Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• suq03suq03 Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2003 Limited and within the past few weeks have also experienced the intermittent fuel gage failure. I did not see any replies to your posting.

Did your dealership or a service tech have a remedy for your problem?

The electronic DTE gage seems to continue to accurately determine the distance to empty even while the gage is malfunctioning.

Suggestions?
  • suq03suq03 Member Posts: 3
    After starting my 2003 Limited, the fuel gage remains in a below empty state. It slowly creeps it way back up to a normal reading after about 30 -45 minutes in drive. It seems that the electronic DTE gage continues to operate correctly even during the malfunction. The problem seems to occur when the tank is less than 1/2 full.

Any suggestions or remedies?

millarhome@bellsouth.net
  • puma5775puma5775 Member Posts: 1
    please tell me how to access TSBs. just got a 05 Sequoia
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    If your 2004 was having braking problems, then it's not the same TSB that applies to the 2001-2002 Sequoias. The TSB for these vehicles was Pads and Calipers, but not rotors. BR05-002
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Member Posts: 67
    The work order states: Replaced front brakes, rotors, calipers, upgrade per TSB. Under parts it lists two caliper assemblys and two front disks. Is there more than one brake TSB for this vintage vehicle (early 2002)?
  • mike28mike28 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Sequoia 4x4. I have notice a loud bang coming from underneath the vehicle on several occasions. Have you determined what the problem may be?
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    As I mentioned on my original response, the rotors are replaced if they've already been turned once. But of course, this would be at the descretion of the dealer. You're reading your workorder, I'm reading the TSB. Rotors are not upgraded, same size. Calipers and pads are bigger, covering a larger area of the rotor.
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    I finally got around to asking my dealership about the sulfur/rotten egg smell TSB and catalytic converter fix. Their first response (after supposedly looking this up on their system) was that the only TSB addressing the sulfur odor was in 2003 and that there was no fix. They said that they also checked recalls and there were none. I questioned this, telling them that I was sure that there was a more recent TSB and then they did come back with the TSB for the fix issued June or July this year. I did not get it done today due to time constraints, but it is for something like 96 months, 100,000 miles, so I have some time to get it addressed later.

I just wanted to let people know that this TSB does exist and you should not let the dealership pull the wool over your eyes if they try to tell you otherwise. I left the paperwork in my car, but I will post the actual TSB number and information later for anyone interested. It is for 2001 - 2004 Sequoias with the sulfur/rotten egg smell in the exhaust. The TSB says the smell usually occurs during stop and go traffic or upon acceleration. Mine is mostly noticeable in stop and go.
    The TSB # is EG021-04 and states: "Some customers may complain of excessive sulfur dioxide odor on 2001 - 2004 model year Sequoia vehicles under the following conditions:
    - Stop and go driving
    - Heavy acceleration
    In order to reduce the sulfur dioxide odor the Electronic Control Module (ECM) fuel cut control logic has been modified and a new catalyst is provided. Follow the repair procedure to reflash the ECM and replace the catalytic converter assembly."

Some of the later 2004 models had a production change, so this does not apply to all 2004's. The repair is covered under the Toyota Specific Major Emission Control Component Warranty which is for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever comes first.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    Is this the same JJ35 who was very vocal and negative about an alledged Sienna sludge situation some time ago? I thought you swore you would "never buy another Toyota" then, but now you have a Sequoia. What happened to change your mind about Toyota?
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Many have complained about the poor front lighting of the Sequoia. If anyone is interested in a mod to allow the front map lights to act as dome lights let me know. I picked up on the mod from an on-line club I belong to. I did mine yesterday and it was pretty simple.
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    wow what a cool mod. I would be very interested!!!
    Here's the instructions from Scott. I wish I could give him proper credit but I can't name the site here.

