightly more then 6') are somewhat of a litmus test for car sizing. And I can tell you that many manually equipped cars don't pass muster. Usually, the problem is that my wife can't fully depress the clutch and remain properly seated. In the past, she has added pillows behind her back. This puts her too close to the steering wheel which is a real concern with an air bag installed.

When we shopped cars a couple of years ago, the Audi A4, VW Passat, and Toyota Solara all flunked. The Accord Coupe, Acura CL and Infiniti G20 passed. We recently tried the new Altima at a car show, it unfortunately had an automatic, but it seemed to have adjustments to spare for both of us so I was hopeful that it won't be a problem with a manual.
  • jf_spadejf_spade Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2.5 S w/ manual and I don't have any problems with the clutch. I'm about 5'6" and my wife is 5'. She doesn't have a problem with the clutch either. I have to stretch my leg a little if I need to fully depress the clutch, but when driving neither of us have to depress the clutch fully to disengage and shift. To me the clutch is very light and you only have to press on it very little to shift. My brother noticed the same thing when he drove it around the block. When comparing it to my wife's car ('98 Mitsubishi Eclipse), the Altima feels easier to shift and drive.
    If you don't fit, don't buy it. Seriously, I can't think of anything more important than basic comfort behind the wheel.

Adjustable pedals are offered on some Fords, and pedal extenders are available for just about any car. You may want to consider those as an alternative.

I have long legs, so I have the opposite problem. My Miata's tight, my Forester is roomy. So I bet the Miata would pass your test but the Forester would fail.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.