1.Pull down front light. 2 Screws in the sunglass holder area then there are 2 snaps that you must release. Comes out pretty easy.
    2.Unplug from harness then take to work bench.
    3.Locate White wire on dome lamps. These are the ones that control the light on & off. They work off ground so when you push the switch they get ground.
    4.Solder a 1amp diode with the stripe facing away from the light. Do this on both sides to make sure that they are isolated from each other so when one light is turned on the other will not come on.
    5.Run wire (18ga)to rear dome light and solder the end of it to the middle wire which is also white.
    6.That’s it!! Now you have front dome lights when the doors are open. They will function just like normal when the button is pressed.
    Yes, I was negative about a sludge situation, however it was real, not alleged. Anyone would be negative if told that their 1 yr. old van required a $3,000 engine repair not covered under warranty. I am over that now, because Toyota made amends and proved to me that they really wanted to keep me as a customer. I am a happy Sequoia owner now and have put my Sienna behind me and would prefer to keep it that way.
  • pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    I'm pleased to hear that your experience with Toyota turned out the way it did. I hope your Sequoia treats you well. It's a good vehicle, and I honestly believe Toyota is one of the better automakers out there today.
  • chenchen Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 4x4 limited that sound like it has the same/similar problem as yours where every time the SUV stop, it makes a "thud" noise. This happens every time I stop the SUV, and as I release the brake pedal and move my foot to the gas pedal, I can hear a "thud" sound, and at the same time, my foot can feel that the brake pedal is "kicking back" with a 1/2 second delay. It is more noticeable when the SUV is stopped when the vehicle is going down slope. I have not take it to the dealer yet since it is just an annoyance. Any idea?
    When was the last time you greased the drive shaft?
  • teamgomezteamgomez Member Posts: 17
    Looking to install the Rosen AV9 mobile DVD player. Anybody dunnit on an 04 Seq w/ sunroof?
  • chenchen Member Posts: 2
    I have never grease the drive shaft on my 2003 4x4. Is this something that I can do it myself, or I need to send it to the dealer? By the way, I thought this is a brake problem.
  • mannyboymannyboy Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2001 Limited I can smell it when I accelerate especially my back window is open, what do I tell the dealer?, and does it change the performance of the Sequoia?, and how can I tell if the dealer will fix it or not?, they fooled me with my AC unit before but they finally fix that problem, what is TSB stands for?, please tell me more about this before I go to my dealer. Thanks
    The thud you feel is the slack being taken up in your driveshaft. Go buy a grease gun with a tube of muti-purpose grease. There's a couple grease fittings on the drive shaft. Pump them full of grease and that will eliminate the "thud". Toyota recommends this be done every oil change.
  • bama2bama2 Member Posts: 5
    I have an 03 SR5 when i 1st crank there is an engine noise started at about 15k miles dealer says that's normal. motor sounds like it's not getting oil all maint. has been done at local dealer they use 10w30 oil i have questioned several times by they that is best for my area which is Alabama. noise last for several minutes or if driving about 1/2 mile has anyone else had this problem any ideas or help would be great. A BIG thanks to jj35 for sulfur TSB i have that issue as well. thanks in advance for every ones input.
    you are not alone i have the same issue just posted a question about it thinking i was the exception till i takled to a buddy with a tundra who has same issue.there is a web site for piston slap(just enter piston slap and you will find links) i traded a trailblaze last year for that very reason do tell me i now have an SR5 with the same issue.
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    2 possibilities:

1)It's piston slap but MANY people never notice it because it does not get cold enough in their areas. Pretty much all the Tundra's and Sequoia's have it. My neighbors Lexus and Infiniti have it also. The problem (which isn't really) is the pistons are a lightweight forged alloy with short skirts that contract more then the block does when it gets cold. As soon as they heat up and expand it all goes away. Some of the people have been complaining since day 1 and are now at 150k or more and still don't burn oil. I wouldn't worry about it (and don't)

2) Possibly a cracked exhaust manifold (which happened on many of the 4.7L) same deal when cold you hear it like a ticking or tapping and in a couple minutes goes away. A little more difficult to diagnose because the weather has to be right. Sitting inside a repair shop overnight might be too warm., by the time you drive too shop it's already warm. Might have to leave it overnight outside shop to diagnose (I had a problem with my old Explorer Tranny when cold below 30f, they had it for a week and couldn't find a problem becuase it sat inside shop 60f+ overnight for the week)
  • erichkerichk Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the info on the overhead lighting. annoying is'nt it? i will be doing this upgrade asap. also should'nt the visors have illuminated vanity lights? how cheap. also as far as the sulfur smell, i have this too on my 03 sr-5. is this condition causing any harm to the truck or is it just an annoyance? i am not tempted to go have it fixed unless it is adversely effecting the engine/mileage. my experience with the local dealers havent been the best. they are mostly incompetent.
    i have an 03 jbl 6 disk prem w/rear audio and i cant seem to find more than 6 speakers. am i missing them of did i get bee "s"ed by toyota?
    any recommendation on an aftermarket dvd player. i have an 03 sr5 w/rear audio option. now that the kids are getting bigger i wish i had the dvd set-up too. and what should i expect to pay for a system if i d i myself?
    is anyone getting an accurate reading out of this thing? mine is atleast 2 mpg optimic. also has anyone else found the speedo to read faster than actual. mine reads 70 when im going 67. i am thinking of going to a bigger than stock tire to cancel out the extra revs per mile. any experience there?? ok that enough ?? for today.
    1)Thanks for the info. You are right it started when it got cold here. If it's piston slap it sure sounds different that GM piston slap as Trailblazer would beat itself to death for about 30 seconds then stopped GM did offer to rebuild engine but they bought it back instead.

2)Mine sounds more like a cracked exhaust manifold i will take your lead with dealer.Any idea if it will burn values or hurt motor fixing to go about 900 mile trip? thanks again for your input
    jj35 where do you find detail on TSB i have seen them here on edmunds but no detail . thanks in advance
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I have an 04 also with the JBL system.The front doors have a 3-way set-up so thats a total of 6 speakers. The rear doors have a 2-way set up so thats 4 total. so theres where the 10 spakers are placed!
  • sequoiasoonsequoiasoon Member Posts: 223
    Cracked Manifold- easiest way to diagnose is to take a section a vacuum line and put it by exhaust manifold when first starting and other end to ear while moving around by manifold, shouldn't cause any problems for any trip. As it heats up it seals anyway because it's that small of a crack. There's another website that has A LOT info on this and other subjects. make your e-mail public for a day or 2 and I'll send you the link. Many people that had this problem also replaced with headers as they were cheaper with better quality, performance, with very minor increase in sound (since rest of exhaust stays the same).
  • rlermanrlerman Member Posts: 2
    I just brought this up with the service foreman yesterday when I brought my 04 SR5 in for a 1000 mile check. It is normal to hear clicking behind the AC area as these are relay switches, usually related to the vsc/traction control/4wd system/or the heating/cooling controls. There are something like 13 of these types of relays in there.
  • micheleket1micheleket1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Sequoia 4x4 with 90,000 miles on it. Every time I turn the truck on, the idiot lights for the Vehicle Skid Control and ABS stay on, letting me know the VSC and abs will not engage properly. When road conditions warrant use of these items, they don't work. Dealership has an eighteen hundred dollar plus solution to put in new computer to see if that fixes the problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Michele
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    I had this same problem with my 04 with 9k miles on it. Luckily next door to me is a mechanic and he had a scanning tool. The tool read out that it needed a new oxygen sensor. I went to the dealer and they re-scanned it and it said it needed the same thing. After a couple of days the part came in and it was fixed under warranty. My suggestion is to ask the dealer to scan the problem first and hopefully all it needs is a new oxygen sensor. Good Luck
  • sscssc Member Posts: 7
    Mine is an 05 limited Sequoia. The auxiliary fan kicks in every time the engine is ignited, creating a loud air turbulence. But it turns off after a couple minutes as the engine warms up. The problem is that the fan also kicks in for a few seconds every time the truck is accelerated from stop and go. The wind rushing noise thus created is very loud. Is it normal for the fan to kick in so often? Anyone else notices it?
    The local dealership gave me a copy of the full TSB. You can order them, too, but for a price. Try Alldata.com.
  • comatseacomatsea Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 ltd. with 48,000 miles. last winter seamed no problem, my husband and kids noticed the noise this Fall. I really noticed it when my kids kept turning the radio louder. The engine noise strarted the first time when the weather turned cold in the Boston area. Piston Slap????
  • mcgeemmcgeem Member Posts: 1
    rent a sequoia that has the same computer and swap the computer.
  • wgoblewgoble Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2002 SR5 and am having the exact same problem with the bullfrog like noise from the gas tank. The dealer has already checked this vehicle 4 times for various things including this noise but it never gets resolved. it seems it does it more after i drive for a good 15 minutes or so (maybe more pressure builds up). I was wondering if yours ever got resolved or if you have had any bigger problems within this same region of your vehicle. Please anyone have any suggestions!?

Wendigoble@yahoo.com
  • lawseqlawseq Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a similar prob w/ my '02 SR5 (58K), but it's infreq. Does the VSC/Trac lites have to be on to get the read out on the scranning tool?
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    I think that problem has been around since the beginning. I have an '01 and it make the bullfrog noise when the tank is low, maby one quarter. Do a search and you will find many other complaints and I think no resolution except keek your tank at least half full. It does go away when you release the pressure by opening the gas cap.
  • lawseqlawseq Member Posts: 2
    The rear axle bearing had to be replaced on my '02 SR5. Has anyone else ever had this problem w/ your Seq?

How about brake pad wear; how often have any of you had to replace them? I use to have to replace the front pads on my '82 Corolla every year like clock work.
  • sswangersswanger Member Posts: 1
    I've read about excessive bass and muffled sound from the JBL radio in Sequoias back to 2002. My new 2005 sequoia radio sounds awful. This is despite changing the amplifier at the dealer. I don't think it's the speakers because the CD player sounds fine. Has anybody noticed this? If so, is there a real fix??

This is my 5th toyota, (also the most expensive), and never had this problem before.
  • zebramorayzebramoray Member Posts: 18
    Have 500 miles on my new SR5, 2 wheel-drive.. Tire pressure light came on today.. Read in the manual to check tire pressure, recommended 32 psi on cold tires.. Checked tires, 25 psi.. Aired all 4 tires up to 32 psi, but warning light still on.. Manual said as soon as tire pressure is fixed, light will go off... Any Ideas?? I'm in Dallas, TX.. We just some cold weather yesterday, i'm wondering if I should add more tire pressure or call dealer..
    Why do you consider it a problem. It's just the fuel take letting off pressure after you shut it down. It has no affect on anything, especially since you're parking it and walking away. I had an 02 and now have an 04 and both did this. As picky as I am, this is one thing I don't care about.
  • 2toyotas2toyotas Member Posts: 104
    You have to fill the spare tire to 32 also. You have to lower it to do it, but it also has a sensor. I would fill the spare to 35 or 36 so you don't have to always do this.
    I was afraid of that.. I looked down there and saw that the air valve was pointing up, so I didn't want the hassel of lowering the tire.. Are you pretty sure that this will fix it? I was not aware of the Sequoia having tire pressure monitors.. And how the heck is it monitoring the spare??
    Inflated all tires to 32 psi, but light still on.. Performed the reset procedure outlined in the manual, still, light stays on.. Called dealer service dept, and they sounded like this was a common problem for the new 05's.. Will be taking in once they get my license plates in.. Other than that, ride is so smooth..
  • mbikr1mbikr1 Member Posts: 1
    I have one of the original '01 4X4 SR5's from November of '00. No major problems except for the passenger side mirror ( didn't go the full range ) and premature tire and brake changes. Standard sound system sucks. Other than that it's a champ where it counts, smoothness and reliability.

I noticed this thread from mstacy1 because I just bought a replacement part for my tailgate handle lock/latch because mine just broke too. I'd like to do it myself. Can anyone tell me how to easily remove the panel so I can do this myself? The dealers printout is not exactly helping me.

Also, has anyone noticed that as their Sequoia got older it feels like something is kinda grinding, whether in 4-wheel mode or not? I perform regular service so I'm pretty sure all the fluids are full.

Thx